Texas-based grocer has grown its popularity throughout the state, but is just now exp

2,194 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Berg09
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
One-Eyed Wheeler
gobears20 said:

Old old story.
whitetrash
KCEN is owned by TEGNA, which also owns WFAA and KENS in San Antonio. So they are always reposting irrelevant news stories from DFW and SA, including this little ditty this morning:

https://www.kcentv.com/article/news/local/public-safety/san-antonio-poop-in-public-pools-texas-cleaning/273-77602dac-d728-43a9-b0c3-48fc5c4c14cd?fbclid=IwAR3VUdfVdx0g0eVC10as7t0FRJPT7tiArHOf0D5RiI3O0DFVoHPHx7T8zcg

4th and Inches
HEB is drooled over and celebrated with every new one in DFW. The friends i have up there are rave about them
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
william
bagged groceries there 41 years ago........

- kkm
POE.
Wangchung
It's just such a nice alternative to Walmart, 99% of Randall's and all Fiesta's. Sure, they sell their own stuff but so what? They sell everything else, too. Typically clean and well staffed and the meats are fresh. Plus, you know, Butts. Lol
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Dia del DougO
HEB brand stuff tends to be very good, often better than national brands. Rarely disappointed. The HEB spicy charro beans are the best canned beans I ever had.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
william
Dia del DougO said:

HEB brand stuff tends to be very good, often better than national brands. Rarely disappointed. The HEB spicy Charro beans are the best canned beans I ever had.
cuchi cuchi................

- kkm

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating whole grain organic toast }
POE.
Pea Weevil
HEB's initial openings in Frisco and Plano were crazy. The line was out the door and about 100 people deep. I hadn't see anything this much of frenzy since the first In-N-Out Burger opened in Allen where the drive through line stretched over a quarter mile long and all they way back to Hwy-75.

The first McKinney HEB opens up late next week and is actually close enough to our house than we'll be able to buy frozen goods and get them home before they thaw out. There are adding a 2nd store in Frisco along with ones in Forney and Melissa. There is already a store over in Fort Worth. Kroger seems oblivious as to what is about to occur and it's a 50/50 shot whether they'll have a bagger or I have to do it myself. I do get complements from the checkers as to how much better I bag things than their employees and I'll never worked as a bagger in my life.

Pea Weevil
Moondoggie
Sure, I like HEB but they are wayyy too proud of their food prices-wise. I prefer ALDI for prices when their in-store food is only co-packed by major national companies( Millville in-store brand is made by General MILLS, Peter Pan makes their peanut butter, etc.), and the prices beat the hell out of everyone, HEB included.
I will say that the HEB in-house smoked lunch meats are still expensive, but amazing. I go to heb for variety but ALDI for the bulk of my food purchases.
Enjoy the new stores, metroplex shoppers, they are great, but if on a budget, find an aldi. It's just as good if not better.
Daveisabovereproach
I would hope that they consider parking when they build their new stores. The one here in Waxahachie is a madhouse outside of a few narrow windows in the week
whitetrash
All this excitement over HEB in the metroplex reminds me of 25 years ago when I was living in Houston and a bunch of us from there met up with friends in San Antonio. We wanted to go get Mexican food, and the San Antonians all wanted to go to a great new Mexican restaurant that had just opened called Pappasito's.
Daveisabovereproach
whitetrash said:

All this excitement over HEB in the metroplex reminds me of 25 years ago when I was living in Houston and a bunch of us from there met up with friends in San Antonio. We wanted to go get Mexican food, and the San Antonians all wanted to go to a great new Mexican restaurant that had just opened called Pappasito's.

Pappasito's is delicious. But mainly their fajitas and chips. I would agree that their regular menu items ie tacos etc. are kind of overrated. Their margaritas are mediocre. My family eventually stopped going because of how insanely loud their restaurants are
HunterBear
william said:

- kkm

Same here 50-51 years ago in high school on South Valley Mills in the Southgate Center. A fun perk for working until close on Saturday night was getting any and all bakery and bread items for a nickel each that had an expiration date by the next Monday. The stuff that went home...
william
william said:

- kkm

... and later when I applied for a corp finance position they 'were not impressed'!

- kkm

can't blame them. I think they start at UT MBAs and move upwards from there.

HEB has been an incredible corporate citizen in SA and we should be grateful they are here.

POE.
Iron Claw
I bagged groceries and cleaned up the deli at the Temple store on S 31st Street back in '81-82. Started at $2.85/hour then went to $3.15 after a month. Back then they tried to get high school aged employees to move up the ranks. I was asked to move to produce (to start the progression up to management) but didn't want to give up high school sports, etc. I know several guys that did and have/had a great career with them moving to regional managers and beyond. They didn't care so much about college. Trained you the way they wanted.

As for the store brand, Tree House Foods makes some of the Hill Country Fare (Fair?) stuff, as well as some Great Value stuff for Walmart.
Bakersdozen
From a brewery owner, HEB is the largest seller of craft beer in Texas focusing on local brands. We are grateful.

Kroger and Tom Thumb have sold out to the global beer distributors who do their planograms and keep out local brands.

We love HEB!
Harrison Bergeron
H-E-B is great. Our favorite is its private label brands, which often are better quality than national brands.
KOKQB70
I live in San Antonio, HEB is big business account for me, they are great for city and Texas, and we are blessed.
TechDawgMc
whitetrash said:

Speaking of over-priced. Pappasito's is not bad, but they are way too proud of their food. Almost anything on the menu is going to be $4-5 more than it'd be in another very good Mexican place.
Berg09
I live in Ennis and we have an old outdated HEB. They don't always have what I need and I often just prefer going to the next town over (Waxahachie) as they have a much wider selection.

Would love to have an updated HEB here but likely knows it doesn't fit their "plan" as Ennis isn't seen as a high priority town like the north Dallas cities their going to.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.