Dry July: 30 Days, No Booze

10,699 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dia del DougO
Moondoggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Last drink was 2/15/15. I don't even think about it now and feel fantastic
As much as I have read here about struggling to quit temporarily, remember that alcoholism can just include binges, even if they are for 11 months of the year. You can also be functional.
fadskier
Just got back from my annual physical....doc says everything is great and that all my numbers are fantastic and I couldn't be any healthier. So now I'm thinking, why am I giving up alcohol for 30 days?!
Golem
pitchman said:

Last drink was 2/15/15. I don't even think about it now and feel fantastic
As much as I have read here about struggling to quit temporarily, remember that alcoholism can just include binges, even if they are for 11 months of the year. You can also be functional.

You are of course right. Wise words. That said, a lot of the struggle isn't with the drink itself. It's with doing anything socially.

I was doing the same thing last summer and went to a friends home for a party. I literally told the hostess "no thank you" approximately 15 times. The host, about 8 times. My not drinking became the topic of conversation for a while.

I travel a lot. Airport lounges? Everyone is drinking free booze. Executive lounges in hotels? Everyone is drinking free booze. Walked down the street last night (in Budapest right now) and it's basically a choice between ice cream and beer every 6 steps. Alcohol is a struggle because it's not only ubiquitous, but it's woven in to almost every aspect of "off time".

When was the last time you called up a buddy just to go grab a coffee? If it's coffee, you usually have a purpose...an ulterior motive. But a beer? Well, that's the drink you grab when you want to unwind, blow off steam, sulk, laugh, congratulate, etc. It's not so much the drink as the emotion we associate with it and how closely it's tied to relaxing or celebratory social events.

That's why stopping for a month is a challenge. You become a social pariah for 30 days.
Golem
fadskier said:

Just got back from my annual physical....doc says everything is great and that all my numbers are fantastic and I couldn't be any healthier. So now I'm thinking, why am I giving up alcohol for 30 days?!

Abs
fadskier
GolemIII said:

fadskier said:

Abs
My abs aren't too bad, and damn you for your support in keeping me liquor free!!!!!!

BTW, can you say what you do for a living (generally) sounds interesting...
LIB,MR BEARS
I stopped drinking a little over 15 years ago. I was a social drinker. I typically didn't have alcohol in the house but would drink at events/gatherings. The last time I got drunk I was playing golf with my father in law so it's not like I was out running around bars while my wife was at home with the kids.

At this same time, I had a brother in law who was drunk most weekends, spent family savings on alcohol, had to drink in the morning to "settle his nerves" so he could work (commercial artist) and would pass out more evenings than not. My wife would buy his kids shoes for school because mom and dad didn't have any money though they did have a full fridge.

He finally recognized he was an alcoholic and started going to AA meetings. That lasted a couple of weeks when he decided he wasn't like those people. Then he decided to quit cold turkey. I remember being at a family function and for the first time ever, he was the only one NOT drinking. He was sweating, shaking, going in and out of the house. "Hey, great job! Really proud of you" as we all twist off another cap. That was the extent of our support. "Atta boy" but I'm not letting your problem slow me down. He gave up on the cold turkey approach and tried moderation.

About a month or two later, he and my sister in law got into a big argument and he decided he needed some space so he went back to his hometown for a weekend to unwind. He hung out with his brother who was a user and they partied pretty hard that weekend. When the weekend was over, he called his wife and said "I'm headed home. I'll see you in a couple hours."

The driver of a car that was behind his van while stopped at an intersection said they saw him fall over toward the center console. As he did, the weight of his body must have shifted to his right leg and therefore to the accelerator pedal. The van took off down the road with him slumped over. The van, accelerating with an unconscious driver, made it 5-6 houses down the road before going through one yard and squarely hitting a tree in the next. With him slumped over, when the airbag deployed, it did no good as it went over his left shoulder. His head slammed into the radio and AC control head causing massive brain damage. He died a couple days later with his wife, 3 kids, extended family and friends in attendance as he was taken off of life support. The doctor said they found coke, among other things, in his system. Supposedly the coke was from that weekend only - I really don't know if that is true or not.

That family didn't get destroyed that weekend. They had been destroyed over the previous years. The weekend was just a culmination of all the other small, destructive events from previous years.

In the following years, we've seen the widow battle her own issues with guilt, we've had 2 of their 3 kids live with us. We've seen emotional issues, drug issues, issues from lack of a father and many other things. This time, we did more than say "atta boy".

The silver lining? I quit drinking about a month after the crash. My son (28), who watched this nightmare growing up, will not touch alcohol.

This is a poor analogy but I look at alcohol the way I look at guns. When handled properly, they can both be safe. When misused, they can both be deadly. The really painful part isn't the death, but the lingering collateral damage that goes on for years.

There's bound to be some clever saying about guns, alcohol and being loaded but I can't come up with it. So, I'll just say this:

if you drink, do so in moderation.

Family and friends ALWAYS trump that next drink

Fill the kids closet before you fill that fridge in the garage

Your actions in front of your kids carry tons more weight than your words.

All the answers at the bottom of a bottle are wrong. Look somewhere else to fix things.

A slap on the back and an "atta boy" while popping a top is not supporting an alcoholic.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/1-corinthians/6-12.html

"I have the right to do anything," you saybut not everything is beneficial. "I have the right to do anything"but I will not be mastered by anything.
LIB,MR BEARS
fadskier said:

GolemIII said:

fadskier said:

Abs
My abs aren't too bad, and damn you for your support in keeping me liquor free!!!!!!

careful what you ask for. Years ago, he told a guy named Katsung what he did. Katsung has been running for his life everyday since.
Golem
fadskier said:

GolemIII said:

fadskier said:

Abs

Recently you could boil it down to saying I hang out with foreign nerds and locate opportunities for FDI.
Keyser Soze
Thanks for sharing. Alcohol has touched my family in negative ways as well.

LIB,MR BEARS
GolemIII said:

fadskier said:

GolemIII said:

fadskier said:

Abs

Recently you could boil it down to saying I hang out with foreign nerds and locate opportunities for FDI.
Are you a Nigerian prince? If so, thanks for trusting me enough to help you with the funds. Account info coming shortly
Golem
LIB,MR BEARS said:

GolemIII said:

fadskier said:

GolemIII said:

fadskier said:

Abs

Are you a Nigerian prince? If so, thanks for trusting me enough to help you with the funds. Account info coming shortly

Barrister Oagadinugabuda thank you for you support and beautiful helpings. It difficult time moving immensely big fortune inheritance.
fadskier
I can retire from my current job in four years...will go into something else. I'm ready for a new career.
Keyser Soze

read and interesting story on the Nigerian prince scam.

Most of us ask why so obviously fake? Surely a scammer could be more sophisticated in their scam right?

Such an obvious scam has a built in filtering device. The scammer is working with a huge number of targets, what they can't afford to is spend time with people dumb enough to contact them and ask questions, but smart enough to not completely fall for it. So by being obviously fake, they get to that uber small percentage they are seeking to scam without wasting time.

LIB,MR BEARS
Keyser Soze said:

read and interesting story on the Nigerian prince scam.

Most of us ask why so obviously fake? Surely a scammer could be more sophisticated in their scam right?

Such an obvious scam has a built in filtering device. The scammer is working with a huge number of targets, what they can't afford to is spend time with people dumb enough to contact them and ask questions, but smart enough to not completely fall for it. So by being obviously fake, they get to that uber small percentage they are seeking to scam without wasting time.

So, your saying I'm unique? Awesome!!!
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I was in a Chinese hospital last week. I think it was a combination of flu food poisoning and dehydration. Leaving out the gory details I lost a lot of weight quickly. Couldnt eat anything for 5 days. Lost a lot of quick weight uncontrollable chills and sweats. An IV and some attention to electrolytes led to recovery.

I haven't had a beer in over a month but will go dancing this weekend. I agree and often cut drinking for weeks at a time just to make sure I can.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
BUrbon
Keyser Soze said:

I lost 2 lbs. between 6:45 & 6:50 this morning.

Bwahahaha, a cup of Joe will do that. Grease the tubes.
BUrbon
Juice for a day and I drop a couple lbs and the bloating is gone.
Juiceland hippies can help out a brother, if one needs some consultation.
Golem
It's working. 23lbs down in 29 days. I like this dry July thing. It just goes to show how much booze messes with your body.
NoBSU
GolemIII said:

It's working. 23lbs down in 29 days. I like this dry July thing. It just goes to show how much booze messes with your body.
Oh, there are tastes that really "hit the spot." Mostly acquired tastes. But isn't the point of drinking alcohol to have it "mess" with your body?

I dropped sugar soda two months ago. I have one diet drink a week. Otherwise it is water, green tea, and a little coffee from 7 pm to 11 am. I drink orange/black/green tea mix during 11 am to 7 pm. It is hot so I am eating light anyway, but a point that I wanted to make is that cutting dairy has probably been more beneficial to me for weight/bloat than an alcohol hiatus.
Golem
NoBSU said:

GolemIII said:

Oh, there are tastes that really "hit the spot." Mostly acquired tastes. But isn't the point of drinking alcohol to have it "mess" with your body?

I dropped sugar soda two months ago. I have one diet drink a week. Otherwise it is water, green tea, and a little coffee from 7 pm to 11 am. I drink orange/black/green tea mix during 11 am to 7 pm. It is hot so I am eating light anyway, but a point that I wanted to make is that cutting dairy has probably been more beneficial to me for weight/bloat than an alcohol hiatus.
I think, at least for me, I get a triple whammy from booze.

1. More calories through the booze itself - and I can drink a LOT of them.
2. More calories because I start snacking when I drink.
3. Less exercise because I feel like garbage in the morning.

As fast as I can lose weight, I can gain it almost as fast when I am drinking without thinking.

Have you tried "Dirty Chai Tea"? It's really good.
NoBSU
No. It sounds like something a get in a back alley for 20 bucks. I will try it. I grew up on unsweetened ice tea as the family leisure time/dinner time drink. While not always quenching like a cold Coke, I enjoy tea. Green tea can be flavorless so I add a little black tea during the day. No sugar or artificial sweetners.

This is my first time with this diet. Two weeks in and I like that it fits my schedule. My work has a lot of meetings but few lunch meetings. I find that I am cutting out a lot of unnecessary and unhealthy calories as I wake up and post dinner sweet tooth cravings.

I lost four pounds week one and weigh again Saturday.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
GolemIII said:

congrats that is great. When you did drink, hard to stop at just one drink? Just curious how much alcohol you were drinking before?
Golem
Ashley Hodge said:

GolemIII said:

congrats that is great. When you did drink, hard to stop at just one drink? Just curious how much alcohol you were drinking before?

Wine is extremely inexpensive where I live. You can get a decent Spanish Tempranillo for under 5 euros. It's crazy. So that makes it pretty easy to polish off three bottles in an evening (between 2 people). Beer and whiskey are things I do w business associates and we really drink when out.

All that said, it's unusual to drink only one. Unless you mean bottle. Could I have only one? Sure. But why? The effect of alcohol wouldn't even begin to show. If it's only one drink, I'll usually pick something without calories.

I'm kind of an all or nothing personality. If I do something (drinking or losing weight) I do it 110%. Moderation lacks commitment.
RegentCoverup
NoBSU said:

Buck Whiskey said:

Keyser Soze said:

I lost 2 lbs. between 6:45 & 6:50 this morning.

High school weight lifting competition a guy lost 3 pounds to make weight. I couldn't believe it.
I knew a lot of wrestlers.
I was afraid to read any further
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
RegentCoverup
GolemIII said:

Numbers don't lie. That's impressive.

This is an interesting discussion and having traveled around Europe for long stretches I can empathize with the challenges you face. As if I needed an incentive, one of my work colleagues lined up a few brewery tours in Germany and Belgium. Inebriation wasn't the problem, it was that I consumed a slow, steady quantity of alcohol for days on end. I like the taste of 'good' beer, but my body was starting to revolt and I had an issue that helped me wise up. The pounds certainly would have kept me off a Calvin Klein billboard ad, haha

In Australia, I spent the work week racking up hours and then playing hard physically(running, sports, hiking) and my limited fluid intake was of course, beer. While I was pouring sweat, I felt lightheaded, sort of uncomfortable and felt like I was losing blood. turns out I tore something and was bleeding internally. That took a brutal surgery back in the states to fix. And it sucked to high heaven. Point being, one of the biggest threats of steady alcohol consumption is dehydration. My lesson was the result of a simple error and was painful to correct.

The positive of Europe for me was that I walked a crazy amount. Rarely was I behind the wheel of a car and the weather was such that it wasn't Texas hot and I could go for a walk anytime. So I started carrying shorts, a shirt and running shoes in my bag and I'd make it a point to go for a quick 2-3 mile run as soon as work ended just to get a sweat going. As little as 30 minutes, not longer than an hour and 15 mins. Point being: The window of time between the end of the work period at 5 and dinner is a golden opportunity to kill a couple of habits. Do a quick run and it will a) suppress your appetite b) kill the desire to turn the anxiety of a workday into alcohol consumption. It doesn't have to be running, there are a long list of things you can do, just get the heart rate going. The key is you feel anxious and the need to have a release when you leave the office. It's really easy to grab a drink, but the costs to that are the problem. Substituting exercise is a good way to dupe your body and give yourself the same release.

Now that I'm off the road, I'm eating steak for breakfast and going for a 500 meter swim early, then something else after work. It's kicking my ass, but it's effective as hell in burning fat. Following a few good trainers who understand the challenges of being over 40 is a big plus. Right now, I like this guy.

https://www.instagram.com/stewsmith50/?hl=en

European business travel is definitely temptation island, you deserve a medal just for not smoking haha

This is what kills me...

https://hum3d.com/3d-models/red-bull-can/
fadskier
GolemIII said:

Ashley Hodge said:

GolemIII said:

Wine is extremely inexpensive where I live. You can get a decent Spanish Tempranillo for under 5 euros. It's crazy. So that makes it pretty easy to polish off three bottles in an evening (between 2 people). Beer and whiskey are things I do w business associates and we really drink when out.

All that said, it's unusual to drink only one. Unless you mean bottle. Could I have only one? Sure. But why? The effect of alcohol wouldn't even begin to show. If it's only one drink, I'll usually pick something without calories.

I'm kind of an all or nothing personality. If I do something (drinking or losing weight) I do it 110%. Moderation lacks commitment.
Yep..that's me. If I drink one, I'm drinking four.
fadskier
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

GolemIII said:

Numbers don't lie. That's impressive.

This is an interesting discussion and having traveled around Europe for long stretches I can empathize with the challenges you face. As if I needed an incentive, one of my work colleagues lined up a few brewery tours in Germany and Belgium. Inebriation wasn't the problem, it was that I consumed a slow, steady quantity of alcohol for days on end. I like the taste of 'good' beer, but my body was starting to revolt and I had an issue that helped me wise up. The pounds certainly would have kept me off a Calvin Klein billboard ad, haha

In Australia, I spent the work week racking up hours and then playing hard physically(running, sports, hiking) and my limited fluid intake was of course, beer. While I was pouring sweat, I felt lightheaded, sort of uncomfortable and felt like I was losing blood. turns out I tore something and was bleeding internally. That took a brutal surgery back in the states to fix. And it sucked to high heaven. Point being, one of the biggest threats of steady alcohol consumption is dehydration. My lesson was the result of a simple error and was painful to correct.

The positive of Europe for me was that I walked a crazy amount. Rarely was I behind the wheel of a car and the weather was such that it wasn't Texas hot and I could go for a walk anytime. So I started carrying shorts, a shirt and running shoes in my bag and I'd make it a point to go for a quick 2-3 mile run as soon as work ended just to get a sweat going. As little as 30 minutes, not longer than an hour and 15 mins. Point being: The window of time between the end of the work period at 5 and dinner is a golden opportunity to kill a couple of habits. Do a quick run and it will a) suppress your appetite b) kill the desire to turn the anxiety of a workday into alcohol consumption. It doesn't have to be running, there are a long list of things you can do, just get the heart rate going. The key is you feel anxious and the need to have a release when you leave the office. It's really easy to grab a drink, but the costs to that are the problem. Substituting exercise is a good way to dupe your body and give yourself the same release.

Now that I'm off the road, I'm eating steak for breakfast and going for a 500 meter swim early, then something else after work. It's kicking my ass, but it's effective as hell in burning fat. Following a few good trainers who understand the challenges of being over 40 is a big plus. Right now, I like this guy.

https://www.instagram.com/stewsmith50/?hl=en

European business travel is definitely temptation island, you deserve a medal just for not smoking haha

This is what kills me...

https://hum3d.com/3d-models/red-bull-can/

Try Monster Ultra...zero sugar, zero calories
RegentCoverup
I seek out green tea.

And by seek out, I mean drink it like water.

There is also a product called Yerba Mate. That's my preferred hit these days.
fadskier
Something tells me Golem is jacked. I used to be...freaking aging!
Golem
Update: Decided to see if I could just finish out the year w no booze. Not super easy waving off drinks at business dinners and happy hours, but I'm 98 days in now....no weight gain, despite relaxing the diet, and no 12 step group required...CONFIRMED: Not a drunk...yet.

I've felt pretty great over the last three months. No hangovers and no rapid weight changes. Turns out booze really is 'Fat Juice'. Dammit!!!!! Anyway, regarding teetotalling for a while, it's doable even in a drinking culture if you were curious.

I'll be celebrating on New Years with something deeply alcoholic.
NoBSU
I did not change diet, did not stop booze (but I rarely drink anyway), and kept the same exercise schedule (walking, bike, swimming 4 times a week). The result I'd down 20 pounds since July. I eat only between 11am to 7 pm.

I may change diet and increase intensity of workout and stay with it the rest of the year.
4th and Inches
Gruvin said:

Keyser Soze said:

My real demon - only about one or two a month now, but the habit was very bad once
been soda free since Jan 1 2018.

I could go alcohol free for a month but it's not really a sacrifice for me because I go months at a time without alcohol anyway. Soda has been much more of a challenge. Still have the urge every time I go to a restaurant or convenience store.
just throwing out an update that I am still on the no soda bandwagon...

Congrats on all your success Golem and NoBSU!
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I seek out green tea.

And by seek out, I mean drink it like water.

There is also a product called Yerba Mate. That's my preferred hit these days.
Green tea? YUCHHHHH!!!!! I think I would much rather lick the underside of my lawnmower.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
NoBSU
I drink a lot of green tea. I have not had a real coke since May. I limit my diet drinks to two a week.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.