Any travel tips for Vienna, Rome, and Florence

1,066 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 303Bear
Last of the Larrys
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Restaurants to try, off the beaten path neighborhoods to explore, good walking tours, etc?

Leaving 9/8
fubar
I'll get back to you on Friday. Lots of good stuff ....
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
Sam Lowry
Last of the Larrys said:

Restaurants to try, off the beaten path neighborhoods to explore, good walking tours, etc?

Leaving 9/8
These may be obvious, but in Vienna I liked Demel for pastries and coffee. Gosser is a pub and restaurant with the best beer on tap that I've ever had. Their light beer is good if you're used to American lagers ("light" refers only to the color; it's not a low-cal). You can find great schnitzel in lots of country restaurants on the outskirts of the city. It's their version of chicken fried steak, but better. Look for the Heuriger taverns, which serve cheap homemade meals and un-aged wine. There is St. Stephen's cathedral (watch for pickpockets in the Stefansplatz, or so I'm told...I had no trouble). If you like trees and statues, one of my favorite tours was the Schonbrunn palace gardens.
Ghostrider
I just know Milan and Lake Como.
william
just head to Bremond and save.

same sausage at the one diner in town and, well, that's about it.

- KKM

lennybrucewasnotafraidnopenosirreebobtail.....
ScottS
Sardinia
Ghostrider
ScottS said:

Sardinia
Friend has a summer home there and it is amazing. Well except the 500 or so steps you climb to get to his house.
303Bear
What part of Rome are you staying in? If you are on the south side of the city or staying in Trastevere (highly reccomend, not full of tourists and plenty of good food and nightlife, close to the Vatican if you care), Mercato di Testaccio was really cool with a good variety of food options and also some cool shops as well.

In Florence, 4 Leoni was our favorite restaurant. It is on the south side of the Arno on Piazza della Passera. There is also a great gelato shop on that piazza (was cash only when we were there in 2019 FYI - not sure if Covid changed that). Also near there is a really good speakeasy / hidden bar, Rasputin. Entrance is on Borgo Tegolaio and looks kind of like a little chapel. Hard to spot (we walked past it once knowing what to look for) but worth the hunt. Very good service and drinks. Bar is underground in a bigish barrel vaulted cellar.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.