Story Poster
Photo by Baylor University
Baylor Football

80 Days till Kickoff: Southwest Conference Champion 1980 Baylor Bears

June 15, 2022

As always, keep track of both the stats and roster countdowns in the Offseason Hub!

The 1980 Baylor Bears were Southwestern Conference champions for the fifth time in Baylor history thanks to a 10-2 record and going undefeated in conference play. Coached by Grant Teaff and led by Mike Singletary and the stifling defense, the Bears made it all the way to No. 6 in the rankings and a Cotton Bowl matchup with No. 9 Alabama.

While the Bears would lose the bowl 30-2, the green and gold enjoyed many great win that year. They doubled up Houston 24-12. They won a battle with SMU 32-28. They went into College Station and demolished the Aggies 46-7, before visiting Fort Worth to beat TCU 21-6. A huge 42-15 win over Arkansas set the stage for the beautiful 16-0 shutout of the Texas Longhorns in Waco to end the regular season.

The only blemish on the Bears’ record before the bowl came at the hand of San Jose State. Baylor lost that contest in Waco 30-22.

Aside from All-American, Davey O'Brien Memorial Trophy winner, future Super Bowl winner and NFL Hall of Famer Mike Singletary, the green and gold sported some other outstanding players. Receivers Robert Holt and Mike Fisher as well as linebacker Doak Field and guard Frank Ditta were taken in the 1981 NFL Draft. One of Baylor’s all-time great running backs, Walter Abercrombie led the offense.

To my knowledge, Baylor has not gone undefeated in conference play since 1980. That team was the first Baylor Football team to reach double-digit wins, and another interesting note: Texas proceeded to not get shut out for another 24 years after the Bears held them scoreless.

Discussion from...

80 Days till Kickoff: Southwest Conference Champion 1980 Baylor Bears

4,549 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?

"Who needs a quarterback?!"

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Fre3dombear
Black unis

Briles

Legendary

All that "scandal" amounted to zero days in jail from what Texas Monthky reported for anyone that played for Baylor

The greatest cancel in college football history!

That's when you know you're legit
Johnny Bear
Per the subject of the thread, I remember that 1980 team well. What a fun, exciting season. Went undefeated in conference play for the only time we've ever done it in the modern era. Along the way curb stomped the aggys in their house 46-7 (and it could've been worse had Teaff not liberally played his bench), curb stomped Arky, and shut out UT for one of the rare times in their football history that an opponent held them scoreless. Had we not blown the non-con game to San Jose State we would've had a shot at a Natty going into the Cotton Bowl game. Fun times.
historian
historian
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.