Story Poster
Baylor Football Recruiting

Oaks Christian (CA) QB Nate Bennett Commits to Baylor

May 18, 2023

Westlake Village (CA) Oaks Christian 2024 quarterback Nate Bennett‍ has committed to Baylor after earning his offer yesterday. He becomes commit No. 5 in the 2024 class.

BAYLOR 2024 RECRUITING CLASS COMMITMENT LIST

Bennett chose Baylor over offers from Old Dominion, San Jose State, Hawaii, Utah State, Western Michigan, Penn, Columbia, and Liberty.

“This is one of the greatest moments of my life for sure,” he said. “It was so easy to decide because of how well I connect with the staff, and how I fit with the culture of Baylor. I have so many deep rooted connections and am just eager to get Baylor fans excited about what is to come. Gonna win a lot of championships in the Green and Gold.”

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound prospect completed 66% of his passes for 1,228 yards and 14 touchdowns with nine interceptions during his junior season. His sophomore year he threw for 2,946 yards with 41 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while completing 60% of his passes. 

Discussion from...

Oaks Christian (CA) QB Nate Bennett Commits to Baylor

14,808 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by montypython
Booboo Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sic 'em, Nate!
No Quarterback
I guess this is about where we are at with recruiting quarterbacks now. Maybe the staff is shifting their focus to more realistic prospects after being left at the altar by that one guy that I won't name. I'm allowing for the potential that he may gain a lot of P5 offers, but that is not an impressive offer list. Those are so-so stats, and he doesn't look better than a Blake Shapen/Charlie Brewer level player in terms of his ceiling. Sounds like a dream come true for him, so I am glad that he is getting his shot and that he is excited.
Married A Horn
Not rated.
6'1
160 lbs
Gentle Ben
Welcome to Baylor Nate. You made a great decision!
Wicked_Wombat
'No Quarterback' -- Why do you think Baylor is/should be a top destination for a top 10-20 QB?
No Quarterback
Wicked_Wombat said:

'No Quarterback' -- Why do you think Baylor is/should be a top destination for a top 10-20 QB?

Well, there are a lot of reasons. We have brought those types of quarterbacks in before. We have put a lot of money into our program. Because I am not a defeatist, and I want to see our program succeed at a high-level. Those are just a few off the top of my head.
parch
No Quarterback said:

Wicked_Wombat said:

Well, there are a lot of reasons. We have brought those types of quarterbacks in before. We have put a lot of money into our program. Because I am not a defeatist, and I want to see our program succeed at a high-level. Those are just a few off the top of my head.
"We have brought those types of quarterbacks in before"

Twice in the history of the program? And the 3 primaries aside from us recruiting RG3 - UT, A&M and Stanford - were going to move RG3's position, so it's not like he was a universal can't miss blue chip from the jump either. So really it's just Stidham you're referring to.

Recruiting 3-star QBs (especially from a QB factory like Oaks) and succeeding at a high level are not mutually exclusive. Bryce Petty was our lowest-rated QB starter of the 2010's, an overlooked 3-star with a relatively low recruiting profile. He turned out alright.
ImwithBU
No Quarterback said:

I guess this is about where we are at with recruiting quarterbacks now. Maybe the staff is shifting their focus to more realistic prospects after being left at the altar by that one guy that I won't name. I'm allowing for the potential that he may gain a lot of P5 offers, but that is not an impressive offer list. Those are so-so stats, and he doesn't look better than a Blake Shapen/Charlie Brewer level player in terms of his ceiling. Sounds like a dream come true for him, so I am glad that he is getting his shot and that he is excited.

I know the high ranked guy is always wanted but let's not **** on this kid's ability to reach a dream. He wants to be a Baylor Bear and the staff likes him enough to offer so that's good enough for me. Not sure of why he had such a huge drop off from his sophomore year to his junior year but he is a QB factory for high schools. I expect him to be really good here
No Quarterback
He seems to have reached his dream, and I'm certainly not crapping on him for that. I'm hoping he will be the next Peyton Manning. But if anybody wants to look me in the eyes and tell me that our quarterback recruiting is on the rise and not on a decline, I don't think you can honestly do it
EvilTroyAndAbed
We're the only major school who recruited RG3 as a QB, and we got Stidham. I don't remember any other top flight QB recruits that we've gotten.
GMEiland
Maybe some or you guys should look in to the QB situation at San Francisco 49ers. AND JUST MAYBE the coaching staff sees a diamond in the rough. It seems to me that in order to compete in the current environment that this is the way to go. Maybe this guy is coachable
No Quarterback
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

We're the only major school who recruited RG3 as a QB, and we got Stidham. I don't remember any other top flight QB recruits that we've gotten.

RGIII was like the number three athlete in the nation and a high four-star with many P5 offers, so not a good comp
No Quarterback
GMEiland said:

Maybe some or you guys should look in to the QB situation at San Francisco 49ers. AND JUST MAYBE the coaching staff sees a diamond in the rough. It seems to me that in order to compete in the current environment that this is the way to go. Maybe this guy is coachable

What does the 49ers quarterback situation have to do with Baylor?

Fellas…. It's OK to take the green and gold glasses off and admit that this one is a reach and that our quarterback recruiting situation has room for improvement. I'll let it go and leave it be
pitchspork
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Most of our recent QB recruits have been solid 4 stars over the last decade. Maybe not national top 20 guys, but solid 4 stars none the less.

A mid 3 does feel like a dip on paper.

But I trust the staff sees something they like, and for now at least, that's good enough for me. Let's see what happens. I like that this kid has loyalty and love for Baylor. In this NIL transfer era portal higher ranked guys are less likely to be willing to wait their turn. That might also play into who you pick now for a long a haul prospect.
EvilTroyAndAbed
No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

RGIII was like the number three athlete in the nation and a high four-star with many P5 offers, so not a good comp

How many P5 offers at QB?
Reverend
He might develop and be good. But he won't scare anyone else off.

With our offense, I'm not sure what we're looking for.
BaylorLit 01
The difference is Briles earned our trust that he knew what he wanted at QB and would develop them into a good starter. The current staff hasn't proven yet that they can develop a QB. We haven't had good QB play since 2015 except for 1 good year from Brewer. We won bc of defense and running in 2021.
No Quarterback
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Not sure, and frankly I'm not sure anybody but RGIII really knows. If you look at this guy and then look at RGIII, it's apples to oranges. You're talking about an Olympian athlete that had barely played the game but showed great promise, very strong arm, and a very obvious insane ceiling versus a private school quarterback that does not have any elite traits, so-so stats, etc. i'm not even sure why we are talking RGIII right now. If you look at this guy and see RGIII potential…..I just don't know what to say

Changing the subject, does anybody know more about this guy? Is he just going under the radar for some reason? Is he sneakily good and the recruiting services have it wrong?
Aberzombie1892
The posters that claim that Baylor was never a QB factory in terms of recruiting have a point here - Baylor's never been an upper tier place for HS QBs as Bryce Petty, Seth Russell, Blake Shapen and Charlie Brewer were all middling 3* players. RG3, Bohannon, Drones and Stidham were higher rated, but Drones couldn't win the starting job and Bohannon lost the job to Shapen.
ImwithBU
No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Not sure, and frankly I'm not sure anybody but RGIII really knows. If you look at this guy and then look at RGIII, it's apples to oranges. You're talking about an Olympian athlete that had barely played the game but showed great promise, very strong arm, and a very obvious insane ceiling versus a private school quarterback that does not have any elite traits, so-so stats, etc. i'm not even sure why we are talking RGIII right now. If you look at this guy and see RGIII potential…..I just don't know what to say

Changing the subject, does anybody know more about this guy? Is he just going under the radar for some reason? Is he sneakily good and the recruiting services have it wrong?

Same thing I'm wondering. How does one for from 41 TDs as a sophomore to 14 as a Junior? Starting varsity as a sophomore at a large schools speaks volumes and 41 TDs is eye popping but what a huge dip or a typo by the author
EasyE
ImwithBU said:

No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Same thing I'm wondering. How does one for from 41 TDs as a sophomore to 14 as a Junior? Starting varsity as a sophomore at a large schools speaks volumes and 41 TDs is eye popping but what a huge dip or a typo by the author
He switched schools. Different level of competition as well as different schemes, personnel, and lack of time in the system.
No Quarterback
Aberzombie1892 said:

The posters that claim that Baylor was never a QB factory in terms of recruiting have a point here - Baylor's never been an upper tier place for HS QBs as Bryce Petty, Seth Russell, Blake Shapen and Charlie Brewer were all middling 3* players. RG3, Bohannon, Drones and Stidham were higher rated, but Drones couldn't win the starting job and Bohannon lost the job to Shapen.

Every single quarterback that was just mentioned had better offers than this guy. Also, let's be real, when Briles offered a quarterback, you trusted the evaluation. The current staff hasn't shown the ability to develop talent. Only other option is that we've recruited a bunch of busts at the quarterback position in Bohannon, Shapen, Drones, Zeno
robby44
Unimpressive
Kid from LA area and he doesn't have any offers from any California schools?
What stood out to entice Baylor to make an offer ?
Mitch Blood Green
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

No Quarterback said:

EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Stanford .
74Bear
I know nothing about this kid but I have often wondered why we didn't look at some qb's from California. Several years ago a friend and former BU coach Bill Yung told me "there are better qb's in California that don't get a sniff than in Texas that get fought over". Always wondered how true that was.
Mitch Blood Green
Aberzombie1892 said:

How did that turn out? Did our team improve?

I'm concerned that the person doing the QB evaluation is bad at his job.
Aberzombie1892
Mitch Blood Green said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

How did that turn out? Did our team improve?

I'm concerned that the person doing the QB evaluation is bad at his job.
How are we calculating improving?

Baylor lost all stars (for Baylor) at RB and WR and the defense fell off a relative cliff. Unless Shapen was the second coming in 2022 or Baylor pulled in some big-time transfers in the offseason, Baylor wasn't going to be as good in 2022 as it was in 2021 as it doesn't recruit well enough across the board for that to be the case.

I'm simply saying that some posers are moving the goal posts too frequently for everyone else to take them seriously. They complain about 3* QB recruits vs 4* QB recruits, but most of Baylor's recent starters at that position have been 3*s even when 4* were available on the roster. Those posters then complain about QB development but conveniently ignore (1) the losses at skill positions, (2) that some of the years in question were a QB's first year as a starter (i.e. 2022), and (3) that Baylor does not recruit well by averaging less than 4 blue chip players per recruiting class throughout Aranda/Rhule/Briles (maybe even less than 3).
Married A Horn
This guy isnt a 3*. He's not rated.
Aberzombie1892
Married A Horn said:

He's a 3* as rated by 247 and he's a 3* as compiled by 247 across several recruiting sites.

Here: Nate Bennett, Oaks Christian, Quarterback (247sports.com)
Married A Horn
He got that after he committed to us then. And a very low 3*. Rivals still hasnt rated.
Aberzombie1892
Married A Horn said:

He got that after he committed to us then. And a very low 3*. Rivals still hasnt rated.
Rivals gives him 3*. It's beneficial to perform some research.

Here: Nate Bennett, 2024 Pro Style Quarterback, Baylor (rivals.com)
Married A Horn
These just popped up. When it was announced i looked and he wasnt rated.
robby44
Married A Horn said:

Also he doesn't have any offers from any power 5 schools
Are we in position to make such a huge reach at a critical position?
EvilTroyAndAbed
So it sounds like we need to pull his offer. Glad we've got this brain trust working overtime.
robby44
I guess we can hope we may have gotten in early and found a baller before the other schools were aware
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.