February 1, 1845

703 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Anson Jones, President of the Republic of Texas, signed an act of congress granting the charter and officially establishing Baylor University.

Happy Birthday, all!!!!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
MrGolfguy
Republic of Texas * 1845 * Baylor University
BellCountyBear
Southwestern University in Georgetown disputes who was the first university of Texas. What say you?
whitetrash
BellCountyBear said:

Southwestern University in Georgetown disputes who was the first university of Texas. What say you?
My recollection may be a bit fuzzy, but:

There were several methodist schools that sprung up in the days of the republic and early statehood. The oldest was founded in 1840. Not sure if any of the others were older than BU. But it shut down at some point in the 1850s, along with some of the others, but the charters were not surrendered. A year or two later they took the books, desks, etc. of the shuttered schools and combined the charters of them into Southwestern. The original 1840 entity did not continue to exist post-merger.

On the other hand, when Baylor moved from Independence, it merged with Waco University (founded in 1885) but merged Waco U into the Baylor charter. So the original entity and charter remained intact.
ABC BEAR
whitetrash said:

BellCountyBear said:

There were several methodist schools that sprung up in the days of the republic and early statehood. The oldest was founded in 1840. Not sure if any of the others were older than BU. But it shut down at some point in the 1850s, along with some of the others, but the charters were not surrendered. A year or two later they took the books, desks, etc. of the shuttered schools and combined the charters of them into Southwestern. The original 1840 entity did not continue to exist post-merger.

On the other hand, when Baylor moved from Independence, it merged with Waco University (founded in 1885) but merged Waco U into the Baylor charter. So the original entity and charter remained intact.
But, but.....Rufus owned slaves so we must relinquish any and all claims in our past.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
ABC BEAR said:

whitetrash said:

BellCountyBear said:

But, but.....Rufus owned slaves so we must relinquish any and all claims in our past.
Sshhhhhhhh!!!
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.