Football
Sponsored by

Kendal Briles Controversy

4,159 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by bear2be2
Mitch Henessey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Either the guy is the unluckiest dude in the world, or he's actually a problem.

His former QB at Arky is facing sexual assault charges, and the victims are alleging the school and team knew about them and did nothing.

Also, if you have the history KB does, why the EFF would you name protection schemes this?
No Quarterback
Mitch Henessey said:

His former QB at Arky is facing sexual assault charges, and the victims are alleging the school and team knew about them and did nothing.

Also, if you have the history KB does, why the EFF would you name protection schemes this?

Indicative that the guy probably feels zero remorse for what happened under his watch, and frankly it's not like his career has been affected by it thus far anyways
Waco1947
No Quarterback said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Indicative that the guy probably feels zero remorse for what happened under his watch, and frankly it's not like his career has been affected by it thus far anyways
Thinking TCU fans think his hiring is an atrocity
Waco1947
PartyBear
It seemed on social media that alot of TCU alums were very critical of Sonny and the AD of the hiring of Briles back around the time of hiring. I bet that the heat is even worse for them.
bear2be2
Are some of us just now coming to grips with the fact that this ne'er do well is a total scumbag?

None of this should surprise anyone at this point.

Also, I covered Renfro in high school at Stephenville. I remember that he originally committed to North Texas before decommitting and signing with Ole Miss. I didn't really follow his college career after that. But from reading some of that stuff, that dude sounds like a predator, straight up. He needs to be behind bars.
Reverend
Re-read this stuff without a pre-programmed mind. If I was any kind of a public figure I'd never look at social media. It's 99% crap… then swallowed and re-crapped.
bear2be2
Reverend said:

Re-read this stuff without a pre-programmed mind. If I was any kind of a public figure I'd never look at social media. It's 99% crap… then swallowed and re-crapped.
Renfro had allegations (plural) at Ole Miss and added more to his ledger at Arkansas. The guy was, by many accounts, a serial abuser.

And his football career took him from Stephenville to Ole Miss (where Jeff Lebby was OC) to Arkansas (where Kendal Briles was OC).

At this point, you have to be clueless by choice to ignore the obvious through line here.
EvilTroyAndAbed
bear2be2 said:

Reverend said:

Renfro had allegations (plural) at Ole Miss and added more to his ledger at Arkansas. The guy was, by many accounts, a serial abuser.

And his football career took him from Stephenville to Ole Miss (where Jeff Lebby was OC) to Arkansas (where Kendal Briles was OC).

At this point, you have to be clueless by choice to ignore the obvious through line here.

I understand everything but the Stephenville part. He was QB there, when? In 2018? What does that have to do with anything?
Reverend
You're proving my point.
bear2be2
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

bear2be2 said:

Reverend said:

I understand everything but the Stephenville part. He was QB there, when? In 2018? What does that have to do with anything?
There was a connection there that put Renfro on Lebby's -- and later Briles' -- radar. Kade was a lightly recruited QB with only G5 offers for a long time. He switched to Ole Miss in December of his senior season.

If Renfro was just some random quarterback from Snyder or Midland Greenwood, he likely never gets one chance with the Briles clan, much less two.

But that family runs its recruiting process/program like a small-town high school -- thinking it can take on and bury problems the same way Art did for years at Stephenville. They're a bunch of morally questionable amateurs who happen to be football savants -- or at least have a football savant as a patriarch.
PartyBear
The hate is strong in this one.
Fre3dombear
I think everyone has realized there's literally one place in college sports willing to self immolate

Starts with a B
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

The hate is strong in this one.
I don't hate Art Briles. I just see him -- and his good-for-nothing son and son-in-law -- for what they are.

The wins they brought to Waco clouded (and continue to cloud) the vision of far too many Baylor fans.
Reverend
I'm pretty sure you ain't any smarter than a lot of people who may have the same or better knowledge.

Don't state your ugly opinions as fact.
DallasBear9902
What kind of favor was owed back in Stephenville? I get the kid making it to Ole Miss, but how does Jeff Lebby not warn off the younger Briles? Either they were unaware of the Ole Miss allegations or they owed somebody a favor and brought the dirrbag to Arkansas.

Also, the Twitter poster is right: even under the best of circumstances giving your playbook crude sexual terms is questionable. But it's unconscionable given the history here. Was it KB that was alleged to tell recruits there were lots of white girls for them in Waco?
Stefano DiMera
Kendall is a miserable human. I posted this ad nauseum when it happened but when Zack Smith threw three straight picks against KState I literally watched him come to the bench and not one assistant coach come up to him each time to coach him up..put a headset on him .give him an ipad to look at coverages.. nothing..and Kendall was on the sidelines.
bear2be2
DallasBear9902 said:

What kind of favor was owed back in Stephenville? I get the kid making it to Ole Miss, but how does Jeff Lebby not warn off the younger Briles? Either they were unaware of the Ole Miss allegations or they owed somebody a favor and brought the dirrbag to Arkansas.

Also, the Twitter poster is right: even under the best of circumstances giving your playbook crude sexual terms is questionable. But it's unconscionable given the history here. Was it KB that was alleged to tell recruits there were lots of white girls for them in Waco?
I think this is making the situation more complicated than it is. The Brileses simply don't care about character. Art essentially said as much at a booster function when he was at Baylor. If a guy has the talent to help a team they're coaching, they'll overlook a lot. Talent is priority 1, 2 and 3.

It's a ridiculous -- and apparently uncurable -- blind spot with that family, which has seemed to learn nothing from its many mistakes.
BUBBFAN
Once the press and social media label you bad people, you remain bad people.
ImABearToo
BDS is a terrible illness.
(Briles Derangement Syndrome)
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
vanillabryce
1. KB having 'raw' and 'lube' plays is ridiculous and demonstrative of his maturity and shows he has little understanding or lack of care about what transpired
2. I'll wait for the facts to come out on what Arkansas did or did not know - same with Ole Miss. It seems hard to imagine that this guy went under the radar.
3. Were the police never involved??? This guys seems like he was psychotic menace.
4. I've stopped looking at coaches being molders of men. I think it's a business and with the transfer portal and NIL it's moved to even more of a transactional relationship. Coach/school extracts value from player, and in turn player extracts value from school and staff. If athletes become employees eventually then that further degrades.
bear2be2
BUBBFAN said:

Once the press and social media label you bad people, you remain bad people.
Particularly when you continue to reinforce that notion with your actions -- or lack thereof.
Russell Gym
"RAW" and "LUBE"

What a hostile and demeaning environment for females in the program.

What an utter embarrassment to the coaching profession.

What a missed opportunity for a coach to make positive adjustments following a negative chapter in his career.

The guy has learned nothing. Keep selling women as meat.

What a pathetic showing for posters here to defend this guy.

There is more known in the coaching ranks. Absolutely sickening.
Fre3dombear
How does anyone know if anything said is legit?

If so…stupid

The fact baylor did what it did and these guys get jobs anywhere even tcu where the media never cared about their scandals under patterson is pretty funny.

BU82EX
Fre3dombear said:

If so…stupid

The fact baylor did what it did and these guys get jobs anywhere even tcu where the media never cared about their scandals under patterson is pretty funny.

Actually pretty sad....
Russell Gym
Fre3dombear said:

The Briles L & R slide protection terminology
"RAW" and "LUBE"
is common knowledge.

It will be interesting to see if Dykes allows "RAW" and "LUBE" as a part of TCU Football terminology going forward. Classy.

Reverend
What exactly is "common knowledge"? A little dash of "personal knowledge" always helps.
Russell Gym
Reverend said:

What exactly is "common knowledge"? A little dash of "personal knowledge" always helps.

In this case, "common knowledge" means that it is widely known in the coaching community that Briles has employed the terms RAW and LUBE to describe a slide protection scheme in his offense.
Reverend
Is there a difference between "widely known" and "common knowledge"? Curious.
PartyBear
Maybe he does use those terms. I certainly do not know but you are saying if one asked he the defensive end coach at Oregon St what Kendal Briles terms are in his play book, you are saying he would know? I think that is what "common knowledge among the coaching profession" means.
Reverend
You might want to work on the grammatical construction of that response.

Anyway, I haven't googled the key words to this discussion, but I haven't seen it anywhere else.
Russell Gym
I can't give an exact number, but rather than shift the discussion away from KBriles use of "RAW" and "LUBE" in his slide protection terminology, I'll ask you these questions, Reverend …

Do you support the use of these terms? Does it create a respectful environment for the females working in the football program? What does the use of these sexually explicit terms in a football program communicate, in your opinion?

It will be interesting to see if Dykes allows "RAW" and "LUBE" as a part of TCU Football terminology going forward. Because, if he does, it also represents Dykes and TCU Football going forward as well.
Reverend
I wouldn't use those terms. It's poor judgment considering his circumstances. Primarily because of people like you. I've heard much, much worse many, many times, as I'm sure you have, too.

Again, I've not seen any mention of this outside this forum. For whatever that's worth.

Im done.
parch
More to the point, KB was named in a deposition, the contents of which were not legally rebutted or refuted, by a former Baylor recruit in TCU's very Metroplex as having used "white women" who "love athletes" as a recruiting lure. You attract what you sell.

Whether or not this is prevalent nationwide, surely we, let alone TCU, should aspire to higher than this? Especially because KB has never expressed an iota of public remorse or contrition for these things, leading to a very reasonable person to conclude he's learned nothing from it?
bear2be2
Russell Gym said:

I can't give an exact number, but rather than shift the discussion away from KBriles use of "RAW" and "LUBE" in his slide protection terminology, I'll ask you these questions, Reverend …

Do you support the use of these terms? Does it create a respectful environment for the females working in the football program? What does the use of these sexually explicit terms in a football program communicate, in your opinion?

It will be interesting to see if Dykes allows "RAW" and "LUBE" as a part of TCU Football terminology going forward. Because, if he does, it also represents Dykes and TCU Football going forward as well.
The hire of Kendal Briles in first place already does that. I lost a lot of respect for Dykes with that completely unforced error. But you reap what you sow.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.