Sous Vide Awesomeness

19,536 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DioNoZeus
DioNoZeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ATXBear said:

Anybody else find that certain foods like chicken breast have an overly mushy texture after cooking them via Sou Vides? Cooked chicken breast for the 2nd time tonight and the results we're the same. Have enjoyed cooking other proteins with my Anova.
I think you're probably not cooking at a high enough temperature. I cooked spilt breasts last night at 68C. The texture of the main breast was stringy but still moist; the tenderloin was a little mushy though. Will probably cook slightly hotter next time.
UPBaylor
I'm late to this forum overall, but I do a lot of water bath cooking (own 4 SV machines) and have developed some opinions. Your milage may vary. And, these aren't necessarily contradictory to much of what has been posted here, just a slight modification for my own purposes.

Steak done traditional SV is overrated. Originally it was presented that you couldn't really over cook the meat, but I think most people have modified that stance. Time and temp in the water matters in terms of texture. I think that's what J.R. was alluding to earlier and Kenji has modified his stance to take that into consideration. 3 hours at 122 will yield a mealy, grainy steak, albeit perfectly colored.

For me, I've gone to what others have described as "hot tubbing" my thick steaks. I'll put them in at around a physiologic temperature (99F) for about 1.5 hours. My theory being that the cow lived at that temp and things didn't break down or fat melt out. It gets the temp close enough to my final desired that a hot sear will bring it on up to 120 or so in the end. I get excellent results and traditional beef texture.

Boneless/skinless chicken breasts are the absolute most difficult protein to make interesting from a flavor and juiciness standpoint. SV can make them much better, but they'll never be great just because of what they are. I season mine and SV at 149 about an hour or so. Then, pull, dry and sear on a well oiled carbon steel pan for the Maillard browning. They turn out very nice and juicy and as flavorful as this protein can ever get. It is what it is though. Too long in the SV and you get the mushiness texture. SV helps impart the seasonings and gets it safely cooked without overheating it and drying it out which essentially max's out what you can do with it.
GoBearsGo
trying out my new Anova tonight on some strips. any tips? Gonna do 130 for about 1.5 hours while I work out then sear in a hot skillet.

Salt Peper and sear in herb butter.
HalibutRetro
I bought Chef Steps' Joule and have been using it a lot. Mostly for steaks at first, but recently I've cooked pork chops with it. I also use it to defrost my baked oatmeal in the morning (I make a batch and freeze portions). The Joule is controlled via your phone. You pick the food you're cooking, the thickness, if it's fresh or frozen, and the doneness you want. It then sets the temperature and time. No complaints thus far.

Joule's app is really convenient and takes guesswork out of it, which is great for me.

Planning to try Chef Steps' indoor ribs next:
HalibutRetro
GoBearsGo said:

So thinking of getting one of these, which one?
They're pretty similar. Go with the one that is running the best deal at the moment. That's how I settled on the Joule.
GoBearsGo
Cooked 6 NY Strips last night. 130 for 60min then a quick sear in some herb butter in a scorching hot pan.

My pot was too small for all the meat. I'll either use a bigger pot or less meat next time.
I'm going to either sear on my grill (have a searing burner) or use the burners outside
I'll set the temp a little lower. I'll try 128, then sear up. I like a med/rare on the more rare side.

Overall we were pleased with the results. I'm looking forward to using it more.

I got the wifi Anova and was able to check on it in other parts of the house. Excited to do other things. I think I'm going to get a big plastic bun to try some pork shoulder or brisket and finish in the smoker.
DioNoZeus
You can order a large heat resistant Rubbermaid plastic tub on amazon for larger cooks. There is even a company that has molded lids for the tubs with a hole for the immersion circulator for longer cooks.
CTCBear
What company sells the lids with holes cut out?
DioNoZeus
Here are a couple of examples of lids:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017TMJWBE/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1487181168&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sous+vide+container&dpPl=1&dpID=31f15Dg%2BJ6L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M3VH3UK/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487181168&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65
RebelT
GoBearsGo said:

Cooked 6 NY Strips last night. 130 for 60min then a quick sear in some herb butter in a scorching hot pan.

My pot was too small for all the meat. I'll either use a bigger pot or less meat next time.
I'm going to either sear on my grill (have a searing burner) or use the burners outside
I'll set the temp a little lower. I'll try 128, then sear up. I like a med/rare on the more rare side.

Overall we were pleased with the results. I'm looking forward to using it more.

I got the wifi Anova and was able to check on it in other parts of the house. Excited to do other things. I think I'm going to get a big plastic bun to try some pork shoulder or brisket and finish in the smoker.

First, I don't recommend trying to sear up from a temp. It will take some finagling to find what is right for you and your family, but your sear temperature should be hot enough that you don't have time for any residual cook. If you do, you're not searing as hot as you should be.

Second, don't be afraid to sear your steaks individually. People have a misconception that a steak has to be served piping hot to be good, but you can rest for up to 15 minutes on a cutting board with a container over it with no ill effects at all. I sear my steaks one at a time in a cast iron skillet that is raging hot, and transfer to a cutting board for resting.
bu08usc11

If this thread has gotten you in the mood to buy one, Slickdeals/Best Buy has it for $95 today

https://slickdeals.net/f/9678456-anova-sous-vide-bluetooth-precision-cooker-95-w-visa-checkout-free-s-h
rjwellman
DioNoZeus said:

You can order a large heat resistant Rubbermaid plastic tub on amazon for larger cooks. There is even a company that has molded lids for the tubs with a hole for the immersion circulator for longer cooks.
I've picked up a few different tubs, both square and round, for my setup. After using both, I think square is the better way to go.

I bought a couple lids and tried making my own holes, but it didn't work great. For long cooks, I've covered the top in foil and that works perfectly. It's pretty rare that a lid is actually needed, though. The only time I've seen the benefit is for overnight cooks.

Instead of a lid, you can also fill the top with ping pong balls: http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/how-to-insulate-sous-vide-water-bath.html
RebelT
rjwellman said:

DioNoZeus said:

I've picked up a few different tubs, both square and round, for my setup. After using both, I think square is the better way to go.

I bought a couple lids and tried making my own holes, but it didn't work great. For long cooks, I've covered the top in foil and that works perfectly. It's pretty rare that a lid is actually needed, though. The only time I've seen the benefit is for overnight cooks.

Instead of a lid, you can also fill the top with ping pong balls: http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/how-to-insulate-sous-vide-water-bath.html

I haven't needed a lid because my cooks so far have been relatively short and sweet (not to mention small), but I actually planned to do the ping pong ball method.

Such a genius idea.
lbtx
rjwellman said:

DioNoZeus said:

rjwellman's cooking skills are legendary.
Bear-0-Daktyl
GoBearsGo said:

I'm going to buy an Anova, but I'm not sure which one? Wifi or no wifi?

My opinion is that unless you buy an all-in-one unit that also has cooling capability the ability to operate it remotely is pointless. Without cooling you can't just throw meat in it in the morning and turn it on on the afternoon. For that reason the Bluetooth model is sufficient for me.
ATXBear
You can't go wrong either way. Their app is pretty cool and has a guide on cooking temps based on the type of meat you're cooking with and cook time.
GoBearsGo
Saw a recipe for eggs that replicate starbucks sous vide egg bites. Gonna try that out this weekend for a quicl takeaway breakfast.

I did some great pork chops a few nights ago with a sear on my grill.

Besides meat, what other things have you tried?
BearlyHeardFrom
Got a link for that recipe?
GoBearsGo
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Got a link for that recipe?

https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homemade-sous-vide-egg-bites/
SoTexBear
RebelT said:

100% relevant:

Would love to see a 5th technique - cast iron.

Great video.

I've been doing reverse sear (including last night with prime bone-in ribeye) on my Traeger for about 45 min at a fairly low temp replicating the sous vide results. Then I crank up the cast iron in the kitchen. Amazing results (if I say so myself).
GoBearsGo
Did you know you can chill things with your Anova? Saw an article about how it's a perfect wine chiller. Haven't tried it yet.
ATXBear
Anybody have issue with all the juices running out of their steaks with Sou Vide? Am I doing something wrong with the vacuum seal?
CTCBear
If the juice stays in the bag then you probably aren't messing up the vacuum seal. What time and temps are you cooking at?

You can always use the juice for a quick pan sauce...
ATXBear
I've been cooking at around 148 as the wife likes it medium. I'm guessing 148 is part of the problem. I may go back to the reverse sear method. Pan sauce is a great idea though.
CTCBear
I would expiriment with one for you at a much lower temp, I like 129. See if your juice level is the same.

Souls vide is what convinced the wife that below medium is the way to go
lbtx
I agree. 148 is pretty high. I do mine at at 129 as well.

Be sure to pat the steak completely dry after you pull it out of the bath as well. It needs to be dry to create a good crust in the searing process. Kenji has a pretty full-proof plan on the Serious Eats website.
ATXBear
Anybody tried sou vide ribs or pulled pork? I've heard good things and have considered trying one or both this weekend.
lbtx
Haven't tried ribs or pulled pork, but have done brisket and tri-tip which both turned out great.
BearlyHeardFrom
I have. I did a grill/sous vide/bge rib cook-off. They were all good (because ribs) but the bge's were the best.
BrooksBearLives
BearlyHeardFrom said:

I have. I did a grill/sous vide/bge rib cook-off. They were all good (because ribs) but the bge's were the best.
That's awesome!

I've been lurking on this thread for a while. This post actually put it over the top for me and I ordered the Anova Bluetooth last night on Amazon. Should be here by Thursday.

It's listed at $149, but I saw it listed for $50 on "used and new" so I swung for the fences.

Really excited to put y'all's advice to use!
RebelT
My wife is more on the medium side as well, but the perfect middle ground I've found is 133. Give it an hour in the sous vide at 133, and a good hard sear in a smoking cast iron with a bit of butter at the end...money. Straight money.
I still don't know why KenPom likes our offense. - croyse
atxtraveler
The Anova wifi is on major sale today on Amazon Prime day if you remember to go grab it.
BrooksBearLives
atxtraveler said:

The Anova wifi is on major sale today on Amazon Prime day if you remember to go grab it.
snagged mine.
SoTexBear
atxtraveler said:

Got mine for $99! It was during the flash sale which was even cheaper than the $129 Prime Day deal.
Bear-0-Daktyl
Just saw a sneak preview of Prime Day that showed the Anova. Don't know the price but a heads up to those of you that have been on the fence!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.