Football
Sponsored by

Early but 2025 recruiting

7,352 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by boognish_bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
BigGameBaylorBear
Love the momentum
chorne68
Lowest average.
blackie
So now average matters? We were told here that it didn't matter in 2024, only the actual rating which takes into account the number of signees. I guess the stats chosen can be used to support whatever opinion one wants to have on the quality of a class.

It seems at this point that for 2025 none of it matters because there are so few commitments out of the population of potential recruits at this point to draw any conclusions.
ScottS
Average seems like it would be very important as it shows the quality you have.
Bandito
blackie said:

So now average matters? We were told here that it didn't matter in 2024, only the actual rating which takes into account the number of signees. I guess the stats chosen can be used to support whatever opinion one wants to have on the quality of a class.

It seems at this point that for 2025 none of it matters because there are so few commitments out of the population of potential recruits at this point to draw any conclusions.

Let's just forget averages and overall ratings. Until this COACH actually shows that he can do something with his recruits all that other stuff doesn't matter. As far as him doing something with his recruits I think it's Captain Obvious that he hasn't shown much. Look I'm just as hopeful as the next guy that the infusion of Spavital and his offense will help, but based on what I've seen the last couple of years and this defense I'm very skeptical.
blackie
Bandito said:

blackie said:

Let's just forget averages and overall ratings. Until this COACH actually shows that he can do something with his recruits all that other stuff doesn't matter. As far as him doing something with his recruits I think it's Captain Obvious that he hasn't shown much. Look I'm just as hopeful as the next guy that the infusion of Spavital and his offense will help, but based on what I've seen the last couple of years and this defense I'm very skeptical.
I agree with your first statement. I also think you will find that I have never started a thread on recruiting, high school or otherwise. I have seen too many high ranked recruits never last and seen walk-ons reach All-American status. I just think it amusing that people will switch the argument to satisfy whatever message they want to project. I really don't follow it that closely.

I have no specific outlook on the future worth arguing about. Over my life, I have seen seemingly hopeless situations turn out fine. I have also seen optimistic situations fall through the floor. As far as the infusion of Spavital I would agree with your assessment, although I think a better offense can help the defense, from two standpoints. The first is that the defense will not be on the field as much and perhaps not fade at the end in games as they did against Utah and WV and they should be able to play with more confidence and aggression because when they do make a mistake they won't always be back on the field after 4 plays because the offense went 3 and out on a consistent basis.

With Aranda taking over the defense, I would expect improvement based on his track record in that area. I just don't understand why he wouldn't have taken it over a lot sooner. I think he was keeping a hands-off approach to give Powledge a chance to prove himself. That was obviously a mistake. Even in the business world, leaders sometimes let a failing situation last too long because they want to give an employee in a new position who they believe in a full opportunity to work things out and be a long-term highly successful employee, and often times that is the end result, but certainly not always. In business early failures can often times not be seen by the public or shareholders and we don't even know they happened. Different story when you are on national TV on the weekend. This may be what Baylor is doing with Aranda and what Aranda did with Powledge. I don't know. I only know I have no control over it, or even know the inside stories about it and no reason to spend a lot of time beating the same dead horse over and over again.
BUGWBBear
Bandito said:

blackie said:

Me too. Another 3-8 and watch those commits flee.
blackie
BUGWBBear said:

Bandito said:

blackie said:

I'm still looking for all the transfers (out) that were heavily predicted on this board. Face it, we have no idea how the mind of an 18 year-old thinks and now, how much money makes a difference.
BUGWBBear
blackie said:

BUGWBBear said:

Bandito said:

blackie said:

I'm still looking for all the transfers (out) that were heavily predicted on this board. Face it, we have no idea how the mind of an 18 year-old thinks and now, how much money makes a difference.

I'm concerned in the level of coaching and leadership from Head Coach Zippy. He is the face of the program and if he and his staff cannot properly direct, develop, strength train, coach up, and have a direction of success that any 18-year old can realize and buy into, NIL is irrelevant.

Period.
CorsicanaBear
2025 recruiting will be out they window. All will be reshuffled after we CDA is fired mid season after. going 1-4, 1-5 or 1-6, whenever the decision is made. I know I'm going out on a limb by assuming we will beat Tarleton State, but that's the only win I see on the schedule.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Aberzombie1892
blackie said:

This 100%.

Of the 11 Big 12 teams with a commit as of 12/27/23, Baylor's Overall average rating per player ranks it #7 - which doesn't mean much given how early it is, but that average rating per player is both in line with Baylor's average ratings over the tracking era and is in the top half of the Big 12's classes for 2025.
ZachTay
CorsicanaBear said:

2025 recruiting will be out they window. All will be reshuffled after we CDA is fired mid season after. going 1-4, 1-5 or 1-6, whenever the decision is made. I know I'm going out on a limb by assuming we will beat Tarleton State, but that's the only win I see on the schedule.
This.....only that it'll be the end of next season.
Mack isn't firing Aranda mid-season.
Wouldn't be appreciated......
PartyBear
blackie said:

BUGWBBear said:

Bandito said:

blackie said:

Yes literally everything predicted here that would happen if we kept Aranda, be it mass exodus of players, not finding anyone who will come here to coach for Aranda, not getting anything out of the portal etc have not only not come to pass but the opposite has occurred thus far.
bear2be2
PartyBear said:

blackie said:

BUGWBBear said:

Bandito said:

blackie said:

Yes literally everything predicted here that would happen if we kept Aranda, be it mass exodus of players, not finding anyone who will come here to coach for Aranda, not getting anything out of the portal etc have not only not come to pass but the opposite has occurred thus far.
I think it's been a solid offseason so far and could be an objectively good one by the end of this portal cycle. But at this point, on-field results are the only thing that matter and the only thing that will get fans off Dave Aranda's back.

It is what it is. That's what happens when your coach takes a championship level product to 3-9 in two years and your AD elects to bring that guy back for a fifth season with no competitive justification.

Dave Aranda has lost all benefit of the doubt -- and the goodwill of most fans. He will be judged exclusively on wins and losses going forward. I think that's fair and I think he understands that.

I lose patience with those who feel a need to take a negative view of objectively positive things -- just as I do the opposite. But I also understand those who have given up on Aranda as Baylor's football coach and aren't particularly interested in celebrating secondary and tertiary achievements.

At this point, he wins or he's gone. Keeping players, hiring competent staff, adding some talented transfers for next year and getting off to a good start with our 2025 class are all good things. But they literally mean nothing to the present or future of our program if we don't win next season.

That dynamic makes it difficult for fans to buy in, especially after enduring losing seasons in three of Aranda's four on campus.
Aberzombie1892
bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

blackie said:

BUGWBBear said:

Bandito said:

blackie said:

I think it's been a solid offseason so far and could be an objectively good one by the end of this portal cycle. But at this point, on-field results are the only thing that matter and the only thing that will get fans off Dave Aranda's back.

It is what it is. That's what happens when your coach takes a championship level product to 3-9 in two years and your AD elects to bring that guy back for a fifth season with no competitive justification.

Dave Aranda has lost all benefit of the doubt -- and the goodwill of most fans. He will be judged exclusively on wins and losses going forward. I think that's fair and I think he understands that.

I lose patience with those who feel a need to take a negative view of objectively positive things -- just as I do the opposite. But I also understand those who have given up on Aranda as Baylor's football coach and aren't particularly interested in celebrating secondary and tertiary achievements.

At this point, he wins or he's gone. Keeping players, hiring competent staff, adding some talented transfers for next year and getting off to a good start with our 2025 class are all good things. But they literally mean nothing to the present or future of our program if we don't win next season.

That dynamic makes it difficult for fans to buy in, especially after enduring losing seasons in three of Aranda's four on campus.
No one is disputing that Aranda has lost the benefit of the doubt. The challenges in this thread (and several others) is that some take the stance that the sky is falling even in the face of objectively positive or neutral news. To that end Party Bear's examples are on point.
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

PartyBear said:

blackie said:

BUGWBBear said:

Bandito said:

blackie said:

No one is disputing that Aranda has lost the benefit of the doubt. The challenges in this thread (and several others) is that some take the stance that the sky is falling even in the face of objectively positive or neutral news. To that end Party Bear's examples are on point.
I think that's a defense mechanism for people who don't want to be burned by Dave Aranda a second time, which is childish but human nature.

That said, I don't blame anyone who has decided they're no longer interested in or up to celebrating off-field "wins" with this staff, particularly given how over the top the celebration of such things so often is on this site.
Daveisabovereproach
PartyBear said:

blackie said:

BUGWBBear said:

Bandito said:

blackie said:

What predictions? I don't remember anybody predicting that literally no transfers would come here or that we literally would not be able to replace position coaches. This is a weird defense of Aranda IMHO

A. We have won 9 games out of the last 25. A mass exodus of players may have been for the best

B. Jury is still out on the quality of coaches. Not overly impressed with the offensive line hire. Probably upgraded running back coach. Offensive coordinator is a wash objectively. Grimes and Mateos both immediately got P5 gigs again, so clearly the football world doesn't view them as garbage, and you could make an argument that they were scapegoated so that aranda could prove that he was trying something different

C. I'm glad that we're getting players out of the portal. That has more to do with the fact that we are finally opening up the coffers of NIL money and less to do with how amazing Aranda is. I'm not discrediting that the players like Aranda, but what's not to like about a coach that isn't going to pressure his players to win and instead takes the warm grandfatherly approach while also paying them to stay and get a 100% free college education?
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear said:

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

We be Jamin!
BigGameBaylorBear
The new OL coach is kicking butt with the recruiting. Waiting to see what our new RB coach brings in, he's an excellent recruiter
boognish_bear
He's committed to SMU. Might be one our new RB coach can flip. Also has an offer from Arky.

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
EasyE
blackie said:

Average is what really matters. Rating based off of numbers is ridiculous. Would you rather have a class of 10 5-stars or 25 3-stars?
morethanhecouldbear
Class rankings never meant much to me. Both Briles and Rhule showed you can find guys that were missed and under ranked. I've also seen coaches take supposedly great players and do very little with them (aTm, Tenn, USC etc)

The rankings mean even less now with the portal and NIL because there's no guarantee they are actually coming and even if they do, will they stay?
boognish_bear
From national recruiting analyst

boognish_bear
Caden getting the word out

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.