Knee replacement

6,333 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oldbear83
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks everyone, drove out to the hospital with my wife to figure out the easiest way to get there and back, since my wife will be driving me home and hates driving anyplace she has not been before.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
No reason to add to the stress. Get an Ube XL It would sure be worth it.
Oldbear83
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I'm not familiar with that, is it a kind of brace? I know my orthopedist has one ordered for me, along with a CPM.
WILLIS
Oldbear83 said:

I'm not familiar with that, is it a kind of brace? I know my orthopedist has one ordered for me, along with a CPM.

I think he's talking about getting a rideshare ride/taxi like Uber XL (the large vehicles in the Uber line) to take you to the hospital and back.
Oldbear83
WILLIS said:

Oldbear83 said:

I think he's talking about getting a rideshare ride/taxi like Uber XL (the large vehicles in the Uber line) to take you to the hospital and back.
That makes sense. Actually, the plan now is to take an Uber there, but my wife is driving me home. The hospital requires a family member be there when I am discharged.

Gotta admit the idea of letting me loose a few hours after surgery without adult supervision might be a bad one!
quash
Oldbear83 said:

WILLIS said:

Oldbear83 said:

That makes sense. Actually, the plan now is to take an Uber there, but my wife is driving me home. The hospital requires a family member be there when I am discharged.

Gotta admit the idea of letting me loose a few hours after surgery without adult supervision might be a bad one!
Had an injury that made taking an MRI almost impossible. They ended up given me the good *****

They wouldn't let me drive home on the good **** so I had to lie on a gurney in the hallway until my wife got off work. I had a blast, so much so the staff quit asking me if I was OK because I was SOOOO OK. When you go sixty years without doing illegal drugs the legal ones rock.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

WILLIS said:

Oldbear83 said:

Had an injury that made taking an MRI almost impossible. They ended up given me the good *****

They wouldn't let me drive home on the good **** so I had to lie on a gurney in the hallway until my wife got off work. I had a blast, so much so the staff quit asking me if I was OK because I was SOOOO OK. When you go sixty years without doing illegal drugs the legal ones rock.
I got morphine when I had a kidney stone. It was awesome. I told my wife that if I ever have surgery they CANNOT give me any drug that would be addictive. It would take me about 45 minutes to fall into that pit.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

WILLIS said:

Oldbear83 said:

This will be my first experience with nerve blockers. It should be an adventure, figuring out how to put weight on a leg I cannot feel.
RegentCoverup
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

WILLIS said:

Oldbear83 said:

I got morphine when I had a kidney stone. I
You got morphine for that? ***, they gave me hospital variety Ibuprofen.

Share next time.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

WILLIS said:

Oldbear83 said:

I got morphine when I had a kidney stone. It was awesome. I told my wife that if I ever have surgery they CANNOT give me any drug that would be addictive. It would take me about 45 minutes to fall into that pit.
I hear ya. I eventually had a partial discectomy and they gave my Hydrocodone. It worked. It made me love daytime TV. And I quit after 48 hours of it because I prolonged one dose and felt my teeth grinding. Pass on the addiction.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

WILLIS said:

Oldbear83 said:

Share next time.
The first time I had a kidney stone I got the souped up ibuprofen. The entire event last about 4 hours. The second time, I was peeing blood and doubled over in the fetal position. They were two totally different events for the exact same thing.
Oldbear83
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

WILLIS said:

Oldbear83 said:

Share next time.
The first time I had a kidney stone I got the souped up ibuprofen. The entire event last about 4 hours. The second time, I was peeing blood and doubled over in the fetal position. They were two totally different events for the exact same thing.
Wow, I passed a kidney stone in 2006 which ruptured my appendix, and got nothing for it until they put me out for the appendectomy.

Different doctor back then, but seems like maybe I should have been more clear about being in pain. Then again, I recall he didn't think it was that big a deal that I passed blood when I passed the stone, just had a scan done to make sure whether there were any other stones.
Nguyen One Soon
Oldbear83 said:

This will be my first experience with nerve blockers. It should be an adventure, figuring out how to put weight on a leg I cannot feel.
I had one recently with an emergency total hip replacement. No problems, and I was up within a few hours.
Oldbear83
Out with the old, in with the new

Oldbear83
My CPM machine arrived today
Wichitabear
Oldbear83 said:

It looks like it hurts. Lolol
Oldbear83
Wichitabear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Funny thing, no pain at all while using it, but lots of pain after.
william
Oldbear83 said:

Thanks everyone, drove out to the hospital with my wife to figure out the easiest way to get there and back, since my wife will be driving me home and hates driving anyplace she has not been before.
try a carrier pterodactyl.

they have the GPS chipset now.

VERY easy and safe.

- KKM

BID.

just wait out front of the hospital after the surgery and use the app.

you'll be swooped up in now time.

Wichitabear
Oldbear83 said:

Wichitabear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Funny thing, no pain at all while using it, but lots of pain after.
Get well soon. Prayers up
Oldbear83
Today sucks so far. The nausea from Thursday is back, but so is the pain from Friday. I think I did too much, and my arms and legs have no strength.

Just have to hope the day improves.
Oldbear83
Hello all.

Some things are progressing nicely. The CPM machine flexes my knee to 85 degrees, I can move easily with the walker, and most days the knee is behaving as well as I could have hoped up to now.

I see my surgeon Monday to have the dressing changed and get the first professional verdict on my recovery.

Other things suck.

When I use the CPM machine, phlegm starts to collect in my chest ad I have to cough it out. I also wake up coughing when I take a nap, usually less than an hour of sleep at a time.

Sleeping always means naps. That got old real quick.

I have been good in taking all my medications. I was really glad to finish my blood thinner injections, and tomorrow I will finish my antibiotics. And I appreciate the pain killers prescribed by my doc.

But put them all together in addition to my blood pressure meds I was already on, and you get a steady experience of nausea, constipation and dulled senses at various inconvenient times. Those have gradually improved, but not completely.

Then there was yesterday's panic attack. During a CPM session my chest tightened and I could not get enough air. I turned off the machine, got up and found my way into the living room, where I coughed mucus for about 15 minutes.

I just plain felt like I could not breathe.

Later on, I felt better but was still weak, and realized I had a panic attack. I was very tired and knew I needed to get sleep, but had to fight off the possibility that if I fell asleep I would not wake up.

Fun times!

So here's my question. Have any of you experienced side effects like these, and how do you handle them?

Thanks
jumpinjoe
With two knee replacements 9 months apart, I can't say I've experienced much of what you described. Maybe our physical conditioning going into surgery was different. Before my surgeries, I only take vitamins and supplements, no prescribed medicines, and baby aspirin... I am 74. My resting heart beat is 50, slightly elevated blood pressure and am slightly overweight and higher body fat than when in school. I think I have kept myself in good shape since collegiate training.

I did not have the CPM machine, and movement was on me. I used oxycodone for pain management for 60 days, and carefully made sure I did not get addicted. I primarily took one at night to aid me in getting to sleep. My incision was sewed from the inside, but glued on the outside. My bandage was a waterproof bandage covering the full incision that they changed once in the hospital when they removed the drain, and it stayed on until my first checkup a week later. I did not experience the other symptoms you described, but I did have an allergic reaction to the bandage, a rash that went away once they removed it.

Just hang in there, it does get better.
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Oldbear83
Thanks iumpinjoe. I appreciate having someone who's been through it tell me.

I am having good results and bad. Glad to see my knee is coming along, but the sleep issues mess with me a bit.

Thee University
After reading all of the different experiences I am now scared.

I've been putting the left knee replacement off for 10 years now. Was scheduled for October 2018 but had a chainsaw accident and had an infection that postponed it. Then my surgeon retired. Then horrible insurance. 2021 is the year?

Was scheduled for early February but pushing it back now due to Covid concerns. I need a new left hip too.

I just want it good enough to get back on my mountain bike and be able to walk over 100 yards pain free.

Which is tougher - knee or hip replacement?
WILLIS
Man just do it and move forward. If my dad can do a shoulder, couple back surgeries, and now a knee replacement while being very out of shape, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've watched my dad put off and delay these surgeries over and over for years and then once he gets them done and behind them, it's like why the hell did he live with the pain for so long before. It's amazing once healed. Get the best physical therapy you can and you'll have a good knee in a couple few months. Hip is a breeze these days. They have really come a long ways.
Mitch Blood Green
Oldbear83 said:

Out with the old, in with the new

Mayer had better improve. You'll be competing for his job in 6 weeks.
VaeBear
Thee University said:

I've been putting the left knee replacement off for 10 years now. Was scheduled for October 2018 but had a chainsaw accident and had an infection that postponed it. Then my surgeon retired. Then horrible insurance. 2021 is the year?

Was scheduled for early February but pushing it back now due to Covid concerns. I need a new left hip too.

I just want it good enough to get back on my mountain bike and be able to walk over 100 yards pain free.

My Mom is 73 and had her first hip replaced two days before Thanksgiving. She's having her second one replaced this morning. Not to mention she had surgery on her spine in October. She's been in lots of pain for over a year and has had a hard time walking. If she can do, you can do it.
jumpinjoe
Thee University said:

For one who has mastered the blood board, and the Oklahoma drill, don't be such a wimp. At least they knock you out when they saw your leg off. I survived, and I'm just a track guy who jumped fences on an oval. I'm 15 years your senior, and I've survived, now riding my bike and walking more than a mile a day, WITH NO PAIN.

It is tougher replacing a knee...the hip is a walk in the park, so my doctor said. Whatever you do, REHAB like you want to get back into the game.

Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Oldbear83
jumpinjoe: "Whatever you do, REHAB like you want to get back into the game."

^^ GOSPEL ^^ right there!

Went to see my surgeon today for my first post-op visit. For all my whining, I have been doing my CPM and moving as much as possible. Approved to lose the walker today, now just on a cane, and my home therapy is over, changed to outpatient therapy (better equipment options and I can go back to work as soon as I feel I am ready to drive).

I am still working my body strength back up, and I still wake up with coughing every day. But the x rays look great, the wound is clean and healing, and I can put weight anywhere without pain for short periods of time.

Thanks to everyone here for their help and support!
LIB,MR BEARS
Oldbear83 said:

jumpinjoe: "Whatever you do, REHAB like you want to get back into the game."

^^ GOSPEL ^^ right there!

Went to see my surgeon today for my first post-op visit. For all my whining, I have been doing my CPM and moving as much as possible. Approved to lose the walker today, now just on a cane, and my home therapy is over, changed to outpatient therapy (better equipment options and I can go back to work as soon as I feel I am ready to drive).

I am still working my body strength back up, and I still wake up with coughing every day. But the x rays look great, the wound is clean and healing, and I can put weight anywhere without pain for short periods of time.

Thanks to everyone here for their help and support!

DRIVNG!?!? Good luck everybody.

Sent in the most supportive way possible.
STxBear81
i doubt they let you walk with those effects in place
Oldbear83
I see I need to clarify my thoughts. No, I am not about to hit the road. But it's now on the radar, and it was my doctor who said I will decide when I am ready. Still a ways off but at least the goal is in sight.

My leg is still a bit swollen and twisting to get into the truck is not gonna happen. So part of getting ready to drive is getting the leg into shape where that is feasible, and another part is making sure I am mentally up to it.
quash
Pain is a helluva teacher. You will go to do something and your brain will tell you Nah. Try that and I'll hurt you.

Three months after healing a broken ankle from a cross-check I found myself straight-legging some stairs. ***? Had to force myself to do what had always been natural. Until the pain lessons.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Pain is a helluva teacher. You will go to do something and your brain will tell you Nah. Try that and I'll hurt you.

Three months after healing a broken ankle from a cross-check I found myself straight-legging some stairs. ***? Had to force myself to do what had always been natural. Until the pain lessons.

Right now my teacher is Sensei YouFeelLikeASickPuppy.

There are small rodents who could mess me up if they knew how weak I am right now.
Thee University
jumpinjoe said:

For one who has mastered the blood board, and the Oklahoma drill, don't be such a wimp. At least they knock you out when they saw your leg off. I survived, and I'm just a track guy who jumped fences on an oval. I'm 15 years your senior, and I've survived, now riding my bike and walking more than a mile a day, WITH NO PAIN.

It is tougher replacing a knee...the hip is a walk in the park, so my doctor said. Whatever you do, REHAB like you want to get back into the game.

Not sure you ever master Oklahoma drills, The Corky Nelson Gauntlet or eye openers. But I did survive them. Most of my real knee problems came in pickup basketball games, softball games and being north of 250 lbs for the past 25 years.

The past 8-9 years of not being able to ride my mountain bike has been the killer.

I'll rehab like a banshee. I want back on my bike.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.