Baylor Football

"It's Done": Dave Aranda's new Baylor contract is finished per AD Rhoades

February 2, 2022

Dating back to the final weeks of the 2021 calendar year, Baylor Vice President and Director of Athletics Mack Rhoades has remained adamant that head football coach Dave Aranda’s “contract enhancement” was being finalized. With nearly two months of water under the bridge and no official or unofficial announcement surfacing, however, speculation continued to make its rounds.

On Tuesday, Rhoades once again affirmed the progress with SicEm365 Radio, this time saying that the contract has been completed.

“I'll take it one step further than maybe a week ago,” Rhoades said. “We're just looking for the right date, but Baylor family can can rest easy. It's done.

“We'll provide a few more details at the right date.”

John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports
Dave Aranda led Baylor to its first 12-win season in program history.

According to Rhoades, the initial conversations with Aranda, the former LSU defensive coordinator and fan favorite in Baton Rouge, began when it was announced that former LSU head coach Ed Oregeron would not return for the 2022 season. 

And that’s where any concern that Aranda would have an interest in leaving Baylor was squashed.

“Actually, it was really the Sunday after LSU announced that that that Oergeron would not be coming back,” Rhoades said. “We had that conversation and some subsequent conversations, but he told me right off the bat he wasn't going anywhere and I take him for his word.

“He's one of the people certainly in my life that I take for his word.”

“And that's his mindset and that's where we are. ‘I'm going to be here. I'm going to be the head football coach at Baylor for hopefully a long time and nothing more needs to be said.’”

So why the delay? There have been a variety of factors, but primarily because Aranda was set on avoiding distractions at all cost. The Bears were in the midst of a run to the program’s third Big 12 Championship, a Sugar Bowl victory and the first 12-win season in program history.

“If he had his way there would be no conversation about it. There would be no declaration that it's done. There would be no formal announcement. And it's not because he doesn't understand that it's important, but it's because it's not about him.”

To a lesser extent, there were also the factors of the typical head coaching contract change and a variety of other “parallel paths” that led to getting the contract finalized.

“But at the same time working with Coach Aranda, and his agent, and as you can imagine, a head coaches contract is more complicated. And there's different buckets of compensation, whether it's employment or licensing or deferred, and there's tax implications.”

Aranda was also tasked with replacing three on-field coaches during that time frame. The final of the three to be filled, the wide receivers position, was completed on Friday with the addition Dallas Baker from the University of Buffalo.

Aranda was also working ahead of the curve to keep the other major pieces of his assistant tree together. 

“You're trying to be proactive, and do things because you know that other people will be interested in services (of the assistants). And we had— I'm trying to think out loud here — three leave from the 10 on field and those weren't the only three that were contacted, and people wanting the services.

“To answer your question, that was a big part of it. And I think we did a really good job of being proactive, and working on those things.”

“I hope the Baylor family is excited because he's a heck of a person, and a heck of a coach.”
- Baylor AD Mack Rhoades

Being proactive was also part of the game plan for Rhoades as he attracted and is now retaining Aranda. Led by Rhoades, Baylor is set to break ground on the Fudge Football Operations Center this spring, a key piece to the future of the football program in Waco. 

The $80 million project will include 100,000+ square feet of new space for the Baylor Football program including offices for coaches, equipment staff, medical trainers and a locker room for student-athletes, as well as a medical training room, equipment distribution room, a strength and conditioning weight room and a large team meeting room.

The facility was an integral element in the continuing elevation coming off of a stretch of 12 seasons where the program won three Big 12 Championships, six double-digit win seasons, a Heisman and Biletnikoff Trophy, three Big 12 Defensive Player of the Years, two Big 12 Offensive Players of the Years and registering eight consensus All-Americans. 

It has been the best run in the history of the small private university in Central Texas. Now it’s time for Aranda to continue and build on the the success.

“I hope the Baylor family is excited because he's a heck of a person, and a heck of a coach.”

Discussion from...

"It's Done": Dave Aranda's new Baylor contract is finished per AD Rhoades

22,794 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stefano DiMera
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GIDDY UP !!!
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BearlyBeloved
I guess it was 4th down, so CDA had to go for it!

Stranger
blah, blah, blah.

Put up or shut up.
I'm a Bearbacker
bearmission8
Great news. Thank you for the update. Baylor is truly blessed to have CDA. What a humble person. Love the man.
Timbear
The Contract is finished, but has he signed it?
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
Timbear said:

"Just waiting on a date"

Not done until it's signed. Strange that he's announced that the contract is done before it being signed. I mean why even give us that news, shouldn't take too long to sign if it's in fact complete.
Stranger
TinFoilHatPreacherBear said:

Timbear said:

"Just waiting on a date"

Not done until it's signed. Strange that he's announced that the contract is done before it being signed. I mean why even give us that news, shouldn't take too long to sign if it's in fact complete.

just more fake news
I'm a Bearbacker
RedBear05
What I want to believe is Aranda is the type of leader that wants all the ducks under his leadership in a row (team and coaching staff) before drawing attention to his own needs. What I'm thinking he's thinking is trying to be a self-less leader.

No, I don't want to discuss my contract while we're trying to finish the season.
No, I don't want to discuss my contract while I'm trying to finalize this recruiting class,
No, I don't want to discuss my contract while we're trying to fill coaching vacancies.

I'm sure the conversations were not that curt and I can see the counter point that maybe some of those tasks could have been helped from a perception standpoint by formalizing and signing the contract first but there's no "right way" to do this.

He's here, he's doing everything I'd expect of someone who wants to be here and he's turned down other parties trying to get him to leave. At the end of the day any contract he sign's isn't going to stop someone with lots of money from making him an offer if he continues to show his value as a head coach.

I'm just going to enjoy he's time here and not worry about his future.
McCavebear
Stranger said:

blah, blah, blah.

Put up or shut up.
Why don't you shut up Aunt Bee? All you got is "blah, blah blah". You know nothing. *

We got a great coach under contract. Big 12 Championship , Sugar Bowl Champs and fabulous recruits.

Lots to be excited about in Baylor Athletics.

*Drag your old lady ass over to Txags where your negativity regarding Baylor will be embraced.

McCavebear Lives!
BleacherBum95
Zzzzzzzzzzzz
McCavebear
Coach Aranda has signed a contract with Baylor

What's not to like?
McCavebear Lives!
Timbear
I guess some are wondering if he's signed the new contract. If so, great.
Forest Bueller_bf
Millions of dollars a year is a great incentive to stay at Baylor and Waco.

As is the success Baylor can and will have in the Big 12.

You knew almost right off the bat Rhule wasn't staying and wasn't part of
the long term mission at Baylor.

I'm not sure Aranda isn't about the Baylor mission and may be a long
time coach here. He seems to have the temperament and demeanor
to fit in at Baylor.

One thing for sure, he is a darn good coach.

We will see what happens.
parch
"If he had his way there would be no conversation about it. There would be no declaration that it's done. There would be no formal announcement. And it's not because he doesn't understand that it's important, but it's because it's not about him."

What an absolute legend.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
McCavebear said:

What's not to like?
Well Aranda hadn't signed it at the time of his statement.
McCavebear

McCavebear said:

What's not to like?
You sure about that Chief?

You know Baylor is not a government school like tamu and ut.

Neither Baylor nor Aranda has to reveal the details of a contract. It's date of signing or anything else of detail.
McCavebear Lives!
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
McCavebear said:

McCavebear said:

What's not to like?

Neither Baylor nor Aranda has to reveal the details of a contract. It's date of signing or anything else of detail.
Hey there big chief, if you'd read it, Mac's own words are: "Just waiting on a date". I guess he could have had a signed contract without dates, but that'd be rather odd and not worth mentioning. But you being the smart guy here, maybe you can figure out what he meant and report back. TIA.
McCavebear

McCavebear said:

McCavebear said:

What's not to like?

Hey there big chief, if you'd read it, Mac's own words are: "Just waiting on a date". I guess he could have had a signed contract without dates, but that'd be rather odd and not worth mentioning. But you being the smart guy here, maybe you can figure out what he meant and report back. TIA.
Looks like you were wrong Chief.. Contract had been signed for weeks. Now you will have to find something else to be unhappy about. Ha! I trust you will. You're welcome!
McCavebear Lives!
BleacherBum95
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
McCavebear said:

McCavebear said:

McCavebear said:

What's not to like?

Looks like you were wrong Chief.. Contract had been signed for weeks. Now you will have to find something else to be unhappy about. Ha! I trust you will. You're welcome!
OK Chief. Mack's own words are it's done, we're just looking for a date. If you think he meant a date to announce it, after he had just announced it, then I get it, you're a really smart guy. Everyone else had no clue what he meant other than getting it signed. Apparently, Mack after publicly announcing that the contract was done in the original article, he went on to say that he had to find a date ... which was for apparently announcing that it was in fact dated and signed ... while then also announcing that some details may or may not follow at a future date. Strangest set of announcements ever, but Mack can do what he wants.

And despite your comment, I'm not one of the perennially unhappy posters. Although I do have a low threshold for low IQ posters when I have to respond to stupid stuff. But if I take Mack at his word at this point, which I do, yes I was wrong. I'm glad that I was. I'm happy that it's done and they're actually confirming it publicly. As other people have pointed out elsewhere, getting and announcing the contract was signed and completed, while just a formality to some of you, it is something we should be doing loudly and proudly as part of our PR.

McCavebear

McCavebear said:

McCavebear said:

McCavebear said:

What's not to like?

OK Chief. Mack's own words are it's done, we're just looking for a date. If you think he meant a date to announce it, after he had just announced it, then I get it, you're a really smart guy. Everyone else had no clue what he meant other than getting it signed. Apparently, Mack after publicly announcing that the contract was done in the original article, he went on to say that he had to find a date ... which was for apparently announcing that it was in fact dated and signed ... while then also announcing that some details may or may not follow at a future date. Strangest set of announcements ever, but Mack can do what he wants.

And despite your comment, I'm not one of the perennially unhappy posters. Although I do have a low threshold for low IQ posters when I have to respond to stupid stuff. But if I take Mack at his word at this point, which I do, yes I was wrong. I'm glad that I was. I'm happy that it's done and they're actually confirming it publicly. As other people have pointed out elsewhere, getting and announcing the contract was signed and completed, while just a formality to some of you, it is something we should be doing loudly and proudly as part of our PR.

Trust the AD until you have reason not to trust him. He brought Aranda to Baylor in the first place right?
As far as PR goes, maybe you can trade your foil hat for a PR hat and help us out Chief!

Just kidding.! Baylor athletics is doing fine without your advice.

McCavebear Lives!
terrel.tayshaun
There would be no declaration that it's done. There would be no formal announcement.
Speed Test
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
McCavebear said:

McCavebear said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trust the AD until you have reason not to trust him. He brought Aranda to Baylor in the first place right?
As far as PR goes, maybe you can trade your foil hat for a PR hat and help us out Chief!

Just kidding.! Baylor athletics is doing fine without your advice.

I'll trust Mack to be clearer next time. Making an official announcement that "it's done, we just need to find a date" and then weeks later having to make another announcement that it was done 3 weeks ago is bad communication. One clear announcement usually suffices, but hey Mack's a good AD so I'm glad he got it done.

As for trust, I trusted that Aranda wanted to be here and trusted his word probably more than Mack's. Was just waiting for a clear announcement, and we got it.
McCavebear
terrel.tayshaun said:

There would be no declaration that it's done. There would be no formal announcement.
Yep. Pretty clear.

Sic 'em!
McCavebear Lives!
Stefano DiMera
Just announced..deal till 2029.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.