Where should I buy my new home in DFW area?

5,923 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Longstreet
Longstreet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was looking at Prosper or Frisco. Anyone have any suggestions? Assume I will spend 500-600k.

Should I look in a different neighborhood. I have no kids at home
SMack
Don't overlook Pleasant Grove.
BU79
Those are two very hot areas so you will pay up per square foot
However lots to do in the area and great area to live
With the growth up there and school buildings going up I assume property taxes are high but don't know

Does traffic or close to work concern you
What do you do when u aren't working
Mitch Blood Green
Longstreet said:

I was looking at Prosper or Frisco. Anyone have any suggestions? Assume I will spend 500-600k.

Frisco at $600K is good value. Depending on where you're working, (I assume you'd prefer the suburbs), I'd also look Southlake.
Mitch Blood Green
SMack said:

The Grove.
No Longer Gold
Frisco and prosper are not in, near, or anything like Dallas.

If you move there, please don't tell people you are from Dallas, tell them you are from frisco, prosper, plano, McKinney, Allen whatever.

It's like going to UT-Arlington and telling people you go to UT.
fadskier
Longstreet said:

Obviously, I chose the wrong career.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
fadskier
DubDub said:

If you move there, please don't tell people you are from Dallas, tell them you are from frisco, prosper, plano, McKinney, Allen whatever.

Frisco, Prosper, Plano, McKinney, Allen > Dallas....Dallas has become ghetto, IMO
william
tommie said:

SMack said:

The Grove.
china? ie the sleepy little town down around san antone?

PA.

- UL

... and, as always, TIA.

BID.
Fetterman2024
Longstreet
What about the Mansfield area?
fadskier
Southlake? Colleyville? Providence Village? Savannah?
SMack
william said:

tommie said:

SMack said:

The Grove.
china? ie the sleepy little town down around san antone?

PA.

- UL

... and, as always, TIA.

BID.
I wonder what kind of food they eat in China Grove. I wonder about such things.

If you don't like Pleasant Grove, you should look at Balch Springs. Nice area, and you don't have to live around those snooty Seagoville people.

Don't even get me started about those uppity Mesquite people.
Booray
Longstreet said:

You could get a studio condo in the Park Cities
RegentCoverup
Frisco = Baja Oklahoma

Might as well camp on at Texoma if you're going that route.
Mitch Blood Green
DubDub said:

That's what we say in Chicago.
Mike Cassell
Longstreet said:

Longstreet,

Dallas has a ton of great places to live. If you are not already connected with a Realtor, myself and Malbear AKA Donald Wright have a Real Estate group in Dallas and would love to help you find a great place to live.

We help sell all over the metroplex and have been fortunate enough to work with alot of the members of the board over the last decade plus.

Feel free to reach out via my cell 214-507-9629 or email me at mike@wrighthousegroup.com about anything real estate related.
Keyser Soze

Where you work should be a big player here. Frisco to Downtown Dallas as a commute would be a beating I could never endure.

muddybrazos
I don't live in Dallas anymore and probably never will again but if i did it would probably be North Dallas off Hillcrest north of 635. I grew up around there and my folks are still up there.
Longstreet
Keyser Soze said:

Where you work should be a big player here. Frisco to Downtown Dallas as a commute would be a beating I could never endure.

Commute is not an issue.
Longstreet
Mike Cassell said:

Longstreet said:

Longstreet,

Dallas has a ton of great places to live. If you are not already connected with a Realtor, myself and Malbear AKA Donald Wright have a Real Estate group in Dallas and would love to help you find a great place to live.

We help sell all over the metroplex and have been fortunate enough to work with alot of the members of the board over the last decade plus.

Feel free to reach out via my cell 214-507-9629 or email me at mike@wrighthousegroup.com about anything real estate related.
Hey, thanks I might take you up on this!
Keyser Soze
Longstreet said:

Keyser Soze said:

Commute is not an issue.
That said, Frisco is very nice. You also have some music events at the soccer stadium and Star.

I am in the City, if Ms Soze and I ever moved out there I would consider just a little father out and live on an acre or two on the outskirts for Frisco / Prosper.

Doc Holliday
Windsong Ranch
syme
Longstreet said:

Keyser Soze said:

Commute is not an issue.

Then I'd go north of 380 for some breathing room. Celina, Gunter, Aubrey.. smaller but not total hillbilly towns.
quash
syme said:

Longstreet said:

Keyser Soze said:

Commute is not an issue.

Then I'd go north of 380 for some breathing room. Celina, Gunter, Aubrey.. smaller but not total hillbilly towns.
Good advice. I'd add look at the main roads leading in: are they still two lane? If so you'll have traffic issues even out there, especially when somebody want to turn left.

But you'll be in North Texas, not Dallas.
jdub_316
Best place to live in the USA by Money Magazine - Frisco, TX

Something for your to consider. Yes, I live in Frisco, and I tell people all over the US I live in Frisco - a suburb of Dallas - and they have heard of it. As its the world HQ for the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars and FC Dallas - plus a ton of other great things. Frisco is a "can do" city. Where Dallas is a "can't do" city. There's a reason the Rangers and Cowboy's stadiums are in Arlington. Dallas can't get stuff right.
Doc Holliday
jdub_316 said:

Something for your to consider. Yes, I live in Frisco, and I tell people all over the US I live in Frisco - a suburb of Dallas - and they have heard of it. As its the world HQ for the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars and FC Dallas - plus a ton of other great things. Frisco is a "can do" city. Where Dallas is a "can't do" city. There's a reason the Rangers and Cowboy's stadiums are in Arlington. Dallas can't get stuff right.
Yep. They're also building the World PGA HQ with 2 massive courses, one which they will host the Ryder Cup.
jdub_316
Doc Holliday said:

jdub_316 said:

Yep. They're also building the World PGA HQ with 2 massive courses, one which they will host the Ryder Cup.
And to host the PGA major as well.
Pecos 45
Not Plano.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
fadskier
Pecos 45 said:

Not Plano.
What's wrong with Plano?
Doc Holliday
fadskier said:

Pecos 45 said:

Not Plano.
What's wrong with Plano?
North and West Plano is nice.

South Plano is one giant disgusting strip mall.
fadskier
Doc Holliday said:

fadskier said:

Pecos 45 said:

Not Plano.
What's wrong with Plano?
North and West Plano is nice.

South Plano is one giant disgusting strip mall.
I was in Plano Friday night, but just went to a football game...didn't get to see much.
CastleBear
Frisco is great unless you have to work downtown. You can get a lot more for your money in Frisco/Prosper than you will in Dallas.
quash
fadskier said:

Pecos 45 said:

Not Plano.
What's wrong with Plano?
Generica.
Redbrickbear
quash said:

fadskier said:

Pecos 45 said:

Not Plano.
What's wrong with Plano?
Generica.
Just like the Houston burbs.......truly a soulless hell scape of corporate American hive mind design.
Keyser Soze

Wow can some of paint with a really broad brush.

Plano is huge, based on population (around 300K) it is the 9th largest city in Texas. The original Plano was a small town prior to 40 years of burb growth.

Full disclosure - I'm in Dallas. I am definitely more an urban in the City guy, but there are trade offs. In the City usually means you are not far off from somewhere that is not safe at night.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.