Breaking Bad article - behind the scenes of third-to-last episode

4,096 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
hustlenflow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure why this is just being published now, but it's gripping if you are a fan of BB.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/8/1/17631420/breaking-bad-ozymandias-vince-gilligan-bryan-cranston-rian-johnson-aaron-paul
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Thanks for posting. I have watched the entire series twice.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Anna Gunn declined interview? That is her career.
AustinCory
I went on a family road trip to the Grand Canyon over Thanksgiving, and as we passed Albuquerque and saw the red-rock covered To'hajiilee exit on I-40 West, these 2 episodes came rushing back.
AustinCory
Quote:

Johnson presided over arguably the most viscerally upsetting moment of the series: Walt telling Jesse Pinkman, whom he'd just given up to the Nazis, that he chose not to intervene as he watched his mentee's former girlfriend Jane choke and die after an overdose.

Walt never fully admits to what happened though. For had Walt not been there, Jane wouldn't have died. Walt's action of putting Jane on her back led to her death.
CSIBear
Great article. Todd killing Jesse's girl in front of him is another one that gets me every time.
NoBSU
CSIBear said:

Great article. Todd killing Jesse's girl in front of him is another one that gets me every time.
Killing the boy on the bike was bad also.
NoBSU
Brian Ethridge said:

Anna Gunn declined interview? That is her career.
I just find her cold. Perfect casting for this and Deadwood. Only two things that I remember her roles. Is it her personality or is she just that talented? Maybe if she went back dark with her hair she could show some amount of warmth.
RegentCoverup
Todd was a Mart Panther by the way. Good dude. Saw him in the airport and he was real cool.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
NoBSU
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Todd was a Mart Panther by the way. Good dude. Saw him in the airport and he was real cool.
I read once that he has the best actual football players on Friday Night Lights and his character wasn't even on the team his first season.
deemus
CSIBear said:

Which is why Jesse killing Todd is one of my favorite scenes.

bubbadog
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Thanks for posting. I have watched the entire series twice.
Before Breaking Bad, I would have voted The Sopranos or The Wire as the best TV series of all time. Now they're both playing for 2nd. The arc of the story remained true to the original premise of showing how Mr. Chips became Scarface, and the series never got anywhere near jumping the shark.
NoBSU
I am wondering if binge - watching has changed how I rank things.

After years of reading about The Wire on message boards, I decided to binge watch the entire series in two weeks. I found it good but not great as a whole. Parts were great, but the Longshoreman part was really dragging. The final outcome of the last season group if kids was pretty predictable. I think that awaiting each weekly show and each season would have improved my overall view.

I dropped off from Breaking Bad the final three seasons and binge watched them. They held up better for binge watching I think. I binge watched the last three of the Sopranos as well. Not as good as Breaking Bad but better than The Wire. I thought the Sopranos ending was the worst.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
NoBSU said:

After years of reading about The Wire on message boards, I decided to binge watch the entire series in two weeks. I found it good but not great as a whole. Parts were great, but the Longshoreman part was really dragging. The final outcome of the last season group if kids was pretty predictable. I think that awaiting each weekly show and each season would have improved my overall view.

I dropped off from Breaking Bad the final three seasons and binge watched them. They held up better for binge watching I think. I binge watched the last three of the Sopranos as well. Not as good as Breaking Bad but better than The Wire. I thought the Sopranos ending was the worst.
Longshoreman was a beating without binge watching. Take that out and The Wire matches up with anything.
bubbadog
NoBSU said:

I completely agree that the year with the longshoreman was the weak link in the series -- well bellow the rest. I also think that The Wire gets better upon reflection about the totality of the series: the fairly holistic way it depicts how a lot of these problems are interconnected; how City Hall politics affects policing, etc. The series gave you a much richer and truer portrait of the criminals in the drug trade than TV provided before. You meet people who are poorly educated but really smart. You see how people get drawn into that life because of the environment over which they have little control. You see how the police try to deal with that. And you meet some really well-drawn characters like Stringer Bell and the detective who makes dollhouse furniture.

I thought the Sopranos declined in its last couple of seasons but was still better than just about anything else at the time. It never quite matched its first couple of seasons, and that wasn't true of Breaking Bad, which maintained a consistently high level throughout. One of the things I thought was incredible was the way the series shows you how Walt and Jesse get in deeper and deeper, rather by accident, and how the consequences of their actions get more severe. Initially, some of the episodes are almost comical, as when they first go to Tuco (a superb character), offer to furnish him with product and wind up blowing up his office. Or the episode when Jesse gets held by the meth-heads who stole the ATM; he can see the consequences of what he does for a living in the lives of others, but the stakes haven't become personal yet. Part of the brilliance of the show, I think, is how the tragedy unspools in slow motion in the lives of these characters.
trey3216
bubbadog said:

NoBSU said:

I completely agree that the year with the longshoreman was the weak link in the series -- well bellow the rest. I also think that The Wire gets better upon reflection about the totality of the series: the fairly holistic way it depicts how a lot of these problems are interconnected; how City Hall politics affects policing, etc. The series gave you a much richer and truer portrait of the criminals in the drug trade than TV provided before. You meet people who are poorly educated but really smart. You see how people get drawn into that life because of the environment over which they have little control. You see how the police try to deal with that. And you meet some really well-drawn characters like Stringer Bell and the detective who makes dollhouse furniture.

I thought the Sopranos declined in its last couple of seasons but was still better than just about anything else at the time. It never quite matched its first couple of seasons, and that wasn't true of Breaking Bad, which maintained a consistently high level throughout. One of the things I thought was incredible was the way the series shows you how Walt and Jesse get in deeper and deeper, rather by accident, and how the consequences of their actions get more severe. Initially, some of the episodes are almost comical, as when they first go to Tuco (a superb character), offer to furnish him with product and wind up blowing up his office. Or the episode when Jesse gets held by the meth-heads who stole the ATM; he can see the consequences of what he does for a living in the lives of others, but the stakes haven't become personal yet. Part of the brilliance of the show, I think, is how the tragedy unspools in slow motion in the lives of these characters.
Yep. It definitely builds in a chaos theory-like manner. The Butterfly Effect, if you will, of each layered decision and how it compounds future outcomes. Turns Walter into a bonafide Greek Tragedy.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
bubbadog
trey3216 said:

bubbadog said:

NoBSU said:

Yep. It definitely builds in a chaos theory-like manner. The Butterfly Effect, if you will, of each layered decision and how it compounds future outcomes. Turns Walter into a bonafide Greek Tragedy.
Yes, the most dramatic butterfly effect episode was the one after Walt lets Jesse's girlfriend die and her grieving father makes a mistake in his job as an air traffic controller. Only the writers of Breaking Bad would have thought to add the touch of a tiny piece of debris falling into Walt's pool.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
bubbadog said:

trey3216 said:

bubbadog said:

NoBSU said:

Yes, the most dramatic butterfly effect episode was the one after Walt lets Jesse's girlfriend die and her grieving father makes a mistake in his job as an air traffic controller. Only the writers of Breaking Bad would have thought to add the touch of a tiny piece of debris falling into Walt's pool.
It was an entire teddy bear and an eye from it.
AustinCory
Brian Ethridge said:

bubbadog said:

trey3216 said:

bubbadog said:

NoBSU said:

I loved how BB often gave you a snippet at the beginning of an episode, and no matter how much you tried to keep track of it, by the time you got to the end of the episode you had forgotten about it, and BAMM!, there is the end of the episode, tying in with the snippet you had just forgotten about.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ValpoCory said:

Brian Ethridge said:

bubbadog said:

trey3216 said:

bubbadog said:

NoBSU said:

I loved how BB often gave you a snippet at the beginning of an episode, and no matter how much you tried to keep track of it, by the time you got to the end of the episode you had forgotten about it, and BAMM!, there is the end of the episode, tying in with the snippet you had just forgotten about.
The spider in the jar, the lilly of the valley, etc.
deemus
bubbadog said:

trey3216 said:

It was interesting that Walt had constant reminders of how screwed up he had become, and the price of his doings was revealed to him in almost every episode.
Keyser Soze
I like them all.

All are great series. The Wire will never be up there in pop culture wise with BB or Sopranos, but it had the greater impact on me. I am a big believer in you are responsible for you and still am for the most part, but The Wire sure gave a good and gritty picture of the other side of America. So many of those project kids have a hard life that is mapped out for them at an early age - most of them are not elevating themselves above the poor circumstances of their birth - very sad.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Keyser Soze said:

I like them all.

All are great series. The Wire will never be up there in pop culture wise with BB or Sopranos, but it had the greater impact on me. I am a big believer in you are responsible for you and still am for the most part, but The Wire sure gave a good and gritty picture of the other side of America. So many of those project kids have a hard life that is mapped out for them at an early age - most of them are not elevating themselves above the poor circumstances of their birth - very sad.
How's my hair look?

Good Snoop.

Bullet
Keyser Soze
NoBSU
Good scene. My other favorite Snoop scene was buying the nail gun. He said Cadillac of nail guns. He meant Lexus ...

A had the clip to post but the language is appropriate for the show but not for here.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Keyser Soze said:

Yep, he was smarter than them and wanted out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.