Fly Fishing

8,821 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Courtesy_Flush
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone on here like to fly fish?

I'm looking into booking another trip, interested to hear your thoughts about destinations.

Anyone ever done a trip through yellowdog?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Heading to Colorado next week and make take my equipment.
Funky Town Bear
We fished the Provo outside of Park City last year. A gloriously beautiful natural fishery that can be done year round. That said, I want to hit the Green River North East of there.
Hubbs
I've just started getting into it. Been on a couple of guided trips the last two summers and now have the bug (like I need another expensive hobby). I've been looking for a new rod/reel combo but don't want to drop a ton on it until I know what I'm doing.

These are the guides I went with...missed the pink salmon run by a week, but did okay on rainbows.

Hubbs
Ultimate goal is to try fish here:

http://westcoastfishing.ca
Dia del DougO
I bought a fly rod a couple of months ago on sale, even though I haven't attempted to cast one since I was a kid. It's still bucket list type stuff. Never caught a fish on fly rig. I need to do this some time in the not so distant future.
greatdivide
Took a few guided trips in Colorado. Will probably retire there. What a life.

For those in the DFW area, this is a good event they do each year in the spring. http://trwdflyfest.com/ They stock the Trinity with trout as well. Not the South Platte but a lot closer/cheaper.
Courtesy_Flush
Where in Colorado? I was on the South Platte outside of Colorado Springs 2 weeks ago. Fishing was great! My wife and I both landed grand slams.
WILLIS
Go to Belize and catch bonefish around ambergris caye. Amazing time. Everyone speaks English too.

http://www.gofishbelize.com
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Courteous_Flush said:

Where in Colorado? I was on the South Platte outside of Colorado Springs 2 weeks ago. Fishing was great! My wife and I both landed grand slams.
Basalt, right between the Frying Pan and Roaring Fork..
mtbmarc
These short videos are pretty cool if you haven't seen them.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Good friend on here goes to Mexico every year and has a 7 day in a preserve. His catches are unreal.
mtbmarc
Brian Ethridge said:

Good friend on here goes to Mexico every year and has a 7 day in a preserve. His catches are unreal.
Wow. That sounds amazing. I'm new to the sport. I mostly fish conventional but I have a 3wt setup that I use for panfish and small bass on the Guad. I went out last weekend and caught nothing, but I did create an amazing wind knot in my leader : /
Mitch Blood Green
I'm interested in learning. Bass Pro in Grapevine offers a free class every Saturday morning.

I'd like to do a fishing trip in October.
Funky Town Bear
mtbmarc said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Wow. That sounds amazing. I'm new to the sport. I mostly fish conventional but I have a 3wt setup that I use for panfish and small bass on the Guad. I went out last weekend and caught nothing, but I did create an amazing wind knot in my leader : /

Using my TFO 3 wt on the Upper Guad is one of my favorite things in the world. The waters between Kerville and Comfort have some great little holes.
Hubbs
tommie said:

I'm interested in learning. Bass Pro in Grapevine offers a free class every Saturday morning.

Orvis also does free classes, a basic introductory and then with the follow up, they take you out to a local pond. I've done the first, not the second.
NoBSU
I am going to start. I have state and federal trout hatcheries that keep area creeks and streams well-stocked.

Can you rig a decent compact outfit for kayaking fishing that will work for trout and small mouth bass fishing depending on which river I am kayaking?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Hubbs said:

tommie said:

Orvis also does free classes, a basic introductory and then with the follow up, they take you out to a local pond. I've done the first, not the second.
I was taught by the old guy at Barlow's on 75. Haven't had a chance in some time, but may pick it back up with the kids.
HepCat
I have fly fished many places in the USA and several Salt water destinations. A trip I highly recommend is Campeche Mexico for baby tarpon. Campeche is a neat city and fishing can be fantastic. My last visit I landed 12 tarpon on the first day and a large snook. The largest tarpon weighed 29lbs.
mtbmarc
Funky Town Bear said:

mtbmarc said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Using my TFO 3 wt on the Upper Guad is one of my favorite things in the world. The waters between Kerville and Comfort have some great little holes.
My 3 wt is a TFO too. With a Lamson Liquid reel. I don't know much about fly rods but the TFO seems well made and is reasonably priced.

What type of flies do you typically use? I ask because I don't know what I'm doing : ) I have some small poppers and clousers in various colors. Also some very small creature baits like foam spiders. Targeting bluegill, Rio Grande perch, bass.

mtbmarc
HepCat said:

I have fly fished many places in the USA and several Salt water destinations. A trip I highly recommend is Campeche Mexico for baby tarpon. Campeche is a neat city and fishing can be fantastic. My last visit I landed 12 tarpon on the first day and a large snook. The largest tarpon weighed 29lbs.
Thanks for the suggestion. Never heard of this. I researched it a little bit today and it looks like something I would really enjoy, the fishing and the destination in general. And it's not that far away.
Funky Town Bear
mtbmarc said:

Funky Town Bear said:

mtbmarc said:

Brian Ethridge said:

My 3 wt is a TFO too. With a Lamson Liquid reel. I don't know much about fly rods but the TFO seems well made and is reasonably priced.

What type of flies do you typically use? I ask because I don't know what I'm doing : ) I have some small poppers and clousers in various colors. Also some very small creature baits like foam spiders. Targeting bluegill, Rio Grande perch, bass.

Bang for buck it's hard to beat a TFO. And they are local here to Dallas. I have done some crazy fishing with mine.

The flies I use for perch jerking in the Hill Country are typically small dries. I've found that those bluegills, RG Perch, Guad bass, longears, etc care more about seeing something moving than the actual bug itself. When you find a handful in some decent moving water, just let if float down to them and have fun.
Courtesy_Flush
I do an annual week long trip to Mexico at a fly fishing lodge in the sian ka'an biosphere (wild life reserve) fantastic fishing. Most permit and tarpon I've ever seen. Highly recommend going.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Courteous_Flush said:

I do an annual week long trip to Mexico at a fly fishing lodge in the sian ka'an biosphere (wild life reserve) fantastic fishing. Most permit and tarpon I've ever seen. Highly recommend going.
That's it. His permit he caught was a record, but all catch and release. Ridiculous fish in the picture.
Backporch
Y'all gotta head down to the Lower Laguna Madre on the Arroyo to fly fish for reds and trout. And if the conditions are right....tarpon.

Call up Ben Paschal. Highland Park young man that guided in Alaska and Chile for years now has home base here in Texas and in the Louisiana marsh for bull reds in the winter.

www.LagunaMadreOutfitters.com
ABC BEAR
Hubbs said:

Ultimate goal is to try fish here:

http://westcoastfishing.ca
How could you go wrong with a fishing guide named Gill?
LIB,MR BEARS
Wacoan, Pat Vanek guides on the Brazos below Whitney if you interested in large mouth on a fly. He is connected to Living Waters Flyfishing I believe.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Backporch said:

Y'all gotta head down to the Lower Laguna Madre on the Arroyo to fly fish for reds and trout. And if the conditions are right....tarpon.

Call up Ben Paschal. Highland Park young man that guided in Alaska and Chile for years now has home base here in Texas and in the Louisiana marsh for bull reds in the winter.

I'll be hitting up this place one day: Casa Blanca
nortbear91
Ive been fly fishing above Tahoe near Truckee Ca. Great fishing

Ive been 15 of last 18 years to southern Colorado near Antonio and fished the Canejos river. Great browns and rainbow and a few small cuts above the lake in upper elevations. Always go Mid July and typically dry fly only. Lots of success if you are willing to hike in and out to avoid the novice. Happy to share more if interested.
Ghostrider
Never been but always wanted to. Ever see bears when fly fishing?
Funky Town Bear
nortbear91 said:

Ive been fly fishing above Tahoe near Truckee Ca. Great fishing

Ive been 15 of last 18 years to southern Colorado near Antonio and fished the Canejos river. Great browns and rainbow and a few small cuts above the lake in upper elevations. Always go Mid July and typically dry fly only. Lots of success if you are willing to hike in and out to avoid the novice. Happy to share more if interested.
That sounds sublime. I've looked at heading up there and just never made it that far. I always get stuck in the Jemez south of there. Would love to hear more.
Backporch
Brian Ethridge said:

Backporch said:

I'll be hitting up this place one day: Casa Blanca
Go, it's epic. Look into Punta Allen and go to the Palometa Club. It's epic'er.

Also check out Holbox Fly Fishing Lodge.

The Campeche (stay at Tarpon Town) suggestion was a good one too.

For a real remote adventure check out Xcalek (Costa de Cocos) for fly fishing and diving.

Backporch
ghostrider said:

Never been but always wanted to. Ever see bears when fly fishing?
Yes go to Alaska.

You often share a fishing hole with 10 foot bears. It's a little nerve wracking at first but you get used to it when you realize they are just there to fish/eat and don't want to mess with you either.

Rule is give them their fishin hole and go find a new one.
Ghostrider
Do you carry a gun in Alaska for the bears?
Dia del DougO
I think a group fly fishing thing at the Guadalupe River would be the easist thing to start with. I've been wanting to go, fly fishing or just regularass light tackle. Its the closest river cold enough to keep a population of trout all year around, that live for years, and there are a few big 'uns in there.

Either that or a stocked lake with various stuff, regardless of stockers. There are a few near Waco.

Even Nolan Creek in Belton attracts a few fly fishermen early in the year. I just don't want to be the dufus out there by myself having no clue what I'm doing except looking like an idiot.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.