Story Poster
Baylor Football

Gameday Thread: Baylor (6-5) faces Texas (7-4) in regular season finale

November 24, 2022

The Baylor Bears (6-5) wrap up the regular season against Texas (7-4) on Friday morning in Austin. Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. CT and will be aired live on ESPN. 

Depth Chart | Class Scholarship Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Roster

Quotes of the Week

Senior Defensive Lineman TJ Franklin

"The focus is still where it needs to be. I mean, [the staff] have done a good job by making us practice in the morning and giving us the extra time in the evening to either get extra film or take care of our bodies, do anything that we need to do to be like our final preparation for the game, so that's a big help." 

Senior Offensive Lineman Jacob Gall

"That's something we've been talking about all week and I think the thing we really come back to is that this is another chance for us to prove ourselves," Gall said. "Everybody that's kind of still been doubting us all season after the start or after any loss we've had, this is still another chance to prove to everybody the team that we actually are.""

Head Coach Dave Aranda

"I think we're stronger for it. And I think we're probably a closer team now than we were just two weeks ago. I think you find out so much about yourself, especially when there's trials, tribulations, and all of it. And when people can fully put their heart out there and then have it crushed at the end, I think it's so vulnerable to do that. And for guys to do that. And then to make the decision here to do it, again, I think, speaks to just a strong growth of the team. And we're aiming to do that."

Analysis of the Week

SicEm365 Analyst Travis Roeder

What an impossible game to predict. From a pure quality standpoint, I think this is a toss-up game. What makes it so difficult is you have to predict the team’s energy, focus, and desire. Texas still has a lot to play for (they can make the title game if they beat Baylor and Kansas beats K-State). Baylor spent themselves emotionally against TCU. Were they able to recover and gin up enough energy to one of the three best teams they’ve played this year, and play them on the road?

Baylor has the talent to make Texas one-dimensional in this game by relatively shutting down Bijan and forcing Ewers to beat them consistently. That’s Baylor’s path to winning. If they really shut down Texas’ run game like TCU was able to, Baylor can hold Texas under 24 points. We’ll see what version of Baylor’s defense we get tomorrow.

Video Of The Week

Discussion from...

Gameday Thread: Baylor (6-5) faces Texas (7-4) in regular season finale

37,978 Views | 684 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bear2be2
Hob Howelll
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This off-season will be interesting. Can't wait for all the posts about how Shapen wasn't really that bad, he will get better with some coaching etc. etc.
BQHOME
Quinton said:

Need a qb. Would be 9-3 (even with the huge deficiencies of the team) with one.

Or 11-1 as I was saying to my dad a few minutes ago.
Dia del DougO
Extremely winnable game that could change the complexion of the season just totally sharted away by OC and qb play.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
broncko
So you're saying there's a chance?
HuttoBear
Shapen is the best player for the other team no matter who we play
IowaBear
Another Blake Shapen **** Sandwich. What a failure of a season by this staff to name this guy the starter. Can't wait to get steamrolled by Troy in the Mud Bowl
FeralBear
Pardon my ignorance, but how was that not targeting? Should have been 15 yards and backed whoen up after turnover
True Grit
I believe that is his 9th INT on the season, and that doesn't even count all of the fumbles.
Quinton
Already working at a disadvantage by playing a tiny, undersized qb. At the college level that is okay if other attributes overcome it. But when the qb also has below average athleticism, poor instincts/awareness, and bad vision it just is a recipe for disaster.
KIA
FeralBear said:

Pardon my ignorance, but how was that not targeting? Should have been 15 yards and backed whoen up after turnover
There was a targeting, but technically it looked like it was after the INT. They just missed it.
DanaDane
If Aranda and Grimes truly think Shapen is the only worthy option among all the existing QBs, then they need to hit the transfer portal really hard for an actual starting QB next year.
IvanBear
BQHOME said:

Quinton said:

No chance, even if QB play was better this trash defense cannot be trusted.
HuttoBear
Well, can you hear now in the post game interview and on Monday:

"Well, I appreciate that question"
boognish_bear
ImABearToo said:

RG, Petty, Florence, et al. Blake won't be anywhere close to these BU legends.

If only we could find a QB to lead us to a 12-1 season and an NY6 bowl win
BQHOME
Quinton said:

Already working at a disadvantage by playing a tiny, undersized qb. At the college level that is okay if other attributes overcome it. But when the qb also has below average athleticism, poor instincts/awareness, and bad vision it just is a recipe for disaster.

Nailed it on all points.
coldhardtruth
boognish_bear said:

ImABearToo said:

He transferred out.
You best remember me my friend
I am the cold hard truth
-George Jones
broncko
Sorry, GB, you got the shaft.
True Grit
We need to hold them to a FG. We would still have a chance to tie.
BBWCBear
SHAPEN ain't tha GUY! GAME OVER!!! HE AIN'T THE GUY!!! 6 wins
At least THREE mishaps that cost us points.

Hob Howelll
DanaDane said:

If Aranda and Grimes truly think Shapen is the only worthy option among all the existing QBs, then they need to hit the transfer portal really hard for an actual starting QB next year.

No no no, that would not be loyal to the heir apparent that the staff named in the off-season. Person over player bro
Bigkahunaww
Really sad is no reporter at Arandas post game presser will have the balls to ask him why Drones didn't get some snaps? At least in a wildcat formation would have confused the defense.
Living the American dream in central Texas !
historian
HuttoBear said:

where is ika

Isn't he hurt? I think he's still on the sideline.
Doc Holliday
Shapen plays scared.

We need a qb who is rational and actually talented.
IowaBear
This Tulane Cincy game is awesome!!
Hob Howelll
Doc Holliday said:

Shapen plays scared.

We need a qb who is rational and actually talented.

The coaches need to pray that Novosad sticks with his commitment and does not get last second cold feet about playing in Grimes offense. Based on what I've seen, he could very well be instant starter material
DanaDane
True Grit said:

Sadly, had we made our FG, we'd still numerically have a shot to tie even if they scored a TD.
Quinton
BQHOME said:

Quinton said:

BYU, WVU (maybe but the D was terrible), and TCU are all probably guaranteed wins with upgrade at qb.

This Texas game possibly so 10-2 to 9-3. OSU and K State are probably losses either way with the deficiencies.
robby44
boognish_bear said:

ImABearToo said:

If only
Sure wish there was such a player
True Grit
True Grit said:

Or we can just roll over and die on a sure ESPN Highlight run...
whitetrash
Again, Sims was unguarded on the INT
IowaBear
"Blake Shspen gives us the best chance to win" said weeks ago Arabda was going down with the Shapen ship. Don't be shocked when Blake starts next year. Also that's int #11 that and like what 7 fumbles??
IvanBear
coldhardtruth said:

boognish_bear said:

ImABearToo said:

He transferred out.

The man you're referencing couldn't stay healthy and has zero bowl wins or championship game appearances on his resume, unless you count not active riding the bench.
Hob Howelll
Wish I was eligible for a free premium account so I could log on and tell all the sunshine pumpers that said that Blake Shapen would be Davey O'Brien material to LICK MY AZZHOLE
ImABearToo
12-2?
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
historian
True Grit said:

I believe that is his 9th INT on the season, and that doesn't even count all of the fumbles.

I think Blake has made a dozen or so INT's.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.