Dry July: 30 Days, No Booze

10,527 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dia del DougO
Golem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who is in?

When I do cutting cycles, I drop all booze and carbs. Sucks for about 3 days, but you lean out much more quickly. Always feel much better when doing it.

Now it's a thing. Who knew? Here's the benefits. Give it a shot.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2018-07-01/dry-july-the-health-benefits-of-a-month-without-booze/9925022
Mitch Blood Green
Most people I know who do this do it in January. Kicks off the year.
Golem
tommie said:

Most people I know who do this do it in January. Kicks off the year.

Yeah, I did it then too. Try to cut out all the nonsense about twice a year. I call it "extreme moderation". I live like a king for about 4 months (burgers, beer, butter, bread, booze) and then a pauper for 2 (broccoli, chicken breast, jerky). The average of that is a healthy weight. So far it's been working.
Buck Whiskey
February 10 th was my last drink.
Golem
Buck Whiskey said:

February 10 th was my last drink.

Good work man! I don't know your rationale, but good work.
El Oso
I did dry May.
fadskier
My last drink was last night. I definitely need to tone it down...been drinking too much lately.
Golem
Yeah, sometimes it's a good idea just to cut everything out just to prove to yourself you still have control and remind yourself how good moderation feels. I guess it's why fasting is such a big thing in the Bible. It tends to center you.
fadskier
Going to finish up what I have and do a dry July 15 to August 15. Not looking forward to it. I like to drink.
El Oso
Me too.

But what I found may did for me:
1. Showed I'm not an alcoholic. I like to drink but I can put it down and walk away for an extended time.
2. Actually slowed down the following months. I've been going up to a week in between drinks and I've only been buzzed once since May. Yes, I know it's July 3, but the point is it seemed to remind me about moderation. In take is still at a net loss from what it was before May.
Keyser Soze

My real demon - only about one or two a month now, but the habit was very bad once
4th and Inches
Keyser Soze said:

My real demon - only about one or two a month now, but the habit was very bad once
been soda free since Jan 1 2018.

I could go alcohol free for a month but it's not really a sacrifice for me because I go months at a time without alcohol anyway. Soda has been much more of a challenge. Still have the urge every time I go to a restaurant or convenience store.
ABC BEAR
My last beer was in February, 1986 and I've never had a mixed drink. None of this aversion to alcohol is because I'm a super Baptist, rather a result of being raised in a drinking culture and seeing mean drunks, maintenance drinkers, lushes and casual drinkers up close from an early age. My dad had a well stocked fridge in the basement and entertained a steady stream of guys who stopped by for a highball on their way home after work. My uncle owned a bar/restaurant where I frequently ate, so there's that too.

By the time I reached the age of consent (18 back then) there was no appeal whatsoever to take up drinking. Too many years of watching people stumble through life in an alcoholic twilight zone, jaundice oily skinned and generally miserable lives took the shine off the apple for me.

I did have a few beers during my grad school days as a way of being social on pizza night and discovered my limit was like 1.

Now when I ache and have a hard time getting out of bed, I wonder how much worse I could feel if I were a drinking man. I don't feel like I've missed out on very many 'good times' by staying away from the stuff.
Doc Holliday
Try intermittent fasting. It works.

I dropped 4 pounds last week.

Just eat only between 11am-7pm. Eat veggies/protien and maybe some fruit. Lots of water.

It's really that simple.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Keyser Soze
I lost 2 lbs. between 6:45 & 6:50 this morning.

Doc Holliday
Keyser Soze said:

intermittent pooping?
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Keyser Soze
Doc Holliday said:

Try intermittent fasting. It works.

I dropped 4 pounds last week.

Just eat only between 11am-7pm. Eat veggies/protien and maybe some fruit. Lots of water.

It's really that simple.

Considering this.

Interesting story: There was a weight loss product - I think it was called vigger-fit , was heavily advertised on the Ticket (Sport radio 1310 DFW) years ago. One of the host, Greggo, was a user and the spokes person. The product required a spoonful before bed, but required it to be taken no sooner than 3 or 4 hours after your last food intake. There were some success stories - especially by the paid host.

FDA eventually hammered the product for false claims. Turned out all the real weight loss was from intermittent fasting that was required to use the product properly.

Golem
Keyser Soze said:

That is REMARKABLE!

What, pray tell, did you eat 8-12 hours prior?
Buck Whiskey
Keyser Soze said:

High school weight lifting competition a guy lost 3 pounds to make weight. I couldn't believe it.
NoBSU
Buck Whiskey said:

Keyser Soze said:

High school weight lifting competition a guy lost 3 pounds to make weight. I couldn't believe it.
I knew a lot of wrestlers. I have seen that many times. One of the more creative ways: spitting to make weight.
NoBSU
GolemIII said:

Keyser Soze said:

That is REMARKABLE!

What, pray tell, did you eat 8-12 hours prior?
Has to be cheese.
Keyser Soze
Not giving many details - but if we all lived in the dorm I would take a pic and claim the championship

Golem
LIB,MR BEARS
Keyser Soze said:

I have trouble with soft drinks. I like the flavor, the caffeine and the sugar. I'm not a coffee drinker at all so I use Coke (the liquid) to get me started in the morning. What I have found that works as a nice replacement is V8 Energy. It is a green tea base with a lot of fruit and vegetable juice mixed added. One can is about equal to a coffee for caffeine.

4th and Inches
Gonna look into the V8 product
Buck Whiskey
NoBSU said:

Buck Whiskey said:

Keyser Soze said:

I knew a lot of wrestlers. I have seen that many times. One of the more creative ways: spitting to make weight.
Yeah but a 3 pound dump?
NoBSU
Buck Whiskey said:

NoBSU said:

Buck Whiskey said:

Keyser Soze said:

Yeah but a 3 pound dump?
Some people don't go as often as others. So once or twice a week? But with a wrestler eating very little prior to a match, I get your point.
BellCountyBear
I've gotten into the habit of bourbon/ice every night before bed. I sleep fine. Will this kill me?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
BellCountyBear said:

I've gotten into the habit of bourbon/ice every night before bed. I sleep fine. Will this kill me?
most of what I have read is that one alcoholic drink per day is fine. Anything more than that is probably not good. My vice is rum and coke or whiskey and coke.

Been trying to eliminate Sunday- Thursday and only have a couple of drinks on Friday and Saturday. I definitely drink too many calories. Set a goal to be under 200 calories in liquids per day at the first of the year but when I track it, I am usually between 200-400 per day. I know if I could eliminate that extra 200-300 daily, I would get to my weight goal. That and intermittent fasting which has already been mentioned.
Mitch Blood Green
fadskier said:

My last drink was last night. I definitely need to tone it down...been drinking too much lately.

Yeah. I'm gonna go booze free this week unless something changes.
Mitch Blood Green
BellCountyBear said:

Your bigger risk is if your wife catches you with your girlfriend.
Mitch Blood Green
Keyser Soze said:

I bet you were sweating.
Keyser Soze
So you are a big advocate of gun control right?
Ashley Hodge
Staff
This reminds me of a line that betitall says every tailgate.

"I don't drink any more..."

"I don't drink any more or any less than I used to"
Mitch Blood Green
Keyser Soze said:

So you are a big advocate of gun control right?

I am for both gun control and ban on assault weapons.

I'm not for no guns. You should be able to defend yourself. (Unless there's evidence that you shouldn't be within 500 feet of a gun).
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.