Three movies viewed yesterday

1,357 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jokerman
SSadler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When you're retired and have time on your hands, you get to watch a LOT of online stuff.

Yesterday was a day I needed to stay home. Three consecutive online movies (YouTube)

(1) Dead Poets Society--had seen parts of it but never from start to credits. Robin Williams in his best venture into serious acting. (story of the power of words)

(2) That Thing You Do--a Tom Hanks movie that went absolutely nowhere at the box office, but it's a fun flick with Hanks both acting and directing (an aspiring musician's story from a garage band to a national recording contract)

(3) The Great Debaters--another flick that went nowhere at the box office but showed Denzel Washington's acting and directing. True story of the debate team of Wiley College (Marshall, Texas) in early 20th Century becoming a national debate program to the extent that Harvard invited the team to debate on the Harvard campus.

Today is a day of bbq repast for lunch--Helberg's or Vitek's with some other Waco freinds

Fulltime retirement is a tough job, but somebody's got to do it
bularry
That Thing You Do is an excellent movie, IMO. Really underrated.

Stranger
SSadler said:

When you're retired and have time on your hands, you get to watch a LOT of online stuff.

Yesterday was a day I needed to stay home. Three consecutive online movies (YouTube)

(1) Dead Poets Society--had seen parts of it but never from start to credits. Robin Williams in his best venture into serious acting. (story of the power of words)

(2) That Thing You Do--a Tom Hanks movie that went absolutely nowhere at the box office, but it's a fun flick with Hanks both acting and directing (an aspiring musician's story from a garage band to a national recording contract)

(3) The Great Debaters--another flick that went nowhere at the box office but showed Denzel Washington's acting and directing. True story of the debate team of Wiley College (Marshall, Texas) in early 20th Century becoming a national debate program to the extent that Harvard invited the team to debate on the Harvard campus.

Today is a day of bbq repast for lunch--Helberg's or Vitek's with some other Waco freinds

That Thing You Do is one of our favorites. We actually own the director's cut which is 30 or 40 minutes longer and has a few juicier parts such as Tom Hanks character being gay (like Beatles manager, Brian Epstein) whose love interest is Howie Long.

The story is basically a tale of an American band that follows loosely the Beatle story as well as bands that become one hit wonders, which is the band's name. The Wonders.

The highlight is the theme song which sounds a lot like the Beatles and would be a hit for any band.

We've seen this movie several times and love it.

Hanks also packed the cast with friends from other Hanks movies
I'm a Bearbacker
SSadler
Good stuff, Stranger. But remember, the title of the groups could very well have been the O-NEED-ERS!

Would love to see the longer version some day. Wasn't aware of it.
Stranger
SSadler said:

Good stuff, Stranger. But remember, the title of the groups could very well have been the O-NEED-ERS!

Would love to see the longer version some day. Wasn't aware of it.

Are you living in Waco?
I'm a Bearbacker
SSadler
Yep. Retired, but since it's been home for all these years of teaching, I'm here to stay--unless the lure of 10 acres in South Limstone County (my home) gets ahold of me.
Stranger
SSadler said:

Yep. Retired, but since it's been home for all these years of teaching, I'm here to stay--unless the lure of 10 acres in South Limstone County (my home) gets ahold of me.

check your private message. I'm trying to send you something
I'm a Bearbacker
drahthaar
SSadler said:

Wouldn't bat an eye, friend!
SSadler
drahthaar said:

SSadler said:

Sitting on a front porch shaded by huge oak trees--talking to the squirrels and watching the white tail deer jump fences is a pretty large lure that I hold on to. And it would only be a one-hour drive to Waco to watch athletic events, attend lecture series, enjoy the Waco symphony, and have lunch with old farts just like me trying to milk all I can out of whatever years remain in this earthly abode.
Stranger
SSadler said:

drahthaar said:

SSadler said:

Sitting on a front porch shaded by huge oak trees--talking to the squirrels and watching the white tail deer jump fences is a pretty large lure that I hold on to. And it would only be a one-hour drive to Waco to watch athletic events, attend lecture series, enjoy the Waco symphony, and have lunch with old farts just like me trying to milk all I can out of whatever years remain in this earthly abode.

but can you dial up the interweb from out there?
I'm a Bearbacker
SSadler
My country cousins tell me they can subscribe to one of several Cell Tower services, but that it sucks and is not dependable.

So, I'll just live in the margins inbetween cell coverage and suckage.

That's what the squirrels and the whitetails will be for.
jdub_316
Stranger said:

SSadler said:

That Thing You Do is one of our favorites. We actually own the director's cut which is 30 or 40 minutes longer and has a few juicier parts such as Tom Hanks character being gay (like Beatles manager, Brian Epstein) whose love interest is Howie Long.

The story is basically a tale of an American band that follows loosely the Beatle story as well as bands that become one hit wonders, which is the band's name. The Wonders.

The highlight is the theme song which sounds a lot like the Beatles and would be a hit for any band.

We've seen this movie several times and love it.

Hanks also packed the cast with friends from other Hanks movies

One anecdote about That Thing You Do is that you never find out the bass player's name. Even in the credits I believe he's listed as TB Player.
Jokerman
As a school teacher and a wannabe rock star, Dead Poet's Society and That Thing You Do! are in my top 20 all-time favorite flicks.

DPS is also one of the "movies guaranteed to make Jokerman cry ... a lot." So much genius, and truth in that film.

Stumbled across the director's cut of TTYD a couple of years back, and wish that would be the one shown on the regular. Really fleshes out the characters so much more. We've had the soundtrack to that for years, and it was a heavy rotation play for our kids in the car. They learned the songs well before they had ever seen the movie.

Also, moment of silence for the passing of the great Peter Scolari, whose turn as the show host in TTYD was well done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.