Baylor Alumni Association

3,826 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Aliceinbubbleland
BellCountyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't remember all the details as to why the independent alumni association went belly up. But it seems odd that there is not an official/active Baylor Alumni Association anymore. Any ideas?
drahthaar
BellCountyBear said:

I don't remember all the details as to why the independent alumni association went belly up. But it seems odd that there is not an official/active Baylor Alumni Association anymore. Any ideas?

1.) Troll often?
2.) It didn't "go belly up".
3.) There is an alumni organization within BU.
4.) Don't be expecting Ezekiel's bones to rise here, though you may drag out more trolls.
SMack
drahthaar said:

BellCountyBear said:

1.) Troll often?
4.) Don't be expecting Ezekiel's bones to rise here, though you may drag out more trolls.

If his post indicates that BellCountyBear is a troll, please count me among the trolls.
whitetrash
BellCountyBear said:

It was a victim of the Vindictiveness of Preacherbob.
william
it was subsumed - perhaps under a bit of duress or internecine baptistical legerdemain.

but, that's all in the past.

- KKM

POE.
BellCountyBear
drahthaar said:

BellCountyBear said:

1.) Troll often?
You can go eat a whole bag of dicks.
Stranger
BellCountyBear said:

drahthaar said:

BellCountyBear said:

1.) Troll often?

I personally can't visualize a bag of dicks. That must be a millennial slang.

There were literally thousands of posts about this shameful chapter of Baylor history. Most of this got flushed with the demise of baylorfans.com.

I'm a Bearbacker
Ghostrider
Stranger said:

BellCountyBear said:

drahthaar said:

BellCountyBear said:

1.) Troll often?

I personally can't visualize a bag of dicks. That must be a millennial slang.

There were literally thousands of posts about this shameful chapter of Baylor history. Most of this got flushed with the demise of baylorfans.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Bag-Dicks-Bachelorette-Bachelor/dp/B08C81TKZS
atomicblast
drahthaar said:

BellCountyBear said:

1.) Troll often?
They do a poor job of advertisement. Why cant we get something catchy like the Texas Exs?
drahthaar
atomicblast said:

drahthaar said:

BellCountyBear said:

1.) Troll often?
They do a poor job of advertisement. Why cant we get something catchy like the Texas Exs?

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Time to put away childish things. I did so after May of 2015. Life goes on. Life is good.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
william
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Time to put away childish things. I did so after May of 2015. Life goes on. Life is good.
'Time to put away childish things.' - Mac Davis (to Nick Nolte)

- KKM

{ needing more coffee }

I think that's right.....
POE.
Pecos 45
Two things:
1) It was without a doubt one of the sorriest and most embarrassing things in Baylor history.
2) They destroyed a decades-old institution, and tore down a building, over a few people getting their feelings hurt.

“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Stranger
Pecos 45 said:

Two things:
1) It was without a doubt one of the sorriest and most embarrassing things in Baylor history.
2) They destroyed a decades-old institution, and tore down a building, over a few people getting their feelings hurt.

As usual, 'ol Pecos nailed it.
I'm a Bearbacker
SMack
I don't know if hurt feelings caused the dismantling of the BAA, but I know the results.

Back in the 1990s, Baylor made its board of regents self-perpetuating to prevent a possible "takeover" by so-called fundamentalists. It still allowed, and allows, the Texas Baptists to select a minority of the board members, but a majority of replacement members are selected by the board itself.

The only significant check on the board's power was the independent alumni association. The association was to be partially funded by the university, and lists of graduates were to be provided so the BAA so they recruit new members.

The independence of the Baylor Alumni Association was key. Although it had no real power, it could marshal the resources of the alumni/donor base to exert pressure on the university if there were indications of the board not acting in the best interest of Baylor.

I'm sure there were people in the BAA that had alternate agendas, but losing the independent voice was a major breach, in my opinion.

It would allow the board to operate without transparency, and act in the board's interest, without regard for the university's well-being.

Of course, that's only a hypothetical -- it would probably never happen.
Fat Daddy
SMack said:

I don't know if hurt feelings caused the dismantling of the BAA, but I know the results.

Back in the 1990s, Baylor made its board of regents self-perpetuating to prevent a possible "takeover" by so-called fundamentalists. It still allowed, and allows, the Texas Baptists to select a minority of the board members, but a majority of replacement members are selected by the board itself.

The only significant check on the board's power was the independent alumni association. The association was to be partially funded by the university, and lists of graduates were to be provided so the BAA so they recruit new members.

The independence of the Baylor Alumni Association was key. Although it had no real power, it could marshal the resources of the alumni/donor base to exert pressure on the university if there were indications of the board not acting in the best interest of Baylor.

I'm sure there were people in the BAA that had alternate agendas, but losing the independent voice was a major breach, in my opinion.

It would allow the board to operate without transparency, and act in the board's interest, without regard for the university's well-being.

In my opinion, if it is receiving funds from the university, it isn't independent. When you start biting the hand that feeds you, the hand stops feeding you.

I know of friendships that didn't survive the debacle … hopefully they have restored friendships now, but I don't know.
SMack
Fat Daddy said:

In my opinion, if it is receiving funds from the university, it isn't independent. When you start biting the hand that feeds you, the hand stops feeding you.

Clearly, that was one of the flaws in the plan.
william
Pecos 45 said:

Two things:

true, but, the building looked like a funeral parlor.

score one for the sloanites.

- tbp*

{ clatter }

{ slurping coffee }

POE.
william
william said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

- KKM

{ needing more coffee }

POE.
BellCountyBear
william said:

william said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

- KKM

{ needing more coffee }

That these guys portrayed professional football players back in the day is pretty hilarious!
Christian, white, male, straight, conservative...how else can I offend you today?
drahthaar
Fat Daddy said:

SMack said:

I know of friendships that didn't survive the debacle … hopefully they have restored friendships now, but I don't know.

Funds received from the university were for contracted services by the BAA, and not "undesignated" monies to be used at the discretion of the organization. Abner and Herb designed this as an arms-length relationship without the university operating or interfering with the BAA's operations. But always the university had great influence. It was a different time with different characters who made this relationship work reasonably well. Personal agendas were never allowed to be the driving force in the relationship.
Fat Daddy
drahthaar said:

Fat Daddy said:

SMack said:

Funds received from the university were for contracted services by the BAA, and not "undesignated" monies to be used at the discretion of the organization. Abner and Herb designed this as an arms-length relationship without the university operating or interfering with the BAA's operations. But always the university had great influence. It was a different time with different characters who made this relationship work reasonably well. Personal agendas were never allowed to be the driving force in the relationship.

Abner's and Herb's kids made it personal…
drahthaar
Fat Daddy said:

drahthaar said:

Fat Daddy said:

SMack said:

Abner's and Herb's kids made it personal…

Truth.
And so did others. Failed leadership at every level.
william
BellCountyBear said:

william said:

william said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

- KKM

{ needing more coffee }

That these guys portrayed professional football players back in the day is pretty hilarious!
times have changed....

I started using RuffGreens a few months ago.

MAJOR improvement.

- KKM

{ sipping coffee }

POE.
william
grrrrrrrrrrrrr............

POE.
Proud 1992 Alum
BellCountyBear said:

While less influential, the independent alumni association still exists. Its name was changed to Baylor Line Foundation as part of a settlement with Baylor U. They still publish the Baylor Line magazine as they have for decades.

https://baylorlinefoundation.com/
Ghostrider
Pecos 45 said:

Two things:

The building that looked like a funeral home?
BellCountyBear
Proud 1992 Alum said:

BellCountyBear said:

While less influential, the independent alumni association still exists. Its name was changed to Baylor Line Foundation as part of a settlement with Baylor U. They still publish the Baylor Line magazine as they have for decades.

I am aware of that, but they don't market themselves well as an independent association. Hell, there aren't even dues! Or stickers! They just put out a magazine.
Christian, white, male, straight, conservative...how else can I offend you today?
drahthaar
BellCountyBear said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

BellCountyBear said:

I am aware of that, but they don't market themselves well as an independent association. Hell, there aren't even dues! Or stickers! They just put out a magazine.
That and provide scholarships for BU students.
The BAA endowment allowed the organization to find a niche in the schollie business.
Pecos 45
The thing is, we now have TWO alumni associations when for more than 100 years we only had one.
There's no reason for that.
Combine the two groups, call it the Baylor Alumni Association (they had the name first) and jettison the folks who got their feelings hurt.
Bring in the officers from both groups (unless they were part of the problem to being with.)
Shake hands and make up.

It's really all about a snit fit in the first place, so let's get that behind us, join forces and move ahead.

This entire sorry episode looked ridiculous to those of us who love Baylor, but don't have the deep pockets to buy a megaphone.
Malcolm Forbes
drahthaar
Pecos 45 said:

The thing is, we now have TWO alumni associations when for more than 100 years we only had one.
There's no reason for that.
Combine the two groups, call it the Baylor Alumni Association (they had the name first) and jettison the folks who got their feelings hurt.
Bring in the officers from both groups (unless they were part of the problem to being with.)
Shake hands and make up.

It's really all about a snit fit in the first place, so let's get that behind us, join forces and move ahead.

This entire sorry episode looked ridiculous to those of us who love Baylor, but don't have the deep pockets to buy a megaphone.

Pecos, we really have only one AA, the original BAA having morphed by reality into a scholarship organization who also gets to confer some awards on alumni annually. Yeah, it publishes the Line but it is a shadow of its former self. The Alumni Network publishes the Baylor Magazine, more a PR slick than a replacement for the old Line. I occasionally receive the Baylor Mag but never the Line, despite being a lifetime member of the old BAA. Not sure why but I'm not really concerned. I attempted to notify the Mag about our daughter's death in January and never heard back from them; have no clue if an announcement was included. At this stage, though I am not past remembering all the mess, I am past caring. Pretty liberating.
Pecos 45
If it is "a shadow of its former self" then it only has fellow Baylor alumni to blame.
Again, the BAA was here first, and was THE Alumni association for nearly 100 years.
Why would you destroy a well-established organization and start a new one unless you harbored a deep-seated grudge over something somebody said about you?

Yes, it's "in the past" but it's still history.
Per my previous post, it remains one of the most embarrassing episodes about my university.

I've said enough.
Adios

PS Look forward to seeing everyone at the Big Mac for some football!!!!
Malcolm Forbes
Aliceinbubbleland
Has anyone ever contacted the whatever we call the Alumni Association to try and find lost friends from your years at Baylor. I did, several times, and they had absolutely no clue who I was or who I was inquiring about.
drahthaar
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Has anyone ever contacted the whatever we call the Alumni Association to try and find lost friends from your years at Baylor. I did, several times, and they had absolutely no clue who I was or who I was inquiring about.
Did you call the BU Alumni Network or the Baylor Line Foundation?

Just curious.
Proud 1992 Alum
I think there is an online alumni directory at baylor.edu. If you are an alum, you can log in and search the directory.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.