Has Baylor "quiet quit" on football?

6,709 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by boykin_spaniel
Got Mulk?
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guitarbiscuit said:

guadalupeoso said:

oorahpa said:

Linda is Woke and has shown no interest in returning Baylor to our former position in football.
We literally had the best season in school history during her tenure as president. literally.

We had the best season in history despite her, not because of her. Akin to the Astros managing to win the WS last year despite Dusty Baker.

For your post to make any sense, it would have read "Akin to the Astros managing to win the WS last year despite Jim Crane."

Linda isn't the coach.

Guitarbiscuit
Got Mulk? said:

Guitarbiscuit said:

guadalupeoso said:

oorahpa said:

Linda is Woke and has shown no interest in returning Baylor to our former position in football.
We literally had the best season in school history during her tenure as president. literally.

We had the best season in history despite her, not because of her. Akin to the Astros managing to win the WS last year despite Dusty Baker.

For your post to make any sense, it would have read "Akin to the Astros managing to win the WS last year despite Jim Crane."

Linda isn't the coach.

I had no idea Linda wasn't the coach. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Livingstone is the problem. I've seen enough of her Congressional testimony to know that she is the problem.
Got Mulk?
Guitarbiscuit said:

Got Mulk? said:

Guitarbiscuit said:

guadalupeoso said:

oorahpa said:

Linda isn't the coach.

I had no idea Linda wasn't the coach. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Livingstone is the problem. I've seen enough of her Congressional testimony to know that she is the problem.
And you are entitled to your opinion. She replaced a man I considered a friend and who I had great respect for. But she did not fire CAB or Ken Starr. And I don't think she is to blame for our current state of football wins or losses, just as I don't give her much credit for Matt Rhule's and Aranda's Sugar Bowl appearances.
contrario
canoso said:

contrario said:

canoso said:

There are times I ask myself if CAB's biggest mistake/downfall here was his belief that BU really wanted to attain to 1st tier status.
Every time I read a post about CAB, I think about the meme "Sometimes I wonder if they are thinking about me too."

BU really wanted to attain 1st tier status, but Briles' biggest mistake/downfall was accepting the buyout money in exchange for his silence. He miscalculated how powerful the cancel culture is and he really believed this would all blow over and he would be coaching again after a year or two. The fact that this hasn't blown over and he is still a pariah just shows this was more than Briles misunderstanding BU's 1st tier status aspirations because many coaches have been given second chances after making big mistakes. Either what he did was as bad as the media says or his reputation is irreparably ruined because of his inability to defend himself due to NDAs.
Interesting observations. I agree that CAB hobbled himself with the NDAs, though they could not prevent his very effectively defending himself in the recent lawsuit. I disagree about BU really wanting to attain to 1st tier football status; if we had, we would have done it and would still be interested in doing it, and I'm convinced there would be at least 1 natty in the football trophy case. And his still being a pariah is entirely due to the malice of a handful of people whose passion was playing king of the hill. There are too many top level HCs still working after much worse (and proven) actions (or inactions) at big-time programs.
I don't think winning a NC is as easy as you think it is. Even if the whole situation with CAB didn't happen and he was still our coach, there is no guarantee we would have won a NC. I think there is a decent chance we would have and we definitely we would be one of the top teams with him as our coach, but a NC is hard to win. And we are just a couple of years removed from our best season ever at which time we offered an extension to our coach because we wanted to continue to win. Almost any school would have done the exact same thing in the same situation. If Baylor didn't want to win at an elite level, they wouldn't have given him that extension.

I think a lot of people are using the advantage of hindsight to make silly claims.
guadalupeoso
BUATX2000 said:

guadalupeoso said:

drahthaar said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

drahthaar said:

guadalupeoso said:

drahthaar said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

Finally investing in our NIL and building a new football facility is giving up?
This is essential in today's football world no matter the competitive levels so all assumptions are on the table until "they" make clear "their" intentions. Micromanaging recruiting via "character assessments" with a low threshold of mistakes/bad choices/indiscretions is an unrealistic method of "going big" in college athletics and perhaps even in the business world. Who knows with all the closed-shop mindsets emanating out of Pat Neff.
Until Hitler made his intentions totally clear by invading Poland, all assumptions were on the table.

I think taking specific action with NIL and new football facilities, even if it is just a necessary action, is still an action that shows we have not "given up" on the football program. Essentially what you are saying is, "Until we actually win, it's fair to assume that we don't want to win." Which just doesn't make any sense.

Not saying that at all. Building facilities is par for any institution's athletic or academic endeavor and isn't clear evidence of commitment to playing on a competitive level with Bama, Texas, Michigan etc. Being openly aggressive in managing a coaching staff, networking with supporters, providing a high-class game day experience including tailgating, not hamstringing coaching staff recruiting with silly rules or untimely decisions on admissions speaks more about intent than taking a donor's wealth for a building, no matter how well intended or how well the university markets themselves through that.
Baylor has not shot at playing at the highest level of college football consistently. If we are benchmarking Baylor against Alabama and Michigan, we are already outside the realm of what is realistically possible.

One of the major challenges for Baylor is that does it make sense to financially leverage the future when by 2030/2031, the big money teams may have moved on and Baylor would be stuck with that leverage despite not having a clear path to pay it off - whatever that may look like. To be clear here, Baylor cannot win its way to the big boys table.

Briles showed it is indeed possible to do just that. We just read history differently. Now the question of the unmanaged NIL and its final paradigm is another matter and likely is what colors a "we can't do that mindset". Or perhaps it is a "we aren't doing that" philosophy that is the real issue? If so, we ought to say that.
I think the interpretation of the Briles years is overstated by many on this board. Briles was a brilliant coach who showed us that it is possible to win and win big at Baylor in football. He did not show that it was possible to place Baylor on a level playing field with Bama, Texas, Michigan year in and year out. Briles had us consistently punching above our weight. But he never had us at the level where in any given year, the expectation was national championship contention. And he never would have gotten us there, because there are only about 10-12 programs who can realistically have that expectation: Bama, Texas, LSU, Michigan, USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami, Georgia, Florida State, Florida, Oklahoma. That's it. They are the only programs who have the combination of resources, fan support, history, and geography to reasonably expect a national championship level team in any given year.

Sure, maybe a couple other teams might catch lightning in a bottle and win one or two every once in a while, i.e. Clemson, Auburn. Baylor might have even reached the natty game under Briles like TCU did. But Briles did not show that it was possible for Baylor to be included in that list above, because it's not possible. What Briles did was show that Baylor was capable of being competitive and relevant year in an year out. And being competitive and relevant vs. being Alabama are two totally different things.

Florida state was a nursing college, Miami is SMU with better cocaine, Georgia was an afterthought for over a decade, so were Texas and Michigan. You left off Florida and Oregon….

The point is Baylor could have a seat at that table once in a while. It doesn't need to be 5 to 10 years on and then 40 years in the wilderness which seems to be the pattern.

It's like blackjack. Count cards and know when to bet big.
I included Florida and Oregon has never won a national championship and only became relevant in like 2005.

Edit: Also, your post is essentially agreeing with mine. I said that Briles showed we could be consistently competitive, not necessarily national championship competitive, but competitive and relevant. That's a far cry from being in the vein of alabama, texas, Michigan, Ohio state, etc.
canoso
BellCountyBear said:

blackie said:

The answer to the question in the title of the post is no. Several have indicated why and I won't take the space to repeat it. Baylor was never going to be in the P2 regardless of what we do / did on the field. Unless you can magically increase our alumni 10 fold, that (P2), is never going and never was going to happen. If your standing is based on being in P2, you need to find another school to support because it is never going to happen regardless of what the administration wants or does.

And.....please take this "woke" crap to the R&P board. You probably have neighbors and friends that you like that if truth be known under your definition you would label as "woke" because of how they feel about society. Perhaps if more of us old codgers had been a little "woke" growing up we wouldn't have the absolute disaster of a society we have today. That is all I am going to say about it because it really has no place on the sports boards.
It's really not even about the number of alumni a school has. Do you think all those legions of Texas and Alabama fans actually took a single course at either school? Baylor had a fun enough program to follow under Briles that non-alumni, "unwashed" folks started rooting for the Bears. The BOR and inept administration took care of that.

Selling alcohol to the unwashed masses at games might might bring some of them back. Baylor Athletics is like a caste system.
We don't want the unwashed masses. Foster Pavilion is Exhibit A.
canoso
contrario said:

canoso said:

contrario said:

canoso said:

There are times I ask myself if CAB's biggest mistake/downfall here was his belief that BU really wanted to attain to 1st tier status.
Every time I read a post about CAB, I think about the meme "Sometimes I wonder if they are thinking about me too."

BU really wanted to attain 1st tier status, but Briles' biggest mistake/downfall was accepting the buyout money in exchange for his silence. He miscalculated how powerful the cancel culture is and he really believed this would all blow over and he would be coaching again after a year or two. The fact that this hasn't blown over and he is still a pariah just shows this was more than Briles misunderstanding BU's 1st tier status aspirations because many coaches have been given second chances after making big mistakes. Either what he did was as bad as the media says or his reputation is irreparably ruined because of his inability to defend himself due to NDAs.
Interesting observations. I agree that CAB hobbled himself with the NDAs, though they could not prevent his very effectively defending himself in the recent lawsuit. I disagree about BU really wanting to attain to 1st tier football status; if we had, we would have done it and would still be interested in doing it, and I'm convinced there would be at least 1 natty in the football trophy case. And his still being a pariah is entirely due to the malice of a handful of people whose passion was playing king of the hill. There are too many top level HCs still working after much worse (and proven) actions (or inactions) at big-time programs.
I don't think winning a NC is as easy as you think it is. Even if the whole situation with CAB didn't happen and he was still our coach, there is no guarantee we would have won a NC. I think there is a decent chance we would have and we definitely we would be one of the top teams with him as our coach, but a NC is hard to win. And we are just a couple of years removed from our best season ever at which time we offered an extension to our coach because we wanted to continue to win. Almost any school would have done the exact same thing in the same situation. If Baylor didn't want to win at an elite level, they wouldn't have given him that extension.

I think a lot of people are using the advantage of hindsight to make silly claims.
Al contrario.
blackie
canoso said:

BellCountyBear said:

blackie said:

The answer to the question in the title of the post is no. Several have indicated why and I won't take the space to repeat it. Baylor was never going to be in the P2 regardless of what we do / did on the field. Unless you can magically increase our alumni 10 fold, that (P2), is never going and never was going to happen. If your standing is based on being in P2, you need to find another school to support because it is never going to happen regardless of what the administration wants or does.

And.....please take this "woke" crap to the R&P board. You probably have neighbors and friends that you like that if truth be known under your definition you would label as "woke" because of how they feel about society. Perhaps if more of us old codgers had been a little "woke" growing up we wouldn't have the absolute disaster of a society we have today. That is all I am going to say about it because it really has no place on the sports boards.
It's really not even about the number of alumni a school has. Do you think all those legions of Texas and Alabama fans actually took a single course at either school? Baylor had a fun enough program to follow under Briles that non-alumni, "unwashed" folks started rooting for the Bears. The BOR and inept administration took care of that.

Selling alcohol to the unwashed masses at games might might bring some of them back. Baylor Athletics is like a caste system.
We don't want the unwashed masses. Foster Pavilion is Exhibit A.
The unwashed masses never were interested. Low cost tickets, free tickets, giveaways never mattered. No point to having an arena that alumni (many not within reasonable driving distance based on work schedules for mid-week games) can not fill on a consistent basis and then having plenty of seats available for the opponent's local fans. Baylor fans have had more than multitudes of opportunities to show they can make up for their lower alumni population and fill larger venues and prove to the media that we can bring enough eyeballs to be considered for the P2 level conferences. The size of the pavilion makes sense. Additionally more and more people choose to stream games or watch games on their TV's, some by choice and some because of financial constraints.
boykin_spaniel
Some interesting points being made and some… not.

I have optimism for Baylor but putting on a realist hat let's not forget Boise St was a perennial top 10 team and never got a call up to the P5. Why? Relatively new school with a smaller fan base in an isolated state with no major population centers within a 3 hours drive. Boise is a cool town but if it drew a million viewers a week then Fox and ESPN would've pushed a conference to take them. We took UCF for the potential viewers and Florida. The Big10 took Rutgers for NYC not its subpar athletics. They would've taken Pitt if they wanted a geographical fit and we would've taken Boise St if we wanted a consistent winning team over ASU or Colorado.

College football is all about the Benjamins and has been for longer than we want to accept. It was a dirty secret buried in a basement and now it's wearing an Armani suit with a diamond plated Rolex and strolling down the street to hop in its Bentley. The Bentley and Rolex have been there for some time. They were just in the hidden basement.

For optimism- Baylor has endured. We survived the fracturing of the Southwest. We bounced back from a scandal. We have 3 Big 12 titles to Texas' 1 in the past decade. We have national titles in basketball. Also Nick Saban and Ohio St need some cannon fodder to fill out their schedules. I think the break from the NCAA could include more teams than expected.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.