Football
Sponsored by

Grimes

6,415 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
Mothballs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I surely hope CDA reads this this thread so he can learn how to coach. There are some real genuises here. Maybe yall should call him and tell him how to coach. I bet you are xbox champions..

But really, what makes you think you know more sbout football in general and specifically this team than CDA? I cant wait to here the answers.

Aranda...no
Grimes...yes.

The_Mad_Shopper
SonOfZuno
It's not complicated.

BYU was simply the better team last night + Baylor's Terrible Kicking Game sprinkled with Baylor incurring Undisciplined Penalties at every possible worst time = Recipe for Disaster/Loss
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Mothballs said:

I surely hope CDA reads this this thread so he can learn how to coach. There are some real genuises here. Maybe yall should call him and tell him how to coach. I bet you are xbox champions..

But really, what makes you think you know more sbout football in general and specifically this team than CDA? I cant wait to here the answers.

Aranda...no
Grimes...yes.

Great.

Under his guidance, the Bears' offense ranked 10th nationally with 5.37 yards per rush and 30th nationally with 6.32 yards per play. BU increased its rushing production by 129 yards per game over the 2020 season, raising its rushing average from 90.3 yards per game (123rd nationally) to 219.3 yards per game (10th nationally).

Grimes also helped Baylor senior running back Abram Smith to a monster senior year, ranking among the nation's best in yards per carry (14th, 6.23), total rushing (5th, 1,601), and rushing touchdowns (tied for 39th, 12). Ben Sims (361 yards, 6 TDs) and Tyquan Thornton (948 yards, 10 TDs) each had career years for the Bears as well.

Grimes has worked his way up the ladder.

State your credentials I know you have been to all the pratices so you have a firm up to date idea about our players but has anyone ever thought of you as a coach and at what level?
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Mothballs

Mothballs said:

Aranda...no
Grimes...yes.

Great.

Under his guidance, the Bears' offense ranked 10th nationally with 5.37 yards per rush and 30th nationally with 6.32 yards per play. BU increased its rushing production by 129 yards per game over the 2020 season, raising its rushing average from 90.3 yards per game (123rd nationally) to 219.3 yards per game (10th nationally).

Grimes also helped Baylor senior running back Abram Smith to a monster senior year, ranking among the nation's best in yards per carry (14th, 6.23), total rushing (5th, 1,601), and rushing touchdowns (tied for 39th, 12). Ben Sims (361 yards, 6 TDs) and Tyquan Thornton (948 yards, 10 TDs) each had career years for the Bears as well.

State your credentials I know you have been to all the pratices so you have a firm up to date idea about our players but has anyone ever thought of you as a coach and at what level?

Actually Abram Smith helped Grimes to achieve those numbers. Are we even approaching those numbers without Smith this season?
blackie
As I said in another thread. You have standing to ask the coaches why the offense was as it was. You do not have standing to make assumptions as to why they did as they did, or didn't do, and to create strawmen to attack. Typically there are reasons why things were chosen as they were, and sitting in front of a TV is not providing any insight as to what was going on along the sidelines or situations with personnel.. And with RGIII and his buddy more interested in what people were eating than describing what was going on outside of what we were shown on camera, they were zero help in understanding what was going on in the secondary when we had the ball.

Sometimes I get fed up with this board more than I do when I read the R&P board. I think some people need to just go over to texags where objectivity is void and knee-jerk reaction from internet dorks and speculation is rampant.
blackie
Mothballs said:

Mothballs said:

Aranda...no
Grimes...yes.

Great.

Actually Abram Smith helped Grimes to achieve those numbers. Are we even approaching those numbers without Smith this season?
No, but who on this team is anywhere close to Smith in ability, not to mention a receiver core that is at best average.
Feedemfishheads
You know I was just thinking……. Maybe BYU had a game plan to stop us offensively. I know it's crazy to think that after reading some of these comments.
william
vanillabryce said:

Back to Grimes…

I'm not and Xs and Os guy, but why weren't we rolling out Shapen, going to slants, or using screen passes?

... and God forbid we try a Bummeroosky de vez en cuando.

Sabes?

- el KKM

{ tomando cafe }

{ comiendo pan tostada }
Go Bears!
blackie
Quinton said:

The offense was shook the entire game. Again, the play calling was very strange but clearly saw something in the qb that instilled no confidence. Called the game like byu had GA's secondary.

Smith was highly underrated as a college back. It wasn't just the o-line. Fell forward and really leaned into contact. Our backs last night fell back after contact. With Smith they win the game. BYU is very good at home and had the best home field advantage of any team so far this year.. and it wasn't close. Team struggled to handle it. Also struggled with the altitude.
I think a lot of this had to do with BYU being focused on this game like we normally do not see in most opponents. You can't keep that kind of intensity up an entire season, but you can focus it on a few specific games in a season, especially when you have the fans hyped up as much as the team. We went into a meat grinder last night. Amazing we did as well as we did. Have no clue as to why some here think we should have been considered favorites going into the game.
Feedemfishheads
Exactly!
william
blackie said:

Quinton said:

The offense was shook the entire game. Again, the play calling was very strange but clearly saw something in the qb that instilled no confidence. Called the game like byu had GA's secondary.

Smith was highly underrated as a college back. It wasn't just the o-line. Fell forward and really leaned into contact. Our backs last night fell back after contact. With Smith they win the game. BYU is very good at home and had the best home field advantage of any team so far this year.. and it wasn't close. Team struggled to handle it. Also struggled with the altitude.
I think a lot of this had to do with BYU being focused on this game like we normally do not see in most opponents. You can't keep that kind of intensity up an entire season, but you can focus it on a few specific games in a season, especially when you have the fans hyped up as much as the team. We went into a meat grinder last night. Amazing we did as well as we did. Have no clue as to why some here think we should have been considered favorites going into the game.
could have easily won the game - and with almost all new skill position players.

BYU game-planned effectively - great crowd and atmosphere.

We'll be fine the rest of the way - and Abram Smith is missed.

- KKM

Go Bears!
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
blackie said:

Have no clue as to why some here think we should have been considered favorites going into the game.
?

Not sure why anyone would think that we wouldn't be the favorite.
-tfhpb, "Thee couch-potato prognosticator"

bear2be2
blackie said:

Mothballs said:

Mothballs said:

Aranda...no
Grimes...yes.

Great.

No, but who on this team is anywhere close to Smith in ability, not to mention a receiver core that is at best average.
Our receiving corps is more young/inexperienced than bad. Unfortunately there was no bridge from last year's group to this, so we have three or four guys (talented though they may be) who are trying to learn on the fly what it means to be a Big 12 receiver. That's not easy.

Denzel Mims wasn't Denzel Mims until his junior season. And Tyquan wasn't ready to be the top guy until his senior year. We're asking a lot (probably too much) of young guys who have never done it before. That's tough.
Doc Holliday
bear2be2 said:

blackie said:

Mothballs said:

Mothballs said:

Aranda...no
Grimes...yes.

Great.

Our receiving corps is more young/inexperienced than bad. Unfortunately there was no bridge from last year's group to this, so we have three or four guys (talented though they may be) who are trying to learn on the fly what it means to be a Big 12 receiver. That's not easy.

Denzel Mims wasn't Denzel Mims until his junior season. And Tyquan wasn't ready to be the top guy until his senior year. We're asking a lot (probably too much) of young guys who have never done it before. That's tough.
Theres a handful of teams with newbies that play lights out from their first game forward. This program needs to learn how to figure that out either through recruiting or quicker development. It can be done.
IowaBear
Mims had over 1k yards is Sophomore season
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Mothballs said:

Mothballs said:

Aranda...no
Grimes...yes.

Great.

Valid point if Baylor was his first job. He has worked his way to where he is now. Most coaches never get to the level he is operating Tell me about your cerdentials? Obviously he and the staff will be judged by the scoreboard. But not for one game. And he did put us in position to win against a good team and a loud stadium.
Futbol Bear
I preface my comments by stating that I have no credentials.

I do, however, have 20/20 vision and watched BU run the ball ad nauseum in the 2nd half to the point that everyone, including BYU expected the next play, to again, be a running play.

When the defense loads the box up & dares you to run, unless you have a dominant o-line, they will eventually stop you.
It probably makes sense to keep a defense honest by mixing in a pass play now & again.

I agree with many on this board that if your offensive game plan or identity is to run the ball the overwhelming majority of the time, why then is Shapen the starting QB? Wouldn't GB have been the better & obvious choice?

Guy Noir
Art_E_Guinn said:

Fre3dombear said:

Art Briles. We miss you.
Ah, the "Baylor Boomer" slogan for old men who have a hard on for another old man.
Art Briles kind of spoiled a few of us because he could bring the offense.

I am concerned that Baylor lost the Qb that led the team to such a successful year last year. GB Was a winner.
Maybe Blake Shapen is a winner too, but the switchover in the offensive style is not impressive so far. It is too bad the team could not keep both Qbs in the arsenal.
muddybrazos
Guy Noir said:

Art_E_Guinn said:

Fre3dombear said:

Art Briles. We miss you.
Ah, the "Baylor Boomer" slogan for old men who have a hard on for another old man.
Art Briles kind of spoiled a few of us because he could bring the offense.

I am concerned that Baylor lost the Qb that led the team to such a successful year last year. GB Was a winner.
Maybe Blake Shapen is a winner too, but the switchover in the offensive style is not impressive so far. It is too bad the team could not keep both Qbs in the arsenal.
We couldve kept both if we kept Gerry as starter. I dont know if that was the right call bc i'm not the OC or head coach so I'll trust the guys that got us a championship last year.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Our coaches created game plan that put us in a position to win. This is what good coaches do. I didnt like the game plan. But I:

1. Havent beem to any practice. I dont know our strengths and weakesses. The coaches do.

2. I disagreed about GB and hated to see him go. But that was decision our staff made. I am sure they have their reasons. I dont have enough info to question their decision.

3 CDA knows what he is doing. Anybody can sit on the couch and yell about the plays that dont work. There are many many factors that fans arent privy too. Be a fan. Support the team of your choice. No one wants to win more than they do. Its their job. What level you have risen to in your vocation compared to the level they have risen to in their chosen vocation? Are you won of the top 100 so accountants or lawyers or brokers or bankers?\
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Mims had over 1k yards is Sophomore season
Fair point. I had basically blocked that 2017 season out of my mind and forgot how good Denzel was that year.

But my primary point stands. Guys need to grow into those go-to roles. And it usually takes some time. It's also harder when you don't have any veteran guys demanding defensive attention and opening up opportunities for you, which is something Tyquan Thornton really benefited from early in his career.

Alabama is going through the exact same thing we are right now. Breaking in an entirely new set of receivers isn't easy. The plug-and-play days are largely over at that position -- even at the highest levels of the sport.
Reverend
If you think the pay calling was unimaginative, and strange, please don't offer an opinion about it unless you have been to the practices, were on the sidelines, are a coach, and care more than they do. You can't win that genius argument. Just zip it up. After all, this is just a football forum, but you're not "qualified" to offer an opinion.
Doc Holliday
Reverend said:

If you think the pay calling was unimaginative, and strange, please don't offer an opinion about it unless you have been to the practices, were on the sidelines, are a coach, and care more than they do. You can't win that genius argument. Just zip it up. After all, this is just a football forum, but you're not "qualified" to offer an opinion.
When the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument, it's called an 'Argument from Authority'.

It's always an outright fallacy no matter what authority they reference. They could be correct, but it's not because of their reference.
rileyroo
Gerry was not better than Shapen. We need to quit attacking a player when he has an average game. When Grimes let Shapen throw, he marched us down the field for a TD. I put the blame on the idiotic, super conservative play calling.

Shapen was picked over Bohannnon because he throws a better ball, has better accuracy, is more calm in the pocket, and gives us a better chance to score. Do you think coaches would risk their careers by putting in someone who they do not trust? Bohannnon was not this far along after two games last season. We nearly lost to Texas State.

Blake is here to stay. Let's support him.
LTBear19
I don't know if I'd call 137 yards passing 'average.' More like 'below' average.

Also, coaches are not perfect. They can trust a player like there's no tomorrow, yet a decision can still prove to be wrong once the dust settles.

Bottom Line: If you're gonna bench the QB who led you to the best record in school history, then his replacement better be a 'can't miss' prospect.

And if we're being honest, that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment.
IowaBear
This is where I'm at. Was a huge fan of the move to Shapen because it seemed like the right move IF you wanted to be more dynamic offensively. However as others have stated it appears Grimes wants to run the exact same offense he did last year with Shapen and that doesn't play to his strengths at all. If that's what we're aiming to do offensively the move from Gerry to Blake moves zero sense.
rileyroo
Can I get a show of hands from those who think Gerry would have made it through that game without an interception? Shapen was under pressure all night. Our OL has to improve.
SonOfZuno
IowaBear said:

This is where I'm at. Was a huge fan of the move to Shapen because it seemed like the right move IF you wanted to be more dynamic offensively. However as others have stated it appears Grimes wants to run the exact same offense he did last year with Shapen and that doesn't play to his strengths at all. If that's what we're aiming to do offensively the move from Gerry to Blake moves zero sense.
Agreed - Unless Shapen is consistently putting up 280/2/1 a game to help open up the (strong) running game, Baylor has no chance of winning out. And without winning out, they'll need several other chips to fall for them just like last year to grab the conference title again.
Mothballs
rileyroo said:

Can I get a show of hands from those who think Gerry would have made it through that game without an interception? Shapen was under pressure all night. Our OL has to improve.

On the other hand Gerry would have made them pay for that pressure with his feet.
curtpenn
Art_E_Guinn said:

Fre3dombear said:

Art Briles. We miss you.

Ah, the ad hominem argument for those who lack the ability to display critical thinking.
Futbol Bear
"Shapen was picked over Bohannnon because he throws a better ball, has better accuracy, is more calm in the pocket, and gives us a better chance to score. Do you think coaches would risk their careers by putting in someone who they do not trust?"

I agree with so much of what you posited.

If the coaches trust Shapen why didn't they allow him to throw the ball in the 2nd half?
CutTheTVoff
MrFrooz said:

Fre3dombear said:

Watching all these down the ford highlights from other teams makes me sick.

Art Briles. We miss you.

You realize that we had the best season in program history last year, right? With Dave Aranda. Right?

The actual comment I was going to make before getting sidetracked by CAB morons was to wait and watch the film before you crucify Grimes.

I know Shapen wasn't slinging it but our WRs could not get open to save their lives. My biggest criticism of Grimes is not having any designed plays to get Ben Sims involved, especially in OT.
That's your biggest complaint about Grimes? We had 4 hours of football and only 20 points on the board. Sqwirl and Qualan up the gut over and over and over again was not a winning strategy. He has some accountability here.
CutTheTVoff
blackie said:

As I said in another thread. You have standing to ask the coaches why the offense was as it was. You do not have standing to make assumptions as to why they did as they did, or didn't do, and to create strawmen to attack. Typically there are reasons why things were chosen as they were, and sitting in front of a TV is not providing any insight as to what was going on along the sidelines or situations with personnel.. And with RGIII and his buddy more interested in what people were eating than describing what was going on outside of what we were shown on camera, they were zero help in understanding what was going on in the secondary when we had the ball.

Sometimes I get fed up with this board more than I do when I read the R&P board. I think some people need to just go over to texags where objectivity is void and knee-jerk reaction from internet dorks and speculation is rampant.
This was a funny and accurate observation about the commentators.
robby44
"Dance with the one that brung ya"
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.