greatest singer currently walking the earth

9,433 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
curtpenn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mr Tulip said:

Euell Porter directed my small Methodist church's choir here for a number of years. My wife still has the personalized copy (Alto) of Handel's "The Messiah" he gave her.

I was recruited for lower strings at Baylor coming out of high school. I thought, "C'mon! A music degree isn't employable. I'll pay my own way to Texas and be an engineer instead!"

Uh, about that....
I no longer recall the details, but Dr Porter's wife was severely injured in an accident very early in their married life. She was confined to a wheel chair and clearly suffered some sort of cognitive damage.They were never able to have children. I learned all I needed to know about faith and the Christian walk just watching him interact with her. Just an incredible life lesson and example of real and abiding love. Dr Porter was one of the finest men I've ever known.
Wichitabear
I have always heard that
fubar
I don't even know his name, but this guy:

quash
Elina Garanca. Pick em: Carmen or when she has the lead in the Flower Diet with Anna Netrebko.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
historian
quash said:

Elina Garanca. Pick em: Carmen or when she has the lead in the Flower Diet with Anna Netrebko.
Do you mean the Flower Song from Carmen or the Flower Duet from Delibes' Lakme? The latter is for two women.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
quash
historian said:

quash said:

Do you mean the Flower Song from Carmen or the Flower Duet from Delibes' Lakme? The latter is for two women.
Carmen. Or the Flower Duet with Netrebko, but only when Garanca has the lead, which is the common pairing. I know it's for two women, didn't day otherwise.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
historian
Thanks for the clarification.

I can see why you like her. This is exquisite. I had always relied on a 50+ years old recording by Joan Sutherland.
Keyser Soze

Back to the stage. The original Phantom of the Opera Michael Crawford.

Wichitabear
I can appreciate their talent, definitely. This is just not someone I would enjoy listening to on a daily basis. Yes, they definitely have the vocals. I can listen to classical music and in fact , I play it on low in my classroom until break time, then I bust out my favorite musical or a Little Rock n Roll Lolol
Wichitabear
This, I love!!!
drahthaar
curtpenn said:

Mr Tulip said:

Euell Porter directed my small Methodist church's choir here for a number of years. My wife still has the personalized copy (Alto) of Handel's "The Messiah" he gave her.

I was recruited for lower strings at Baylor coming out of high school. I thought, "C'mon! A music degree isn't employable. I'll pay my own way to Texas and be an engineer instead!"

Uh, about that....
I no longer recall the details, but Dr Porter's wife was severely injured in an accident very early in their married life. She was confined to a wheel chair and clearly suffered some sort of cognitive damage.They were never able to have children. I learned all I needed to know about faith and the Christian walk just watching him interact with her. Just an incredible life lesson and example of real and abiding love. Dr Porter was one of the finest men I've ever known.

Good on us for the Euell Porter observations. If you have to derail a thread, he's the best reason.

Here's the story on His wife:

In 1940, she had a stroke during childbirth. The son died but Christine survived, and Euell cared for his wheelchair bound love the rest of her life. She did recognize folks while I knew her and travelled on choir trips while she could. My freshman year, she remained at home and suffered some setback. The Kansas Hwy patrol flagged down the bus and took Dr. Porter to the airport to fly him home. We turned the bus around between Wichita and Tulsa and drove straight back to Waco. Christine never was able to travel on tours after that setback.

A Capella choir was singing in Navasota one Sunday. We all travelled in cars. Euell stopped me after Friday rehearsal and asked if he could ride with me. Never forget that trip. We were going thru Bryan-CS when he got really quiet; his mind obviously occupied. He turned to me and said "Today is the day my son was born so long ago. Christine had a stroke and I lost them both." The rest of the trip was in silence. The concert restored the life and fire, though.

Euell probably had the greatest impact on my life as a man after my Dad. Tremendous man.
historian
I just thought of another singer of a different genre who is very talented, Diana Krall:

Wichitabear
Ok, I'm tearing up. Thank you for sharing.
Wichitabear
Ok!!! I can get into this. Love it. I don't want look at Michelle Obama. Lol
curtpenn
witchmo said:

Euell probably had the greatest impact on my life as a man after my Dad. Tremendous man.
I've thought that exact thing many times over the decades. Yeah, there's something in my eyes...

Thanks for the memory jog. Mrs. Porter was actually still able to accompany us on several of our trips in the mid-'70s. I'll never forget the love in his eyes as he dealt with her. Incredible example.
historian
I also like Michael Bubl:

Video is a bit goofy, but the song is great.

Wichitabear
I love him too! He has sung with Streisand and they are really good. "It Had To Be You"
quash
historian said:

Thanks for the clarification.

I can see why you like her. This is exquisite. I had always relied on a 50+ years old recording by Joan Sutherland.

If you can find the Deutsch Gramophone video of a rehearsal that is my favorite of the 3 I've seen.
Wichitabear
Trumpet Competition took 1st place in nationals. I think this was held in Kentucky. Awesome, uh
fadskier
ScottS said:

On the ticket, Dallas 1310AM they said it had to be Paul McCartney. Agree or disagree? McCartney is in town for a Friday concert.
No. Beatles are awful.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
SSadler
Colm Wilkinson as the Phantom

or

Colm Wilkinson as Jean Valjean

Either way, Wilkinson for the win!

Forest Bueller

She is mighty good.
Wichitabear
Gaga is good.
historian
Kinda hard to take her seriously when she wears meat clothing, though.

Unless you hate show tunes, however, this is wonderful:

Wichitabear
Gaga, yes wonderful. I also like the shows that she has done with Tony Bennett. I don't always appreciate her lifestyle. Lol. I am listening to the Charlie Daniels band on Fox right now. He probably makes your toes curl Historian. Lololol
historian
LOL

It's not what I usually listen to, but he has at least one song I like:

It's probably the fiddling!

However, give me a Beethoven, Tchakikovsky, Brahms, or Mendelssohn concerto any day if it's performed well.
Wichitabear
"Drinking My Baby Good-Bye". I don't drink but I love this song by Charlie
Fat Daddy
How about Rita Coolidge doing a Van Morrison cover-

Stranger
Fat Daddy said:

How about Rita Coolidge doing a Van Morrison cover-

How about, just . . . Van Morrison?

Booray
The McCartney concert was awesome, BTW
midgett
If he hadn't died, he had the voice!

Stranger
Maybe this doesn't count cause she can't sing anymore. One of the greatest performances ever by one of the greatest voices

Wichitabear
We'll count it. I loved her.
Gunny Hartman
Witchmo, thanks for sharing your fond memories of your favorite Baylor Prof. Very touching.
"Those who stay will be champions"

--William Barret Travis
Gunny Hartman
Let's put an edge on this interesting thread. Greatest rock vocalist of all time? I'd probably have to go with Robert Plant, though unfortunately at present his voice is nothing like it once was, but he's still alive so he qualifies.

Though likely not in the running for the greatest living rock vocalist, my personal favorite is Chris Robinson, formerly of the Black Crowes, because that's my favorite band, but unfortunately Chris broke them up because he's an egotistical pothead a-hole. But hot damn can he sing.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.