Our endowment woes. Failing to grow much?

7,569 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by william
RegentCoverup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
57Bear said:

Willis made the lead gift for the Willis Equestrian Center - announced by BU in 2006:
https://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/news.php?action=story&story=38544

The lead gift on a horse barn? What are we talking $500k?

He got to lead the board for FOUR years and only gave that much?

Jeez.
57Bear
Neal T.(Buddy) Jones contributed the long living term: Perverted Little Tarts
RegentCoverup
57Bear said:

Neal T.(Buddy) Jones contributed the long living term: Perverted Little Tarts

Keyser Soze
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Redbrickbear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

WILLIS said:

Where do y'all keep getting this $1.2 number... End of 2018, it was 1.31... Probably close to $1.5 if it kept pace with the market.. There is so much bad information on this thread.

https://www.baylor.edu/investments/index.php?id=928665#endowment_size

Please, feel free to correct my numbers. https://www.utdallas.edu/development/endowments/endowment-update-fiscal-2018/

The UT Dallas endowment is $558 million. It was previously $250 million in 2012. At that rate of growth, they will catch Baylor in approximately 21 years. Baylor is 175 years old, UT-Dallas is ....50 years old.
Bottom line, they have a tremendous growth rate, largely due to successful inflows of capital.

Of course, they aren't saddled with 39 Regents that give nothing to their endowment, so I guess you could say they have an advantage.
This is a big issue.

If you are gonna sit on the board of Regents and cost Baylor money every time you horribly mismanage a scandal....you should at least be forking over big bucks for our endowment.
Yep, some of those Regents, by virtue of ignorance and lack of vision, actually subtract value from Baylor. We just took the hit on a liability that was completely preventable, and now they've gone back to their bunker mentality. What's the point?

Whether we have 12 regents, 39 regents, 120 regents, I don't care, but at the very LEAST, require the regents to give money to Baylor.

I thought many of past problems were that many regents were picked based on giving.

Baylor's big money donors, have for the most part been excellent. Few are better than:

• Paul Foster
  • Mark Hurd
  • Drayton
  • Jim Turner.

Now, part of my reasoning is that some of these fine donors, bring 'other' board experience. So we aren't just getting sources of funds, but people with signifcant board leadership experience.
if we got someone with a net worth north of $500 mil, they could very well be a problem, but that's never happened. We're getting the opposite, we're getting people that haven't donated, but demand control with no accountability. Remember, we have yet to see any regents that were sanctioned as a result of the football scandal. It's like a cocktail party with drunk people holding shotguns.

It's possible, because of privacy, that there are some that have given but we simply don't know.
How long was Dary Stone a regent? what were the donation track records of:
-Dary Stone
-Richard Willis
-Neal T.(Buddy) Jones.

I can find no record of a significant donation...
Sanctioned? Like what ..... I'm sure there are few that won't be invited back,

Keyser Soze
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

How much has Baylor spent on new buildings.

B School
Law School
McClane Stadium
Nutrition Center
Dorms

1 Billion ?

Don't know all the details but bet few have huge campus expansion and huge endowment increase at the same time.

Incorrect, in some cases, these universities have spent MORE than Baylor. TCU has funded both a basketball arena and football stadium in more or less the same time.

Also, much of the spend in Baylor's case(the stadium and science bldg) was funded by debt increases. Meaning the balance sheet position was offset by increases in liability. So the net balance sheet position improved only marginally. The assets increased, but so did the debt.

Everyone wants their name on a building, the tough part is paying for the unspectacular costs, like maintenance, repairs, renovations, furniture, infrastructure.

Endowment numbers are skewed a bit too, we'd love to adjust that to a per-student basis, but with 16k students, that's another reason the endowment needs to increase.

Anyone know if that debt for building was low interest bonds funded by the endowment? That could explain a low rate of return.

RegentCoverup
Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Redbrickbear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

WILLIS said:

Where do y'all keep getting this $1.2 number... End of 2018, it was 1.31... Probably close to $1.5 if it kept pace with the market.. There is so much bad information on this thread.

Please, feel free to correct my numbers. https://www.utdallas.edu/development/endowments/endowment-update-fiscal-2018/

The UT Dallas endowment is $558 million. It was previously $250 million in 2012. At that rate of growth, they will catch Baylor in approximately 21 years. Baylor is 175 years old, UT-Dallas is ....50 years old.
Bottom line, they have a tremendous growth rate, largely due to successful inflows of capital.

Of course, they aren't saddled with 39 Regents that give nothing to their endowment, so I guess you could say they have an advantage.
This is a big issue.

If you are gonna sit on the board of Regents and cost Baylor money every time you horribly mismanage a scandal....you should at least be forking over big bucks for our endowment.
Yep, some of those Regents, by virtue of ignorance and lack of vision, actually subtract value from Baylor. We just took the hit on a liability that was completely preventable, and now they've gone back to their bunker mentality. What's the point?

Whether we have 12 regents, 39 regents, 120 regents, I don't care, but at the very LEAST, require the regents to give money to Baylor.

I thought many of past problems were that many regents were picked based on giving.

Baylor's big money donors, have for the most part been excellent. Few are better than:

• Paul Foster
  • Mark Hurd
  • Drayton
  • Jim Turner.

Now, part of my reasoning is that some of these fine donors, bring 'other' board experience. So we aren't just getting sources of funds, but people with signifcant board leadership experience.
if we got someone with a net worth north of $500 mil, they could very well be a problem, but that's never happened. We're getting the opposite, we're getting people that haven't donated, but demand control with no accountability. Remember, we have yet to see any regents that were sanctioned as a result of the football scandal. It's like a cocktail party with drunk people holding shotguns.

It's possible, because of privacy, that there are some that have given but we simply don't know.
-Dary Stone
-Richard Willis
-Neal T.(Buddy) Jones.

You sure? There are a few on the board that are there because it was orchestrated by those that shall not be named...

That's something I'd want in writing...We buried Briles, why hold back on bad Regents? When did being a crook become sacrosanct?

57Bear
Law firm investigation clears former Baylor regent chair accused of sexist, racist slurs

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/local/law-firm-investigation-clears-former-baylor-regent-chair-accused-of/article_2fb81662-e251-5e26-a89f-af32abf2e2c9.html
Keyser Soze
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Redbrickbear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

WILLIS said:

This is a big issue.

• Paul Foster
  • Mark Hurd
  • Drayton
  • Jim Turner.

-Dary Stone
-Richard Willis
-Neal T.(Buddy) Jones.

You sure? There are a few on the board that are there because it was orchestrated by those that shall not be named...

That's something I'd want in writing...We buried Briles, why hold back on bad Regents? When did being a crook become sacrosanct?

Name em !!!
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Redbrickbear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

WILLIS said:

This is a big issue.

• Paul Foster
  • Mark Hurd
  • Drayton
  • Jim Turner.

-Dary Stone
-Richard Willis
-Neal T.(Buddy) Jones.

Name em !!!
Don't forget about the puppet master who was a bleeding heart liberal Democrat lobbyist from Austin. To get rid of Ken Starr, he decided to burn down the Baylor football program. I like to refer to him as the -$300 million dollar man. He ran off more donors and contributors than anyone in the history of Baylor. I am one of them.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
RegentCoverup
Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Redbrickbear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

WILLIS said:

This is a big issue.

• Paul Foster
  • Mark Hurd
  • Drayton
  • Jim Turner.

-Dary Stone
-Richard Willis
-Neal T.(Buddy) Jones.

Name em !!!
If you need me to name the 4 time chairman of the board, I don't know what to tell you..

Not many university boards give the responsibility to board members to go door to door firing people.
drahthaar
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Redbrickbear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

WILLIS said:

This is a big issue.

• Paul Foster
  • Mark Hurd
  • Drayton
  • Jim Turner.

-Dary Stone
-Richard Willis
-Neal T.(Buddy) Jones.

Name em !!!
If you need me to name the 4 time chairman of the board, I don't know what to tell you..

Not many university boards give the responsibility to board members to go door to door firing people.

In fact, no responsible, effective, well-led board allows anyone on that board to be involved in the daily operations of the organization. "Operations" is not in their job description and anything beyond setting policy, budgets/finances and hiring/firing the CEO or Prez, in this case, is an overreach that always undermines institutional integrity. That's been a problem at BU now since the early 2000's. Hopefully, new blood will restore integrity within the university.
Stranger
witchmo said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Redbrickbear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

WILLIS said:

This is a big issue.

• Paul Foster
  • Mark Hurd
  • Drayton
  • Jim Turner.

-Dary Stone
-Richard Willis
-Neal T.(Buddy) Jones.

Name em !!!

In fact, no responsible, effective, well-led board allows anyone on that board to be involved in the daily operations of the organization. "Operations" is not in their job description and anything beyond setting policy, budgets/finances and hiring/firing the CEO or Prez, in this case, is an overreach that always undermines institutional integrity. That's been a problem at BU now since the early 2000's. Hopefully, new blood will restore integrity within the university.

Baylor lost a very good president candidate because Willis actively tried to run her Provost office on a daily basis. He violated his duty as a BOR member and she said,"no thank you". She is now president of another Baptist university.
I'm a Bearbacker
RegentCoverup
If the board members are still going directly to personnel to micromanage their business and overstep their lines of authority, we will have another fraud in the near future.

That lack of reporting and authority, as specifically violated by Willis, is the root cause IMO of the scandals.

Btw, no one on the board had a problem with Willis micromanaging the person in question.

They were silent.

Keyser Soze
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

If the board members are still going directly to personnel to micromanage their business and overstep their lines of authority, we will have another fraud in the near future.

Serious - who are they and what are they doing? *

That lack of reporting and authority, as specifically violated by Willis, is the root cause IMO of the scandals.

Btw, no one on the board had a problem with Willis micromanaging the person in question.

They were silent.

* and not talking a recount of history - what's going on now?

drahthaar
Keyser Soze said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Serious - who are they and what are they doing? *

They were silent.

* and not talking a recount of history - what's going on now?

Might be a minor point here, but Tellme said "if"", not that they were "still". Don't know the poster but I'd guess he/she wrote correctly what was intended.

Current board is NOT the board from 2015-2017 or so and I'd guess we'll see what shakes out. It's wise for them to take a low profile approach right now, IMO. And I understand there is a movement to reduce the size of the board, which is prolly good.

Kind of ironic in a way that the board and admin are in a bit of a "proving business" state right now. Time will help, I think. We'll see.
Keyser Soze
Didn't see the "If"

2015-2017 cleaned up a great deal including their own structure - though never enough for some
RegentCoverup
Keyser Soze said:

Didn't see the "If"

2015-2017 cleaned up a great deal including their own structure - though never enough for some
For an entity of this size, you can't be a day late and a dollar short, that tends to have a cost. Also, what's the risk of being subpar on these matters? Have we already not seen first hand those costs?

The President reports directly to the Board. The AD reports to the president.
The faculty report administratively to those two personnel.

the key question I would be worried about today is what I suggested above and not to lecture anyone, but I'll repeat by saying any regent circumventing communication protocols and going directly to administrators needs to be removed.

No questions asked.
Aliceinbubbleland
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

57Bear said:

Willis made the lead gift for the Willis Equestrian Center - announced by BU in 2006:

Jeez.
Wasn't it women from the Equestrian program that first complained about female sexual problems at Baylor? Did we actually take only $500k to open up that costly legal mess?

If our endowment as only increased $200k in 14 years everyone should be fired. What kind of leadership does this practice?
RegentCoverup
Aliceinbubbleland said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

57Bear said:

Jeez.
Wasn't it women from the Equestrian program that first complained about female sexual problems at Baylor? Did we actually take only $500k to open up that costly legal mess?

If our endowment as only increased $200k in 14 years everyone should be fired. What kind of leadership does this practice?
They like spending everyone else's money, they won't give their own.
During the debacle, they had more than a few BMD's tell them in no uncertain terms what they thought of their performance. Shouldn't that be disclosed in the board minutes???

We can't afford the status quo of this same circle of regents for another 14 years, our competition will easily outpace us.
Keyser Soze
On a plus side, Baylor's has lost less than many over the last two weeks
Aliceinbubbleland
Keyser Soze said:

On a plus side, Baylor's has lost less than many over the last two weeks

You sure Keyser
bularry
As you said, that'sa function of aggressive fund raising, not performance of investments.
bularry
No, it was not
Iron Claw
Redbrickbear said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

WILLIS said:

This is a big issue.

Their time is extremely valuable and we should be thankful that they serve.
/sarcasm
FKA tri it
william
black swan arena.

- KKM

Dale?
william
william said:

black swan arena.

- KKM

... an open field.

w/ a plaque.

- BUmma

Dale?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.