Ann Wilson vs Pat Benatar

2,766 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by LIB,MR BEARS
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Support your position with video/audio evidence
MrGolfguy
Edmond Bear
Here's the antiHeart argument

Edmond Bear

And pro Pat Benatar

But, honestly, I'd put Blondie ahead of both.
MrGolfguy
Edmond Bear said:

Ironically, that is Heart's first #1 single....

and it's Nancy singing not Ann.
MrGolfguy
more pro-Ann Wilson (ignore the cheesy video, focus on Ann's great vocals)

Edmond Bear

May I counter with;

Edmond Bear

And add;

Edmond Bear
MrGolfguy said:

Billboard ratings not always a great measure. After all 'We Built This City' peaked at #1 and is also widely panned as the worst pop song of all time.
MrGolfguy
Edmond Bear said:

MrGolfguy said:

Billboard ratings not always a great measure. After all 'We Built This City' peaked at #1 and is also widely panned as the worst pop song of all time.

That's fantastic, but my main point was that this is a 'Who's a better singer Ann vs Pat' thread and you posted a song that Ann doesn't even sing. Apparently I can't help you.
Edmond Bear
MrGolfguy said:

Edmond Bear said:

MrGolfguy said:

That's fantastic, but my main point was that this is a 'Who's a better singer Ann vs Pat' thread and you posted a song that Ann doesn't even sing. Apparently I can't help you.

You're right. My head just translated it as Heart v Pat Benatar. My apologies.

TenBears
I guess you'd be pissed if I fussed at you for not including Sheena Easton. I know she can't sing as well as the other two, I just want to look at pictures of Sheena Easton.
Keyser Soze
Both are excellent. This is my favorite

Keyser Soze
It may swing the Baylor vote, Pat B was the star of the Church chior as a young girl.

LIB,MR BEARS
Keyser Soze said:

Both are excellent. This is my favorite

One of the best live performances I've ever seen.

Oooh! Another thread idea
Keyser Soze
Yes, love this one.

Before Heart made it and had thier own material they were basically a Led Zeppelin cover band.

ImmortalTen
Ann Wilson, hands down. If you have any doubt the performance below will change your mind. Unchained Melody seems like a lame cover, but it's rocked up and one of the best live vocal performances I've ever heard. Before I heard this I had no idea Ann could go as high as she does here.

Plus early Heart rocks a lot harder than Pat, so their music is quite different.

I've seen both Pat and Heart live and they're both great singers, but I saw Heart just a couple of years ago and left the arena with my jaw on the floor -- I couldn't believe how good she sounded, especially considering that she's not 25 anymore.

Keyser Soze
I would pick Ann Wilson too, but don't agree with the hands down part.

A little later by a little, Annie Lennox of the Eurythmics has great set of pipes as well.

LIB,MR BEARS
And if you go later still, Pink.
TechDawgMc
I saw Heart in concert somewhere around 78 or 79. Incredible show. They did a long set and three encores. The one that still stands out to me was Wilson singing "I Can't Live (if living is without you". Great song for her voice. Other thing I remember is that my ears rang until the next day.
ABC BEAR
DREAMBOAT ANNIE absolutely. I picked that album up for $1 at Target when it first hit the stores ( I liked the cover). The price went up considerably after the DJ's discovered it.
ImmortalTen
TechDawgMc said:

I saw Heart in concert somewhere around 78 or 79. Incredible show. They did a long set and three encores. The one that still stands out to me was Wilson singing "I Can't Live (if living is without you". Great song for her voice. Other thing I remember is that my ears rang until the next day.

LIB,MR BEARS
ImmortalTen
Pretty cool collaboration with Ann and Disturbed. This video reminds me of Sound of Silence.

ImmortalTen
LIB,MR BEARS said:

This is my favorite song by Pat. She absolutely kills this, but I was bummed when I saw her live and she took all the high parts down an octave. Still great, though.
FLBear5630
TenBears said:

I guess you'd be pissed if I fussed at you for not including Sheena Easton. I know she can't sing as well as the other two, I just want to look at pictures of Sheena Easton.
For that matter, I was always partial to Lita Ford and Joan Jett. But I grew up with NE Rock, Springsteen, Thoroughgood. Saw Benatar in concert, she put on a good show, but her husband played the guitar. Ford and Jett, they sang and played.
LIB,MR BEARS
FLBear5630 said:

TenBears said:

For that matter, I was always partial to Lita Ford and Joan Jett. But I grew up with NE Rock, Springsteen, Thoroughgood. Saw Benatar in concert, she put on a good show, but her husband played the guitar. Ford and Jett, they sang and played.
I seem to recall a video Lita Ford did.
ImmortalTen
FLBear5630 said:

TenBears said:

I've always thought of Lita Ford as a guitar player who happens to sing. She's a great guitarist, underrated even, and that is her first love. Joan too -- great entertainer but more skilled at guitar than singing. Her overall talent as an entertainer is why she's in the Rock Hall of Fame.

One thing that has annoyed me about Pat Benatar is that her husband Neil Giraldo, who is a great guitarist, has kind of ridden her coattails to get in the Hall of Fame. During her commercial peak in the 80s all her albums were "Pat Benatar", not "Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo". He's a great guitarist like I said, but he's not the reason Pat was popular -- her style is what made her popular (see Fast Times at Ridgemont High), not his guitar playing -- yet they were both inducted into the Hall of Fame as a duo. Her diehard fans knew who he was, but the casual listeners who bought her albums had no idea who he was. This is the same Hall of Fame who dictated to Kiss and other bands which of their members could get inducted and ended up leaving out members who were tremendously important to their history. At the end of the day it doesn't matter that much, but I just found it annoying.

ImmortalTen
Edmond Bear said:

Because the sister sang one of their songs that means Pat is better than Ann? Not sure I follow that line of reasoning but ok. For the record, I'm not crazy about that song or the handful of Heart songs that Nancy sings, but those tunes are kinda irrelevant to to the Ann vs. Pat argument.

As someone who didn't pay much attention to Heart until my girlfriend dragged me to see them (I'd made her see Metallica), I became an automatic fan of Ann's because it was the best live vocal performance I'd ever seen, still is. This tune "Mistral Wind" from one of their early albums sounds very Sabbath-like when the electric guitars kick (2:10 into the track). Their 70s material was really outstanding.

FLBear5630
ImmortalTen said:

FLBear5630 said:

TenBears said:

I've always thought of Lita Ford as a guitar player who happens to sing. She's a great guitarist, underrated even, and that is her first love. Joan too -- great entertainer but more skilled at guitar than singing. Her overall talent as an entertainer is why she's in the Rock Hall of Fame.

One thing that has annoyed me about Pat Benatar is that her husband Neil Giraldo, who is a great guitarist, has kind of ridden her coattails to get in the Hall of Fame. During her commercial peak in the 80s all her albums were "Pat Benatar", not "Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo". He's a great guitarist like I said, but he's not the reason Pat was popular -- her style is what made her popular (see Fast Times at Ridgemont High), not his guitar playing -- yet they were both inducted into the Hall of Fame as a duo. Her diehard fans knew who he was, but the casual listeners who bought her albums had no idea who he was. This is the same Hall of Fame who dictated to Kiss and other bands which of their members could get inducted and ended up leaving out members who were tremendously important to their history. At the end of the day it doesn't matter that much, but I just found it annoying.

It does matter. This is one conversation that didn't go to attack-mode on this site! Congrats! Well,done Great subject.
ImmortalTen
FLBear5630 said:

It does matter. This is one conversation that didn't go to attack-mode on this site! Congrats! Well,done Great subject.

On my first post to this subject I started to say "ALL YOU PAT LOVERS GO TO HELL" but I thought a discussion might be more interesting. I hope I didn't permanently mess up the site's vibe.
Keyser Soze
FLBear5630 said:

ImmortalTen said:

FLBear5630 said:

TenBears said:

A rare exception
LIB,MR BEARS
ImmortalTen said:

FLBear5630 said:

On my first post to this subject I started to say "ALL YOU PAT LOVERS GO TO HELL" but I thought a discussion might be more interesting. I hope I didn't permanently mess up the site's vibe.
I said something complementary about Pat. Lita said what you thought. We haven't dated since.

At least that's the way I remember it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.