Matt Rhule interview
Rhule QBs Blanchard
Baylor Phil Snow
Baylor Football

Gameday Thread: Baylor vs. Liberty

September 2, 2017

BAYLOR (0-0) vs. LIBERTY (0-0)

McLane Stadium | 6 p.m. CT | FS2

Depth Chart | Class Breakdown | Schedule | Big 12 Standings | Baylor Staff | Baylor Roster

ANU SOLOMON THE STARTING QB

After a spring, summer and fall battle between graduate transfer Anu Solomon, returning four-game starter Zach Smith, and true freshman and early enrollee Charlie Brewer, Solomon earned the starting position on Tuesday afternoon.

After arriving in January, Solomon went through spring drills and created the race between he and Smith, a 2016 four-game, as well Brewer, a true freshman who arrived in Waco as an early graduate.

In three seasons at Arizona, Solomon threw for 6,922 yards, 49 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. In his two full seasons for the Wildcats in 2014 and 2015, Solomon averaged 258.4 yards and slightly under two passing touchdowns per game.

During final season for Arizona in 2016, Solomon missed seven games due to injury.

SIDENOTE STORYLINE

Eight Bears will earn first career starts

Safety, Jairon McVea (Redshirt Freshman)

Center, Ryan Miller (True Freshman)

Linebacker, Jalen Pitre (True Freshman)

Cornerback, Harrison Hand (True Freshman)

Receiver, Tony Nicholson (Sophomore)

Running Back, JaMycal Hasty (Sophomore)

Defensive End, Brian Nance (Senior)

Safety, Chris Miller (Sophomore)

MATT RHULE QUOTE OF THE WEEK

On what Jalen Pitre means to Baylor…

“I think the reasons why he decided to stay here, his character, his integrity, his loyalty, the family that he comes from. I mean I really met him when we met for breakfast at the Olive Branch on his official visit when I sat down and said “hey, how are you doing, I’m Matt Rhule,” so it wasn’t like I even did a home visit with him and went to his house, because I got here so late. But I think those characteristics are why he’s a good player. He’s talented, but a lot of kids are talented. It’s that special something, that it-factor, to me, that makes you want to keep a guy and makes you want to play with a guy. Sometimes you’ll see me tweet out “OOU”, that guy’s “One Of Us”. I want to go win with that guy. That’s what Jalen is, and we’ve got a lot of those guys here. I’m going to show the team, I’ve got a guy that played for me at Temple that is playing for the Texans, and he actually came here and trained all offseason. He’s just one of us. And Jalen reminds me of him. He’s going to do whatever it takes for us to win. And if you’ve got a bunch of guys where it’s not about them but about the team, you’ve got a chance to have a great team.”

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Jim Black
S, Jairon McVea

A walk-on safety, McVea is being pushed into the starting lineup for Baylor's season opener due to injuries and suspensions. Matt Rhule has noted his 4.38 40-yard dash offseason time and mentioned he is as talented as some of those with scholarships already. He will be asked to play and play a lot against Liberty.

Jim Black
RB, JaMycal Hasty

Hasty played the 2016 season as Baylor's No. 3 back behind Shock Linwood and Terence Williams, but now he is asked to carry the load for the first few games of 2017 as Williams is recovering from injury. Hasty rushed for over 600 yards as a freshman and will need to step his game up even more this fall.

Todd Nickle
WR, Denzel Mims

The emergence of the young group of receivers in Waco allowed Blake Lynch to become a utility man in 2017. That group was highlighted by Mims as an outside receiver with a lot of speed and length. The former four-star will need to grow into the role, but he is talented enough to be a go-to receiver.

Jim Black
QB, Anu Solomon

Solomon was named the starting quarterback earlier this week and now he takes over for the 28th start of his college career. He will need to prove to be accurate and mobile, but most importantly he will need to prove to stay healthy. The starting QB job will be won in weeks three and four.

Discussion from...

*** Official Gameday Thread: Baylor vs. Liberty

163,087 Views | 1048 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gerb
LionBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

GoldBear said:

Wow. This thread is what's really embarrassing. Sounds like a bunch of old world Baylor fans. Our offense can score and we are missing a single digit defensive guy. Look at the impact our single digit true frosh had. There's a lot to be excited about. Once D gets their head out of their ass we know we will get stops. Bad decisions were made, yes. But c'mon people. Have some dignity. Watch Liberty go undefeated.
So how many Big XII games do you predict Baylor wins this year?

Not many.

Which is what happens in the year (or more) after a major / mind warping scandal of epic
proportions.
REX
GoldBear said:

Wow. This thread is what's really embarrassing. Sounds like a bunch of old world Baylor fans. Our offense can score and we are missing a single digit defensive guy. Look at the impact our single digit true frosh had. There's a lot to be excited about. Once D gets their head out of their ass we know we will get stops. Bad decisions were made, yes. But c'mon people. Have some dignity. Watch Liberty go undefeated.

Okay
bobo
This squarely on the staff and damn right it was embarrassing. No matter the state of the program and the affects of the scandal the coaches got their collective asses handed to them
GoldBear
Oldbear83 said:

GoldBear said:

Too early to tell. Let them make adjustments. We'll take it one game at a time. All I'm saying is that there are a lot more positives than people are making out.
LionBear
Oldbear83 said:

TV55 said:

Chanceux said:

TV55 said:

katy007 said:

Phil is still the DC.

I said this to my kid - OMG Phil Bennett is still here running our D!

No disguised blitzes
No QB pressure ever
No turning our heads to play the ball

Wow. Just wow.

I apologize to UT for laughing at you earlier. At least you guys lost to a real team.
Yall boys need to quit crapping on Bennett.

He never lost to a philosophy.

Embearassing.

Bennett sucked. He was terrible. Let's see how Snow adjusts from here. Bennett never could and never did. He was pathetic.
Yet no Bennett defense ever gave up 40+ points to an FCS team.

So, Snow really is worse, God knows how, but he is.

And Bennett never had a team with only one recruit that stayed over... this is called reality hitting.
Chanceux
TV55 said:

Oldbear83 said:

GoldBear said:

Not many.

Which is what happens in the year (or more) after a major / mind warping scandal of epic
proportions.
We lost to LIBERTY, BUBBA!

Liberty! What in the sam heck are you rambling on about!?

There ain't no excuse on this earth that is acceptable! You wanna be on tarp duty with the other sissies!?
Oldbear83
TV55 said:

Oldbear83 said:

TV55 said:

BaylorRTS said:

tonight's disaster was one step. We will be fine over time. Hang in there everyone...

I have this impression the crew of the Titanic said much the same to the passengers after they 'bumped' an iceberg ...

Really? Get real, dude. After what happened last year did you think we would just be able to flip a switch with one recruit and a whole new staff and everything was going to be the same?

Really? That's not how life works. That's now how this was ever going to work at BU this year. Get real.
We just lost at home to Liberty. You get real.

I love the Bears but I have seen this before. Rhule did not have the team ready for an FCS team, they will get mauled by Duke and the Big XII. 3 wins is now the "best case" scenario, and that's inexcusable. Yes, I know about the losses in talent but tonight was way below what this team could accomplish.

That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Chanceux
Oldbear83 said:

TV55 said:

Oldbear83 said:

TV55 said:

BaylorRTS said:

tonight's disaster was one step. We will be fine over time. Hang in there everyone...

I have this impression the crew of the Titanic said much the same to the passengers after they 'bumped' an iceberg ...

Really? Get real, dude. After what happened last year did you think we would just be able to flip a switch with one recruit and a whole new staff and everything was going to be the same?

Really? That's not how life works. That's now how this was ever going to work at BU this year. Get real.
We just lost at home to Liberty. You get real.

I love the Bears but I have seen this before. Rhule did not have the team ready for an FCS team, they will get mauled by Duke and the Big XII. 3 wins is now the "best case" scenario, and that's inexcusable. Yes, I know about the losses in talent but tonight was way below what this team could accomplish.

Liberty!
Yogi
Yogi said:

O/U on attendance at final home game this season:

BTW, is the tarp still available if we need it?
Chanceux
Somebody offer the Houston evacuees a refund.
txturtlegirl
Bruiser85 said:

Gonna be a long year. I guess we are seeing the results of losing 2 recruiting classes. Really sad.

This. I know I was negative earlier, but this is not an excuse, it's a fact. We are going to spend some time rebuilding and giving the new guys and the system time to develop.
Yes, we lost...by 3 points. I'm not happy, but I'm not ready to write this team or the coaching staff off.
merckywaters
Yogi said:

Yogi said:

O/U on attendance at final home game this season:

BTW, is the tarp still available if we need it?

https://sicem365.com/forums/2/topics/12922
#FreeCinque
Oldbear83
txturtlegirl said:

Bruiser85 said:

Gonna be a long year. I guess we are seeing the results of losing 2 recruiting classes. Really sad.

This. I know I was negative earlier, but this is not an excuse, it's a fact. We are going to spend some time rebuilding and giving the new guys and the system time to develop.
Yes, we lost...by 3 points. I'm not happy, but I'm not ready to write this team or the coaching staff off.
We lost at home to Liberty.

What happens against the really good teams will be very difficult to watch.

And just think about what potential recruits will see.

We are headed for a new Dark Ages in football.

Chanceux
Oldbear83 said:

txturtlegirl said:

Bruiser85 said:

It aint just losing the games. Rhule might have just lost his dadgum team. Jon Snow shouldn't even look them boys in the eyes.
Sprite
Chanceux said:

Oldbear83 said:

txturtlegirl said:

Bruiser85 said:

It aint just losing the games. Rhule might have just lost his dadgum team. Jon Snow shouldn't even look them boys in the eyes.
The old players are being rapidly replaced with people we stole from the likes of Liberty anyway so it shouldn't be too bad.
Oldbear83
Hasty out 4 weeks

Not that we were going to win any of those games, anyway ...
jdmcnugent
Twitter espn1660 for the press conferences
cowboycwr
jdmcnugent said:

I listened to his comments up until he started taking questions and I was not impressed.
Oldbear83
cowboycwr said:

jdmcnugent said:

I listened to his comments up until he started taking questions and I was not impressed.
Rhule had all summer to prepare for Liberty but he wasn't ready. Small wonder he can't handle a press conference after that humiliation.
SteelCurtain
Grumpy said:

Why am I having flashbacks to Baylor early 2000s defense?

Because it resembles it.
Assassin
Roll Count

Did any Sicem posters commit suicide last night?

Baylor coaches?

Baylor players?

Just checking. Really fearful for folks lives after reading this thread.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Oldbear83
We are set for the worst season in Baylor Football since Bill Beall.

Get ready for a lot of disappointment.
EastTXBUBear
Let's not overreact! Remember 6-0 last year? We were all flying high, and then what happened? We could very easily be 2-1 going into OU. This season is going to be tough, but let's not jump of the ledge.
Oldbear83
EastTXBUBear said:

Let's not overreact! Remember 6-0 last year? We were all flying high, and then what happened? We could very easily be 2-1 going into OU. This season is going to be tough, but let's not jump of the ledge.
Not unless last night's team is gone by next week, replaced by one which is much-better coached, prepared, and focused.

I love Baylor and will cheer them no matter what, but we will lose most of our games, and badly. If we do better than that I will be delighted, but after last night only a fool would believe we will have a winning record at any point this season.
JusHappy2BeHere
BaylorRTS said:

The most annoying thing about this is that I'm sure all of Art's "family" is looking at this debacle and going to bed feeling nice and fuzzy.

Don't know about the family but I'm betting Art was really sad and pissed off for the kids
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
JusHappy2BeHere
GoldBear said:

Liberty lost to Coastal Carolina and College of Charleston last fall in a 6-5 season of FCS Ball
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
njcooper5
I agree that Art was probably really disappointed for the kids that stuck it out and have started off this way.
57Bear
GABear78 said:

Worst losses in BU history has a new number 1. This game just edged unlv!
Yes, but the record may not last long - there are 11 more games this year.
57Bear
Oldbear83 said:

Bruiser85 said:

A loss like this is not going to help future classes ...
FIFY: A loss like this is not going to help future ...
57Bear
EastTXBUBear said:

Let's not overreact! Remember 6-0 last year? We were all flying high, and then what happened? ...
THE BOR! Don't rub it in, we all remember.

BaylorBU17
This team just did not appear to be well conditioned or in great physical shape. I am not sure who is the strength coach for football, but he is partial to blame for this performance. We got pushed around on all side of the ball by an FCS school. I know for a fact that a team preparing for battle day in and day out with Kaz Kazadi would have looked completely different Saturday night. Kaz prepared our players physically, but also trained our players mentally to be fierce competitors and fear no other team. I give Kaz a lot of credit for our takeover of the Big XII over the past 8 years. I did not see the effort and physical play like we have over the past few years in last nights game.
NoBSU
In Answer to the question that many of you should be asking, November 10, 2017

Baylor MBB vs. Central Arkansas in Waco.
JusHappy2BeHere
NoBSU said:

In Answer to the question that many of you should be asking, November 10, 2017

Baylor MBB vs. Central Arkansas in Waco.
gerb

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.