Story Poster
Photo by Chris Jones-USA TODAY Sports
Baylor Football

Williams has career day as Baylor holds on to beat Oklahoma, 38-35

November 5, 2022

NORMAN, OKLA. – In a high-scoring affair, the Baylor Bears (6-3, 4-2) beat the Oklahoma Sooners (5-4, 2-4) by a score of 38-35 on Saturday afternoon at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

Chris Jones-USA TODAY Sports
Williams rushed for a career-high 192 yards and two TDs on 25 carries.

Junior running back Craig “Sqwirl” Williams carried the offense in the victory, rushing for a career-high 192 yards and two touchdowns on 25 touches. Through the air, redshirt sophomore Blake Shapen went for 132 yards and an interception on 14-of-23 passing.

On a crucial third and three with 2:06 remaining in the game, Williams broke through the line of scrimmage, cut upfield for a 43-yard gain and intentionally fell down to run out the clock and clinch Baylor’s third straight victory and fourth Big 12 victory. 

The first drive of the game concluded with Sooner quarterback Dillon Gabriel scrambling for a 10-yard touchdown to put Oklahoma up 7-0 with 11:13 remaining in the first quarter.

Baylor responded with a 63-yard drive that was capped off by a Williams 11-yard rushing touchdown. On the ensuing drive, linebacker Dillon Doyle intercepted Gabriel deep in OU territory. 

Three plays later, freshman receiver Jordan Nabors perfectly executed a jet sweep to put the Bears up 14-7 with 3:50 remaining in the first.

Later in the quarter, Williams broke free for a 51-yard rush and finished off the drive with a 1-yard rushing touchdown, his second of the day. Despite three first-half interceptions from Gabriel, Baylor only led 24-21 going into halftime.

The Bears received the ball to start the third quarter and instantly drove the length of the field to go up two scores, 31-21. This time, the TD came on the back of freshman running back Richard Reese, who muscled it in from the 2-yard line.

SicEm365
Baylor’s defense intercepted OU quarterback Dillon Gabriel three times on the afternoon.

Oklahoma followed with a seven-play, 77-yard drive to cut it back to a one-score game, 31-28, with 4:52 remaining in the third quarter.

Both defenses picked up critical stops on the following drives, but Baylor got the ball back to start the fourth quarter and completed a masterful six-minute, 80-yard drive.

Qualan Jones and Williams combined for 62 yards on the drive, and Jones rumbled into the endzone on a 10-yard touchdown to put the Bears up 38-28 with 9:15 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Oklahoma fought back with a 75-yard, five-minute drive of their own to cut the Baylor lead to 38-35. Eric Gray, who ran for 106 yards on 23 carries, finished the drive with a 1-yard rushing TD.

Discussion from...

Williams has career day as Baylor holds on to beat Oklahoma, 38-35

4,929 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by adammerve
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm guessing that 60+ carries by Reese the last two games caught the staff's attention and rested him in favor of Williams. Good the him back at back
historian
He probably wasn't 100%. I saw reports that he had been battling the flu all week.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Waco1947
historian said:

He probably wasn't 100%. I saw reports that he had been battling the flu all week.

Because BG worn down physically pulls down one's immune system.
historian
BG?
Alf
historian said:

BG?

Brittny Griner? Big Game? BeeGees, listening to too much Staying Alive?
historian
My first thought was Brittney Griner but it doesn't make sense in this context.
GrizBear
Waco1947 said:

I'm guessing that 60+ carries by Reese the last two games caught the staff's attention and rested him in favor of Williams. Good the him back at back
I'm guessing FLU caught the staff's attention. FLU.
Fre3dombear
Flu is back again after 2 year hiatus? Nobody gettin da rona no more?
Timbear
Nobody gettin the Flu no more?
Big_Pumpin
Flu Thamba
Waco1947
Glad y'all had fun with with my fat thumbs typos
adammerve
I saw reports that he had been battling the flu all week.

https://1921681001.id/ , https://19216811.cam/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.