Football
Sponsored by

your a.d. is a candidate for the nebraska job ...

6,895 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by EuropeBear
tmcats
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i find this somewhat surprising given the state of baylor football. any thoughts on rhoades replacing trev alberts at lincoln?
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Hope Mack gets a huge raise and lives happily ever after in Lincoln. For our next AD, we should seriously consider that guy at Liberty. He seems to win wherever he goes!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Cove Dawg
Yes please!
Daveisabovereproach
Oh man that would be such an awesome move by Nebraska. I will be crying myself to sleep for weeks if we lose Mack. Don't do it Nebraska. He would be awesome for you guys, but don't do it
Daveisabovereproach
I want someone who is more focused on hiring and retaining winning coaches rather than campaigning for new buildings.
ALLBEAR
yes, I would like a less egotistical AD as well
CTbruin
You guys might not care for our AD, but he has done some good things. Is well thought of in college circles. And he was very instrumental in the new Big 12.
TinFoilHatPreacherBear
CTbruin said:

You guys might not care for our AD, but he has done some good things. Is well thought of in college circles. And he was very instrumental in the new Big 12.

Maybe he's good, maybe not. I don't know. Only thing that isn't down under his watch is Men's basketball, currently anyway. We'll see about that as CSD gets looks from other universities.

Not sure being well thought of adds wins, but better than not being well thought of.

And what'd he do for the new B12 that he was instrumental in?
Golden Helmet
Please take him.
BUGWBBear
Purty please.
Edmond Bear
tmcats said:

i find this somewhat surprising given the state of baylor football. any thoughts on rhoades replacing trev alberts at lincoln?

You are a few days behind. aggies gonna hire Nebraska's AD

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/trev-alberts-texas-aggies-athletic-director-18965754.php
jikespingleton
Edmond Bear said:

tmcats said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/trev-alberts-texas-aggies-athletic-director-18965754.php

You are new at this, aren't you?
morethanhecouldbear
tmcats said:

If he is a candidate then the people up there must be as dumb as the writer who wrote this for the Omaha World Herald:

"Rhoades brought in Rhule from Temple after the 2016 season and has led a golden age in Bears athletics with their first national titles in men's and women's basketball.."

Nebraska, take Rhoades. Please. He'll lead the Cornhuskers to a new golden age in athletics..
BUGWBBear
morethanhecouldbear said:

tmcats said:

If he is a candidate then the people up there must be as dumb as the writer who wrote this for the Omaha World Herald:

"Rhoades brought in Rhule from Temple after the 2016 season and has led a golden age in Bears athletics with their first national titles in men's and women's basketball.."

Nebraska, take Rhoades. Please. He'll lead the Cornhuskers to a new golden age in athletics..

Not to mention Rhule has his sucker back to parlay raises because NFL is allegedly calling him again.
Edmond Bear
jikespingleton said:

Edmond Bear said:

tmcats said:

Yeah. I see your point.

Going to have to chalk this one up to distracted reading.

ALLBEAR
CTbruin said:

Lol no one knows the full extent of his involvement in the new big 12 so stop it. I know the pay side makes it out that way... He did get rid of Baylor's winningest coach in Kim
Bexar Pitts
Edmond Bear said:

jikespingleton said:

Edmond Bear said:

tmcats said:

Yeah. I see your point.

Going to have to chalk this one up to distracted reading.

Edmond, just wait 'til you're my age...I've come to really appreciate Ross Perot's "Measure Twice, Cut Once" slogan. :-)
ZachTay
A Bigger paycheck takes him. Doesn't matter which school that is.

Thanks Linda.........
Golden Helmet
We could not afford her….
Aliceinbubbleland
CTbruin said:

And who are those in the college circle that think so highly of a person who cannot string together a sentence without 10 uhs and you knows? Please inform us of your inside circle. And as far as the new Big 12 we were going to be included whether or not Mac was the AD.

Maybe Rhule was throwing his name into the hat because Mac hired him for us and sent Rhule a boatload of money.
Mitch Henessey
Aliceinbubbleland said:

CTbruin said:

And who are those in the college circle that think so highly of a person who cannot string together a sentence without 10 uhs and you knows? Please inform us of your inside circle. And as far as the new Big 12 we were going to be included whether or not Mac was the AD.

Maybe Rhule was throwing his name into the hat because Mac hired him for us and sent Rhule a boatload of money.
Rhoades is on the CFP Committee, so it's clearly obvious he's well-regarded in the world of college athletics. You don't get appointed to that out of pity.
BUGWBBear
ALLBEAR said:

CTbruin said:

Lol no one knows the full extent of his involvement in the new big 12 so stop it. I know the pay side makes it out that way... He did get rid of Baylor's winningest coach in Kim

And hired an idiot for a football HC.
Daveisabovereproach
Anyways, more to the point, he isn't going anywhere. He's two years into a 10 year extension, and even if some other team kind of likes him, they are not going to pay that buyout.
morethanhecouldbear
CTbruin said:

You guys might not care for our AD, but he has done some good things.
He's 1 for 5.

THE GOOD:
1-1 Hired Rhule, who quickly turned the program around and won 11 games. The Baylor team that would win the Big 12 and Sugar Bowl were Rhules guys.

THE BAD:
1-2 Hired Aranda. Initially this was thought of as a great hire after we won the B12. However, I guess people didn't think about the fact that all of the key players were Rhules guys who were getting 1-2 years of extra eligibility due to COVID. Now that it's all Aranda's guys - we won 3 games.
1-3 Lost Kim Mulkey. This alone should get someone fired.
1-4 Kept Rodriguez on for too long (baseball). Fail.
1-5 Hired Nikki. We have (arguably) become worse each year under her leadership. It is clear we cannot compete for the Big 12 Crown.
morethanhecouldbear
BUGWBBear said:

tmcats said:

Not to mention Rhule has his sucker back to parlay raises because NFL is allegedly calling him again.

?

What does that mean?
Space Cutter
Nebraska if want some super great university leaders then come to Baylor. There's none better than our lady president and our AD. Maybe we can work a two-fer.

Don't over think this and move fast!
Stranger
Mitch Henessey said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

CTbruin said:

Rhoades is on the CFP Committee, so it's clearly obvious he's well-regarded in the world of college athletics. You don't get appointed to that out of pity.

cfp is a dubious honor
I'm a Bearbacker
ALLBEAR
Stranger said:

Mitch Henessey said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

CTbruin said:

cfp is a dubious honor
Thank you. Its a round robin setup
Aberzombie1892
Give Baylor's relative financial constraints - conference payout pay cut for 2023-2024 and for 2024-2025, conference payout uncertainty for 2030-on, dramatic gap in revenue/CFP access/exposure with the P2 starting in 2024-2025, etc. - what would some of you want a successor to try to do in order to be successful that Mack isn't doing that wouldn't require spending much larger sums of money?
Daveisabovereproach
Aberzombie1892 said:

Give Baylor's relative financial constraints - conference payout pay cut for 2023-2024 and for 2024-2025, conference payout uncertainty for 2030-on, dramatic gap in revenue/CFP access/exposure with the P2 starting in 2024-2025, etc. - what would some of you want a successor to try to do in order to be successful that Mack isn't doing that wouldn't require spending much larger sums of money?

We've been over this. Baylor's resources aren't worse than Kansas, TCU, Kansas State, and probably not much worse than Utah. Firing Dave after last season was the obvious move, and Mack should've done everything in his power to get it done. The fact that KANSAS currently has a much better trajectory in football than we do should make everyone sick, but as long as we get our shiny new buildings, it's all good. Interesting that we had money to build all these buildings and finally step our NIL game up, but the money just wasn't there to fire Dave? yeah, I don't believe it for a second. Or should we all just be happy with getting beat by Air Force and Texas State and going 0.500, because we're scrubby little Baylor?
BUGWBBear

BUGWBBear said:

tmcats said:

?

What does that mean?

Learn some history regarding Rhule's supposedly getting calls from the Colts after his first season and how Rhodes extended his contract so's not to lose him.
Aberzombie1892
No Quarterback said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

We've been over this. Baylor's resources aren't worse than Kansas, TCU, Kansas State, and probably not much worse than Utah. Firing Dave after last season was the obvious move, and Mack should've done everything in his power to get it done. The fact that KANSAS currently has a much better trajectory in football than we do should make everyone sick, but as long as we get our shiny new buildings, it's all good. Interesting that we had money to build all these buildings and finally step our NIL game up, but the money just wasn't there to fire Dave? yeah, I don't believe it for a second. Or should we all just be happy with getting beat by Air Force and Texas State and going 0.500, because we're scrubby little Baylor?

This doesn't quite answer the question in the quoted post. Any ideas?
PartyBear
I think Rhoades is already one of the higher paid if not among the highest paid AD's out there. He make close to what Del Conte was recently extended to at UT for perspective. I also think Rhoades was recently extended as well. I imagine a buyout is pretty high.
drahthaar
Mitch Henessey said:

Aliceinbubbleland said:

CTbruin said:

Very little at that level is merit-based.

How's that for cynicism?
baylorfan1995

CTbruin said:

You guys might not care for our AD, but he has done some good things.
He's 1 for 5.

THE GOOD:
1-1 Hired Rhule, who quickly turned the program around and won 11 games. The Baylor team that would win the Big 12 and Sugar Bowl were Rhules guys.

THE BAD:
1-2 Hired Aranda. Initially this was thought of as a great hire after we won the B12. However, I guess people didn't think about the fact that all of the key players were Rhules guys who were getting 1-2 years of extra eligibility due to COVID. Now that it's all Aranda's guys - we won 3 games.
1-3 Lost Kim Mulkey. This alone should get someone fired.
1-4 Hired Rodriguez (baseball). Fail.
1-5 Hired Nikki. We have (arguably) become worse each year under her leadership. It is clear we cannot compete for the Big 12 Crown.
Did he hire Rod? I swear that was Ian
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.