Fixer Upper

14,559 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fat Daddy
Illinois Bear2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No way they quit TV. They are going the Oprah route. Starting their own production company and owning it all. Will make them Billionaires.
PartyBear
They aren't that big. HGTV is being sold. I have heard they think they can get a more favorable contract with the new parent company. Big gamble in my view. Because it looks like a new similar show is coming out on HGTV based in Ft Worth with another couple. I have wondered though if they are trying to get a similar show on prime time show on one of the big 3 networks.
El Oso
Wife is a huge Fixer Upper, Property Brothers and Flip or Flop fan so I see more than I want of these shows.

The new couple in Fort Worth is the worst of the lot. Granted they're rookies, but as far as these shows go--they are way behind and need to speed up their learning curve.

There's also another show that focuses on houses in the DFW area (the name escapes me at the moment) so that works against them as well.
whitetrash
JoJo's bun in the oven may alter their career trajectory for the foreseeable future.
NoBSU
El Oso said:

Wife is a huge Fixer Upper, Property Brothers and Flip or Flop fan so I see more than I want of these shows.

The new couple in Fort Worth is the worst of the lot. Granted they're rookies, but as far as these shows go--they are way behind and need to speed up their learning curve.

There's also another show that focuses on houses in the DFW area (the name escapes me at the moment) so that works against them as well.
I feel your pain. Hate Flip or Flop. I post a lot and read a lot of books. At least I can enjoy the Baylor/Waco part. I used to like the Candia contractor that fixed people's problems. Holmes I think. He went major network and disapeared.
Illinois Bear2
PartyBear said:

They aren't that big. HGTV is being sold. I have heard they think they can get a more favorable contract with the new parent company. Big gamble in my view. Because it looks like a new similar show is coming out on HGTV based in Ft Worth with another couple. I have wondered though if they are trying to get a similar show on prime time show on one of the big 3 networks.
Oprah wasn't that big when she started out either. But she controlled her destiny by owning the entire show. I suspect the Gaines will do the same and you'd be amazed how big they are around the country.
Moondoggie
Illinois Bear2 said:

PartyBear said:

Oprah wasn't that big when she started out either. But she controlled her destiny by owning the entire show. I suspect the Gaines will do the same and you'd be amazed how big they are around the country.

When I've personally had people in the Dakotas, Nebraska, San Diego and Illinois tell me they plan to retire in Waco,I say they are already huge.
Keyser Soze
Fixing up homes has been done over and over. The hits are all about the people which just can't be copied and the same results expected.
bularry
Illinois Bear2 said:

PartyBear said:

Exactly. HGTV was making all the money. Gaines will make it all going forward (TV wise). Good on them.
GoBearsGo
You could always just ask them. I think Chip used to lurk on the boards from time to time.

It's more about them than what they do to the homes. Jo is an amazing talent, but let's be honest, the homes have a certain style to them, not the same, but very similar. It's Chip and Jo and their family and how they paint a picture.

When you have a product line coming out with Target you are huge.

It will be exciting to see what they do next.
4th and Inches
GoBearsGo said:

You could always just ask them. I think Chip used to lurk on the boards from time to time.

It's more about them than what they do to the homes. Jo is an amazing talent, but let's be honest, the homes have a certain style to them, not the same, but very similar. It's Chip and Jo and their family and how they paint a picture.

When you have a product line coming out with Target you are huge.

It will be exciting to see what they do next.
they have a product line through furniture row as well
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
ABC BEAR
I have noticed national brand commercials who are casting actresses that strongly resemble Jo at first glance.

Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery.
NoBSU
I know several people in SW MO that have done remodels with shiplap feature in their homes. Their style is certainly a multi-regional phenomenon if not national.

As mentioned, Target and Furniture Row make it national. You can't just toss a married couple into a Texas locale and duplicate it. I know women of all ages that want to goto Waco to see homes and shop at their market.
Stranger
A Target store in Fort Worth has a whole Magnolia section. At the Pier One across the parking lot there was a big picture of Jojo selling The Magnolia Rug Collection. They have arrived, Big Time. The next Martha Stewart.
I'm a Bearbacker
Bear8084
PartyBear said:

They are pretty big. Their stuff is everywhere and they have shined quite a favorable light on Waco.
BaylorProud77
NoBSU said:

I know several people in SW MO that have done remodels with shiplap feature in their homes. Their style is certainly a multi-regional phenomenon if not national.

As mentioned, Target and Furniture Row make it national. You can't just toss a married couple into a Texas locale and duplicate it. I know women of all ages that want to goto Waco to see homes and shop at their market.
I do and just might do it this summer!
BaylorProud77
Bear8084 said:

PartyBear said:

They are pretty big. Their stuff is everywhere and they have shined quite a favorable light on Waco.
Which can't hurt!
OsoCoreyell
They are very, very big. One of the highest rated TV shows on cable. They are also set financially.
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

Are you serious?

They are a nationally known couple and their store is a national travel destination.

There have been people from New York who came just to write about the store. Waco was named the #2 travel destination by trip advisor. I'd say that is pretty big deall.

For the past 2 years or more any time of the year, any day of the week I go eat lunch, and maybe dinner, at a restaurant downtown/ near there it is full of out of town people just over from the silos/ about to go. Just last week I was at Torchy's and the lunch crowd was full of people visiting the silos.

Articles in USA Today, multiple in business insider, the daily mail, new york times & Post, people, time, on and on and on.

The silos were on pace to have 1.6 MILLION visitors by the end of 2017. More than the ALAMO gets.

And 2018 is expected to bring in over 2.6 million.

So yeah they are pretty big.

Nguyen One Soon
They are big enough that I now stay in Hillsboro when I come to Waco for weekend baseball series. Curious how the show ending will affect this.
PartyBear
Y'all understand the TV that they are allegedly ending is what drives it all. Without that they really aren't Oprah. Who starred in a movie "Color Purple": The store in Waco is not a self perpetuating tourist attraction like a Disney theme park resort. The TV show creates the attraction to it.

I hope they find a way to keep it going for Waco. I just thought it a gamble to cancel the show. I don't think they are big enough that it is a guaranteed winning gamble for them.
Keyser Soze
It is a gamble in regards to being high in pop culture, but they may not be concerned with that.

They are already a brand than can have a great and full life with or without TV.
PartyBear
Well everyone here is talking about being big in pop culture post TV show again I don't think they are big enough for that if that really is the thinking. I agree you can be rich and live an anonymous low profile life.
Bear8084
PartyBear said:

Y'all understand the TV that they are allegedly ending is what drives it all. Without that they really aren't Oprah. Who starred in a movie "Color Purple": The store in Waco is not a self perpetuating tourist attraction like a Disney theme park resort. The TV show creates the attraction to it.

I hope they find a way to keep it going for Waco. I just thought it a gamble to cancel the show. I don't think they are big enough that it is a guaranteed winning gamble for them.
Yeah the show drives some of it. But if you go out to any Target or Bed Bath and Beyond store their brand is everywhere. And the Silos drawing that crowd to Waco is crazy. Just because the show goes off doesn't mean people are going to instantly forget when their faces, commercials and brands are everywhere home goods are sold.
Keyser Soze
Bear8084 said:

PartyBear said:

Yeah the show drives some of it. But if you go out to any Target or Bed Bath and Beyond store their brand is everywhere. And the Silos drawing that crowd to Waco is crazy. Just because the show goes off doesn't mean people are going to instantly forget when their faces, commercials and brands are everywhere home goods are sold.
Had a small Baylor reunion last fall. We did it on a weekend of an away game thinking it would just be easier. No! Just about every room in Waco was booked because of Silo Fest !
PartyBear
Bear8084 said:

PartyBear said:

I agree it won't be instantly. But I suspect it dwindles down more quickly than some think for the Waco part of the equation, which is what my concern is.
Bear8084
PartyBear said:

Bear8084 said:

PartyBear said:

I agree it won't be instantly. But I suspect it dwindles down more quickly than some think for the Waco part of the equation, which is what my concern is.
If Waco wasn't on board and just stayed 2007 Waco, then yeah I would agree. But there have been a bunch of building, expansion and all around building up and positive growth of Waco making it into a pretty cool destination. Sure, there is still a lot to be done but it's not like it's the Waco of the 90s.
PartyBear
I was talking about tourism dwindling down not population. I didn't mean Waco would not still grow along with the rest of the corridor. But tourism is driving " cool" development down town etc faster than the population growth right now.
Bear8084
PartyBear said:

I was talking about tourism dwindling down not population. I didn't mean Waco would not still grow along with the rest of the corridor. But tourism is driving " cool" development down town etc faster than the population growth right now.
The Silos won't disappear because the show is gone. I believe that they are big enough Nationally to keep the popularity going.
PartyBear
Unless the Silos are incorporated into the logo and every Pier One and Target in the country from San Diego to Bangor, Maine and from Miami to Seattle has large signs hanging in them that say "Come Visit Magnolia Market, Waco", I don't think a national allure to come see that will survive without a TV show.
Bear8084
PartyBear said:

Unless the Silos are incorporated into the logo and every Pier One and Target in the country from San Diego to Bangor, Maine and from Miami to Seattle has large signs hanging in them that say "Come Visit Magnolia Market, Waco", I don't think a national allure to come see that will survive without a TV show.

I don't think you realize how big they are outside the show.
NoBSU
Same thing as the Pioneer Woman's business. She doesn't have to do shows in order to have people drive to the frozen tundra and buy her kitchen stuff at Walmart.

They could do nothing but blogs, online store, and youtube segments and still have people flocking to Waco for a decade. They are that well liked. TV will keep them growing their following not just maintaining.
PartyBear
Yes that is my point. TV will do that. No TV show, or no major frequent national advertising for their store, I have serious doubts tourism in Waco attributed to them maintains.
NoBSU
PartyBear said:

Yes that is my point. TV will do that. No TV show, or no major frequent national advertising for their store, I have serious doubts tourism in Waco attributed to them maintains.
TV grows. They can easily maintain their base. The base will still make plans to visit Mecca.
PartyBear
You assume the base will not get pulled away by new shows. Also again it isn't Disneyland. There are only so many trips the current people who come to see their store will come to see their store. Without TV creating new fans. It runs out.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.