Football
Sponsored by

Is Lane Kiffin a better coach than Mel Tucker, Sam Pittman, and Dave Aranda? | The So

2,958 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUGWBBear
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HarryMehre
No, without watching the video.
Mitch Blood Green
No. He's even less loyal.
Beaneater
If only we could somehow get some of those teams to play each other.

That would be solid.
historian
It would be so easy to settle these debates in the gridiron. Someone should organize it. Such a game would even be worthy of a New Years bowl!
Chamberman
Kiffin is the most over rated coach of any sport. Now that Lebby has left Ole Miss, he's going to be in trouble and be exposed once again.

Dude must sleep in lucky charms, because he's received so many undeserved 2nd chances, it's sickening.
BUGWBBear
I got 21-7 reasons why he isn't.
cowboycwr
Chamberman said:

Kiffin is the most over rated coach of any sport. Now that Lebby has left Ole Miss, he's going to be in trouble and be exposed once again.

Dude must sleep in lucky charms, because he's received so many undeserved 2nd chances, it's sickening.
I think he is over rated and probably is at the top, especially when you look at how many places keep hiring him. I could think of a few that could be arguments for the top spot but they were found out to be overrated quickly and did not keep getting job after job.
Stefano DiMera
His dad is football royalty.
EvilTroyAndAbed
They did finish third in the SEC this year. That ain't nothin.
bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

They did finish third in the SEC this year. That ain't nothin.
He did a good job at both Florida Atlantic and Ole Miss. He's been a much better head coach since graduating from the Nick Saban coach rehabilitation program.
bear2be2
Chamberman said:

So you think Lebby was responsible for Kiffin's success? I think it's the opposite and you'll see Lebby exposed now that he's not being babysat by an offensive head coach.
Gunny Hartman
Chamberman said:

Haha. No offense, but Kiffin has a proven track record of actually building his own offensive system, unlike Lebby who learned his system from daddy-in-law. Without the Lane Train overseeing him, low IQ Lebby is going to struggle mightily with a defensive coach as his boss.

And I have even worse news for Lebby and OU: in the Sugar Bowl, Aranda and Roberts put on a clinic on how to stop the Briles inverted veer, and you can bet the other Big 12 DCs were taking notes. They recorded a Sugar Bowl record ten, yes TEN sacks and three picks. They baited Lebby into making a stupid call that directly led to Walcott's pick 6. It was a genius defensive gameplan, and absolutely hilarious to watch unfold.

Poor ole Lebby is about to find out what it's like running an offensive system without any help from his head coach or daddy in law, and it's going to be a rude awakening for him, and I am here for it.
parch
Gunny Hartman said:

Chamberman said:

Haha. No offense, but Kiffin has a proven track record of actually building his own offensive system, unlike Lebby who learned his system from daddy-in-law. Without the Lane Train overseeing him, low IQ Lebby is going to struggle mightily with a defensive coach as his boss.
The dude's only success as a HC has literally come from aping Briles' system with Kendal and Lebby.

During Kiffin's time at Alabama he studied Briles' offense at Baylor. The former Tennessee and USC head coach was ready to implement the scheme into his next program when he became a head coach again.

Kiffin has since implemented it with Briles at FAU and now Jeff Lebby as his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Ole Miss. Lebby served in various capacities under his father-in-law Briles at Baylor from 2008-15.

Now with Lebby at Ole Miss, Briles at Arkansas as offensive coordinator, and Heupel at Tennessee executing Baylor's scheme after studying it, the Rebels, Razorbacks and Vols have the three most efficient offenses in the SEC and nationally.

"I saw it very close watching the Washington-Baylor bowl game that was in the 60s," Kiffin told Vols Wire on the SEC teleconference Wednesday. "I just was kind of enamored with it for awhile and started to study some of it and use some it at Alabama. I just said, 'Alright, if I get a head job again, this is what I want to do'.

"It really is amazing the system and credit to Art Briles because all three of those teams are the top rushing teams in the country. You look at the SEC, where some people listening to us are saying, are great rushing teams, and they're really not. I give a ton of credit to Art Briles."

Gunny Hartman
parch said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Chamberman said:

The dude's only success as a HC has literally come from aping Briles' system with Kendal and Lebby.

During Kiffin's time at Alabama he studied Briles' offense at Baylor. The former Tennessee and USC head coach was ready to implement the scheme into his next program when he became a head coach again.

Kiffin has since implemented it with Briles at FAU and now Jeff Lebby as his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Ole Miss. Lebby served in various capacities under his father-in-law Briles at Baylor from 2008-15.

Now with Lebby at Ole Miss, Briles at Arkansas as offensive coordinator, and Heupel at Tennessee executing Baylor's scheme after studying it, the Rebels, Razorbacks and Vols have the three most efficient offenses in the SEC and nationally.

"I saw it very close watching the Washington-Baylor bowl game that was in the 60s," Kiffin told Vols Wire on the SEC teleconference Wednesday. "I just was kind of enamored with it for awhile and started to study some of it and use some it at Alabama. I just said, 'Alright, if I get a head job again, this is what I want to do'.

"It really is amazing the system and credit to Art Briles because all three of those teams are the top rushing teams in the country. You look at the SEC, where some people listening to us are saying, are great rushing teams, and they're really not. I give a ton of credit to Art Briles."

His only success as head coach? Lol. The dude went 8-5 and 10-2 his first two seasons at USC, despite them being ineligible to play for a conference championship or in a bowl game due to NCAA penalties. Then he got cocky, let his success despite adverse circumstances go to his head as young coaches often do (see: Tom Herman), and consequently lost his team. I bet he won't be making that mistake again. He also went 23-3 as OC at USC under a head coach that only had a defensive background. Like him or not, Lane is going to be just fine without low IQ Lebby. You can expect him to make some changes to his offensive system before next season because Aranda and Roberts taught every defensive coach in the country how to shut down the Briles system, and there is no doubt that Kiffin recognizes this fact.

How ironic that Baylor -- the school that made Art Briles and his offensive system famous -- is also the same school that showed the world how to stop it.

Do you actually watch football, or do you just search for positive articles about your husband and daddy, Staley?
Robert Wilson
Good grief. Don't pretend that stopping lebby is equivalent to stopping CAB. You can't be that stupid.
boykin_spaniel
I'd take Aranda over Kiffin but doesn't mean Kiffin is a bad coach. He's matured a bit since his turbulent Knoxville exit and abandonment on a tarmac. One sign of a good coach is a willingness to update their X's and O's, which Kiffin did.
Kiffin is still an immature loudmouth but that doesn't always prevent you from being a good coach if you manage your personality right. Ole Miss is not a cakewalk of a job either.
Timbear
There's only one Offensive Genius, Art Briles, who had a big hand in changing College and Pro football…and beating his kinfolk doesn't mean you beat Art.
Jack Bauer
WTH is going on here??

ImABearToo
Scheme or no scheme, I still contend Arts success was more based on the track stars he put at WR and the beasts he had at RB. QB's talent not withstanding.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Robert Wilson
OL play
BUBear24
Robert Wilson said:

OL play

Up until Mateos is why I really missed Randy pretty much more than any other coach.
Robert Wilson
BUBear24 said:

Robert Wilson said:

OL play

Up until Mateos is why I really missed Randy pretty much more than any other coach.
Same
The Claw
Jack Bauer said:

WTH is going on here??

Would x 43.
HarryMehre
Those Kiffin boys have never shied away from the high school girls.

His brother Chris sent OT recruit Laremy Tunsil's 16 year old girlfriend something like 850 texts as he was recruiting Tunsil. Giving her and his brother scholarships to Ole Miss were major points in getting Tunsil to come to Ole Miss.

Of course, Hugh Freeze probably regrets the Tunsil recruitment after being at NFL Draft day.
BUGWBBear
Jack Bauer said:

WTH is going on here??

"I keep getting older and they stay the same age."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.