Post a song you like

319,266 Views | 3648 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by william
william
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ludwig von Missi
Well, last Sunday was the first Sunday of Advent, so perhaps some Christmas music is appropriate.

quash
Crash Davis said:

Well, last Sunday was the first Sunday of Advent, so perhaps some Christmas music is appropriate.

Of course it is. Saw him do this at the Waco Hippodrome last year, big fun.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Private Pyle
no aggies allowed
LIB,MR BEARS
I've never developed a taste for REK. Put me under the column "meh".
GoldMind
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Its a respect issue for me. Even though hes not the most talented, his influence is undeniable.
Private Pyle
GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Its a respect issue for me. Even though hes not the most talented, his influence is undeniable.
Influence of what? He's always seemed to be a college bar type singer that some try to cling to once they graduate. Similar to a Pat Green who seemed to be making it a little better then has fallen off the erath
GoldMind
Private Pyle said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Influence of what? He's always seemed to be a college bar type singer that some try to cling to once they graduate. Similar to a Pat Green who seemed to be making it a little better then has fallen off the erath

Nonetheless, his music helped popularize a genre that would still be quite obscure otherwise.
Ludwig von Missi
Private Pyle said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

LOL
forza orsi
Private Pyle said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

He's written some great songs that have been covered by well known artists. IMO he's an outstanding songwriter. As a singer, he has a number of tunes that I think are quite good. I've seen him live, and he's way better than a bar band. And I'm not clinging to my college days... He was a total unknown back then.
Ludwig von Missi
forza orsi said:

Private Pyle said:

GoldMind said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

He's written some great songs that have been covered by well known artists. IMO he's an outstanding songwriter. As a singer, he has a number of tunes that I think are quite good. I've seen him live, and he's way better than a bar band. And I'm not clinging to my college days... He was a total unknown back then.
Well said. If REK is not someone's cup of tea, fine by me...no skin off my back. But to chalk him up to a college bar singer is just an ignorant take. He is a world-renowned songwriter that has received near universal acclaim within the Americana genre.

He also released a critically acclaimed bluegrass album about 30 years into his career...pretty impressive to branch out like that and have success. It would have been much safer/easier to release a run-of-the-mill Americana album. I like artists that take chances.
GoldMind
FTR, Pat Green tried to sell his soul to Trashville and got chewed up and spat out.

He still sells out shows across the state.
forza orsi
Another of my Texas songwriter/singer favorites, Slaid Cleaves. Saw him a couple of years back in Austin with my daughter. A really fun night, but I remember being taken aback by the fact that my daughter could order a drink way better than I could. Anyway, Slaid put on a great show despite my having to come to terms with that.

forza orsi
GoldMind said:

FTR, Pat Green tried to sell his soul to Trashville and got chewed up and spat out.

He still sells out shows across the state.
My sister went to high school with Pat, and I've known his parents since I was a kid. I remember driving my sister somewhere and popping in a CD into the car stereo and asking if she had ever heard of Pat Green. She said no, that she had gone to high school with a Pat Green, but didn't know the country singer. When she realized it was the same guy she was shocked and thought the country persona he had developed was hysterical based on what he was like at Vanguard High School.
GoldMind
I'm sure I posted this earlier, but it bears repeating.

forza orsi
GoldMind said:

I'm sure I posted this earlier, but it bears repeating.

You did and it does.
Ludwig von Missi
Love Gary P. Nunn.
Ludwig von Missi
This may be a repost as well, but Reckless Kelly played at the Backyard in Waco last weekend so they are fresh on my mind:

Roy Rogers
"Sic em yesterday, sic em today, sic em forever"
GoldMind
This **** is my ****, don't care what anyone says.

GoldMind
I can get gangster too

Stranger

John Prine and Iris Dement

In spite of ourselves
I'm a Bearbacker
forza orsi
Stranger said:

In spite of ourselves
A classic tune. They're both great, separately and together.
Roy Rogers
forza orsi said:

Stranger said:

In spite of ourselves
A classic tune. They're both great, separately and together.
They are great. Here's my favorite John Prine tune...I may have posted it before but it's good enough to hear again.

Roy Rogers
quash
https://g.co/kgs/NcMxeF
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Stemperford
Stranger
With Emmylou Harris, Pegi Young and some other talented musicians

Written by the great Ian Tyson . . .

I'm a Bearbacker
slimecap
The Beat Goes On - Janet & Randy Jackson

slimecap
A house divided on the favorite version

The original by Randy Jackson

Or the cover by Janet Jackson

slimecap
A house divided on the favorite version

Solo by Lisa Stansfield

Or Duet by Barry White & Lisa Stansfield

BaylorProud77
Loved the Eagles blue star
Stranger
We've got a good little discussion going here about some great songwriting such as Prine, Keen, Nunn. Here's one by Dylan followed by a Dylan cover of the same song by Tom Jones, of all people. I'm thinking Tom Jones has the better version. Whaddayathink?

forza orsi
Stranger said:

We've got a good little discussion going here about some great songwriting such as Prine, Keen, Nunn. Here's one by Dylan followed by a Dylan cover of the same song by Tom Jones, of all people. I'm thinking Tom Jones has the better version. Whaddayathink?

A really nice tune. I like it a lot, but I found myself wanting Tom Jones' version to be over long before it was done. I love Dylan, but don't know his more recent music as well as the older. Thanks for posting!
forza orsi
Here's a gorgeous and powerful version of Waitin' Around to Die by Townes Van Zandt. The editing is a little unusual, but very cool. The beginning has Guy Clark's Old Time Feeling in the background and the end has a little David Alan Coe in the background. I love seeing music done this way, simple & raw. Emotional for everyone in the video. I've seen and heard a several versions of this song, but this one is easily my favorite.

First Page Last Page
Page 16 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.