Colorado board meeting

8,700 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stefano DiMera
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
PartyBear
They have had at least 3 or 4 board meetings with this notice since USC and UCLA announced their departure. So in otherwords this may not be significant.
BUGWBBear
They're stag parties…Duuhhh.
Stefano DiMera
Damn..it better be significant it's the 3rd or 4th one..and especially if it's 745am... that's early for a bunch of olds..
Stefano DiMera
Supposedly Mondays meeting is an informal vote to see if there is support to leave .

And new Big 10 commish may reopen talks with Amazon to see if they can fund the Oregon -Washington move. That would be the death blow .

And apparently ESPN and FOX agree to any combinations of 4 of these 5 schools being enough to kick in the pro rata clause for the Big 12: UA ASU CO. SDSU. UCONN.
Booboo Bear
Stefano DiMera said:

And apparently ESPN and FOX agree to any combinations of 4 of these 5 schools being enough to kick in the pro rata clause for the Big 12: UA ASU CO. SDSU. UCONN.

Stefano DiMera
I thought the same about SDSU and UCONN
Individually..they don't bring the kicker..but in combo with the big state schools in PAC 12 they do.
historian
Primarily basketball. Does UConn even have a football team?
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Russell Gym
historian said:

Yep.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/282630041
BluesBear
UCONN would make zero sense - almost like Gonzaga to the B12.
CorsicanaBear
UConn is an FBS independent (like BYU) vs no football whatever for Gonzaga. Storrs is about half way between Boston and NYC. What might it bring in media exposure for the 12 in the North East?
ABC BEAR
The XII should charge Colorado a reentry fee for bailing on us before.....paid for in cash, not weed.
Bakersdozen
CO is not a fit for the Big 12.
Russell Gym
The days of "fit" are over.

Straight runnin' cash, homie, rules the day. It's The American Way. Fit is now determined by TV execs. As in politics, financial gain can make strange bedfellows.
historian
BluesBear said:

UCONN would make zero sense - almost like Gonzaga to the B12.

From a basketball perspective it makes perfect sense. A few days ago someone posted the graphic: UConn's combined programs have more natty's than anyone else, by far. They have 15 while Baylor is second in the rankings with 4.

However, it makes zero geographic sense. With the new super conferences, the trend seems to be to ignore geography almost completely (to a lesser degree in the SEC).
historian
Very cynical but unfortunately also very accurate
Alf
historian said:

Yea, we are 0-2 against them. Iirc, rg was injured in the game we lost in Waco to them.
historian
Better question: is their football team competitive? Do they even go to bowl games regularly?

If they were to join the Big 12, unlikely, then it would be mainly because of basketball. That's the only reason that makes any sense. At least WVU & Cincinnati would have someone relatively close to play every year.
blackie
historian said:

Better question: is their football team competitive? Do they even go to bowl games regularly?

If they were to join the Big 12, unlikely, then it would be mainly because of basketball. That's the only reason that makes any sense. At least WVU & Cincinnati would have someone relatively close to play every year.
Don't think 1 recently would qualify as "regularly", but they played in the Myrtle Beach Bowl this past season losing to Marshall.
ABC BEAR
UCONN could be the conference clearinghouse for all things Vegas.....How to win there, where to eat, where to stay.....where NOT to stay.
historian
Not very competitive.

Back to my original statement: only value would be in basketball.
Stefano DiMera
I know we've all been looking at this from a Big 12 perspective. But if I was Kliakovff and the PAC 12..I would have invited SDSU..UNLV..and UTSA..I just think San Antonio is an untapped market and they've proven to be a quality program.
BluesBear
I think you are spot on regarding UTSA - San Antonio is the 7th largest metro area in the US. They are clamoring for "attention" but have been suppressed by UT. Now that those *****s have jumped to be doormats in the SEC, time to add another Texas partner to the Big 12.

UTSA will invest the $$ to improve facilities, etc..
PartyBear
Additionally UTSA as part of the University of Texas system is poised to be another UCLA at some point both academically and athletically.
Bakersdozen
Russell Gym said:

Straight runnin' cash, homie, rules the day. It's The American Way. Fit is now determined by TV execs. As in politics, financial gain can make strange bedfellows.
Hardly. CU doesn't want in the Big 12. There is a big fight internally. They don't want to play Baylor or BYU. They left Big 12 for a reason. That reason remains.

Perhaps this will happen because of a new day just need to wait for another new day. One of the two constants about changes is 1) it always happens.
Russell Gym
Bakersdozen said:

Russell Gym said:

Hardly. CU doesn't want in the Big 12. There is a big fight internally. They don't want to play Baylor or BYU. They left Big 12 for a reason. That reason remains.

Perhaps this will happen because of a new day just need to wait for another new day. One of the two constants about changes is 1) it always happens.

The judgmental attitude some may have at various universities certainly cuts both ways … CU holds no monopoly on that, as is demonstrated here regularly. Cash will win the day, however - if the difference is significant. You can take that to the bank.

Hardliners, regardless of affiliation, will have to adjust … or sit at home and withdraw support.
BaylorGuy314
Bakersdozen said:

They left Big 12 for a reason. That reason remains.

Um, what kind of revisionist history is this?

The original Big 12 dissolved because of instability and inequality. Nebraska was the first to jump ship, seeing an opportunity to make more money and be apart from Texas at a time when there were flirtations between several members of the B12 and the PAC. Colorado jumped the gun shortly thereafter to secure their spot fearful that UT/OU/OSU/TT would get into the PAC and they'd be potentially left in a decimated Big 12.

Colorado to the PAC was nothing more than a reaction.
PartyBear
BaylorGuy314 said:

Bakersdozen said:

The original Big 12 dissolved because of instability and inequality. Nebraska was the first to jump ship, seeing an opportunity to make more money and be apart from Texas at a time when there were flirtations between several members of the B1G and the PAC. Colorado jumped the gun shortly thereafter to secure their spot fearful that UT/OU/OSU/TT would get into the PAC and they'd be potentially left in a decimated Big 12.

Thank you for taking the time. This is essentially what happened in a nutshell. However I just didn't feel like making an effort to give the correct version of events.
Aberzombie1892
I'm simply fascinated that we are at a point where adding Colorado is a huge deal. Deion is a great catch, but, if he's successful, he probably won't be at Colorado for long. That would then leave us with whomever hires after he would (potentially) leave.
BaylorGuy314
Aberzombie1892 said:

I'm simply fascinated that we are at a point where adding Colorado is a huge deal. Deion is a great catch, but, if he's successful, he probably won't be at Colorado for long. That would then leave us with whomever hires after he would (potentially) leave.

18 months ago we were taking a serious look at Tulane and even Tulsa as potential additions. So, yea, ill gladly take the Buffs.

But, more specifically, if CU and AZ were to jump, that's a death blow to the PAC. Their TV deal will fall apart losing those markets and it'll lead to additional defections. In 8 years when the best of the ACC gets raided, there will be solid programs available to take from there, cementing the Big 12 as a clear #3 in football and potentially #1 in basketball. That simultaneously secures Baylor's place in a nationally relevant conference and that's the ultimate goal at the moment.

Bakersdozen
BaylorGuy314 said:

Bakersdozen said:

The original Big 12 dissolved because of instability and inequality. Nebraska was the first to jump ship, seeing an opportunity to make more money and be apart from Texas at a time when there were flirtations between several members of the B12 and the PAC. Colorado jumped the gun shortly thereafter to secure their spot fearful that UT/OU/OSU/TT would get into the PAC and they'd be potentially left in a decimated Big 12.

Hardly. PAC and West Coast is a much better fit. Still is or they would have already jumped. They may jump out of a plane before it crashes (the conference) but they won't until PAC options are no longer desirable because that is their #1 choice.
Russell Gym
Aberzombie1892 said:

It is generally this way for most programs, in every conference …. if you are talking about winning driving ratings (cart before the horse for Deion at CU, but he hasn't had a chance to win yet). Baylor is included here, along with the entire rest of the new Big 12. The coach matters.

Of course, football blue blood exceptions exist that will have big ratings no matter how little they win. None are readily available to expand conferences right now, unless Notre Dame wishes to join somewhere.

I think that Yormark and the TV execs will sign (or not sign) the right combination of future Big 12 members. I had no such confidence in the prior conference leadership.
bear2be2
Bakersdozen said:

Russell Gym said:

There are no doubt some academics and alums who feel the way you describe here. But there are also some very powerful people at and around that university that have seen the largely negative impact that has come athletically as a result of Colorado's move to the PAC-12 and are not pleased. Those who want to see the university recommit itself to competing at a high level again aren't content to watch Colorado slip further into athletic mediocrity/obscurity to maintain its association with a dying conference.
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

It's not a huge deal. Big 12 fans are just excited that the league is in a position to poach anyone after the last 15 years the league has had and everything it's remaining members have been through.

I don't particularly want any of the PAC-12 schools, but most disagree with me.
Russell Gym
bear2be2 said:

I don't particularly want any of the PAC-12 schools, but most disagree with me.

I've read a lot of politically tinged posts here that express a "do not want" PAC schools position, and that's fine. I don't read that into your posts btw, be2.

For me, it's not so much politics, "fit," or a perceived slight by PAC schools or their fans. I'm most interested in what will bring stability and ratings going forward.

If that's expansion, great. If it's PAC schools, great. If it's other schools, or none at all, great. Whatever brings greater stability and earning power (ratings) going forward. That is the name of the game now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.