Return to Giant in Marfa

1,084 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aliceinbubbleland
drahthaar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My bride and I traveled to Marfa this Sunday for Kirby Warnock's film, Return to Giant, shown at the Hotel Paisano. Kirby was a history major at BU whose interest in oral history, the stories told by people who lived the history documented for permanence, under the influence of Tom Charlton. He lives on the family ranch outside Fort Stockton and knows the ranching families and other citizens of the Big Bend country.

Because of his interest in the movie, Giant, and his love of the people in this area, he had great motivation in interviewing the citizens and ranchers who were involved directly in the movie itself and some involved indirectly by their association with actors off-screen. Kirby's film contains personal interviews with the cast, including the only interview Dennis Hopper ever gave about the movie. It is fascinating stuff!

Return to Giant has been well-recognized and accumulated several awards, including one from SXSW recently. For anyone interested in the move, the film is a must-see. We enjoyed meeting the Warnocks and their West Texas friends, in addition to taking in the scenery.

Quite a privilege, Kirby. Thanks for showing this.

Addition:
Jane and I were wandering downtown Marfa Monday morning and struck up a conversation with a couple. Turns out, he was the director of marketing for Neiman-Marcus; knew Kirby from years back; and was responsible for some funding for the production of Kirby's film. They were unaware that this was being shown at the Paisano. WE live in a small world in many ways.
John Galt
this is excellent - thanks for sharing it. I am a big fan of Giant.
william
... and when is this, this long awaited still anticipated, Return to Bremond?

PA.

- UL

...and, as always, TIA.

BID.
Dale?
LIB,MR BEARS
william said:

... and when is this, this long awaited still anticipated, Return to Bremond?

PA.

- UL

...and, as always, TIA.

BID.

Word is that some big Washington money is trying to spike the project. Saw a couple of strangers in Groholski's and overheard them talking about this.

You didn't hear this from me.
Pecos 45
Thanks so much for your post, drahthaar.
It was a fun night, indeed.
Especially enjoyed having Lucy Garcia there. She's well into her 80s, but back in 1955, she hung out with James Dean!
We have some great interviews with her in the film.
Hoping to get RTG on a streaming service, soon, but Warner Bros owns it, and they just got bought out by Discovery, so it's a slow slog. We hope to have some other screenings around Texas in the coming months.

Here's Lucy Garcia in front of the Hotel Paisano in 1955 with a few "friends".
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Aliceinbubbleland
That was an awesome original movie. I recognize everyone in the cast except the two females. DId Lucy play the part of the Elizabeth Taylor's son whose name escapes me. The wimpy kid who wanted to become a doctor.
Pecos 45
Oh, no.
That "wimpy son" was Dennis Hopper.
Lucy was one, among many, Marfa women who hung around the set and the Hotel Paisano to be near James Dean.
Funny thing was that no one knew who he was.
Rebel Without a Cause and Giant were not released until after Dean's death.

Wild.

We have some great interviews with women (girls at the time) who dated Dean, or had him over at their house for a party.
He was the local favorite.

(And I think you are pulling my leg, Alice)
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Aliceinbubbleland
Nope. I was dead serious. It was one of my alltime favorite movies. Remember that scene when Hudson was in Maryland and he brought Liz to that (hold your ears, Pecos 45) gawd awful place.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.