Top Gun: Maverick

4,364 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boykin_spaniel
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Harrison Bergeron said:

cowboycwr said:

Finally got around to seeing it over the holidays. Good movie. We really enjoyed it. Even my dad who we often have to remind that movies aren't realistic because before the movie he was going on about how no way Maverick would still be flying, wouldn't have been forced out of the Navy, the whole plot was probably unrealistic because of stealth technology that would let a plane drop a bomb from miles and miles away and up, etc.

I had to remind him that for movie purposes it doesn't look good to show a bomber or fighter at 20,000 or 30,000 dropping a bomb/firing a missile and flying away while it goes on to the target but flying in at 200 feet and dropping bombs does look cool/good.
I bet your dad is a hoot to watch MCU movies with.

He won't even watch those at all yet he loves Star Trek and likes Star Wars……
Harrison Bergeron
cowboycwr said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

cowboycwr said:

Finally got around to seeing it over the holidays. Good movie. We really enjoyed it. Even my dad who we often have to remind that movies aren't realistic because before the movie he was going on about how no way Maverick would still be flying, wouldn't have been forced out of the Navy, the whole plot was probably unrealistic because of stealth technology that would let a plane drop a bomb from miles and miles away and up, etc.

I had to remind him that for movie purposes it doesn't look good to show a bomber or fighter at 20,000 or 30,000 dropping a bomb/firing a missile and flying away while it goes on to the target but flying in at 200 feet and dropping bombs does look cool/good.

Amazing ... pops sounds genuinely like a hoot! Does he lose his mind when no one thought to give the Stormtroopers mandatory range time each week?
4th and Inches
cowboycwr said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

cowboycwr said:

has he seen strange new worlds series on paramount plus? I Really like what they are doing so far!
SSadler
Hob Howelll said:

SPOILER ALERT

Wife and I saw it last weekend and we really enjoyed it. I think I would've had Maverick actually die after taking the missile for Rooster. Would've been a poetic and fitting conclusion to the whole lingering guilt/redemption thing.

I also thought it was kind of ironic that the one antagonistic Commander dude was lecturing Maverick about how the future of military fighters is in artificial intelligence, and I think that point was proven by the plot of the movie with the pilots blacking out. I'll admit I'm not a physicist nor expert on military aircraft
But Hob, then we have to have prequel and sequel story lines/actors for Maverick III, IV, V, et al.

I expect to see Maverick XIII with my great grandson some day. To date, my great grandson's dad is only 7 or 10 (depending on which is first to populate). And I'm a young 71, so give us all a couple of decades and the calendar math should work itself out.
fubar
SSadler said:

Hob Howelll said:

SPOILER ALERT

Wife and I saw it last weekend and we really enjoyed it. I think I would've had Maverick actually die after taking the missile for Rooster. Would've been a poetic and fitting conclusion to the whole lingering guilt/redemption thing.

I also thought it was kind of ironic that the one antagonistic Commander dude was lecturing Maverick about how the future of military fighters is in artificial intelligence, and I think that point was proven by the plot of the movie with the pilots blacking out. I'll admit I'm not a physicist nor expert on military aircraft
But Hob, then we have to have prequel and sequel story lines/actors for Maverick III, IV, V, et al.

I expect to see Maverick XIII with my great grandson some day. To date, my great grandson's dad is only 7 or 10 (depending on which is first to populate). And I'm a young 71, so give us all a couple of decades and the calendar math should work itself out.
In Airplane 2, there is a poster in the background of an airport scene with an ancient-looking dude, knobby knees, a caved in chest, and wearing boxing gloves under the caption "Rocky XXXVIII."

They were surprisingly close on that one.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
Sam Lowry
Harrison Bergeron said:

HalibutRetro said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I would argue that might be the best sequel ever made.
It's up there but Godfather II says hello.
but I realize I'm just employing mental gymnastics to justify my original point.
That's fine here, just don't go trying it on the R&P board.

Also...Aliens (57 years later).
Sam Lowry
cowboycwr said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

cowboycwr said:

Sounds like a wise man.
Harrison Bergeron
fubar said:

SSadler said:

Hob Howelll said:

SPOILER ALERT

In Airplane 2, there is a poster in the background of an airport scene with an ancient-looking dude, knobby knees, a caved in chest, and wearing boxing gloves under the caption "Rocky XXXVIII."

They were surprisingly close on that one.
Over the Christmas break watched and re-watched a bunch of the Rockies ... I had forgotten how many there are + the Creeds.
LIB,MR BEARS
The real-life Top Gun

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/20/asia/korean-war-fighter-pilot-soviet-shootdown-intl-hnk-ml/index.html
Jack Bauer
boykin_spaniel
Have seen Top Gun Maverick 3x now. It really brought back the summer blockbuster. A fun action film for anyone to enjoy. Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Bourne trilogy, etc. Maverick had action, humor, a few cheesy lines, and refreshingly not a ton of CGI. Not against a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy but a nice little break for real live fast fighter jets.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.