Sous Vide Awesomeness

19,477 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DioNoZeus
BrooksBearLives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I made a Beef Wellington last night. Knocked it out of the park. This is what Sous Vide was made for.

Super easy to make.
Bear-0-Daktyl
BrooksBearLives said:

I made a Beef Wellington last night. Knocked it out of the park. This is what Sous Vide was made for.

Super easy to make.

Hell yeah! Link to your recipe?
BrooksBearLives
BearMace said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Super easy to make.

Hell yeah! Link to your recipe?
https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-beef-wellington-2

As it was my first try, I just used a tightly-wrapped skirt steak that was shaped. It turned out perfectly. Even did the cris-crossing with extra strips of puff pastry overlaid on the first sheet wrapped.

I cannot get over how easy this was. I think I'm going to make this the next time my wife and I host a fancy dinner. It tasted amazing and it looked awesome.
BearlyHeardFrom
Skirt steak is made for the sous vide. I do that all the time with a 24 hour cook. Always great.
#LetsGoBrandon
BrooksBearLives
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Skirt steak is made for the sous vide. I do that all the time with a 24 hour cook. Always great.
I only did a 2-hour cook and it really turned out great. It was a really thick cut made to look like a tenderloin. It just has more marbling.

And I certainly agree. Sous Vide is especially great for tougher cuts.
Nguyen One Soon
BearMace said:

Just saw a sneak preview of Prime Day that showed the Anova. Don't know the price but a heads up to those of you that have been on the fence!
Anova brings back bad memories, all the way from the Spring 1975 semester. Roger Kirk was in the Psychology department, teaching statistics courses. He was also an avid sailor, and had named his boat Anova because that was the title of the textbook he authored, and the profits paid for the boat. By the way, Anova is short for analysis of variance.

So as much as I would like one, can't do it.
Bear-0-Daktyl
Nguyen One Soon said:

BearMace said:

Just saw a sneak preview of Prime Day that showed the Anova. Don't know the price but a heads up to those of you that have been on the fence!
Anova brings back bad memories, all the way from the Spring 1975 semester. Roger Kirk was in the Psychology department, teaching statistics courses. He was also an avid sailor, and had named his boat Anova because that was the title of the textbook he authored, and the profits paid for the boat. By the way, Anova is short for analysis of variance.

That's funny. Fortunately for you there are plenty of options this day that allow you to avoid Analysis of Variance! Anova just brought the price down with enough quality first that they're kinda everywhere right now.
4th and Inches
Nguyen One Soon said:

BearMace said:

lol, i have a different brand i got off amazon. It was on sale for like 50 bucks with free prime shipping... our steaks are super simple to make, just season with salt lick brand garlic rub sous vide for 1-2 hours and sear afterward. Amazing!

Sous vide anything has a you tube channel that will make your mouth water!
Edmond Bear

Just did my first Sous Vide steaks. Turned out somewhere between very good and damn good. Need to switch from cast iron skillet sear to coal chimney sear.

Would also listen to suggestions for even better tenderizing. Did a little salt and pepper. Anything else?
DioNoZeus
Edmond Bear said:

Just did my first Sous Vide steaks. Turned out somewhere between very good and damn good. Need to switch from cast iron skillet sear to coal chimney sear.

Would also listen to suggestions for even better tenderizing. Did a little salt and pepper. Anything else?

I like to add some smashed garlic cloves and a little rosemary to the bags
Edmond Bear

Have been a Sous Vide fool for the last 3 weeks; pork loins, chicken breasts, skirt steak, pork chops, different kinds of fish.

This thing has changed my meat lovin' life.

Season the meat or throw garlic and rosemary in a bag with the meat. Everything is easy to make, comes out tender and juicy, and tastes awesome. My family is loving how much our meat game has improved.

My only dalliance outside of sous vide lately has been a couple of beer can chickens on the grill. Also, pretty great.
BrooksBearLives
Edmond Bear said:

Have been a Sous Vide fool for the last 3 weeks; pork loins, chicken breasts, skirt steak, pork chops, different kinds of fish.

This thing has changed my meat lovin' life.

Season the meat or throw garlic and rosemary in a bag with the meat. Everything is easy to make, comes out tender and juicy, and tastes awesome. My family is loving how much our meat game has improved.

My only dalliance outside of sous vide lately has been a couple of beer can chickens on the grill. Also, pretty great.

Three words for you:

Perfect. Beef. Wellington.
redfish961
Ok, so I've read the thread and am intrigued, but I have a few questions.

1) It seems to be pretty cost efficient. I have a Foodsaver, so vacuum bags aren't a problem. Are there any hidden costs or additional items that need to be purchased other than tubs (if necessary).

2) Is there a particular model that has better value? Wouldn't need any apps or wifi, lol

3) It seems it increases the cooking/prep time...I'm assuming the consensus opinion is that the finished product is worth it?

4) Is this a system that is bent towards larger meals or smaller meals?

5) How easy are they to clean?

6) Has anyone tried anything other than meats, and if so, was there a difference noted?

I like the information that I've looked at so far, but I can cook a steak in 15 minutes, start to finish and it seems as if it turns it into a project with sous vide.

Really just curious if it's something that's worthy of the time or something that sits in a drawer, lol.

I'm thinking it's worth the time if you have it.
Edmond Bear
redfish961 said:

1) It seems to be pretty cost efficient. I have a Foodsaver, so vacuum bags aren't a problem. Are there any hidden costs or additional items that need to be purchased other than tubs (if necessary).
I bought a white food safe bucket at Lowe's for $3 and I use gallon freezer bags. Those are the only other costs.

2) Is there a particular model that has better value? Wouldn't need any apps or wifi, lol
I bought an Anova off Amazon for $60 ($60 on Black Friday - right now it's $80). It is connected to an app. The app has a ton of recipes that you can select. When you are ready to start warming the water, you just click 'Start Anova.' It automatically heats up to the correct temp and for the correct length of time for your meat. After it is done, it lowers the water temp but keeps it warming until you stop it.

Anova on Amazon

3) It seems it increases the cooking/prep time...I'm assuming the consensus opinion is that the finished product is worth it?
Prep time for me is usually < 10 mins. I throw on a store bought seasoning, like Montreal Steak Seasoning on pork or chicken or steak. I throw the meat in a bag and remove the air using a water immersion technique. You would use your vacuum sealer. Sometimes, I add rosemary in the bag. And then drop it in the water. The cook time is considerably longer - 1 to 2 hours - so you do have to think about it well in advance of your meal.

After cooking, I pull the meat out of a bag and sear it either on a really hot cast iron skillet with some butter or I put the meat over coals in a chimney starter.

I've cooked large pork loins and I've cooked a single chicken breast. Size didn't really matter.

It's in water that doesn't touch food product. So, it doesn't really need to be cleaned, just drained. I let mine drain, dry it off quickly and put it back in a drawer.

You will also have to empty and put away your tub/bucket. And, you'll have to clean whatever you use to sear meats.

6) Has anyone tried anything other than meats, and if so, was there a difference noted?
Have only tried meats and fish. But, the Anova app shows recipes for potatoes, vegetables, eggs, chicken stock, and I just saw a lobster bisque. Now, you have me curious about the other stuff.

I like the information that I've looked at so far, but I can cook a steak in 15 minutes, start to finish and it seems as if it turns it into a project with sous vide.
For me, it's 10 minutes of prep, then set it and forget it for 2 hours, then sear the meat which is the fun part. I do find that I don't drink as much beer as when I'm grilling...so, that's kind of a letdown.

Probably the biggest meat improvement is with pork. Most people cook pork until it's dry and loses it's flavor. But, the Anova cooks it to the perfect, safe temp and the meat is a little pink but really juicy.

Really just curious if it's something that's worthy of the time or something that sits in a drawer, lol.

My family has loved the taste. Sous vide cooking seems like it produces juicy, awesome tasting meat more consistently than watching a grill. For me, it makes the process of cooking great tasting meat almost mistake free.

I still grill. I like making beer can chicken and smoking some meats. But, for dinner two or three nights a week, I use the sous vide.

RebelT
redfish961 said:

If you follow Kenji Lopez-Alt's guide, he buys a bag of ping pong balls and puts them on top of the water to help hold the heat in the bucket for more consistent temps and still allow steam to escape, preventing condensation from getting on your sous vide. May not be necessary, but we're talking an extra $5 or something. Otherwise, no extra costs besides the bags. Vacuum-sealing is over-kill for it, IMO, but to each their own.

redfish961 said:

Anova. Don't bother with others.

redfish961 said:

More on this below.

redfish961 said:

I've done as many as six 12-14 oz steaks in mine at one time. I typically do two of whatever my wife and I are having. We don't do meat any other way anymore.

redfish961 said:

There is no cleaning. The food goes in a bag, you pour the water out when you're done. The end.

redfish961 said:

lol at something other than meat. Why bother?

Seriously though, no, I haven't, although I've been very intrigued by some things I've seen.

redfish961 said:

It changes the way you approach cooking, for sure. You have to plan ahead a little bit, but in terms of the actual time it takes to prepare, I would say it's basically the same. The actual prep time to start the process is maybe 5 minutes for me to do two pieces of meat -- fill up the bucket, connect the Anova and turn it on, season the meat and put it in the bag, use the water immersion technique to get the air out of it....boom. Done. Walk away for 2 hours.

Come back when ready to cook, put the cast iron on high heat, turn off the Anova, take the meat out and dry it off thoroughly, add a bit of oil to one side, drop it in the pan once it's blazing hot, roughly 3 minutes on each side, add butter in the last 30 seconds and coat it, remove.

Done.

redfish961 said:

As noted above, we literally don't cook steak, pork, or chicken (other than a whole chicken) any other way any more. The consistency and quality that you get makes it so worth it.
4th and Inches
Everything pretty much covered so I will say this... your 1-2 hours of cook time is when you make your sides

Making a fine roasted baked potato requires a lil prep and extened cook time so you start them after the meat. Then a bit later prep your veg and make a salad and then finally sear off your meat. Typically I use at least an hour in side prep while meat is cooking
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
DioNoZeus
Here's my take: Where the immersion circulator really has its value is cooking proteins that have a short window from being perfectly cooked to over cooked (chicken breast, pork chops, etc). The longer cook times give you a much bigger window to nail the perfect internal temperature so you can plan and execute the rest of your meal and not worry about over cooking your meat. It definitely takes a little planning and there are certainly other methods you can use (for instance, lately I've been dry brining whole boneless chickens overnight before quickly roasting them in the oven and the breasts come out juicy with super crisp skin every time). It's just a nice tool to have available, especially if you're planning more elaborate meals.
redfish961
Thanks guys!

I'm sold. I'm going to buy one and try it out for the Super Bowl.

I think I will try ribeyes first since that seems to be the simplest.

Great information and the tidbit about using the cooking time to make the sides makes perfect sense.

I'll let you know how my initial voyage goes.
4th and Inches
redfish961 said:

Thanks guys!

I'm sold. I'm going to buy one and try it out for the Super Bowl.

I think I will try ribeyes first since that seems to be the simplest.

Great information and the tidbit about using the cooking time to make the sides makes perfect sense.

I'll let you know how my initial voyage goes.
I know you tailgate like a beast so i was curious how this went for you...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
RebelT
Well, this was terrible.

BrooksBearLives
RebelT said:

Well, this was terrible.

Niiiiiiice.

Beef Wellington's used to be so much work.
4th and Inches
RebelT said:

Well, this was terrible.

looks on point! Whens dinner?!
D. C. Bear
Don't have a picture, but I made some amazing pork chops this evening with my Anova sous vide. 140 degrees of perfection.
JIVATY
RebelT said:

100% relevant:

<!--t-->FileZilla Malwarebytes Rufus
The ridiculous thing I'm doing that made me request this forum involves sous vide, but it will be a choke of weeks before I have time to do it. Pumped about it.

BearlyHeardFrom
When your Sous Vide dies in the middle of the night (I'm assuming) during a 72 hour short rib cook and you wake to room temp water.

4th and Inches
BearlyHeardFrom said:

When your Sous Vide dies in the middle of the night (I'm assuming) during a 72 hour short rib cook and you wake to room temp water.

dang... thats gonna give me nightmares now
BrooksBearLives
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Oh no.

Thoughts and prayers. (No sarcasm, that really sucks).
DioNoZeus
Speaking of longer cooks, if any of you like duck confit, using an immersion circulator gives you great results without having to source a ton of duck fat. I tried it a few weeks ago and it turned out great.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/12/sous-vide-duck-confit-recipe.html
This place is toxic. Unsubscribing

-Bono/Chitwood/Norman Dale/Sunny Ortiz/John Galt/and soon to be The Toxic Avenger

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.