greatest singer currently walking the earth

9,409 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quash
Mr Tulip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I'm allowed to claim Freddy Mercury as a rock vocalist, this topic won't go very far.
Plant's fantastic, but not irreplaceable. As much as I venerate Led Zep, they largely ripped off a bunch of old black men.

I love the Crowes! I got to see them at La Zona Rosa in Austin. A sound guy I knew told me that day that he couldn't divulge who would be playing, but only that I'd really want to be on hand around 7pm. Only 200 people in that club that night! They were warming up to support "Three Snakes". The set was mostly "Money Maker" and "Southern Fried" though.
curtpenn
Gunny Hartman said:

Let's put an edge on this interesting thread. Greatest rock vocalist of all time? I'd probably have to go with Robert Plant, though unfortunately at present his voice is nothing like it once was, but he's still alive so he qualifies.

Though likely not in the running for the greatest living rock vocalist, my personal favorite is Chris Robinson, formerly of the Black Crowes, because that's my favorite band, but unfortunately Chris broke them up because he's an egotistical pothead a-hole. But hot damn can he sing.

I'm thinking Ian Gillan for greatest rock vocalist. Ann Wilson for the ladies.
Stranger
Mr Tulip said:

If I'm allowed to claim Freddy Mercury as a rock vocalist, this topic won't go very far.
Plant's fantastic, but not irreplaceable. As much as I venerate Led Zep, they largely ripped off a bunch of old black men.

I love the Crowes! I got to see them at La Zona Rosa in Austin. A sound guy I knew told me that day that he couldn't divulge who would be playing, but only that I'd really want to be on hand around 7pm. Only 200 people in that club that night! They were warming up to support "Three Snakes". The set was mostly "Money Maker" and "Southern Fried" though.

I think Freddy Mercury is still dead so he doesn't count.

If somebody backs up Three Snakes and only 200 people show up I don't think they merit much attention either.
Stranger
curtpenn said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Let's put an edge on this interesting thread. Greatest rock vocalist of all time? I'd probably have to go with Robert Plant, though unfortunately at present his voice is nothing like it once was, but he's still alive so he qualifies.

Though likely not in the running for the greatest living rock vocalist, my personal favorite is Chris Robinson, formerly of the Black Crowes, because that's my favorite band, but unfortunately Chris broke them up because he's an egotistical pothead a-hole. But hot damn can he sing.

Ann Wilson couldn't carry Linda Ronstadt's jock.
curtpenn
Stranger said:

curtpenn said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Ann Wilson couldn't carry Linda Ronstadt's jock

Linda will always be number one in my heart. If I was forced to only listen to one artist for the rest of my life, it would be be Linda. That said, when thinking of edgier more rock focused, I think of Ann Wilson and Janis Joplin. Love Janis, too, in all of her tortured brilliance.
fubar
Stranger said:

Mr Tulip said:

I think Freddy Mercury is still dead so he doesn't count.
Freddie lives!

drahthaar
curtpenn said:

Stranger said:

curtpenn said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Ann Wilson couldn't carry Linda Ronstadt's jock

Linda will always be number one in my heart. If I was forced to only listen to one artist for the rest of my life, it would be be Linda. That said, when thinking of edgier more rock focused, I think of Ann Wilson and Janis Joplin. Love Janis, too, in all of her tortured brilliance.

Makes me distinguish between a singer and a performer; quality of voice or impact of message. No one was better than Ronstadt in the former, though I still hang with Kathryn Jenkins. Google her and the theme from Band of Brothers at Victoria and Albert Hall.
historian
witchmo said:

Makes me distinguish between a singer and a performer; quality of voice or impact of message. No one was better than Ronstadt in the former, though I still hang with Kathryn Jenkins. Google her and the theme from Band of Brothers at Victoria and Albert Hall.
Keyser Soze

How about this: Who is on your Mt Rushmore of living performer / singers

I get McCartney & Willie and a lot of ties for 3 & 4

Wichitabear
She has a beautiful voice.
Aliceinbubbleland
fadskier said:

ScottS said:

On the ticket, Dallas 1310AM they said it had to be Paul McCartney. Agree or disagree? McCartney is in town for a Friday concert.
No. Beatles are awful.
BAN BAN BAN
Aliceinbubbleland
ScottS said:

On the ticket, Dallas 1310AM they said it had to be Paul McCartney. Agree or disagree? McCartney is in town for a Friday concert.
Carrie Underwood or Bruce Springsteen get my vote since Elvis is dead.
Stranger
Keyser Soze said:

Elvis
Van Morrison
Keyser Soze
Living list ..... unless of course you are one of those Elvis truthers
Mr Tulip
Keyser Soze said:

Steve Vai, Bonnie Raitt, Elton John, Mike Portnoy
quash
Gayle McCormick
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.