Fixer Upper

14,697 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fat Daddy
Illinois Bear2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They are NOT going away on TV. They are just taking a break to start their own production company and own the whole thing. Then go into Syndication. That is my theory. It's the way to make it really big.
NoBSU
Did you miss that I said maintain for a decade? Jeff Dunham did it with a mailing list long before his Comedy Central specials. Made his money on his touring. TV expanded his audience but before TV he was still selling out shows.

Fine. Waco tourism is doomed. The Gaines family is doomed. Waco is doomed. Texas is doomed.
Yogi
PartyBear said:

Yes that is my point. TV will do that. No TV show, or no major frequent national advertising for their store, I have serious doubts tourism in Waco attributed to them maintains.
Not at the rate it does now, presuming that no alternative marketing takes place.

But, economics is an organic exercise, and from henceforth out, it all depends on how they market what they have.

For example, does Magnolia begin opening smaller retail centers. (This never seemed to work for Garden Ridge on a larger scale)

Does Magnolia Table become a chain?

Does the television show reincarnate itself at a later date and time?

They've tried a few spin-offs, but in my opinion, the best spinoff would be Dustin Anderson's D-1 designs. That would be a design show that could attract a larger section of the male market - considerate of the limited viewership of networks like HGTV.
merckywaters
BaylorGuy314
A big reason for the growth downtown is the traffic of the silos. Love chip and jo and what they've done but that traffic and interest will absolutely begin to slow significantly after a few years off air unless they parlay it into some other, highly visible, project.

When traffic slows down, many projects downtown will be less financially viable and will struggle to pay the rents that are currently being demanded in that area.

Waco (and downtown) has enough critical mass - in my opinion- to power through that inevitability but it may slow things down a bit for a while in the interim.

We need several large, white collar employers downtown in order to take the next step.
cowboycwr
Has there eve been a show like a fixer upper where a person or people had a business explode the way Chip and Joanna have AND completely stepped out of the light?

The closest I can come up with is Duck Dynasty or Jersey Shore. But DD did have like 2 or 3 spin offs, youtube things, etc that keep them in the "public" eye and they never really became a tourist destination.

I am asking to see if there is anything we can compare to or if this is a first time situation.

I know there have been bumps in areas getting tourism due to a mention in a movie or tv show that is short lived. Jersey had a bump from Jersey Shore, people want to visit bars because it is the one in Cheers, etc but none of these are centered around a business. They are shows that take place in that location, mention it, etc.
midgett
I suspected they wanted to see if they can get on a prime network.

Who knows?

They've done well, been a boon to Waco and reflected well on Baylor.
Fat Daddy
They are hosting a Marathon, a half and a 5K on May 6. Chip is running the marathon. Could bring in people from a multi-state area.

Thwor silo-bration brings in vendors and people from all over the USA.

I think traffic will slow, but the next couple of years will still be strong. But it could go on for 10 years at a favorable pace. And with other "things" (mammoth site, sports hall of fame, Ranger Museum, etc ) tourism can remain a positive for Waco.... and Magnolia will certainly be a part of it.

Just hope Waco / McLennan County doesn't spend based on current appraisals and tax revenues or give the farm away in concessions to ventures that won't outlive their incentives.

I was living in Hillsboro when the outlet mall first opened. It expanded a couple of times. Was a great time for Hillsboro. Some thought it would last forever. It didn't. But it was a nice 20 year run!
PartyBear
Ironic you said that. McLennan County and the City of Waco may have done that already with Magnolia. They got alot of tax breaks just before they announced they were cancelling their show. I am pretty certain city and county officials were blind sided and not informed of this plan when these breaks were being sought.
Yogi
PartyBear said:

Ironic you said that. McLennan County and the City of Waco may have done that already with Magnolia. They got alot of tax breaks just before they announced they were cancelling their show. I am pretty certain city and county officials were blind sided and not informed of this plan when these breaks were being sought.
They didn't give away anything. That area of downtown was nearly dead before Magnolia arrived. At worst, they break even.
PartyBear
Actually it wasn't dead. Unless you mean the specific block Magnolia is on. If that is what you meant by area of downtown, then I agree.
Yogi
PartyBear said:

Actually it wasn't dead. Unless you mean the specific block Magnolia is on. If that is what you meant by area of downtown, then I agree.
I am curious as to what other prospects there were for that area because I honestly don't know of any myself.
BaylorGuy314
Yogi said:

PartyBear said:

I am curious as to what other prospects there were for that area because I honestly don't know of any myself.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "that area."

Many of the projects on Franklin were already in place or on the drawing board before the Silos took off.
Much of the stuff from Clay to I-35 was already in the words. The projects around 10/11th and Cleveland (bank, several restaurants, a couple of hotels) are all projects that pre-exist the Silos.

The Silos did add a bunch of traffic, obviously, so that's created more investment in that area, without a doubt. Projects like Mary Avenue Market - the area between the VA and, say, Franklin, are almost solely a result of the silos. The traffic of the silos has created a demand for boutique shops and eateries that are willing to pay high rents to be close to that traffic.
Mitch Blood Green
El Oso said:

Wife is a huge Fixer Upper, Property Brothers and Flip or Flop fan so I see more than I want of these shows.

The new couple in Fort Worth is the worst of the lot. Granted they're rookies, but as far as these shows go--they are way behind and need to speed up their learning curve.

There's also another show that focuses on houses in the DFW area (the name escapes me at the moment) so that works against them as well.

Flip or Flop Nashville has great promise. I see that as the next big hit on HGTV.

Chip and Jo are gonna do great in whatever they do next. Their licensing deal should be lucrative.
Gust Avrakotos
Fixer Upper is going to run its course at some point. Probably already declining.

No couple, no matter how strong of a bond, can get that excited about ship lap year after year after year.

The American public will see through fake excitement over ship lap.

The Gaines will be fine nevertheless.

Gust
cowboycwr
cowboycwr said:

Has there eve been a show like a fixer upper where a person or people had a business explode the way Chip and Joanna have AND completely stepped out of the light?

The closest I can come up with is Duck Dynasty or Jersey Shore. But DD did have like 2 or 3 spin offs, youtube things, etc that keep them in the "public" eye and they never really became a tourist destination.

I am asking to see if there is anything we can compare to or if this is a first time situation.

I know there have been bumps in areas getting tourism due to a mention in a movie or tv show that is short lived. Jersey had a bump from Jersey Shore, people want to visit bars because it is the one in Cheers, etc but none of these are centered around a business. They are shows that take place in that location, mention it, etc.

Anyone?
xiledinok
PartyBear said:

They aren't that big. HGTV is being sold. I have heard they think they can get a more favorable contract with the new parent company. Big gamble in my view. Because it looks like a new similar show is coming out on HGTV based in Ft Worth with another couple. I have wondered though if they are trying to get a similar show on prime time show on one of the big 3 networks.
Looks to me like Illinois Bear was right on the money.
Illinois Bear2
PartyBear said:

They aren't that big. HGTV is being sold. I have heard they think they can get a more favorable contract with the new parent company. Big gamble in my view. Because it looks like a new similar show is coming out on HGTV based in Ft Worth with another couple. I have wondered though if they are trying to get a similar show on prime time show on one of the big 3 networks.
Hahaha!! Yes they are. When they said they were done with TV and wanted to spend more time with family I knew it was bs. No way were they stepping away from TV and syndication. Wonder if she does a show like Oprah, turns their new building in downtown Waco into a studio, etc. Should be huge for downtown.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/11/10/chip-and-joanna-gaines-announce-theyre-coming-back-tv/1956227002/
PartyBear
Yep. I knew something else had to be in the works because they need TV to keep all of this rolling.
Wichitabear
I see where NoBSU posted on this thread. Even though I did not know him personally, I give him a star to honor his memory. Just shocked that he left life so suddenly. Bless his family.
RegentCoverup
True story, I'm on a train heading to Frankfurt Airport in Germany. Last day there, I put on my trusty, comfortable, short sleeve Baylor polo I bought in the bookstore.

As I'm on the train I notice an older gentleman watching me, and I'm starting to get a bit nervous.
Before he stands up to exit the train, he says in heavily accented English, "I knew I recognized that logo, I am a big fan of Chip and Joanna, Waco seems like a wonderful place!"

As shocked as I am to say it, I believe they have a global brand.
4th and Inches
They are also one of the few brands that has ever transcended the show... fixer upper brand is not what is known, Magnolia is the brand known
beardoc
I had never heard of the show, but I was on the Staten Island Ferry and some French tourists asked where I was from. When I said "Texas", they said "Oh, Fixer Upper!" I had no idea what it was or that it was in Waco.
BellCountyBear
beardoc said:

I had never heard of the show, but I was on the Staten Island Ferry and some French tourists asked where I was from. When I said "Texas", they said "Oh, Fixer Upper!" I had no idea what it was or that it was in Waco.

Live under a rock, much?
beardoc
this was some time ago. But, yes, I do.
hodedofome
Chip's announcement was premature as they haven't signed anything with Discovery Networks yet. Not even Magnolia people know the details as they haven't been finalized.
OsoCoreyell
In a meeting in Shanghai a month ago. During a break, several Chinese are asking me about where I live in the US. In the conversation, it comes up that my daughter is a Baylor in Waco, Texas.

"Ah! Magnolia! Chip and JoJo!" said several at once. "What a good choice by your daughter. Sounds like a lot of fun!"

I really couldn't believe it. Media is some amazing stuff.
Yogi
BaylorGuy314 said:

We need several large, white collar employers downtown in order to take the next step.
I hate to divert the conversation here, but if I was a large, white collar employer, why would I want to set up shop in Waco?

I am not saying it could never happen. In terms of location, Waco is really no different than Austin. Waco does have many favorable natural resources.

But, I am certain that Waco is doing what it takes to ultimately attract that kind of growth. You can feed your garden with Brawndo, but water works better.

I think Waco really needs to strengthen its talent pool and develop for that demographic.

I think Waco will continue to grow, but I guess I see a more blue collar and less educated/ skilled population growth - and that pool, while it serves the entire community, will not attract the kind of attention necessary to bring about those white collar jobs.

I still love blue collar jobs. It's great when everyone has the opportunity to work, but it does tend to lower wages and result in a talent leak.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Ludwig von Missi
Yogi said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

I hate to divert the conversation here, but if I was a large, white collar employer, why would I want to set up shop in Waco?

I am not saying it could never happen. In terms of location, Waco is really no different than Austin. Waco does have many favorable natural resources.

But, I am certain that Waco is doing what it takes to ultimately attract that kind of growth. You can feed your garden with Brawndo, but water works better.

I think Waco really needs to strengthen its talent pool and develop for that demographic.

I think Waco will continue to grow, but I guess I see a more blue collar and less educated/ skilled population growth - and that pool, while it serves the entire community, will not attract the kind of attention necessary to bring about those white collar jobs.

I still love blue collar jobs. It's great when everyone has the opportunity to work, but it does tend to lower wages and result in a talent leak.

I think you have the chicken and egg part of this equation backwards. Talent follows the jobs, not vice versa.
BaylorGuy314
Yogi said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

As Crash said, there is a little bit of chicken/egg here. Talent will follow jobs. Jobs will set up shop where there is talent.

I just feel like Waco needs a couple or three mid-sized companies to move offices here. There was talk about a major communication company (maybe AT&T or Verizon) committing a sizeable amount of good-paying office jobs to Waco a year or two ago but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Waco isn't talent poor. I mean, Baylor is a huge asset to the community and could be a nice resource to a company that wanted to set up shop here or even relocate a portion of their workforce here. It's just about getting to a critical mass and having a couple of companies make that first step.
cowboycwr
BaylorGuy314 said:

Yogi said:

BaylorGuy314 said:

As Crash said, there is a little bit of chicken/egg here. Talent will follow jobs. Jobs will set up shop where there is talent.

I just feel like Waco needs a couple or three mid-sized companies to move offices here. There was talk about a major communication company (maybe AT&T or Verizon) committing a sizeable amount of good-paying office jobs to Waco a year or two ago but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Waco isn't talent poor. I mean, Baylor is a huge asset to the community and could be a nice resource to a company that wanted to set up shop here or even relocate a portion of their workforce here. It's just about getting to a critical mass and having a couple of companies make that first step.
Good point.

There are numerous examples of a company with lots of white collar jobs opening up in a location and the talent follows.

One good example I can think of recently was in the Houston area. Exxon moved it's headquarters to Spring/woodlands area. Many of the employees moved to that side of town.

When google, amazon, etc open a second headquarters/location they choose a location and the people follow.

Look at Austin, Round Rock, Silicon Valley, etc. Not a major white collar area at one point. Then the companies moved in/ grew and they became white collar areas.

It does help to already have that when trying to attract other white collar jobs so that the company knows they can attract employees who might have spouses that need a job and can find it in the area but it is not a requirement.
The Old BEAR
PartyBear said:

You assume the base will not get pulled away by new shows. Also again it isn't Disneyland. There are only so many trips the current people who come to see their store will come to see their store. Without TV creating new fans. It runs out.
History repeats it'self. Look at Duck Dynasty. They were on the top of the world. They couldn't manufacture their products fast enough. Hotels in the area were sold out.
Today, their business is off by 40% from two years ago.
The Chip and Joanna craze will wear down and follow the same decrease in numbers. There is only so much you can do.
cowboycwr
Doug said:

PartyBear said:

You assume the base will not get pulled away by new shows. Also again it isn't Disneyland. There are only so many trips the current people who come to see their store will come to see their store. Without TV creating new fans. It runs out.
History repeats it'self. Look at Duck Dynasty. They were on the top of the world. They couldn't manufacture their products fast enough. Hotels in the area were sold out.
Today, their business is off by 40% from two years ago.
The Chip and Joanna craze will wear down and follow the same decrease in numbers. There is only so much you can do.

Duck dynasty also was hurt by off the show issues. Not just fans being burnt out.
Fat Daddy
I am at the Silos now .... it's packed....
The Old BEAR
Fat Daddy said:

I am at the Silos now .... it's packed....
Did you go on your own... or your wife drag you?
Been once (my wife conned me into going)... never to return.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.