* * "Louann's - Chapter One" Texas First Superclub

2,836 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
thought some of you might enjoy an article I just finished on the history of Texas first superclub. 3,600 seats on a 5 acre plot.

Three decades of music from Harry James and Ray Anlthony - to Bo Diddley, Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart and Jimmy Vaughn

https://memoriesofdallas.org/louanns1/
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Stranger
Assassin said:

thought some of you might enjoy an article I just finished on the history of Texas first superclub. 3,600 seats on a 5 acre plot.

Three decades of music from Harry James and Ray Anlthony - to Bo Diddley, Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart and Jimmy Vaughn

And Jimmy Reed puking on stage and hardly missing a beat
I'm a Bearbacker
Assassin
Stranger said:

Assassin said:

Three decades of music from Harry James and Ray Anthony - to Bo Diddley, Jeff Beck, Rod Stewart and Jimmy Vaughn

And Jimmy Reed puking on stage and hardly missing a beat
I've got at least one more part although it's probably twice that size. A couple of names in it most folk will know
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Pre 1950 bands at Louann's: Gene Krupa, Erskine Hawkins, Johnny Long, Claude Thornill, Skitch Henderson, Tommy Dorsey, Vaughn Moore, Woody Herman's Woodchoppers, Woody Herman Band, Eliott Lawrence, Ray Anthony, Stan Kenton and Orrin Tucker

Twenty more years after that too!
Stranger
Assassin said:

Pre 1950 bands at Louann's: Gene Krupa, Erskine Hawkins, Johnny Long, Claude Thornill, Skitch Henderson, Tommy Dorsey, Vaughn Moore, Woody Herman's Woodchoppers, Woody Herman Band, Eliott Lawrence, Ray Anthony, Stan Kenton and Orrin Tucker

Can you give us a link to part two? Great stuff!
I'm a Bearbacker
Assassin
Stranger said:

Assassin said:

Can you give us a link to part two? Great stuff!
Writing it now. Interviewing Larry Lavine today who bought the place in late 69 - later better known as the founder of Chili's
Assassin
There was so much info showing up after Part 1, I decided to make it a three parter:

Part 2 - Texas first Superclub, a little piece I put together for our Facebook and webpage and https://memoriesofdallas.org/louanns2/

Assassin
Here is Part 3 https://memoriesofdallas.org/louanns3/

I interviewed Mike Nesmith from the Monkees also buy it turned out to be about an hour long. So I am tweaking it as a standalone article

lrwells50
Thanks for posting - I graduated from Garland High in 1968, but I never heard of Louann's. I do remember the empty field where they built Northpark.
Stranger
I passed all three chapters on to a buddy who has picked guitars all over Dallas. He actually had his shoes vomited on by Jimmy Reed at Louann's. That's what he got for sitting on the front row in front of Jimmy and Mama Reed. I told my friend he should be honored. He said Jimmy didn't even skip a beat.
Assassin
lrwells50 said:

Thanks for posting - I graduated from Garland High in 1968, but I never heard of Louann's. I do remember the empty field where they built Northpark.
This was at Lovers and Greenville.

Robert Caruth is one of the members of my History page. Definately gonna chat with him about his familiies farm
Assassin
BTW - there is gonna be one more, totally unexpected part. Chelle Bovis Banks sent me a ton of stuff.

She is the daughter of Ann and Lou, sent me probably 20 photos no one has ever seen
Wichitabear
Assassin
This has been a long journey starting nearly a year ago, the history of the first superclub, bands came from all across the nation to Texas to play here, from Lawrence Welk to Bo Diddley to Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart, the final installment of our Louann's series comes from Chelle Bovis Banks, the only daughter of Lou and Ann Bovis.. https://memoriesofdallas.org/louanns4/
Assassin
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.