Best way to invest $100k?

5,744 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MikeUsmane
Doc Holliday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you had $100k, what investment vehicle would you choose?
curtpenn
Fun question to ponder. So much depends on one's age, appetite for risk, other existing assets, etc. As an active trader for 30 years who is now retired and looking to cut back on risk, preserve capital, and simplify my stock portfolio (probably too many tickers in there now, but I've been whittling them down the last couple of years), I'd look to portion that 100K out among the following: SCHD, XLV, XLK, MGK, SMH, MOAT, and T-bills. If you are into options, you can sell cash secured puts on these and either collect premium or get assigned. Once assigned, you could sell covered calls against. I keep strangles on most of my core holdings, fwiw.

One can spend (waste?) many hours building portfolios to see how they have performed. Here's a free and fun tool: https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio

You can build a portfolio that has beaten SPY consistently with smaller draw downs with the above mentioned. Of course, past performance is no guarantee of future blah, blah, blah... Good luck.
BellCountyBear
coffee can buried in the backyard. Thanks Joe Tarden!
william
dalecoin.
Fetterman2024
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Doc Holliday said:

CDs are becoming safe and sexy again. You can get 4.9 APR for a 3 month and 5 percent for locking in for a year. I expect markets to remain extremely volatile as long as President Memory Care and his flying monkeys are steering the ship.

I remember back in the mid/ late 80s, CDs were paying 14-15 percent. Don't think we will see those again, but I believe interest rates have more room to rise.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
curtpenn said:

Fun question to ponder. So much depends on one's age, appetite for risk, other existing assets, etc. As an active trader for 30 years who is now retired and looking to cut back on risk, preserve capital, and simplify my stock portfolio (probably too many tickers in there now, but I've been whittling them down the last couple of years), I'd look to portion that 100K out among the following: SCHD, XLV, XLK, MGK, SMH, MOAT, and T-bills. If you are into options, you can sell cash secured puts on these and either collect premium or get assigned. Once assigned, you could sell covered calls against. I keep strangles on most of my core holdings, fwiw.

One can spend (waste?) many hours building portfolios to see how they have performed. Here's a free and fun tool: https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio

You can build a portfolio that has beaten SPY consistently with smaller draw downs with the above mentioned. Of course, past performance is no guarantee of future blah, blah, blah... Good luck.
Thanks for this!

I want to learn about options.
william
hull's text is still highly regarded:

https://www.amazon.com/Options-Futures-Other-Derivatives-11th/dp/B0B9JS99C2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=28KLFGB9RJQ0A&keywords=john+hull+options+futures+and+other+derivatives+11th+edition&qid=1681415537&sprefix=hull+options+11th+edi%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-1
Fetterman2024
curtpenn
Doc Holliday said:

curtpenn said:

Thanks for this!

Almost endless info out there easily available online now about options. I fiddled with them off and on almost 20 years but never managed to do much more than break even in a good year. Finally started listening a lot to Tom Sosnoff who is an interesting guy with a fascinating story. He is the founder of TastyWorks. They have hours of live streaming every day. A lot of their basics make sense to me and I've gradually learned to keep things very simple while looking to just make a little here and there regardless of market direction as we go along while essentially staying fully invested. It's beyond my ability to trade my way to a fortune. Ask me how I know. You might also just search the term "the wheel" as it pertains to options. That accounts for maybe 80% of the options I trade.
william
curtpenn said:

Doc Holliday said:

curtpenn said:

Thanks for this!

Almost endless info out there easily available online now about options. I fiddled with them off and on almost 20 years but never managed to do much more than break even in a good year. Finally started listening a lot to Tom Sosnoff who is an interesting guy with a fascinating story. He is the founder of TastyWorks. They have hours of live streaming every day. A lot of their basics make sense to me and I've gradually learned to keep things very simple while looking to just make a little here and there regardless of market direction as we go along while essentially staying fully invested. It's beyond my ability to trade my way to a fortune. Ask me how I know. You might also just search the term "the wheel" as it pertains to options. That accounts for maybe 80% of the options I trade.
I was trying to think of his name - alot of people like his site and his overall trading platform.

- kkm

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating double chocolate muffin }
Fetterman2024
Tempus Edax Rerum
Doc Holliday said:

TSM
ASML
COST
NVDA
AAPL
AMD
BRK-B
LLY
Tempus Edax Rerum
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-googles-dont-be-evil-motto-has-evolved-for-ai-age-60-minutes-2023-04-16/

NVDA, ASML, and TSM leads the charge on this. That's why I love these stocks.
Oldbear83
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Doc Holliday said:

CDs are becoming safe and sexy again. You can get 4.9 APR for a 3 month and 5 percent for locking in for a year. I expect markets to remain extremely volatile as long as President Memory Care and his flying monkeys are steering the ship.

I remember back in the mid/ late 80s, CDs were paying 14-15 percent. Don't think we will see those again, but I believe interest rates have more room to rise.
Along these lines, if you have a CD making 'meh' rates, call your bank and tell them you are moving your CD to another bank, but will consider staying if they can offer a higher rate. My wife and I kept our CDs at two banks that way but moved their interest rates from 2.5% and 2.6% APR to 4.35% APR for a 12-month CD.

A third bank could only offer 0.5% on a renewal, so we moved that CD to one offering the 4.35%.
Ghostrider
Doc Holliday said:

12 month cd at 4.9%
Doc Holliday
Ghostrider said:

Doc Holliday said:

12 month cd at 4.9%
It's money I don't want to touch for like 16 years or so.

I want to compound it.

Would a CD still be good for this?
Ghostrider
Up to you....I don't see the market doing much this year. At best, the market goes up 5%. You are guaranteed that with a cd. Then after 12 mos re-evaluate the market.

Or dump in into a few index funds.....
Tempus Edax Rerum
Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Along these lines, if you have a CD making 'meh' rates, call your bank and tell them you are moving your CD to another bank, but will consider staying if they can offer a higher rate. My wife and I kept our CDs at two banks that way but moved their interest rates from 2.5% and 2.6% APR to 4.35% APR for a 12-month CD.

A third bank could only offer 0.5% on a renewal, so we moved that CD to one offering the 4.35%.
12 month T-bill yields 4.78%
Oldbear83
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Long story but my wife won't spend money on any government product ...
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Oldbear83 said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Doc Holliday said:

I tip my hat to your wife. I feel the same way. One can get as good or better rates at many banks in the private sector. More Capitalism and Free Enterprise. Less government.

-- Barack Obama
curtpenn
Lots of significant earnings being reported this week. Maybe wait to see if there's a big down day then sell cash secured puts on SPY or XSP. You can probably collect $400+ in premium while requiring about $37,000ish in capital with mid-July expiration. This is about 10% down on the S&P index from where we are now. Could work out to about 4.7-5% annualized return if not exercised. If assigned, sell cash secured puts against shares as long as necessary. With $100,000 you could keep a couple of contracts rolling with no margin. Perhaps wait a month before putting on the second contract.
bularry
Doc Holliday said:

Ghostrider said:

Doc Holliday said:

12 month cd at 4.9%
It's money I don't want to touch for like 16 years or so.

I want to compound it.

Would a CD still be good for this?
16 years, I think I'd just dump into an index fund and not have to worry about it...but I'm lazy and not real aggressive with investing. If you have the time, then really knowing a few markets/stocks can help you time some buys and sells.

Wrecks Quan Dough
william said:

hull's text is still highly regarded:

https://www.amazon.com/Options-Futures-Other-Derivatives-11th/dp/B0B9JS99C2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=28KLFGB9RJQ0A&keywords=john+hull+options+futures+and+other+derivatives+11th+edition&qid=1681415537&sprefix=hull+options+11th+edi%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-1
A Random Walk Down Roast Beef!

--Burton G. Au-Jus
blackie
Oldbear83 said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Doc Holliday said:

If you are going with CDs, you can get better rates with brokered CDs, as it gives you access to banks large and small, regional and national, versus having to look at multiple banks yourself. Schwab and TD Ameritrade have an excellent variety of options. I would guess other major brokers have similar offerings. Usually there is no fee or commission involved if you do the transactions online.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
blackie said:

Oldbear83 said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Doc Holliday said:

If you are going with CDs, you can get better rates with brokered CDs, as it gives you access to banks large and small, regional and national, versus having to look at multiple banks yourself. Schwab and TD Ameritrade have an excellent variety of options. I would guess other major brokers have similar offerings. Usually there is no fee or commission involved if you do the transactions online.
Great advice, blackie. Fidelity Investments is a great option as well.

-- Barack Obama
Ghostrider
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

blackie said:

Oldbear83 said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Oldbear83 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Great advice, blackie. Fidelity Investments is a great option as well.
yep, that is what i do. Use the fidelity ladder feature.
Aliceinbubbleland
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Doc Holliday said:

TSM
ASML
COST
NVDA
AAPL
AMD
BRK-B
LLY
I like this.

I've had a lot of success with selling covered calls the last year and loading up 70% on T-Bills. But hey, I'm way over 80 years of age lol.

The youth in my trading mind makes me want to chose the eight above, maybe minus BRK-B.
KaiBear
Doc Holliday said:

1oz Gold Eagles
william
ball bearings.

- Fletch

en serio, pon te un poco de energia en el.

XLE.

BID.

{ sipping covfefe }
Fetterman2024
Tempus Edax Rerum
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Doc Holliday said:

TSM
ASML
COST
NVDA
AAPL
AMD
BRK-B
LLY
I like this.

I've had a lot of success with selling covered calls the last year and loading up 70% on T-Bills. But hey, I'm way over 80 years of age lol.

The youth in my trading mind makes me want to chose the eight above, maybe minus BRK-B.
I am up 24% so far this year as of today's close. I have some other names in my portfolio not mentioned in this list.

Yeah, probably not a good idea at your age!
Aliceinbubbleland
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

Tempus Edax Rerum said:

Doc Holliday said:

TSM
ASML
COST
NVDA
AAPL
AMD
BRK-B
LLY
I like this.

I am up 24% so far this year as of today's close. I have some other names in my portfolio not mentioned in this list.

Yeah, probably not a good idea at your age!
If things go according to plan I hope to have it to hand off to kids, grandkids and great grandkids lol. I don't want to burn through it in some mindless retirement center
PartyBear
If you had asked this 15 years ago, knowing what I know now, I would have said buy a building or other real property in the down town Waco area.
Tempus Edax Rerum
PartyBear said:

If you had asked this 15 years ago, knowing what I know now, I would have said buy a building or other real property in the down town Waco area.
You would have been far better off buying AAPL, MSFT, GOOG, AMZN, NVDA and META 15 years ago than RE in downtown Waco and with far less hassle.

I believe Warren Buffett's purchase of Apple stock has been far and away the best stock purchase he ever made .
Bexar Pitts
Tempus Edax Rerum said:

PartyBear said:

You would have been far better off buying AAPL, MSFT, GOOG, AMZN, NVDA and META 15 years ago than RE in downtown Waco and with far less hassle.

I believe Warren Buffett's purchase of Apple stock has been far and away the best stock purchase he ever made .
Good picks indeed...the other important part of that regimen is knowing when to sell...or NOT sell...I've enjoyed my 50+ years in the market..and I'm perfectly content at this point to hold short term treasuries and CD's at @5 percent...But that's my age and risk tolerance speaking...Good luck to you all..
ScottS
Doc Holliday said:

My wife and I are buying a waterfront lot in the Bahamas. It will take us a bit to add some cottages to it. Anyway, this is how we are investing $100k.
Doc Holliday
ScottS said:

Doc Holliday said:

My wife and I are buying a waterfront lot in the Bahamas. It will take us a bit to add some cottages to it. Anyway, this is how we are investing $100k.
Thats cool, What kind of profit/returns are you expecting?
ScottS
Doc Holliday said:

ScottS said:

Doc Holliday said:

Thats cool, What kind of profit/returns are you expecting?

Great question. We need to have 2 units rented 1/4 of the time to break even (where we don't pay anything). After 10 years we would have our loan done with. The real reason we are doing this is because we've seen the price of beach rentals double or triple over the last 8 years. This is our way of countering that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.