Fly Fishing

8,968 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Hubbs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We could get a group class together in the Dallas area:

https://tailwatersflyfishing.com/
Funky Town Bear
Dia del DougO said:

I think a group fly fishing thing at the Guadalupe River would be the easist thing to start with. I've been wanting to go, fly fishing or just regularass light tackle. Its the closest river cold enough to keep a population of trout all year around, that live for years, and there are a few big 'uns in there.

Either that or a stocked lake with various stuff, regardless of stockers. There are a few near Waco.

Even Nolan Creek in Belton attracts a few fly fishermen early in the year. I just don't want to be the dufus out there by myself having no clue what I'm doing except looking like an idiot.
Not a terrible idea, though it will need to be a more winter type adventure on the Guadalupe. While the water can support trout living, it's also pretty hard on the fish to fight in the summer due to the water warming up. I've floated/fished it from Sadler down and it was an absolute blast on a January morning. I'd definitely try to find a way to do it. The 3 weight is great fun down there.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Anybody done the Devil's trip?
Dia del DougO
Brian Ethridge said:

Not the fishing kind.
mtbmarc
Brian Ethridge said:

Never done it but I have seen the Yeti video (I love all of the Yeti shorts). That looks like my kind of trip. Fishing and paddling. Two of my favorite things.
WILLIS
Brian Ethridge said:

I did 50-60 miles floating on the pecos in college over a week period with my cousin. Pretty equivalent type river, rapids, fishing, pictographs and wild scenery. We didn't see a soul the entire trip. Have a lot more info I can pass along about it if you'd like. We're thinking about doing it again in May 2018.
william
nymphs emergers and drys - oh my!

- BUmma
>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
Dia del DougO
There will be nymphos?

I'm in.
saabing bear
Brian Ethridge
Staff
WILLIS said:

Brian Ethridge said:

I did 50-60 miles floating on the pecos in college over a week period with my cousin. Pretty equivalent type river, rapids, fishing, pictographs and wild scenery. We didn't see a soul the entire trip. Have a lot more info I can pass along about it if you'd like. We're thinking about doing it again in May 2018.
I hope to do that one day as well.

Jack and DP
Courtesy_Flush said:

Anyone on here like to fly fish?

I'm looking into booking another trip, interested to hear your thoughts about destinations.

Anyone ever done a trip through yellowdog?

I mess with it a bit. My 19 year old son (soph at Colorado School of Mines) has worked the last three summers here. https://www.henrysforkanglers.com

The former owner/ now managers son works for Yellowdog. Great outfit.
The fishing my son has gotten to do the past three summers is incredible. They are 30 miles from West Yellowstone in Idaho. On any given day, they might fish YNP, The Madison, Henry's Fork of the Snake, the Teton, The South Fork of the Snake, and many smaller streams. Their shops runs guided trips and has some of the best guides you'll find.
I did do a little fly fishing on the Guad near Kerrville the other day when we were down for my daughters camp pick up. Nice time with my 3wt glass rod.
Jack and DP
One of the kids vids. We fished the White River near Mountain Home, AR with big streamers.

Jack and DP
Typical off day for the boys from a couple years ago. This river runs out of the backside of the Tetons. They sometimes slide rafts down here and run some fishing trips.

Jack and DP
There's a stream near Mountain Home, Dry Run Creek, that is public, youth and handicap only, artificial bait only that is amazing. Great place to get a kid into fly fishing.

We've had many great trips up there and taken several young people and introduced them to fly fishing up there.
william
Dia del DougO said:

There will be nymphos?

I'm in.
I've bagged one - uno - trout in my life!

Woooo!

Half an hour up the road from Teddy's house.

- Bill

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
Dia del DougO
william said:

Dia del DougO said:

There will be nymphos?

I'm in.
I've bagged one - uno - trout in my life!

Woooo!

Half an hour up the road from Teddy's house.

- Bill

I've caught one legit trout by real fishing, but it was a spinner. Pretty little 12 inch brown from a river in Colorado.

I've caught some rainbows on bait in stock situations, but I don't count that crap.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
nortbear91
Funky Town Bear said:

nortbear91 said:

Ive been fly fishing above Tahoe near Truckee Ca. Great fishing

Ive been 15 of last 18 years to southern Colorado near Antonio and fished the Canejos river. Great browns and rainbow and a few small cuts above the lake in upper elevations. Always go Mid July and typically dry fly only. Lots of success if you are willing to hike in and out to avoid the novice. Happy to share more if interested.
That sounds sublime. I've looked at heading up there and just never made it that far. I always get stuck in the Jemez south of there. Would love to hear more.
Dm me if u want to. I can give u as much detail as u need.
Robert Wilson
I love the Devil's River.

Spent a lot of time fishing the Devils growing up. Went back on the kayak trip with a couple buddies a few years ago.

Gorgeous river and great smallmouth fishing, but can be a tough trip. Worth it.
Jack and DP
https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_2017.phtml

Texas stocks trout in places.
bobo
Come to the ozarks. Amazing fly fishing. Went in march and the four of us knocked out over a hundred. Yes a hundred. Obviously we were catch and release by like 8 in the morning

Dia del DougO
Jack and DP said:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_2017.phtml

Texas stocks trout in places.
Lot's of places. There are a few near Waco, but I haven't been to any of those.

But those fish only last a couple of months before they get fished out or die. They can't survive when the water temp gets to a certain point, only a few get to late Spring.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
bobo
Jack I know dry run and it is great. I like cricket creek that flows into table rock. I love an early morning on the white
NoBSU
Brian Ethridge said:

WILLIS said:

Brian Ethridge said:

I hope to do that one day as well.

If you take T, then use the dang paddle this time in a way that benefits us all. Two maybe three good whacks might do it. A boat paddle lobotomy.
LIB,MR BEARS
Nice results below Whitney in the last few weeks

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1354762134600338.1073742051.272197432856819&type=3
mtbmarc
Got my first peacock earlier this year.

Edit: not sure why J can't post a pic. Just as well as I should have zoomed in on the fish so as to crop out my ugly mug . Peacock bass are beautiful fish though!
mtbmarc
My next fly fishing project is to learn to tie some basic flies. If I could tie streamers, woolies, and clousers then I would be set. That's mainly what I use. Would be cool to catch fish with a fly that you made. I've watched some tying videos and it doesn't look that hard.
Hubbs
mtbmarc said:

My next fly fishing project is to learn to tie some basic flies. If I could tie streamers, woolies, and clousers then I would be set. That's mainly what I use. Would be cool to catch fish with a fly that you made. I've watched some tying videos and it doesn't look that hard.
The guys I fish with in BC have a Friday Night Flies show on Facebook. They are deep in charter season right now, but should start new videos in the next month or so. They went on a big Pink Salmon kick earlier this year since it's an odd-numbered year and they were running, but the guys tie other flies as well.

https://www.facebook.com/fridaynightflies/
WILLIS
Where are you located? If near austin they do monthly or weekly fly tying classes and hang outs at Sportsman's Finest. Incredible store.
mtbmarc
Thanks! I'll check it out. And buy a vice in the meantime.
mtbmarc
That's a good idea. I don't live in Austin but I'm close enough to attend one of these classes occasionally. I've never heard of sportsmen's finest. Looks like their website is under construction. I'll stop by or give them a call.
Hubbs
mtbmarc said:

That's a good idea. I don't live in Austin but I'm close enough to attend one of these classes occasionally. I've never heard of sportsmen's finest. Looks like their website is under construction. I'll stop by or give them a call.
Another option:

https://www.orvis.com/s/fly-tying-101-retail/9641
LIB,MR BEARS
http://livingwatersflyfishing.com/

This is another good one in Austin
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.