Football
Sponsored by

How the new College Football Playoff format came to be and what it means for the spor

613 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by cowboycwr
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
BUGWBBear
A significant amount of crying, bytching, moaning, whining, until the CFP cried "UNCLE!!!".

That's how.
cowboycwr
I wish Saban had not retired. I wanted to see how he would fare in a playoff where he did not have as much time to prepare for a team. I think that is why they always did well in the first game of the year, bowls and national championship games because he had a lot of time to just focus on that one team, prep, watch film, etc.

I am not saying that is why they won, just why they so often did so well in those games. As in, I think he was one of those coaches that when he had 3 weeks or more to prep for a game against an opponent he could really find the weaknesses, match up for their strengths, etc.
cowboycwr
As to the article it says pretty much what everyone has been saying for years. The rich are getting richer and want to create their own level of college football and basically it will kill college football as we know it, along with NIL, transfers, slow death of the NCAA, etc.
guadalupeoso
Saban was a great game planner, no doubt. But the reason they had so much success, and I've heard him say this many times, and Kirby Smart would tell yo uthe same thing, is that they had better players.

I know people on this board think that you can carve out a career where you are like Bill Snyder and your program does more with less. There are a few coaches who can consistently do that (we had one of them once upon a time). But for the most part, if you want to consistently be in the conversation for championships, be that at the conference, NY6, or Playoff level, you have to consistently recruit and get better players than your opponents. It really is that "simple."

The Blue Chip ratio is real and no one had a better grasp on that than Nick Saban.
cowboycwr
guadalupeoso said:

Saban was a great game planner, no doubt. But the reason they had so much success, and I've heard him say this many times, and Kirby Smart would tell yo uthe same thing, is that they had better players.

I know people on this board think that you can carve out a career where you are like Bill Snyder and your program does more with less. There are a few coaches who can consistently do that (we had one of them once upon a time). But for the most part, if you want to consistently be in the conversation for championships, be that at the conference, NY6, or Playoff level, you have to consistently recruit and get better players than your opponents. It really is that "simple."

The Blue Chip ratio is real and no one had a better grasp on that than Nick Saban.
Did you read my post?

I acknowledged everything you just said in my post.
guadalupeoso
Where? I don't see any of that in your post?
cowboycwr
guadalupeoso said:

Where? I don't see any of that in your post?
When I said "this is not why they won." It was summarizing everything you said and that his planning is why against other teams with similar skill level (the playoff teams they played) they played so well and were so well prepared. I just didn't write it out in a long paragraph like you did.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.