Story Poster
Baylor Football

New Baylor staff in no hurry to forget old Baylor offense

August 7, 2017

Matt Rhule has shown he isn't stubborn when it comes to adjusting the way things are done on the field to make sure his team has what it takes to win. That's a fortunate thing for Baylor fans who have been cautious about what exactly the offense will look like in Waco this fall and for the foreseeable future.

Who would want to forget arguably the most innovative offense in the new millennium because of pride or ego? That would be quite the foolish thing to do.

Todd Nickle Zach Smith (2016) was the final quarterback signed by Baylor's previous staff.

Baylor offensive coordinator Glenn Thomas recently "spilled the beans" when it came to Baylor possibly keeping some of the previous offense intact when discussing Baylor sophomore quarterback Zach Smith.

Smith, who spent a spring, summer and fall at Baylor under the previous offensive scheme, has been able to share insights on the of the offense for potential use in the coming years.

“We’ve probably leaned on him a little bit, like, hey, how did you guys do this in the years past?" Thomas said. "Obviously there’s been a lot of success in that way so we’ve leaned on him like, hey, what did you see here? What was your progression? What was the corner — what was the receiver reading here? So we’ve leaned on him in that way."

In college programs around the country, offensive coordinators use the simple understanding of the Art Briles' offense: take what is given. The breakneck pace which Briles' used was unique and the packages with receivers outside the numbers on both sides weren't easy to replicate. But, despite how "simple" those aspects were on paper, actually stopping the offense was a lot tougher.

"First and foremost you’re going to get what the defense takes — what they’re giving you," Thomas said. "That’s what you want to do. I think we’re multiple enough that we can be big if we need to, but we’re athletic enough obviously with the personnel that we have that we can spread people out and create some space."

Outside of Smith, Baylor has the talent on the offensive line receivers as well as the skill position to spread the ball all around the field. That's the personnel that Thomas is referencing, something that other programs don't always have when trying to implement the system.

But it's not just that. It's that same personnel with multiple years of experience in an offensive scheme that was considered the best offense in the country dating back to Robert Griffin III's Heisman winning campaign in 2011.

Why not take advantage of it even if it's only for one or two or three drives per game?

“I think we have the functionality and capability of doing both.
Discussion from...

New Baylor staff in no hurry to forget old Baylor offense

20,759 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by historian
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Doc Holliday
Having the most explosive offense in spread is nothing more than selective recruiting.
Selective recruiting is VERY difficult.

It's taking a track star and teaching him how to catch the football.
It's making sure your one on one match-ups are always better, faster and stronger than the rest.

Pale Rider
BEAR RAMMAGE said:

Having the most explosive offense in spread is nothing more than selective recruiting.

It's making sure your one on one match-ups are always better, faster and stronger than the rest.

And creating space which gives the superior athlete a decided advantage. A beautiful thing to watch!
DaRealBears
BEAR RAMMAGE said:

Given Rhules #BFast campaign, and the athletes the coaches are recruiting, I would say they plan on continuing this approach.. at least to some extent.
McCavebear
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.

-- Sun Tzu
The Art of War
McCavebear Lives!
McCavebear
DaRealBears said:

BEAR RAMMAGE said:

Given Rhules #BFast campaign, and the athletes the coaches are recruiting, I would say they plan on continuing this approach.. at least to some extent.

We got team speed. We will utilize it.
McCavebear Lives!
FormerFlash
I just can't wait to see what it'll all look like mixing our old style and players with Rhule's experience and Snow at the helm for the D. Football can't get here soon enough.
Sic Everyone.
BUGWBBear
I certainly feel a little better if he keeps a good chunk of the Briles scheme going. I hope he understands it well enough to know when it should be executed. I sense he does, but it also requires leadership to pull it off. Right now that is a huge concern.
wuzzy bear
I don't see how you mix and match a moderate pace with a fast pace. Briles was so successful because he has one speed and he recruited that way. Defenses are not going to be fooled by our fast pace anymore. But if you have the players to do it then by all means do it and do it the whole game. I'm afraid we are about to see a standard set with two RB packages.

What made our O click time after time is that we were so fast their D could not get off the field and we just gassed them. That won't happen now so you have to play almost a pro style game.
Krieg
wuzzy bear said:

I don't see how you mix and match a moderate pace with a fast pace. Briles was so successful because he has one speed and he recruited that way. Defenses are not going to be fooled by our fast pace anymore. But if you have the players to do it then by all means do it and do it the whole game. I'm afraid we are about to see a standard set with two RB packages.

What made our O click time after time is that we were so fast their D could not get off the field and we just gassed them. That won't happen now so you have to play almost a pro style game.

This. Briles went 100% all-in on his strategies and that's why it worked so well. Even the defense was in on the plan and operated in a way to get off the field ASAP to get the O back on, and it worked. You can't do the same thing part-time. Maybe when you have 2 minutes to score or something, but that's not often enough to justify an entire offense.

Besides, these coaches don't know that offense. They know their own scheme(s) and that's where they'll either earn contract extensions or pink slips. I just hope we can realistically run those schemes with our current personnel. If we lose too many games this year, it's going to be hard to get the necessary players to run their schemes later.

That said, we'll have to be ready to score 40+ against some teams. Whatever we run, I hope it has lots of quick-strike capability, and maybe that's what they're really working on incorporating from the old offense. I could see that being added.
wuzzy bear
Say what you want about Briles off the field issues, but on the field there is no one I'd rather watch than a Briles coached team. If he takes a job that competes against us then look out because you will be sitting in your seat wishing he was still here. Put the yet to be convicted of anything Art Briles on my sideline any day.

I cannot guarantee you that I will appreciate Rhule for anything. That remains to be determined. Temple ain't BU and we ain't playing in the Little East.

I do think this O has the pieces but injuries will determine a HUGE part of this team success. No plug n play this year. One bad injury to the O Line and Zach Smith cannot move fast enough to get out of the way. But this is the hand we are dealt so I will deal with it.
BUBeliever
I was a big fan of the Briles HUNH/ 95 plays a game offensive strategy. We won a lot of games with it, always had a top ranked offense, and it was exciting to watch. However, you cannot deny that:

--It wore down our defense
--We lost some big games (example: Cotton Bowl vs. Sparty) because we simply could not run clock

If CMR is able to do what he SAYS he's going to do, we'll be able to run clock when we need to and preserve our defense by running less plays per game.

I for one am willing to give CMR and this coaching staff my vote of confidence for the next year or two to see what they can do. It will look different, but different can be good--hopefully it can be great!
Krieg
BUBeliever said:

I was a big fan of the Briles HUNH/ 95 plays a game offensive strategy. We won a lot of games with it, always had a top ranked offense, and it was exciting to watch. However, you cannot deny that:

--It wore down our defense
--We lost some big games (example: Cotton Bowl vs. Sparty) because we simply could not run clock

If CMR is able to do what he SAYS he's going to do, we'll be able to run clock when we need to and preserve our defense by running less plays per game.

I for one am willing to give CMR and this coaching staff my vote of confidence for the next year or two to see what they can do. It will look different, but different can be good--hopefully it can be great!

He just needs to win. He does and we'll love him. He seems to be a good fit in terms of who he is, but he's 0-0. He could be great and he could be awful at winning games at Baylor. He gets my vote of confidence (that's not worth much, admittedly) if he succeeds. He doesn't if he fails.

I really hope he succeeds. I hope even more that next time we do, we have a backbone.
MilliVanilli
wuzzy bear said:

Briles also couldn't play ball control in some key games to keep a lead, the Cotton Bowl comes to mind, you have to be able to slow down and grind the clock in some grudge matches, and Briles' teams never could, it was live or die by boat racing.
MilliVanilli
wuzzy bear said:

Say what you want about Briles off the field issues, but on the field there is no one I'd rather watch than a Briles coached team. If he takes a job that competes against us then look out because you will be sitting in your seat wishing he was still here. Put the yet to be convicted of anything Art Briles on my sideline any day.

I cannot guarantee you that I will appreciate Rhule for anything. That remains to be determined. Temple ain't BU and we ain't playing in the Little East.

I do think this O has the pieces but injuries will determine a HUGE part of this team success. No plug n play this year. One bad injury to the O Line and Zach Smith cannot move fast enough to get out of the way. But this is the hand we are dealt so I will deal with it.

Art Briles will at best coach his grand kids' pee wee league again.

He's almost 62 and a pariah, he's done.

Yes, he had exciting offenses, very exciting, but he had undisciplined and incomplete teams that were fundamentally sloppy and underdeveloped on defense and special teams.

Briles was a great OC occupying the HC position.
Courtesy_Flush
I get excited when I hear we are gunna keep some form of our old offense. Makes me happy. Kinda like Kansas beating Texas makes me happy.
SicEmBU87
I loved being a Baylor fan under Art, we were better than most of us ever thought we could be. That being said, no one has won a Natty running the wide open crazy offense. If we didn't go through what we have gone through, and Art was still running the show, I would be happy with year in and year out top 10 teams. But he is gone, and now I'm hoping we step forward and not backward to being even better. CMR has my full support until he gives me a reason not to support him. Can't wait!!
FormerFlash
SicEmBU87 said:

I loved being a Baylor fan under Art, we were better than most of us ever thought we could be. That being said, no one has won a Natty running the wide open crazy offense. If we didn't go through what we have gone through, and Art was still running the show, I would be happy with year in and year out top 10 teams. But he is gone, and now I'm hoping we step forward and not backward to being even better. CMR has my full support until he gives me a reason not to support him. Can't wait!!
This.

Perhaps Briles and his system were exactly what was needed to put our program on the map, bolster Baylor football as a destination spot for recruits, pump up facilities, uniforms, etc, and vault the program to the upper echelon. Now it's time to move from that to truly elite with a spread/pro-style hybrid, smash mouth defense, and the brand of football teams like Alabama and Ohio State have been winning National Championships with.

Pre-scandal, we all loved watching Briles burn teams to the ground with electrifying offense. Now it's time to transition to a style with which we can win it all.

I'm drinking the koolaid!
bearlyafarmer
MilliVanilli said:

wuzzy bear said:

Briles also couldn't play ball control in some key games to keep a lead, the Cotton Bowl comes to mind, you have to be able to slow down and grind the clock in some grudge matches, and Briles' teams never could, it was live or die by boat racing.
If only our defense could have registered a safety, we would have been Cotton Bowl champs that year.
Life is more about asking the right questions than giving the right answers.
bearlyafarmer
I'm looking forward to see CMR's teams play defense.

That said, it's strange how no one ever mentions the caliber of defensive recruits in Briles' final class. The one that with one much-appreciated exception is all playing somewhere else.
McCavebear
Our D should be better.

I hope we are not disappointed in the Offense. I hate disappointment...

McCavebear Lives!
Krieg
bearlyafarmer said:

I'm looking forward to see CMR's teams play defense.

That said, it's strange how no one ever mentions the caliber of defensive recruits in Briles' final class. The one that with one much-appreciated exception is all playing somewhere else.

They're trying to convince themselves this whole deal can actually make us better. It's insane. They're completely ignoring the fact that we were still building a program under Briles and were still getting better. Our recruiting improvement would've likely led to significant on-field improvement.

Dabo started coaching Clemson the year Briles arrived in Waco and just won one with a spread, too. He also inherited a program that has been bowl eligible every year since 1998 and averaged more than 8 wins a year for 3 years before he took over.

In other words, expecting Briles to win it all in his tenure is stupid. He was getting us close, and with his improving recruiting likely gets us closer if not actually pulling off a title or two. We'll never know for sure, but anybody watching us destroy a top 10 team without a QB on our roster should've realized we were getting that good.
Krieg
To clarify, my post isn't a criticism of Rhule. He could indeed make us better than we were...someday. We'll be significantly worse than we'd have been otherwise for at least 3 years, though, and that sucks. It's not Rhule's fault, but it is true.

I do think we could've won it all with Briles. So did pretty much everyone before he was fired...
Bear8084
Krieg said:

To clarify, my post isn't a criticism of Rhule. He could indeed make us better than we were...someday. We'll be significantly worse than we'd have been otherwise for at least 3 years, though, and that sucks. It's not Rhule's fault, but it is true.

I do think we could've won it all with Briles. So did pretty much everyone before he was fired...

Another crystal ball owner. No, you don't know if we will be "significantly worse" for the next 3 years. Yeah, there will be a drop off and a learning curve for probably this year and maybe the next but I don't see us being significantly worse. Not with the way this Coaching staff and players are approaching things.

And Dabo's spread is a very different looking spread than what Briles was running.
bear2011
Anyone who thinks we won't be significantly worse is dreaming. Briles is gone and so is the era of greatness.
Bear8084
bear2011 said:

Anyone who thinks we won't be significantly worse is dreaming. Briles is gone and so is the era of greatness.

No. I'm just paying attention to the Coaches interviews, practice and players reports and team reports. And also wrong about the "era of greatness" being gone. CMR is a proven Coach who won at a very hard place to win at. He had the potential to make us great again. If you don't believe that and don't believe in this team and Staff then go cheer for another team while you wait year after year hoping for Briles to get hired again, somewhere. If you're lucky a DIII school miiiiiight take a chance on him. I will be cheering on CMR and his success with the Baylor Bears.
Krieg
Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Another crystal ball owner. No, you don't know if we will be "significantly worse" for the next 3 years. Yeah, there will be a drop off and a learning curve for probably this year and maybe the next but I don't see us being significantly worse. Not with the way this Coaching staff and players are approaching things.

And Dabo's spread is a very different looking spread than what Briles was running.

Do you honestly think there is a greater than 1% chance that we'll have a better football team in 2017, 2018, and 2019 after everything we've been through including the coaching change than if we hadn't gone through everything and kept Briles?

Take off the green glasses for a minute. If you really believe we could be better in any of those seasons after everything, you're essentially saying Rhule is the best coach in the history of football. Before he's even coached a game. (Temple isn't Baylor, he's 0-0 in the only job that matters).

What you're doing is making it where you'll either have to change your expectations when we are worse in the near term, or you'll want Rhule fired for winning 8 games. Most likely, though, you'll worship him no matter what for a while and then turn on him after year 4 if he fails.

I'm trying to take a realistic view and expect us to be worse while we're low on numbers a bit and while we change everything on offense. We shouldn't be below 7 wins, and should be hitting 10 again by year 3 imo...but that's still a large step backwards in the near term. If you expect immediate improvement you're setting up Rhule for failure and yourself for disappointment.
BrutalBear
If we are not in the playoff discussion by the end of year 4 then Rhule will lose my faith, until then I can handle a few 7 or 8 win seasons.
Bear8084
Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Do you honestly think there is a greater than 1% chance that we'll have a better football team in 2017, 2018, and 2019 after everything we've been through including the coaching change than if we hadn't gone through everything and kept Briles?

Take off the green glasses for a minute. If you really believe we could be better in any of those seasons after everything, you're essentially saying Rhule is the best coach in the history of football. Before he's even coached a game. (Temple isn't Baylor, he's 0-0 in the only job that matters).

What you're doing is making it where you'll either have to change your expectations when we are worse in the near term, or you'll want Rhule fired for winning 8 games. Most likely, though, you'll worship him no matter what for a while and then turn on him after year 4 if he fails.

I'm trying to take a realistic view and expect us to be worse while we're low on numbers a bit and while we change everything on offense. We shouldn't be below 7 wins, and should be hitting 10 again by year 3 imo...but that's still a large step backwards in the near term. If you expect immediate improvement you're setting up Rhule for failure and yourself for disappointment.

Not saying we'll be better, I'm just saying In
don't see us going back to 1-win Big 12 Seasons. People on here talk about huge drop off, but then say it's an 7 or 8 win season. That's not a huge drop-off. And I do believe CMR and Staff can return us to greatness, it may take 3 to 4 seasons.
bearlyafarmer
Krieg said:

My belief is that when he was run out of town on a $25 million rail, without cause, without one shred of hard evidence having yet been shown to validate the BOR's massive screwup, it was to keep him from cementing the few remaining improvements needed for BU to win a NC. More than likely, simply because he wouldn't bow and scrape to a few arrogant, self-imagined power brokers in the Baylor context.
Krieg
Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

don't see us going back to 1-win Big 12 Seasons. People on here talk about huge drop off, but then say it's an 7 or 8 win season. That's not a huge drop-off. And I do believe CMR and Staff can return us to greatness, it may take 3 to 4 seasons.

From playoff contender, conference champ, and double-digit wins to about 4th in the conference isn't a huge drop off? Really?

Ok...maybe we just have a definition issue?

bearlyafarmer
Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Peachy. String together enough "3 to 4 season" stretches due to our stubborn insistence on repeatedly shooting ourselves in the foot, and no one currently posting here will live to see Baylor football hoist a NC trophy.
Bear8084
Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

Bear8084 said:

Krieg said:

From playoff contender, conference champ, and double-digit wins to about 4th in the conference isn't a huge drop off? Really?

Ok...maybe we just have a definition issue?

A new Coach coming in and getting us to 7 or 8 wins right off is not a huge drop off to me. That's pretty close to a Conference contender. Maybe even one game win away from being in the new Big 12 Championship game.
historian
I don't mind if they mix things up a bit. I do look forward to the explosive offense that we've grown accustomed to--because it was so exciting to watch & it was so successful. We should not think of Briles as doing only the up tempo, quick strike attacks. While that certainly was his forte, there were plenty of times in which the offense moved more deliberately--and thus more slowly. This usually happened when we had a sizable lead & CAB was trying to run out the clock. That made perfect sense.

As I see it, one of the big problems with a team that cannot score quickly is that if they are behind by a sizable amount but regain momentum late, they may not be able to capitalize unless they can score quickly. One reason we beat TCU in 2014 is that scoring fast was normal for us. One of the TV announcers even said as much right before one of those 3 TDs. I also recall how often we beat K State, whose offense tended to be slow most of the time, for that very reason: even if they had gained some momentum & made some late scores, it was not enough to take the lead (i.e. 2014 & 2015). They demonstrated in last year's bowl game that they had learned the lesson & could be more flexible by striking fast from the start. No doubt that surprised the Aggies quite a bit!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.