Football
Sponsored by

Gold out next week against Ok St

4,790 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by curtpenn
Bear8084
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboycwr said:

Bear8084 said:

Jorkel said:

Bear8084 said:

swart dra mislei jou said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

Surely - if Tennessee can organize this...Baylor's fan can fill McLane with one color.

lets just start with what we know will work first. All green.

Looks like empty seats.

Not really

Looks pretty bad on TV.
You must be the only one who thinks that. Every one else says it looks good. Same when Penn State does their white out.

I am agreeing with you on the gold/yellow.
Stranger
boognish_bear said:

We are undefeated at 3-0 in the full mustard

We'll fling our green and be velveeta afar. . . .
I'm a Bearbacker
cowboycwr

cowboycwr said:

cowboycwr said:

And half the fans will not wear gold because they "don't like the shade of yellow" or feel they "don't look good in gold" or an of the other excuses they use to not wear the correct color because they worry more about their looks for the game then the fact it looks good on tv when the whole stadium matches.
its none of those excuses....i promise....

For as long as I can remember it has been those excuses for many. They are more worried about dressing nice or how they look in green or the shade of yellow, etc. than supporting the team.
nope. Its just the excuses you want them to have so you ridicule them.

The excuse to not wear yellow is, and has always been, because thats not what Baylor fans do, Not what Baylor fans have ever done, and therefore should not be something Baylor fans ever do in the future.

Baylor fans wear green, always have, always should going forward.

And Baylor football players are historically recognized as wearing GOLD (not yellow) helmets with the national recognized, traditional interlocking BU.

If Baylor wants to get cute with another color every now and then, or put a different logo on it for a game every now and then, fine, but the above is what Baylor is, and has always been.

Who are we to change it? Think this generation is better than the dozens before them? Its just flat out insulting.....
UMMM no.

It is because of the color yellow.

You can say what ever you want but I know what people have told me as to why they don't wear yellow/gold to the games.

And the ones I am talking about do not say it is because "Baylor fans wear green" as you say.

It is because of how they look, they don't like the color yellow, etc.

So yeah get out of here with you trying to tell me what other people have said directly to me.
Alf

Bear8084 said:

Jorkel said:

Bear8084 said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

Surely - if Tennessee can organize this...Baylor's fan can fill McLane with one color.

lets just start with what we know will work first. All green.

Looks like empty seats.

Not really

Looks pretty bad on TV.
not really

Looks good so long as there is 80+ % participation. Not so much if there is a lot of green, orange and other colors heavily mixed in.
No Longer Gold
Stranger said:

boognish_bear said:

We are undefeated at 3-0 in the full mustard

We'll fling our green and be velveeta afar. . . .
hahaha...they cut off the fans to only show the line so it looks like there is a bunch of yellow.....hahahahahaha
Stranger
Wicked_Wombat said:

green?
I'm a Bearbacker
No Longer Gold
cowboycwr said:

cowboycwr said:

cowboycwr said:

And half the fans will not wear gold because they "don't like the shade of yellow" or feel they "don't look good in gold" or an of the other excuses they use to not wear the correct color because they worry more about their looks for the game then the fact it looks good on tv when the whole stadium matches.

For as long as I can remember it has been those excuses for many. They are more worried about dressing nice or how they look in green or the shade of yellow, etc. than supporting the team.

The excuse to not wear yellow is, and has always been, because thats not what Baylor fans do, Not what Baylor fans have ever done, and therefore should not be something Baylor fans ever do in the future.

And Baylor football players are historically recognized as wearing GOLD (not yellow) helmets with the national recognized, traditional interlocking BU.

If Baylor wants to get cute with another color every now and then, or put a different logo on it for a game every now and then, fine, but the above is what Baylor is, and has always been.

Who are we to change it? Think this generation is better than the dozens before them? Its just flat out insulting.....
UMMM no.

You can say what ever you want but I know what people have told me as to why they don't wear yellow/gold to the games.

And the ones I am talking about do not say it is because "Baylor fans wear green" as you say.

So yeah get out of here with you trying to tell me what other people have said directly to me.
thats just the way real Baylor fans say "bless your heart" to the sheep fans....
cowboycwr

cowboycwr said:

cowboycwr said:

cowboycwr said:

UMMM no.

thats just the way real Baylor fans say "bless your heart" to the sheep fans....
LOL. Yeah ok. Get out of here with your BS. I know what people have said to me. You do not. You have never met me so you have no clue about what kind of fan I am.
Russell Gym
COME ON OLDS, WEAR YOUR GOLD!!
mcleod66
Russell Gym said:

COME ON OLDS, WEAR YOUR GOLD!!
You may be joking calling out the "olds," (or you may be serious!), but I know a bunch of youngins that hate the push to wear gold. But hey, I'll be there Saturday in mine (and I would be an old! GO BEARS
Wicked_Wombat
When I hear "we wear gold, not yellow" -- I can't help but hear "OK, Boomer" in my subconscious.

Baylor's green and gold colors were linked to the Dandelion flower which is actually green and yellow.

From Baylor website: "Baylor's iconic green and gold can be traced as far back as 1897. As legend has it, a member of the student committee selected to choose the official colors for the University was traveling to a debate tournament by train. Looking out the window, she was struck by the beautiful green fields covered with thousands of spring dandelions. Adopted by the student body, the "green and gold" would go on to define the school's athletics teams, usher in the nation's first Homecoming and become immortalized in the school song."
Karab
That may be important to someone aged 50 or older, but I'm sure the more significant reasons are the following:

1) Attendant forgot to wear gold.
2) Attendant doesn't own a gold top.
3) Attendant doesn't own a gold top that they like.
No Longer Gold
Wicked_Wombat said:

When I hear "we wear gold, not yellow" -- I can't help but hear "OK, Boomer" in my subconscious.

Baylor's green and gold colors were linked to the Dandelion flower which is actually green and yellow.

From Baylor website: "Baylor's iconic green and gold can be traced as far back as 1897. As legend has it, a member of the student committee selected to choose the official colors for the University was traveling to a debate tournament by train. Looking out the window, she was struck by the beautiful green fields covered with thousands of spring dandelions. Adopted by the student body, the "green and gold" would go on to define the school's athletics teams, usher in the nation's first Homecoming and become immortalized in the school song."

Dandelions are weeds. Screw that story. It's a dumb story anyway.

Baylor is Green and Gold (not yellow) because they always have been and it looks good.
Bear8084

Wicked_Wombat said:

Baylor is Green and Gold (not yellow) because they always have been and it looks good.

"A tradition story from the beginnings of Baylor? Nah, stupid story. I only like the traditions I look good in."
Fre3dombear

Wicked_Wombat said:

Nah. Monayyyyyyyy
Reverend
120 years after green and gold were chosen as school colors someone figured out dandelions were yellow. And so it is, and so it will be …..unless you're just an old man yelling at clouds.
Russell Gym
Reverend said:

120 years after green and gold were chosen as school colors someone figured out dandelions were yellow. And so it is, and so it will be …..unless you're just an old man yelling at clouds.

Botany department letting us down.
CorsicanaBear
Notice the word legend. Nobody I know ever heard the legend prior to around 2007 when Lilley hired some marketing firm that decided our colors were some random Pantone green and yellow, said we should drop the interlocking BU because people from New York and Boston confused Baylor with Boston University, and wanted our football unis to look like the Green Bay Packers.

All of this stuff comes from a marketing firm in 2007, not Baylor tradition. Our traditions have been retconned.
historian
I was a student at Baylor in the 1980s & our colors were green & gold then in various shades. My slime cap was a shade of green about the same as what is common today & my Baylor Line shirt was about the same as they are today.

I received both of my degrees from Baylor long before 2007.
β€œIncline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
CorsicanaBear
You are correct, early 80's grad here too. Various colors of green were used over time from Kelly to Forest and shades in between. Some may even have been the Pantone defined today, but many were not. There was traditionally no defined green color. You knew green when you saw it. Yellow was never, ever used as a main football uniform color, only as a trim or contrast color. Green was the main color. Helmets were almost always always metallic gold for as long as helmets had been painted until post 2007. Even then white, green, or chrome gold or black were only used as alternate colors until the most recent redesign.

But the "legend" is, I believe, made up by the marketing company. I have been highly involved with Baylor and its traditions my whole life and never heard it before 2007. The colors had nothing to do with our tradition because our colors were only defined as green and gold. They picked some so they could trademark them. Yellow helmets were never used and yellow was never used as the primary color for football uniforms. (Basketball and maybe Baseball did).

Reverend
Yellow looks great in the stands. It really shows up. Happy to wear it.

Gold helmets and Kelly green jerseys look great on the field.

Maybe it's contradictory. But it's just a preference, and my preference isn't very important.
BUBBFAN
The school is doing something special for the game Saturday. They ask fans to participate. What's the problem? Be a fan and just participate.
Aliceinbubbleland
Imagine the empty seats if this were still played at Floyd. And how much larger is our student body in 2022 vs 2013?

This team deserved better than giveaways and begging.
GShack
This is why they push the gold.

boognish_bear
GShack said:

This is why they push the gold.

Does anyone know other options of where to buy the authentic gold jersey?
boognish_bear
Alf
Lol, band wearing black. Not a hint of gold at all!
whitetrash
Final tally appeared to be about 60-70% wearing gold, which isn't too bad for us I guess. However, the CEO of yesterday's game sponsor and ubiquitous advertiser everywhere was wearing….green. And a recent past president of the Bear Foundation was wearing a blue and white polo.
curtpenn
JP1037 said:

Any of you boys know curtpenn? That clown spent half a dozen posts and salty insults insisting the team and players don't care if we wear gold or not. Maybe he only gets Wi-Fi at the library?

Still waiting for anyone anywhere to provide any actual data other than their "feels". What do you have other than ad hominem and straw man fallacies? Produce or shut up.
curtpenn
BUBBFAN said:

KajunKarlsdad said:

I really hate the mustard yellow gold but it's what we have. I love the old gold color, probably since I grew up wearing that shade of gold from elementary through high school....hated being Tigers wearing purple with it. I don't like wearing yellow but will be wearing it Saturday, after not being able to make any games last year in McLane (thanks a lot Ida!) I'm just glad to be back there. At least I did get to the Sugar Bowl last year since it's close to my home.
yep. the yellow sucks.
Let's all find something to B itch about.

Remind me of all the times people complained about wearing green…
MrGolfguy
There have always been complaints & jokes about going 'full pickle'. All green is a bad look.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
historian
No matter what the team wears the fashionistas will complain.
β€œIncline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
bear2be2
BUBBFAN said:

The school is doing something special for the game Saturday. They ask fans to participate. What's the problem? Be a fan and just participate.
Our fan base has proven time and time again that this is a bridge too far.

And for the record, the crowd looked like crap on TV again. Above the lower bowl with the Line, you'd have never known there was any kind of push to have a unified color for this game.
No Longer Gold
historian said:

No matter what the team wears the fashionistas will complain.

Has nothing to do with fashion. There are no "fashionistas". It's about tradition. There are only "loyalists" that respect BU's 100+ years of tradition.
No Longer Gold
bear2be2 said:

BUBBFAN said:

Our fan base has proven time and time again that this is a bridge too far.

And for the record, the crowd looked like crap on TV again. Above the lower bowl with the Line, you'd have never known there was any kind of push to have a unified color for this game.

They should try green….
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.