Football
Sponsored by

Bohanon in the Transfer Portal

16,367 Views | 147 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gohogs14
hodedofome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wonder where he'll end up.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/baylor-qb-gerry-bohanon-enters-transfer-portal-after-losing-starting-job-171645903.html
JP1037
Just saw that...

https://247sports.com/Article/Baylor-football-Bears-QB-Gerry-Bohanon-enters-NCAA-transfer-portal-186825698/

I feel bad for him. He was a great player and a warrior. He was always positive and pro Baylor. Its a business so I get the decision by Aranda but I hate it for Gerry.
IowaBear
All the best to him. Guessing he ends up at a solid G5 program
EatMoreSalmon
Did he feel he was down to 3rd? I doubt that Shapen will be able to take every snap for a full year. He's already coming off injury.
hodedofome
EatMoreSalmon said:

Did he feel he was down to 3rd? I doubt that Shapen will be able to take every snap for a full year. He's already coming off injury.
That's what I'm thinking. The staff may have told him he could be QB3 once the fall rolls around.
EvilTroyAndAbed
hodedofome said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

That's what I'm thinking. The staff may have told him he could be QB3 once the fall rolls around.

Would you waste your final year of eligibility on the chance that the starting QB gets hurt?
parch
IowaBear said:

All the best to him. Guessing he ends up at a solid G5 program
I'd be surprised if it wasn't a P5. Arizona State and UCF both seem like possible destinations right now.

I'm really impressed with how Aranda and staff handled this all the way around. They made the decision quickly enough to both install Shapen as the no-doubt starter well ahead of summer practice, while also giving GB the opportunity to transfer prior to camp with plenty of time to integrate into a new system. Wish nothing but the best for GB, always seemed like a really good dude.
Stefano DiMera
He's got 2 yrs left. He redshirted 2018 and still has a Covid year.
Enenimms
EatMoreSalmon said:

It makes me think GB may be QB3 to get in the transfer portal also. I believe GB can start at any G5 school this fall and select P5 schools. He must think he has a shot at getting in the NFL to get in the transfer portal. Does this open another scholarship spot this fall for this staff to get a safety, WR and RB?

All the best wishes for GB and thankful for his loyalty behind Brewer and to Baylor. Lots of good memories of him on the field slicing and dicing OU with his legs. Hopefully all Baylor fans remember the positive stuff and don't dwell on the negatives.
blackie
I have always been perplexed by the QB position on a team. Yes, they touch the ball on every play but so does the center, although in a different light. Every other position rotates players to some degree. Grant had great success with using a QB shuffle. The position is just too prone to injury to basically tell a guy that he will not get snaps unless the started gets hurt. That is how you end up with depth problems. But, perhaps here he was told he was third. That is a different situation all together. I guess for him it was QB or nothing.

But, it is kind of like the situation in FP softball. Two pitchers is not enough and three are too many.
Presham3
Very seriously doubt he was demoted to QB3….RS and a walk-on is not ideal knowing Shapen's injury history. But unless they bring in a portal QB that's where we'll be come fall
Russell Gym
And so ends my hope for a LA-Monroe two QB package. That would have been fun to see Grimes develop that for a change-up.
hodedofome
Russell Gym said:

And so ends my hope for a LA-Monroe two QB package. That would have been fun to see Grimes develop that for a change-up.
Running a 2 QB system is a great way to lose to a team like Liberty.
PartyBear
Perhaps home to Arkansas under K Briles?
Jorkel
PartyBear said:

I don't think he wants to sit behind KJ Jefferson either.
Russell Gym
hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

Im not suggesting a "two QB system." I'm referring to a very specific two QB package that LA-Monroe ran against us for a limited number of plays when Bennett was the DC. It's not the entire offense, just a specific personnel package, like a heavy short yardage or an empty look. Not a "system."
hodedofome
Russell Gym said:

hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

Im not suggesting a "two QB system." I'm referring to a very specific two QB package that LA-Monroe ran against us for a limited number of plays when Bennett was the DC. It's not the entire offense, just a specific personnel package, like a heavy short yardage or an empty look. Not a "system."
I have a really good joke going here about the worst loss in Baylor's history. Don't screw it up man.
Jorkel
hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

I have a really good joke going here about the worst loss in Baylor's history. Don't screw it up man.

It was actually pretty funny reading the end of the world posts from everyone on here.
Presham3
Post don't sound "end of the world" …. Just people commenting on the decision. Which was probably the best football decision for the program. Coaches get paid to make these decisions and we pay money to comment on there decisions
Mitch Henessey
Russell Gym said:

hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

That package was actually illegal to run, at least the way that ULM ran it, which is why they stopped running it after about 2 series.

The QB receiving the snap would run a zone read with the other QB, but the ball was handed off forward, meaning the other QB wouldn't subsequently be allowed to throw a pass legally. I suspect our coaching staff alerted the refs, who realized they screwed up and told ULM if they ran it again, they'd get flagged for an illegal forward pass

It really was an ingenious wrinkle, though, if you know the refs or the other team won't catch it.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Stefano DiMera said:

He's got 2 yrs left. He redshirted 2018 and still has a Covid year.
Ok, so he'd waste 2 years. He doesn't need to wait around hoping Shapen gets hurt.
Jorkel
Presham3 said:

Post don't sound "end of the world" …. Just people commenting on the decision. Which was probably the best football decision for the program. Coaches get paid to make these decisions and we pay money to comment on there decisions

No when we lost to Liberty
EvilTroyAndAbed
PartyBear said:

Arkansas isn't home. Arkansas State or Memphis would be home.
Russell Gym
Mitch Henessey said:

Russell Gym said:

hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

That package was actually illegal to run, at least the way that ULM ran it, which is why they stopped running it after about 2 series.

The QB receiving the snap would run a zone read with the other QB, but the ball was handed off forward, meaning the other QB wouldn't subsequently be allowed to throw a pass legally. I suspect our coaching staff alerted the refs, who realized they screwed up and told ULM if they ran it again, they'd get flagged for an illegal forward pass

It really was an ingenious wrinkle, though, if you know the refs or the other team won't catch it.

Yeah, it's a problematic personnel package for a defense. LA-Monroe didn't have an entire offense designed around it, so they went back to their base offense when exposed. You wouldn't want to stay in it for extended drives, since the package would be very limited. But it can cause problems, for sure.
Russell Gym
hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

Sorry, dude, I wasn't reading for a joke. I'll try to do better next time.
FLBear5630
PartyBear said:

Briles? No way, Briles throws a ton.

He needs to go to a run 70% of the time place with a very good D. Maybe another D minded coach that doesn't mind limited touches and plays for field position.

Hate to see him leave and end up sitting there....
FLBear5630
hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

Stefano DiMera
Arizona St I would think is a front runner for him.

OC there is Glenn Thomas..former QB coach at Temple with Rhule and co-OC at Baylor with Jeff Nixon.
Johnny Bear
Hate to see him not finish his college football career at BU, but wish the best for him. Will always respect the perseverance and patience he showed while working toward earning the starting job and moreover getting us in position to win a conference title - which puts him in elite historic company with the other relatively few BU QBs that also accomplished that feat.
FLBear5630
Stefano DiMera said:

Arizona St I would think is a front runner for him.

OC there is Glenn Thomas..former QB coach at Temple with Rhule and co-OC at Baylor with Jeff Nixon.
That is a good call if he helped recruit him. What does their depth chart look like? ASU is not an also-ran, they get some pretty good talent through Tempe.

They just got a Transfer from Bama. JR.
Olympia3
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

hodedofome said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

Would you waste your final year of eligibility on the chance that the starting QB gets hurt?

He has 2 years eligibility. If he transfers before may 1 he is immediately eligible elsewhere for 2022.
bear2be2
hodedofome said:

Russell Gym said:

One won a national title at Florida.
bear2be2
RMF5630 said:

PartyBear said:

Briles? No way, Briles throws a ton.

He needs to go to a run 70% of the time place with a very good D. Maybe another D minded coach that doesn't mind limited touches and plays for field position.

Hate to see him leave and end up sitting there....
Sitting is a certainty if he stays. Gerry bet on himself at Baylor when everyone was crowning Zeno, and it worked out alright. As long as he lands in the right system/situation, I'll bet this does as well.
EvilTroyAndAbed
Olympia3 said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

hodedofome said:

EatMoreSalmon said:

He has 2 years eligibility. If he transfers before may 1 he is immediately eligible elsewhere for 2022.

Steve Martin was a prop comic.
Bleed Green
Go get 'em Gerry! Excited for him. I don't feel sorry for him, this will make him better in so many ways as he further learns to deal with adversity and still succeed. I have no doubt he will land on his feet and do just fine. Thrilled our program is in a position for this to happen!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.