Beer

7,239 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by J.R.
J.R.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone had any good, new beer?
bularry
Been drinking some offerings from Brazos Valley Brewing. Good stuff
J.R.
Will give it a go. Thanks, Larry.
ColomboLQ
J.R. said:

What do you mean by "good" or "new"? Cause there is tons out there.
J.R.
ColomboLQ said:

J.R. said:

What do you mean by "good" or "new"? Cause there is tons out there.
There is so much out there these days, it's hard to get through it all. Just looking for some "must trys" Not a fan of ultra hoppy beers (Double IPAs, Imperials ect) I was a home brewer back in the late 80s/early 90s, so I have decent beer IQ, but, Ive found myself gone full circle and more interested in well, made, balanced beer....particularly newer versions of European classics.
Lund Vernquist
Same here, friend. Localwise I'm a big fan of the Rahr Fort Worth Session Ale and Oak Highlands' Allgood (Kolsch) and Golden Mustache (Dortmunder).
J.R.
Lund Vernquist said:

Same here, friend. Localwise I'm a big fan of the Rahr Fort Worth Session Ale and Oak Highlands' Allgood (Kolsch) and Golden Mustache (Dortmunder).
We are most def on the same page. Love all of those.
bularry
Bought the New England Hazy IPA's from 3 Nations the other day. I've enjoyed the couple I've had so far.

I like the style, but this is only the second one I've had.
ColomboLQ
bularry said:

Bought the New England Hazy IPA's from 3 Nations the other day. I've enjoyed the couple I've had so far.

This style has really become popular within the last couple of years. Some of the originals from Tree House, Trillium, etc are still the standard but there are a couple of breweries in Texas that are doing them well now.
bularry
ColomboLQ said:

bularry said:

This style has really become popular within the last couple of years. Some of the originals from Tree House, Trillium, etc are still the standard but there are a couple of breweries in Texas that are doing them well now.
yeah, not real common still, but I like the style.
bularry
Overcame my inherent cheapness and bought a 4 pack of Lone Pint Jabberwocky

Imperial IPA. Damn good. 8%.
J.R.
bularry said:

Overcame my inherent cheapness and bought a 4 pack of Lone Pint Jabberwocky

Imperial IPA. Damn good. 8%.
I like Lone Pint. I will give it a go.
bularry
Didn't think the Karbach hazy was that great.

Big fan of Firestone Walker hazy if you see it. Really tasty beer.
ScottS
Lowenbrau
quash
Texarkana opened up a brewpub that serves good food. I had their stout, was enjoying it and the bartender brought me a small glass of it with a shot of vanilla cider. Weird but good in the way that Sin Mint, the Christmas version of Temptress, is weird but good.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
bularry
tried the St Arnolds 25th anniversary beer. It is a combination of 4 different barrel aged stouts. very tasty and very rich. also very $$ $9 for a 12 oz bottle.
quash
bularry said:

tried the St Arnolds 25th anniversary beer. It is a combination of 4 different barrel aged stouts. very tasty and very rich. also very $$ $9 for a 12 oz bottle.
But worth it, yes?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
UPBaylor
bularry said:

So, that's like asking if an $18 bottle of high end wine is worth it. (2X 12 oz = ~750ml) Not very expensive when you think of it that way and it's a sipping beer. Wine would be 10X that.

Having said that, I haven't tried it. Just saying that $9 for a very unique and special sipping beer wouldn't deter me. Probably wouldn't buy a case though.
bularry
UPBaylor said:

bularry said:

So, that's like asking if an $18 bottle of high end wine is worth it. (2X 12 oz = ~750ml) Not very expensive when you think of it that way and it's a sipping beer. Wine would be 10X that.

Having said that, I haven't tried it. Just saying that $9 for a very unique and special sipping beer wouldn't deter me. Probably wouldn't buy a case though.
$54 for a 6 pack is pretty steep, no matter how you slice it.

I bought 3, so it didn't deter me, either
bularry
quash said:

bularry said:

But worth it, yes?
i liked it quite a bit, it was good.
BUrbon
Alstadt Kolsch.
J.R.
BUrbon said:

Alstadt Kolsch.
Interesting you posted. I love all 4 beers they make in the strictest German style. Heffe, Alt, Kolsh, Octoberfest (seasonal). Not high in ABV, not out of balance. Love that place. I hear it's a great place to visit in Fredericksburg. Scripts and Food Network $. Kids needed something to do!!! lol
Gaiasports
J.R. said:

BUrbon said:

Alstadt Kolsch.
Interesting you posted. I love all 4 beers they make in the strictest German style. Heffe, Alt, Kolsh, Octoberfest (seasonal). Not high in ABV, not out of balance. Love that place. I hear it's a great place to visit in Fredericksburg. Scripts and Food Network $. Kids needed something to do!!! lol
Certainly, a place not to be missed.
david82
I love beer
bularry
drank my last Samuel Smith Winter Warmer yesterday.... should have bought more with this cold snap!
Stemperford
Let no man thirst for good beer!
bularry
Just had an Alstadt. I found it completely drinkable and inoffensive, but not that interesting, either.

Much rather drink aSt Arnold's lawnmower
Greenbear
I know the brewer at Alstadt. Good guy. Need to get down there.

Favorite breweries in DFW - Manhattan Project, Celestial, Turning Point, False Idol and of course 3 Nations. Also really like Blue Owl (sours) in Austin and yesterday visited Pondaseta in Amarillo yesterday. They were enjoyable for a small batch brew pub.

I really like higher end Hazy IPAs. Love the hops without the bitterness. Love good sours and golden stouts.
bularry
Greenbear said:

Favorite breweries in DFW - Manhattan Project, Celestial, Turning Point, False Idol and of course 3 Nations. Also really like Blue Owl (sours) in Austin and yesterday visited Pondaseta in Amarillo yesterday. They were enjoyable for a small batch brew pub.

I really like higher end Hazy IPAs. Love the hops without the bitterness. Love good sours and golden stouts.
let's hear your favorite Texas hazy IPAs and sours...I'm a fan of those, too
J.R.
Greenbear said:

That's ironic. I have lunch on Monday every week at Manhattan Project. The fries there fried in Beef Tallow are absolutely incredible dunked in some garlic aioli! Yup. Know everyone in there. Celestial is great too and it's really close to my crib. Took a field trip to Turning Point and man, was I impressed! Have to add Peticolas in Dallas to the list. It's right up there.
J.R.
bularry said:

Greenbear said:

let's hear your favorite Texas hazy IPAs and sours...I'm a fan of those, too
Double Half Life from Manhattan. Most all Hazys at Celestial. They are small batch and switch out all the time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.