Football
Sponsored by

Bears open vs Albany

6,587 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
Shakesbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SIC EM 94 said:

Thanks a lot La Tech!
Yeah, sucks that LA Tech bailed on us, but this one game will probably cover the Dane's athletic budget. We once wore the same shoe on the other foot
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5
historian
boognish_bear said:

Having BYU scheduled in Provo the following week should help keep the schedule b@tching from other fanbases at a minimum. Hardly any P5 schools schedule more than one opponent with a pulse in non-con.

Although....our long tradition of scheduling cream puffs will probably have casual outsiders saying here they go again. Oh well....beat BYU on the road the following week and any talk about Albany will soon disappear.

There will always be people complaining, even from Baylor fans. Last year we had more wins over ranked teams than just about anyone else, including Bama, & we still had done if it. (Although most of that complaining was in September before those great wins)
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
whitetrash
Expect this one to end up on the ESPN+ app, which has 2 silver linings:

1. It fulfills our contractual obligation to put a game there, which is better than sticking one of our better games there.

2. It would allow us to control kickoff time. Better to be able for BU to schedule a 6pm or 7pm start with it 95 and cooling off than have ESPN dictate we play at 11am on ESPNU where it starts at 88 and goes to 102 by the end of the game.
Timbear
Let's play All P5 games, while the SEC rigs their schedules by playing 8 conference games, 3 cupcake non conf games with 1 other non conf P5 game. Would that make some folks happier?
parch
Jack Bauer said:

This game is gonna be on The Ocho!

It could be on ESPN 1,924 and the production value will still be better than our Texas State game last year.
Robert Wilson
Timbear said:

Let's play All P5 games, while the SEC rigs their schedules by playing 8 conference games, 3 cupcake non conf games with 1 other non conf P5 game. Would that make some folks happier?
You're right. It's either play Albany or all P5.
boykin_spaniel
Albany might want to try and recruit some dudes from their lacrosse team for this game.
Definitely not the game I'll be attending this year but Mack was in a tough spot. I'm sure he fielded calls from numerous FCS teams, while doing what he could to find a P5 team to play.
Timbear
Ok, Robert, I did post a bit of an exaggeration, but my point was that everyone criticizing Mack for scheduling Albany really doesn't know how hard it was to even get Baylor a 12th game.
Robert Wilson
Timbear said:

Ok, Robert, I did post a bit of an exaggeration, but my point was that everyone criticizing Mack for scheduling Albany really doesn't know how hard it was to even get Baylor a 12th game.
Fair point

Sounds like the main problem was how we set up La Tech
Hob Howelll
My understanding is that Mack's ideal nonconference schedule is FCS team, lower tier G5, upper tier G5.
historian
That's ridiculous & irrelevant. The Big 12 requires every team to schedule at least one P5.
Hob Howelll
historian said:

That's ridiculous & irrelevant. The Big 12 requires every team to schedule at least one P5.

Didn't realize that. Which p5 OOC game did we play last year?
historian
BYU counted as P5
ScottS
What's the point spread on the Albany game?
timetraveler
Jack Bauer said:

On par with a 6A Texas HS team.

6A high school would have people attending their games though
historian
6A HS teams don't play D1 P5 teams. They have fans attending who expect them to win.
historian
UAlbany football getting big payday for Baylor game:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-getting-big-payday-for-Baylor-16925031.php
ScottS
historian said:

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-getting-big-payday-for-Baylor-16925031.php

"I think for our football program and our student-athletes, it's a chance to be on that national stage with an opportunity to play a team that we're not supposed to beat, but it's an exciting opportunity for our student-athletes," Benson said. "It's a big boost to our brand and UAlbany athletics. And the financial piece is important to our athletic department as well. So it all aligns."

The guarantee will cover the team's charter flight to Waco, Texas and hotel, with whatever is left over shared between the football program and the overall athletic department, according to Benson.
whitetrash
ScottS said:

historian said:

The guarantee will cover the team's charter flight to Waco, Texas and hotel, with whatever is left over shared between the football program and the overall athletic department, according to Benson.
But will it cover the coach's wives' shopping trip to Magnolia?
historian
That's the coaches problems!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.