Story Poster
Photo by Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

58 Days till Kickoff: Baylor’s Epic Victory over TCU 61-58

July 7, 2022

As always, keep track of both the stats and roster countdowns in the Offseason Hub!

On October 11th, 2014, the No. 9 TCU Horned Frogs (4-0) traveled down I-35 to face off in a monumental matchup with the No. 5 Baylor Bears (5-0). Although it was the 110th meeting between the two schools, it was the first-ever time that TCU and Baylor were both ranked when they played each other.

Despite Oklahoma and Texas facing off in the Red River Rivalry the same Saturday, the Revivalry between TCU and Baylor was the Big 12 game of the week. Leading up to the showdown, it had the potential to be one of the largest games in program history. TCU was coming off of an upset win over No. 3 Oklahoma, while Baylor was riding a 12-game winning home streak and playing in their first-ever conference game in the newly opened McLane Stadium. 

At that time, BU was relatively new to the national stage, the high rankings, and the title talk. The Bears' thrilling 61-58 victory over the rival Horned Frogs was a statement win for the school, and it established Baylor as a top-notch football program for years to come.

Although the game went back and forth in the first half, TCU looked to be pulling away early in the fourth quarter after Bryce Petty threw a pick-six to extend the Horned Frogs' lead to 58-37. That didn’t deter the Bears, however. Petty led the offense back down the field in only 59 seconds to cut the deficit to a two-score lead. On the ensuing drive, Petty connected with Antwan Goodley for a 28-yard touchdown to close in on the TCU lead, 58-51.

The Green and Gold’s defense stood strong and picked up a huge three and out, allowing Petty and company to get the ball back with 5:30 remaining on the clock. Two catches from KD Cannon and a Shock Linwood run set the Bears up on the TCU 25 with 4:48 remaining. The next play, featured below, sent McLane Stadium into a frenzy. Star wideout Corey Coleman blew by his man and hauled in a perfectly placed touch pass from Petty to tie the game at 58 apiece, erasing what was once a 21-point deficit. 

After throwing two interceptions earlier in the game, Bryce Petty bounced back by willing the Bears back into the game in the fourth quarter. He threw for a then career-high 510 yards and six touchdowns on the night. 

In their final drive, TCU moved past midfield to face a fourth and three from the Baylor 45 with 1:17 left. Instead of electing to punt, Gary Patterson took two timeouts to ultimately decide they wanted to try and end the game in regulation with a Horned Frog field goal or touchdown.

Trevone Boykin tossed up a jump ball towards the right sideline to star receiver Josh Docston, but he was unable to come up with the ball after an outstanding play from Baylor defensive back Ryan Reid. 

Baylor took over with 1:11 left on the clock, and as they say, the rest is history. An interference call and some tough running from Linwood put the Bears on the TCU 11-yard line with three seconds left to set up Chris Callahan, the 5-foot-9, 185-pound redshirt freshman kicker. Callahan put the ball right through the uprights, and the Baylor fans stormed the field to celebrate the biggest win in program history.

It was the highest scoring game between AP top 10  in history and propelled the Bears to an 11-1 record and a share of the Big 12 Championship. Unfortunately, the 61-58 victory over No. 9 TCU would not be enough to secure Baylor a spot in the 2014 College Football Playoff. The win did officially state that Baylor had arrived on a national stage, and it kept TCU from getting their first CFP appearance. No matter what a TCU fan has to say against Baylor, you can always reply “61-58” with a smile on your face. 

Discussion from...

58 Days till Kickoff: Baylor’s Epic Victory over TCU 61-58

2,604 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
Pecos 45
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I remember every detail of that game vividly.
My brother and I were seated in the end zone, where every 4th quarter score happened right in front of us!
With six minutes left, and Baylor down by 21 points, I turned to him and said, "Let's leave."
He replied, "No. If they come back and win it, I want to be here."
We stayed and the rest is history.
After the game I handed my camera to my frat bro and he took this shot of the two of us.
He died of COVID six years later.

That game remains one of my best memories of my time with my younger brother.

And Bryce Petty sealed his place as one of the greatest Baylor QBs of all time with that performance.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
historian
This is a game for the ages. Here is a 3 minute highlight reel:

That last sentence was incorrect: Baylor started 9-0 in 2013.

Here is John Hawkins excellent summary of the game in 28 minutes:

Here is a more extensive highlights (100 minutes):

But nothing like watching the entire game:

Pecos 45
Thank you!
I love you, man!!!

(And Art Briles was our coach and should be coaching SOMEWHERE!!!)
Malcolm Forbes
Big12Bear
historian said:

This is a game for the ages. Here is a 3 minute highlight reel:

That last sentence was incorrect: Baylor started 9-0 in 2013.

He was off twice, as BU started 6-0 in 1980 as well. And since that 2014 game, also hit 6-0 in 2015, 2016 and 2019.
historian
I had forgotten about 1980. I'll give them a pass on the later years since this video was made in 2014.

I look forward to the year we start out 10-0. I hope it happens before the traitors leave.
Pecos 45
Dang straight!
Malcolm Forbes
historian

Pecos 45
Lots of good highlights there, historian.
Does any footage exist of the 1974 Baylor-Texas game?
The Miracle on the Brazos?

Despite the significance of that game (first SWC title in 50 years) I still contend that the 2014 TCU game was the GOAT for Baylor football.
On one of Petty's TD throws in the 4th quarter, I have no idea how the receiver got it. He was covered, but Petty dropped the ball right into his hands.
Like I said, it all happened right in front of us.

It is July, and I'm ready for some football.
Baseball is just OK, not great.
How long, oh, Lord, how long?
Malcolm Forbes
KOKQB70
Easy to get emotional on this thread, thanks for sharing.
historian
A few years ago I posted a bunch of clips on YouTube for moments like this. I'm also ready for football!

At least we had some great Baylor basketball this past week, along with a preview of our new players. Especially Keyonte George. Wow! He is something special.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.