Football
Sponsored by

Big 12 expansion eyes Memphis, 'substantive' talks with Colorado, per reports

17,891 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by boognish_bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Aberzombie1892
gobears20 said:

If Memphis makes "so much sense", why didn't the Big 12 add them in 2022, 2016, 2012....? I don't buy it, and it sounds like the Big 12 talking heads are coping with their pushing of the league adding Memphis.
Robert Wilson
Aberzombie1892 said:

gobears20 said:

If Memphis makes "so much sense", why didn't the Big 12 add them in 2022, 2016, 2012....? I don't buy it, and it sounds like the Big 12 talking heads are coping with their pushing of the league adding Memphis.
Maybe because they didn't make the best decision? I think Memphis has been a good fit for a long time. Very similar to Cincy.
PartyBear
There is no rush at this time to add schools like Memphis. Are some worried the ACC or Pac will grab them if the XII doesnt to replace someone from the ACC or Pac who bolts to the SEC, BiG or XII? The XII does not need to expand for the sake of saying they expanded. There is no rush to get to 16 or 18 by taking just anyone out there interested in joining.
Redbrickbear
PartyBear said:

There is no rush at this time to add schools like Memphis. Are some worried the ACC or Pac will grab them if the XII doesnt to replace someone from the ACC or Pac who bolts to the SEC, BiG or XII? The XII does not need to expand for the sake of saying they expanded. There is no rush to get to 16 or 18 by taking just anyone out there interested in joining.
Amen

Memphis will always be there....like the fat chick at the bar come closing time....you can always call her later.
Robert Wilson
PartyBear said:

That's the line of thinking that got the Pac where it is today. Faux elitism and inaction.
blackie
Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

That's the line of thinking that got the Pac where it is today. Faux elitism and inaction.
There is truth to both of the above seemingly conflicting opinions. Fortunately, hopefully, the people whose pay grades in this area are far above ours, have the facts and data and the knowledge and future vision to determine which is the best road to travel.
MT_Bear
Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Bull***** The Big XII just added 4 schools and at least one other P5 conference is in immediate danger of criming while another is unhappy (to put it mildly). The PAC lost their biggest brand and sat around doing nothing despite knowing it would make them the smallest P5 conference. The Big XII currently saying "maybe later" to another G5 program is absolutely nothing like the PAC's decade-long turning down of other P5 programs.
PartyBear
Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

It is called pragmatism where the XII is concerned today. Unless you can explain what other conference is racing against the XII to get Memphis before the XII potentially decides to. And if one of them is, why?
bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

gobears20 said:

Maybe because they didn't make the best decision? I think Memphis has been a good fit for a long time. Very similar to Cincy.
I definitely agree with you in regards to 2016. The league just screwed up then by not expanding. As for 2022, I think there were just more good adds than there was room for at the time. Memphis is not substantially worse than any of the three American schools we added. They just lost the sweepstakes for a handful of circumstantial reasons.
bear2be2
Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

It's also the mindset that put the Big 12 on the brink of extinction before wising up by necessity.

The Big 12 doesn't need to add. But if UConn, Memphis or San Diego State help accomplish a long-term goal, you don't wait in the hopes that some mid ACC program will take that spot 10 years from now.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

It is called pragmatism where the XII is concerned today. Unless you can explain what other conference is racing against the XII to get Memphis before the XII potentially decides to. And if one of them is, why?
It's not about what other conferences are doing. It's about building the best and most sustainable Big 12 conference you can. ****ting on programs that could help us do that is counterproductive.

The Big 12 needs to be judging programs on their merits and potential, not on what conference they last played in.
PartyBear
So again if the XII doesn't rush to invite them tomorrow. Who else is? What is the rush to add Memphis and let them take a spot that could say be a slot for Miami or Va Tech or someone like that if we are patient? Can someone who thinks it is an emergency and we need Memphis now or we become the PAC also explain what they know about their media rights value?
Aberzombie1892
PartyBear said:

So again if the XII doesn't rush to invite them tomorrow. Who else is? What is the rush to add Memphis and let them take a spot that could say be a slot for Miami or Va Tech or someone like that if we are patient? Can someone who thinks it is an emergency and we need Memphis now or we become the PAC also explain what they know about their media rights value?
The only argument people can make is that the Big 12 commissioner is potentially waiving the white flag on football and is therefore willing to target basketball programs (either basketball only or basketball with weak football) in order to pump up the value of the (likely) separate basketball deal when it comes time for the Big 12 to renew its rights. Basically, the commish would-be building basketball to the detriment of football based on the (potentially faux) belief that football is what it is at this point.
CorsicanaBear
The only way basketball can be separately monetized to a greater degree is if the NCAA is taken out of the tournament equation. The extra money is tied up in the funds the NCAA takes to use to fund sub D-1 activities and even D-1 activities like track championships. All the other basketball revenue already comes to the schools and the conferences and is likely already maximized. If it hasn't been maximized people should be fired.
Aberzombie1892
CorsicanaBear said:

The only way basketball can be separately monetized to a greater degree is if the NCAA is taken out of the tournament equation. The extra money is tied up in the funds the NCAA takes to use to fund sub D-1 activities and even D-1 activities like track championships. All the other basketball revenue already comes to the schools and the conferences and is likely already maximized. If it hasn't been maximized people should be fired.
My understanding is that the commish wants to separate basketball and football during the next round of Big 12 media negotiations, and, if that is true, I can see why he would be all-in on basketball programs.
CorsicanaBear
He could try that, but I don't think he would get any more money than what we are getting now plus the value of any basketball only schools he added. Which he can get today and that I would argue is destructive to the league and, therefore, not worth the chase.

Being unequal destroyed the Big East. QED.

B12 schools need to be equal partners to maintain league stability.

The only way to unlock additional value from Basketball is to unshackle the tournament from subsidizing NCAA activities. There is likely no additional revenue from college basketball that is not already being made somewhere. It can only be shifted from one pocket to another.

Aberzombie1892
CorsicanaBear said:

He could try that, but I don't think he would get any more money than what we are getting now plus the value of any basketball only schools he added. Which he can get today and that I would argue is destructive to the league and, therefore, not worth the chase.

Being unequal destroyed the Big East. QED.

B12 schools need to be equal partners to maintain league stability.

The only way to unlock additional value from Basketball is to unshackle the tournament from subsidizing NCAA activities. There is likely no additional revenue from college basketball that is not already being made somewhere. It can only be shifted from one pocket to another.

I agree that that hypothetical approach is problematic and is not good for the solidarity of the league, but, to play devil's advocate and to phrase is delicately, people can only believe that the basketball vs football approach is the beginning of the end if they don't already believe that the end has already started - which it has (i.e. B1G/SEC consolidation).
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

which it has (i.e. B1G/SEC consolidation)
That is entirely possible. But that assumes only football aggregates. I would predict that when BIG/SEC merge with each other they will pull in additional schools to get to the heretofore mythical 64 team league and will take basketball with them. They will pull out of the NCAA entirely and have their own basketball tournament to get the revenue currently going to the NCAA. Football revenues for non Big64 members will plummet and basketball revenues will be worth even less.
Aberzombie1892
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

which it has (i.e. B1G/SEC consolidation)
That is entirely possible. But that assumes only football aggregates. I would predict that when BIG/SEC merge with each other they will pull in additional schools to get to the heretofore mythical 64 team league and will take basketball with them. They will pull out of the NCAA entirely and have their own basketball tournament to get the revenue currently going to the NCAA. Football revenues for non Big64 members will plummet and basketball revenues will be worth even less.

Maybe. I'm not sure that the B1G/SEC would be open to doubling their membership if/when they break off (32->64). Personally, I don't see the positives of doing so, and, the negatives are many (too many less valuable programs, too many meaningless games between either mediocre or low viewership teams, etc.).
Jayballer
Aberzombie1892 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

My understanding is that the commish wants to separate basketball and football during the next round of Big 12 media negotiations, and, if that is true, I can see why he would be all-in on basketball programs.
That is what Yomark has said, he wants to try and seperate the two. He says he wants to look into the possibility of total different Media deal in basketball.. - That's why they looking at U Conn & Gonzaga although I think they have backed off Gonzaga I think
MT_Bear
CorsicanaBear said:

He could try that, but I don't think he would get any more money than what we are getting now

Well, maybe, but he's said multiple times he thinks there's more to get out of basketball and obviously he understands the situation much, much better than you or I.
historian
Aberzombie1892 said:

gobears20 said:

The Big 12 didn't add Memphis or anyone else in 2012, 2016, or earlier because Texas blocked any such action, or at least that was reported the last time there were serious talks. As for 2022, I don't know why they were not considered. Geographically the make more sense then UCF (although Florida is undoubtedly prime recruiting territory & Orlando is a better media market). Maybe they were the fifth option behind UCF and the cutoff was four. This is pure speculation.

The reason for not looking at them in 2023 is easy: they are not P5. It was reported that the new media deal gives everyone the same payout even if we add more P5 schools, but not G5. No one wants to see their share reduced to help out Memphis. We probably still have a better chance grabbing 2-4 Pac 10 schools & maybe some ACC schools in a few years.

Memphis could help their long-term chances by upgrading their facilities & winning more football games, & other sports too. Getting to the playoffs or making a NY6 bowl a few times & making deep runs in March Madness, especially MBB, would make them more attractive to any conference looking to expand.
Assassin
historian said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

gobears20 said:

The Big 12 didn't add Memphis or anyone else in 2912, 2016, or earlier because Texas blocked any such action, or at least that was reported the last time there were serious talks.
I remember that. Thanks goodness they are on their way out
Assassin
JP1037
We don't need and we should not want Memphis under current circumstances. We are no longer desperate for stability. Take the very best schools available who are not in the SEC or Big10.
historian
Heck, if we could swipe some from SEC or Big 10 we should, not that that is ever going to happen!
Assassin
historian said:

Heck, if we could swipe some from SEC or Big 10 we should, not that that is ever going to happen!
Works for me... call the AD at Ohio State and Alabama. Its worth a shot.... ;^)
BearBall
You can work as hard as you want trying to salvage the B12 but Baylor better be trying to get into the B10 or SEC. That's the future of college football.
MT_Bear
BearBall said:

You can work as hard as you want trying to salvage the B12 but Baylor better be trying to get into the B10 or SEC. That's the future of college football.

Neither of those is ever going to happen.
JP1037
BearBall said:

I am not interested in pro ball maintained from the pocket books of alumni and alumni owned businesses.
Stefano DiMera

Stefano DiMera

Assassin
Stefano DiMera said:

Big ouch for teams not named Ducks or Huskies
ScottS
#TimeToBail

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.