Traeger Grill - Advice

1,764 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by curtpenn
One-Eyed Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I need advice on what Traeger to buy. I like to make primarily smoked brisket, pastrami, and an occasional smoked Turkey. I looked at their website and couldn't decide what to buy. Any advice?
4th and Inches
How many briskets at one time? If you are only cooking a couple of briskets at a time then the smaller ones are perfect. If you like to party, you need a big boy.

I personally prefer one with the wifi and blue tooth connections
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
One-Eyed Wheeler
4th and Inches said:

How many briskets at one time? If you are only cooking a couple of briskets at a time then the smaller ones are perfect. If you like to party, you need a big boy.

I usually only do one brisket, or Turkey, at a time. I really like making Pastrami. I read the reviews on Amazon and of course they are all over the place. Some claim the smoke isn't that great. What's your opinion?
4th and Inches
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

4th and Inches said:

I usually only do one brisket, or Turkey, at a time. I really like making Pastrami. I read the reviews on Amazon and of course they are all over the place. Some claim the smoke isn't that great. What's your opinion?
i am a fan of smoke so just about every meat tastes better after being smoked. I have even taken frozen crab and smoked it to thaw it out. It definitely picks up the smoked flavor.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
One-Eyed Wheeler
4th and Inches said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

4th and Inches said:

i am a fan of smoke so just about every meat tastes better after being smoked. I have even taken frozen crab and smoked it to thaw it out. It definitely picks up the smoked flavor.
Thanks, I may pick up one of the smaller ones to give it a shot!
BellCountyBear
Traeger and Weber are overpriced crap.
One-Eyed Wheeler
BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?
nein51
BellCountyBear said:

I have the big Timberline 1300. It's a POS. It's easy so I get why people like it. It has some cool features. It's also a PITA to clean, doesn't really add much smoke even on "super smoke", doesn't drain properly and, in general, was way too expensive for what it is.

You get a way better outcome on a Weber kettle with some charcoal and some wood chunks.
nein51
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?

$89 Weber kettle. Snake method. Chunks of hardwood. Bottom open about 1/2 way. Top open about 1/3 way. Keep at 225 for hours and hours that way. More labor intensive. Infinitely better outcome.
BellCountyBear
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?
I bought a Z-grill off of Amazon and have mostly been happy. Runs about half the cost of a Traeger. My only complaint and I imagine this is true with most pellet grills, is that it's hard to get a good sear because all the heat is indirect.
curtpenn
nein51 said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?

$89 Weber kettle. Snake method. Chunks of hardwood. Bottom open about 1/2 way. Top open about 1/3 way. Keep at 225 for hours and hours that way. More labor intensive. Infinitely better outcome.
This is the way. Used an offset for decades, then picked up both a Bradley and a Traeger 7-8 years ago. Didn't realize what I was missing until I inherited my dad's kettle and '70s vintage Kamado. Ceramic would be my first choice, but the kettle with a snake and couple of temp probes and you are set. Beats anything I ever managed on my Traeger for not much of an investment.

I've also more or less adopted the Goldee's method which can be found on YouTube. Short version: cook around 250-300 until internal temp around 190-195 then pull and wrap with smoked tallow in foil and hold at 150 for 6-20 hours. I'm convinced the extended hold is the key.
VaeBear
BellCountyBear said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?
I bought a Z-grill off of Amazon and have mostly been happy. Runs about half the cost of a Traeger. My only complaint and I imagine this is true with most pellet grills, is that it's hard to get a good sear because all the heat is indirect.

I just bought a Pit Boss last week. One of the biggest selling points for me was the ability to sear over direct flame. They have a lever that allows you to open up the deflector plate and grill ove rthe flame. Plus the 20% off I got at Academy didn't hurt.
One-Eyed Wheeler
nein51 said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?

What is the "Snake method?"
nein51
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

nein51 said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?

Ghostrider
I got a rectec and love it. Pellet grills are so simple and taste delish. Plus I enjoy the convection style over open flame.
One-Eyed Wheeler
nein51 said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

nein51 said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?

Thanks! That looks cool! I do have a Weber smokey mountain. Could I use the snake method with it? I may have to give it a try. I like how it burns around the snake slowly and how I can add wood on top too.
nein51
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

nein51 said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

nein51 said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?

Thanks! That looks cool! I do have a Weber smokey mountain. Could I use the snake method with it? I may have to give it a try. I like how it burns around the snake slowly and how I can add wood on top too.

The Smokey Mountain is a smoker rather than a grill. I've never set one up. The concept is pretty simple though; find a way to keep the coals going at 225 as long as possible so I assume you can.
curtpenn
One-Eyed Wheeler said:

nein51 said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

nein51 said:

One-Eyed Wheeler said:

BellCountyBear said:

Got a recommendation?

No reason you couldn't but you probably need either the 18" or 22". Kind of tight in the 18" I suspect. Don't really need water either but could leave bowl in as a deflector and drip catcher. The "minion method" might be easier if you have a 14-18" WSM. Tons of videos on that, as well. I've used both in a 22" kettle with good results.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.