Fixer Upper

14,648 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fat Daddy
Fat Daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doug said:

Fat Daddy said:

I am at the Silos now .... it's packed....
Did you go on your own... or your wife drag you?
Been once (my wife conned me into going)... never to return.

Came with out of town company.

I enjoy visiting with "others".... today talked to a couple from Pennsylvania. They were going to Houston for family Christmas but planned their trip with two days in Waco.

Magnolia / the Silos / Fixer Up has helped transform Waco. Whether you are a fan or not, can't discount the impact they have made! No, it won't last forever, but a lot of it will impact Waco for at least another 5-10 years.
The Old BEAR
Fat Daddy said:

Doug said:

Fat Daddy said:

I enjoy visiting with "others".... today talked to a couple from Pennsylvania. They were going to Houston for family Christmas but planned their trip with two days in Waco.

Magnolia / the Silos / Fixer Up has helped transform Waco. Whether you are a fan or not, can't discount the impact they have made! No, it won't last forever, but a lot of it will impact Waco for at least another 5-10 years.
Oh, I agree with you 100%. What they have done for Waco is unbelievable!
It just amazes me how people have become so enamored with a family and a couple of old Silos that most Wacoans thought would be torn down for new construction.
My wife takes girl friends every 2-3 weeks to see it. Me, been there once.. done that!
Now if they sold Cold Beer...!!!!
beardoc
Doug said:

Fat Daddy said:

Doug said:

Fat Daddy said:

It just amazes me how people have become so enamored with a family and a couple of old Silos that most Wacoans thought would be torn down for new construction.
My wife takes girl friends every 2-3 weeks to see it. Me, been there once.. done that!

Seems like a good business opportunity for someone, to open a beer joint near the silos for husbands to sit and wait on their wives.
Edmond Bear

Couple of notes:

I travel a lot for a living and people everywhere have heard of Fixer Upper and have a positive impression of Waco because of it. Have had several coworkers and clients say they want to make a trip to Waco.

The Gaines have moved beyond a show and are getting their own lifestyle channel. Who knows what they will populate it with but the Waco infusion will probably be strong.
Illinois Bear2
Gust Avrakotos said:

Fixer Upper is going to run its course at some point. Probably already declining.

No couple, no matter how strong of a bond, can get that excited about ship lap year after year after year.

The American public will see through fake excitement over ship lap.

The Gaines will be fine nevertheless.

Gust
Hard to say. If they own their show and syndicate it like Oprah they could be around for a long time and become extremely wealthy. Great for Waco.
hodedofome
beardoc said:

Doug said:

Fat Daddy said:

Doug said:

Fat Daddy said:

Seems like a good business opportunity for someone, to open a beer joint near the silos for husbands to sit and wait on their wives.

There is a large bar less than a block away from the silos.
hodedofome
Doug said:

PartyBear said:

You assume the base will not get pulled away by new shows. Also again it isn't Disneyland. There are only so many trips the current people who come to see their store will come to see their store. Without TV creating new fans. It runs out.
History repeats it'self. Look at Duck Dynasty. They were on the top of the world. They couldn't manufacture their products fast enough. Hotels in the area were sold out.
Today, their business is off by 40% from two years ago.
The Chip and Joanna craze will wear down and follow the same decrease in numbers. There is only so much you can do.

As long as you don't open your mouth about your beliefs on LGBTQ, you're fine. The media tried to suck Chip & Jo into this a year ago but they weren't falling for it. We saw what it did to Duck Dynasty.

That being said, I believe Magnolia's numbers are down (or at least the growth has slowed) from no show being on, so they need something to jump start the growth again. They are reigning in expenses from what I understand.
beardoc
hodedofome said:

beardoc said:

Doug said:

Fat Daddy said:

Doug said:

Fat Daddy said:

There is a large bar less than a block away from the silos.
NOW you tell me!!!
marco
hodedofome said:

Doug said:

PartyBear said:

You assume the base will not get pulled away by new shows. Also again it isn't Disneyland. There are only so many trips the current people who come to see their store will come to see their store. Without TV creating new fans. It runs out.
History repeats it'self. Look at Duck Dynasty. They were on the top of the world. They couldn't manufacture their products fast enough. Hotels in the area were sold out.
Today, their business is off by 40% from two years ago.
The Chip and Joanna craze will wear down and follow the same decrease in numbers. There is only so much you can do.

As long as you don't open your mouth about your beliefs on LGBTQ, you're fine. The media tried to suck Chip & Jo into this a year ago but they weren't falling for it. We saw what it did to Duck Dynasty.

That being said, I believe Magnolia's numbers are down (or at least the growth has slowed) from no show being on, so they need something to jump start the growth again. They are reigning in expenses from what I understand.
So does that make them like the King and Queen of expenses? Is that good?
cowboycwr
She had 2 best selling books in 2018. One was #2 and the other was #20. Only Michelle Obama's book was a better nonfiction seller.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/joanna-gaines-two-books-make-nonfiction-top-in/article_1d2d185d-be10-5740-aa03-bd27f4252d62.html

CorsicanaBear

Quote:

Back yard is right around the corner on 8th and, for higher class fare, the Bar in Balcones Distillery and Milo's are close (but probably not in walking distance) as well on 11th and Franklin. And Hecho In Waco runs a great tequila bar at 6th and Mary about 1.5 blocks away.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BylrFan
I don't see it dying anytime soon.
Wichitabear
Lol you just crack me up
Edmond Bear

this must be delayed laughter....

Wichitabear
Well you know
cowboycwr
I think it was mentioned before but they are starting their own channel.

Now they are starting a coffee shop near the silos.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/chip-joanna-gaines-announce-new-coffee-shop-texas

Oh and they bought the Castle on Austin avenue that gives the neighborhood the name Castle Heights.

https://www.foxnews.com/real-estate/chip-and-joanna-gaines-buy-historic-cottonland-castle-in-texas

So yeah it doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.
PartyBear
Maybe the castle will be the logo shown just before the new show starts like a Disney movie.
Fat Daddy
They are marketing geniuses .....they bought a town on Interstate 35, just as you enter Texas from Oklahoma. Seeing "Gainesville" just helps put one in a certain frame of mind!

Guess they learned that trick from Buc-ees! You see their signs when you are still 100 miles away! Would a beaver be appropriate for Gainesville?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.