Football
Sponsored by

NIL free for all

4,571 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by monsterbear61
hodedofome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nike sells a lot more than shoes though, and out of any of the current college sponsors, they can actually calculate a ROI from their sponsorship.

The ROI may turn out to be poor as you suggest, but if it's good, then they'll be able to justify gobs of money. We're not talking about a car dealership here.
montypython
hodedofome said:

The ROI may turn out to be poor as you suggest, but if it's good, then they'll be able to justify gobs of money. We're not talking about a car dealership here.
I think the only risk they will take is on a college athlete who has already proven himself / herself and who has a great shot of success in the pros. Anything less (an unproven high school kid) is 100% risk

parch
This is where NIL starts eroding locker rooms. Y'all think his teammates are pumped about QB1 flying around on his own while they all pile in the tube together?

boognish_bear
I didn't think NIL money was coming directly from schools yet....

bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

I didn't think NIL money was coming directly from schools yet....

Revenue sharing is coming sooner than later. There will be a lot more staff cutting when it gets here.
OsoCoreyell
I can't decide which I hate more - the NIL free to just pay players now, or the free transfer rules. It's like the worst version of the NFL.

There was always some concern about the mercenary nature of the coaches and players, but now that it has been laid bare, it is impossible to invest anything in any of them. They don't care about my school. Maybe they never did, but it wasn't plainly obvious. Now it is and so my investment in them is also out.
cowboycwr
OsoCoreyell said:

I can't decide which I hate more - the NIL free to just pay players now, or the free transfer rules. It's like the worst version of the NFL.

There was always some concern about the mercenary nature of the coaches and players, but now that it has been laid bare, it is impossible to invest anything in any of them. They don't care about my school. Maybe they never did, but it wasn't plainly obvious. Now it is and so my investment in them is also out.
Seems like it won't be long before some sort of contract comes out... Maybe not a multi year thing like you see in the pros but at least something like a one year thing where you don't get the second part of the NIL payment until you resign the contract.

OF course with stipulations in the contract for things like being cut, coach leaving, etc.
boognish_bear
Wild Wild West

Iron Claw
I have said for several years we need to get back to the old bowl system. I guess with a super conference the rest of the teams can go back to that.
OsoCoreyell
The problem is that all they can see is the large broadcast rights numbers. But that's based on an existing brand and fan loyalty. In the new world where everyone can transfer anytime and the players are transparently in it for the money only and will leave the second they can make more elsewhere, I don't know that is sustainable.

NIL and the transfer rules are killing the product.
boognish_bear
This is basketball…but I'm sure the college football coaches feel the same thing.

I know no one will feel too sorry for these coaches making millions of dollars… But I think it does suck the ground beneath their feet has totally shifted from what they've known forever.

cowboycwr
boognish_bear said:

This is basketball…but I'm sure the college football coaches feel the same thing.

I know no one will feel too sorry for these coaches making millions of dollars… But I think it does suck the ground beneath their feet has totally shifted from what they've known forever.

Was it Saban that talked about how you not only have to recruit the high school kids but you also have to recruit you own current players now? That seems more and more true every day that something new comes out and every transfer portal window that opens.
boognish_bear
cowboycwr said:

boognish_bear said:

Was it Saban that talked about how you not only have to recruit the high school kids but you also have to recruit you own current players now? That seems more and more true every day that something new comes out and every transfer portal window that opens.

It was Prime that said that. I think recruiting was already the least attractive part of the job…now it's even worse.
monsterbear61
I wholeheartedly agree with the dig on the NCAA. That organization is just a complete failure.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.