Football
Sponsored by

Texas fan is wondering if it's too late to get out of that whole #SEC thing

4,919 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BUGWBBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Doc Holliday
The ship has sailed.

That's what they get for having unwarranted arrogance.

LagunaBear
Yep. I'm wondering how long teams big name teams are going to be excited about making $100M a year while going 5-7. Just think about. Half of those teams must end the season with average or below average records. There's a point where the fans will stop watching. I mean, it wasn't long ago when we tried to offer UT our tarp.
Beaneater
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sec+shorts+texas+exit+sec&docid=607989351620611081&mid=CD5414B7B7565D4077D7CD5414B7B7565D4077D7&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

SEC shorts has the answer.
2:29 of pure gold
LagunaBear
Beaneater said:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sec+shorts+texas+exit+sec&docid=607989351620611081&mid=CD5414B7B7565D4077D7CD5414B7B7565D4077D7&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

SEC shorts has the answer.
2:29 of pure gold

LOL!!!
PartyBear
I actually have pondered whether Texas dragging its feet on leaving for the SEC (they have the money to do it this afternoon if they want) has to do with them second guessing being so rash last summer and thinking this new XII isnt a bad place to be, thinking maybe going independent is better, or thinking maybe we are a better fit in the BiG. Lets face it Texas will make big money wherever they are because they are the ticket for big money wherever they go. I think perhaps their new President and administration did get excited and jumped the gun over last summer and they kind of realize that now.

Many Texas people I have spoken with have told me that the new XII did a good job and is now solid and is the clear number 3 behind the new SEC and BiG
vanillabryce
They're dragging… why are they dragging? Because they'd get dragged by the SEC, as hard or harder than they got dragged by the B12 this season.
JustWinBears
I'd rather them not drag down the new big 12, they are quite irrelevant now in terms of competition. The only thing Texas is good for is eyes on the screen, which I think the new big 12 will do enough to replace that to an extent. The competition in football is going to be fantastic and in basketball it's gonna be top tier.
Redbrickbear
Doc Holliday said:

The ship has sailed.

Hope their arrogant alumni and room temp intellect t-shirt fans enjoy an eternity of 8 win seasons.
ImABearToo
Burn baby burn.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
Squatch Hunter
gobears20 said:

No, Bye.
Squatch Hunter
Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

The ship has sailed.

Hope their arrogant alumni and room temp intellect t-shirt fans enjoy an eternity of 8 win seasons.
8? I don't see 8 wins for them
contrario
I think the move is bad for them and it's bad for college football as a whole. But if the idea is that we are moving to around 30 teams in a "professional" division of college football, it's a smart move. Because if it is 30+/- teams competing for the playoff spots, it doesn't matter if teams are hovering around an average of 6-7 wins per season. As long as you get a few 8-10 win seasons sprinkled in, you will be in the playoffs those seasons (see the NFL).

I'm not sure we will get to that professional division anytime soon, but it seems that's the way everything is headed and it's only a matter of time before the haves and have nots start to separate. It might first start with two 30(ish)-team divisions (effectively most of the P5 schools), but it's eventually going to get to the point where not everyone in those divisions can keep up.

I could see schools like Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Colorado and other current mediocre schools not want to play the professional game and return to an amateur league.
Bear8084
gobears20 said:

Well he doesn't sound very optimistic!
blackie
Has the ship sailed?........I sure hope it has.

And concerning the 30-team league and if Baylor is not a part of that.....well, I'll pay as much attention to that league as I pay to the NFL.....which ain't a lot. The only thing that matters to me is that you compete with your peers. We, and everyone in the new Big XII is never going to be considered "blue blood" (hate that term). We all have our good points and our weak points, but we will be peers and no reason for any of us to look down on anyone else in the league. The cancer has been removed. Don't bring it back.
Stefano DiMera
Yes...were 10 years away from that..when the last of the current TV contracts expire.
historian
Redbrickbear said:

Doc Holliday said:

The ship has sailed.

Or less
historian
Squatch Hunter said:

gobears20 said:

No, Bye.

Don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way out!
blackie
I suspect a large part of their reasoning was that the Big XII would implode. They could leave immediately without any financial or other requirements on their part. Their arrogance this time bit them in the butt. Texas is now moving to a new conference where in the major sports they will be looked on by the current elite in the SEC as they looked on (usually unjustifiably) so many in our conference........a likely win. Yeah, the school may get more money, but the fan doesn't see any of that. All they care about is winning, something they are going to see way less than they did in the Big XII. Good riddance!
saabing bear
Back in the early 60's when I was knee high to a Nehi there were many UT fans clamoring to establish a conference that consisted of the best teams in the region. Their reasoning was, "Why should teams like Texas and Arkansas have to play Baylor, SMU, and Rice when they could be playing OU, LSU, and Alabama?" Texas getting a lead in an SWC game prompted yells of "Super Conference, Super Conference!"

Fortunately enough cowheads with a brain were around to realize that when all the top teams played each other every year they weren't all going to be top teams anymore. More UT (and OU) people should have pointed out much sooner that the SEC move was a really bad idea for reasons of both competition and tradition.
buchasur
I'm not sure we will get to that professional division anytime soon, but it seems that's the way everything is headed and it's only a matter of time before the haves and have nots start to separate. feedback survey breakfast hours
DanaDane
Every school thinks it is a Have, even when they are obviously a Have Not in the eyes of everyone else.
Robert Wilson
Bye, Felicia
gobears20
Staff
McCavebear
gobears20 said:

This post is GOLD
McCavebear Lives!
historian
I really do hope they Kansas can get back to back wins this year. It would be a extra special if thy could win in Norman too but that is almost impossible.
gobears20
Staff
McCavebear said:

gobears20 said:

This post is GOLD
You can't make this stuff up lolol
BU84BEAR
LagunaBear said:

Yep. I'm wondering how long teams big name teams are going to be excited about making $100M a year while going 5-7. Just think about. Half of those teams must end the season with average or below average records. There's a point where the fans will stop watching. I mean, it wasn't long ago when we tried to offer UT our tarp.

That is what the 4 Out of Conference Games are for, to get to 7 or 8 wins, yes but in the SEC!!. Aggy equivalent of winning the Big 12, or sharing Alabama's national championship.
Fre3dombear
BU84BEAR said:

LagunaBear said:

That is what the 4 Out of Conference Games are for, to get to 7 or 8 wins, yes but in the SEC!!. Aggy equivalent of winning the Big 12, or sharing Alabama's national championship.

It really is impossible for those teams to ever go < 8-4 if they have a pulse and some talent which the big teams can now buy
historian
Some SEC teams end the year below 0.500 & are not bowl eligible. It happens every year, especially to teams in the east division like SC, Vandy, & Kentucky.
LagunaBear
Fair point that it's pretty hard to have a losing record overall because you only need 2 conference wins (although Texas has managed to go 5-7 four times in about the last 12 years).

However, half of them still must have average to below average records in conference, and therefore, slide into irrelevancy sometime in October. I think that's going to affect fan support. UT has already had trouble filling their stadium when they aren't great.
Fre3dombear
historian said:

Some SEC teams end the year below 0.500 & are not bowl eligible. It happens every year, especially to teams in the east division like SC, Vandy, & Kentucky.

No doubt. Those teams wouldn't generally fall into the category I outlined

Same for Texas
ABC BEAR
gobears20 said:

If that 'shelf' were mine, it would be holding nachos and a cold beer.
historian
Fre3dombear said:

historian said:

No doubt. Those teams wouldn't generally fall into the category I outlined

Same for Texas

Yep. Texas is almost there now. I don't see their situation improving after they make the move.
historian
Maybe that's part of the reason the shelf is there!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.